Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

East Wall, Dublin 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I might avoid the Alfie Byrne Road at night time, it can be eerily quiet and dark sometimes. Apart from that, the rest of the area is grand I'd say.

I live in Clontarf and run down Alfie Byrne Road and on to the docks at night, never had anyone say boo to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 DingleBoy

Well by investment I mean, if I paid 120k for a 1bed place would the price fall much more? I mean I have done some research on this complex and @one stage these apartments were 280, so taking that into account I feel i would be getting a good deal? I have lived here for 11 months and to be honest I love it, Area is great, it’s close to everything, and the complex is very well kept by the Dwyer Management Company. The apartment in question is just so nice I feel sad moving out already if it’s sold. But I don’t really want to buy this place for it to fall down to 70 80 k this time 12 months you know? Would I be right to say if I were at some stage to rent this place I would fill it no problem? Demand in high enough in east wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Co Kildare abu

Just glancing at previous conversations about living in East Wall. We are having a very bad experience there presently. I have lived there for the past seven years and this is the first time that we are not feeling very safe at all. I would advise people to be prudent before moving to live or buy there. Talk to the neighbours and Gardai and ask if there are 'difficult' families living in the street presently. One family can change the dynamic of the street completely and the HSE are not particularly interested in how their clients may be impacting on the lives of residents on the street. So go with caution and do your research please beforehand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

I'm also viewing a house in the St. Marys Road area soon.

I would appreciate any feedback anyone could provide on the area.

djPSB wrote: »
    I'm also viewing a house in the St. Marys Road area soon.

I would appreciate any feedback anyone could provide on the area.
    I would suggest that you go to Store St Gardai Station with the number of the house that you are interested in purchasing. Enquire as to if there are any troublesome tenants in the immediate vicinity in the street. It would be better if the house is located close to the Sean O Casey Centre end rather than the Church Road end. Also, go down at night and sit close to the prospective house and view the activities of your neighbours. I would also advise knocking on the immediate neighbours doors and explaining that you are thinking of buying
    No X house. The older residents
    will advise you very quickly on what is a good location and what isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

I saw 3 lads in high vis jackets on the Aldi site on East Wall road on Monday morning.

Maybe things about to start moving there finally?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭Splicer

Hi guys,

I am a 20-something single female looking at a little house in Church Court, on Church Road, to buy.

Priority number 1 - my personal security. (I know Foxrock would be better for that;), but please give me a realistic assessment, e.g. is it better or worse than Smithfield?)

Priority number 2 - peace/quiet. I tend to do a lot of academic stuff that requires a little silence.

I went there for a walk this morning and got talking to a lovely 80-something year old man who lives very close by and told me drugs/crime aren't an issue here. I saw a lot of people with young children around, none of whom look like knackers at all. In fact, I didn't see anything dodgy, not even rubbish lying around. Now, granted that was in the middle of the day on a Saturday, so I understand an after-dark escapade is in order.

Also, does anyone know what that industrial looking place is just opposite the Church court estate and is that an issue?

All input would be appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

Splicer wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I am a 20-something single female looking at a little house in Church Court, on Church Road, to buy.

Priority number 1 - my personal security. (I know Foxrock would be better for that;), but please give me a realistic assessment, e.g. is it better or worse than Smithfield?)

Priority number 2 - peace/quiet. I tend to do a lot of academic stuff that requires a little silence.

I went there for a walk this morning and got talking to a lovely 80-something year old man who lives very close by and told me drugs/crime aren't an issue here. I saw a lot of people with young children around, none of whom look like knackers at all. In fact, I didn't see anything dodgy, not even rubbish lying around. Now, granted that was in the middle of the day on a Saturday, so I understand an after-dark escapade is in order.

Also, does anyone know what that industrial looking place is just opposite the Church court estate and is that an issue?

Having lived there only as recently as 1 year ago and still going through the area quite regularly I can honestly say avoid at all costs.

Read the news about Church road area, 14 year old boy shot a man dead there a few years ago. Recently a man was bundled into the boot of a car in the middle of the day in broad daylight. They found his body in a pipe in the country a few weeks later. There has been quite alot of shootings in the area in the past 3 years.

The place is mental and dodgy as it gets.

