Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

East Wall, Dublin 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Belfunk wrote: »

And a drive-through restaurant. Big Mac anyone? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭thesiren

Belfunk wrote: »

That's great news...I've been living close to the proposed site for over a year, and am not a fan of the fact that the local shops are overpriced with bad stock (frequently the produce is well out of date), so it'll be nice to shop a bit more cheaply and not have to rely on Tesco deliveries etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

thesiren wrote: »
    That's great news...I've been living close to the proposed site for over a year, and am not a fan of the fact that the local shops are overpriced with bad stock (frequently the produce is well out of date), so it'll be nice to shop a bit more cheaply and not have to rely on Tesco deliveries etc.

There is an Aldi right across the road from this site. Do you not shop there?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭thesiren

There is an Aldi right across the road from this site. Do you not shop there?

Yes, but it doesn't have as great a range of products as Lidl, and I've found Aldi more expensive for a lot of stuff than Lidl

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Replicate

I'm so looking forward to seeing the eye sore being demolished. Lidl's bread is so much better than Aldi and I definitely think it will be a great thing for the area. Wish we could see some progress on the other derelict buildings and sites too...anyone with any interesting news on that front?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭subpar

The Relocation of the Central Bank to the unfinished Anglo Building on the North Wall Quay will be by far the biggest factor in changing the whole image of the general area.

The amount of additional retail outlets that will open up to service the 1500 staff will be considerable. Work is expected to start this summer , in time for an opening in 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

subpar wrote: »
    The Relocation of the Central Bank to the unfinished Anglo Building on the North Wall Quay will be by far the biggest factor in changing the the whole image of the general area.

The amount of additional retail outlets that will open up to service the 1500 staff will be considerable. Work is expected to start this summer , in time for an opening in 2016.

Would all the builders bring an extra retail outlets sooner that 2016 I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

and am not a fan of the fact that the local shops are overpriced with bad stock

Local butchers a proper old school butcher with sides being delivered and butchered instead of the vac pack deliveries you get in some butchers. His prices are very keen, particularly on cheaper cuts. The beef looks to be Hereford or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,413 ✭✭✭✭cson

No way the new Central Bank building will be finished in 1.5yrs or less. That site has been derelict for 6 years at this stage; there'll be all sorts wrong with it.

I think a Lidl and McDonalds will do really well there, could well see those developments accelerate regeneration in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭risteardo

Yes, but it doesn't have as great a range of products as Lidl, and I've found Aldi more expensive for a lot of stuff than Lidl

That's interesting to hear. The local Aldi is my only experience of both, and I would always have considered Aldi and Lidl interchangeable. But perhaps that's not the case after all....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

risteardo wrote: »
    That's interesting to hear. The local Aldi is my only experience of both, and I would always have considered Aldi and Lidl interchangeable. But perhaps that's not the case after all....

I'd be more of a LIDL fan too. Both perfectly fine, but Aldi more of a Perri crisps vibe compared to the King of LIDL.

spurious wrote: »
    I'd be more of a LIDL fan too. Both perfectly fine, but Aldi more of a Perri crisps vibe compared to the King of LIDL.
    Anyone who's got any news on what's happening now as the development has received planning permission? Any reason why it wouldn't go ahead?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

Replicate wrote: »
    Anyone who's got any news on what's happening now as the development has received planning permission? Any reason why it wouldn't go ahead?

Planning permission was received just over 1 month ago. These things take time to reach construction stage.

Separately, there is a demand for a further Lidl / Aldi outlet in the Docklands area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Whig2014

Hi, I'm currently looking at buying a property on the West Road side of East Wall. Would anyone living around there have any advice on whether or not it's a decent location?

I've read through the thread with interest. I enjoy city centre living and have no problem with a few dodgy looking characters or whatever hanging around. My experience is that if you don't bother them they won't bother you. I've noticed the mouthy kids floating around too, but kids don't worry me.

My two main concerns regarding the West Road section are the proximity to the train lines and the risk of flooding, I know precautions have been put in place since 2002, is there still an above-average flood risk here? And do people still have difficulties insuring their homes?

With the train lines running so close to West Road, I know there's sure to be some rail traffic audible, but I wonder how bad it is? Do freight trains run all through the night? I've checked out the area at all times of the day and night and haven't seen/heard too many trains going past. It's still a concern though.

From what I can gather, there's no more risk of burglary/vandalism to cars/anti-social behaviour in East Wall than anywhere else in the city centre - am I right to have this impression?

Any info or advice is much appreciated.

Whig2014 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm currently looking at buying a property on the West Road side of East Wall. Would anyone living around there have any advice on whether or not it's a decent location?

I've read through the thread with interest. I enjoy city centre living and have no problem with a few dodgy looking characters or whatever hanging around. My experience is that if you don't bother them they won't bother you. I've noticed the mouthy kids floating around too, but kids don't worry me.

My two main concerns regarding the West Road section are the proximity to the train lines and the risk of flooding, I know precautions have been put in place since 2002, is there still an above-average flood risk here? And do people still have difficulties insuring their homes?

With the train lines running so close to West Road, I know there's sure to be some rail traffic audible, but I wonder how bad it is? Do freight trains run all through the night? I've checked out the area at all times of the day and night and haven't seen/heard too many trains going past. It's still a concern though.

From what I can gather, there's no more risk of burglary/vandalism to cars/anti-social behaviour in East Wall than anywhere else in the city centre - am I right to have this impression?

Any info or advice is much appreciated.

I live just off West Road for the last six years and the area is safe. We have two young kids and I've never had any issues with anti social behaviour. We've had a few minor things stolen from our car once (forgot to lock it and roof window prevented the auto lock) but nothing else. This part of EW is very quiet to be honest.

There's been issues alright with the flooding, but I think it depends on the insurance company as we've never had any issues. Worth looking into though before you buy. The DART Underground is still being discussed which will impact the area once work commence though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mate1

Hi All

Has anyone any info about Lidl in east wall, they got final permision in may, I've been following it on dublincity web, but nothing seems to be happening there, also no activity on the actual site, was wondering if anyone knows anything???

All I know is that we received a note in the post from councilor Nial Ring stating that the project was delayed. No reason why as of yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mate1

Hi all

still nothing in relation to works commencing on the former cahill printer. anyone has any news when the Lidl project might kick off? also accross the road next to Aloco kitchens looks like something is about to start, any ideas what is happening there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

New Yahoo! office behind the Odeon cinema. Anyone know what department it is?

Its YAHOO'S European Headquarters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Hydration

Hi all, my car was damaged a few days ago on the East Road outside Teeling Way (near bus stop). When I found the car it had cones surrounding it and was covered in dirt. About two hours later all the construction stuff was gone including the cones. I called the guards but there is not much they can do as there is no CCTV. There was a certain company digging up the path on behalf of a telecommunications company. I am just wondering does anybody know how many nights they were there for? Or any other information that might be helpful? Thanks.

Is that near the old Hirecco building? Was it a Fiat? If it's the stop I'm thinking of they weren't there more than a few days.

Hi Tristram, thanks for your reply. Yes that was my car that was parked at the bus stop near the old Hirecco building. The company involved is ignoring my phone calls and emails. Do you know by any chance which night they first arrived?

I'm sorry I don't remember much other than thinking "oh that's a weird spot for a car to be, wonder why it's surrounded by all those cones, maybe it crashed into the lamp-post".

Sorry for your trouble.

Yeah it was a bit odd the way they put cones all around the car alright. I parked it there on the Friday and if I had known they were going to dig up the path beside the car I would not have parked it there. I think they should have put up a sign or something to warn the public not to park there. Dublin City Council were very helpful in providing information but I am getting nowhere with the company that dug up the path. Thanks for your help Tristram.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭sheepo

Good to see building work started at Cahill's Printworks. Some of the wall knocked down on the Church Road side, a digger tipping away in there and site offices set up.

Hopefully it will move quickly now!

Excellent news.

There is a real sense of life and activity around the point village too which is very welcome and with work now recommenced to complete the Central Bank it is bound to bring further commercial activity into the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭sheepo

Yeah, great to see work in Cahills and the Central Bank, will make a huge difference to the area.

I know it's a small thing but even seeing builders in the area, heading in to Centra to get hot chicken rolls is great to see!

Big progress in the last week , with almost the entire perimeter wall demolished which opens up the whole site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I'm praying its a MacDonalds going in to the Cahill Printers site. I don't like MacDonalds regular food but the breakfast menu is nice. If its a Burger King i'm in trouble. Love it.

If its a KFC id be sick. Hate it.

Advertisement