I left East wall because of the constant maddening noise of people screaming and fighting during the day and also the noise of the train yard working through the night (Coal and stone getting loaded onto trains all night/morning!).

Add to that neighbors having party's all weekend long and violence against the gardai who are called to these parties to ask them to stop the noise and you've got a picture of life up there.

It's a pyjama knackers paradise. If you are one of them you will be fine otherwise AVOID.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭AnalogueKid

Having lived there only as recently as 1 year ago and still going through the area quite regularly I can honestly say avoid at all costs.

Read the news about Church road area, 14 year old boy shot a man dead there a few years ago. Recently a man was bundled into the boot of a car in the middle of the day in broad daylight. They found his body in a pipe in the country a few weeks later. There has been quite alot of shootings in the area in the past 3 years.

The place is mental and dodgy as it gets.

I left East wall because of the constant maddening noise of people screaming and fighting during the day and also the noise of the train yard working through the night (Coal and stone getting loaded onto trains all night/morning!).

Add to that neighbors having party's all weekend long and violence against the gardai who are called to these parties to ask them to stop the noise and you've got a picture of life up there.

It's a pyjama knackers paradise. If you are one of them you will be fine otherwise AVOID.

I couldn't disagree with you any more about East Wall. I lived on Blythe Ave around the same time as you. Not a bother! Never got a taxi home once because I didn't feel intimidated whatsoever. The neighbours were all sound out too - real Dubs.

Cross Spencer Dock into Sheriff St. (can't remember which is lower and which is upper) and it's a different ball game altogether - worst kip in the city centre by far! I walked down Sheriffer as a shortcut a few times and the last time a load of kids started throwing glass bottles at me from about 10m away. The Johnny Blue-sucking pyja-Mas were right behind them eating burgers and laughing at their spawn's antics. An unmarked Garda car was there with two Gardai with machine guns on their laps. They shrugged at me as if to say "Sorry pal, we've bigger fish to fry".

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Hi guys,

Don't.

Reasoning, 1. The market is nowhere near the bottom. 2. You will be a sitting duck on Church Rd. I have had two friends living there - one a couple with a tall American husband and one kid. He spread the rumour that he owned several handguns and always carried one (complete lie but he and the family got no hassle - except having their house contents destroyed in the floods) and the other a Spanish girl, single in her 20s who has been plagued with petty theft and abusive kids. Her garden wall was smashed (pushed over) in the last incident.

You can get the same 'value' in far less dodgy neighbourhoods if your heart is set on buying. However, if you buy and the market still falls you are effectively trapped in that neighbourhood.

My advice, for what it is worth. Find a good landlord and negotiate a long lease.

• Advertisement

Hi guys,

I would advise not to buy on Church Road. It can be quite intimidating at night as gangs of youth tend to gather on that street. Also, at night if you walk home or take the LUAS, you will have to walk through the street and it can be a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. You are not from the local community and that can bring it's own challenges as you can be viewed as an easy target. You would be better to view Church Court at night as it tends to gather youth at night at the entrance who frequent the fast food shop.Walking in there at night could be intimidating particular if you have a group of young teenagers in situ.
    If in doubt, go ask the Gardai at Store Street or the Community Gardai and they will give you an updated picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

The biggest problem in East Wall (and a lot of inner city Dublin) if being viewed as an "outsider" or blow in. That's why you get such conflicting reports on the areas. People who were born and grew up there generally get along fine because the local gurriers probably grew up alongside them and know them. New residents are seen as easy targets in comparison. The tight nightness of these areas is often a negative, not a positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

If in doubt, go ask the Gardai at Store Street or the Community Gardai and they will give you an updated picture.

I remember two Spanish lads who were recently told by Gardai that Sherrif was 'closed' at night. They were walking down towards an event at the Green Room Bar and were turned back by an area car.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭Splicer

MadsL wrote: »
    Don't.

Reasoning, 1. The market is nowhere near the bottom. 2. You will be a sitting duck on Church Rd. I have had two friends living there - one a couple with a tall American husband and one kid. He spread the rumour that he owned several handguns and always carried one (complete lie but he and the family got no hassle - except having their house contents destroyed in the floods) and the other a Spanish girl, single in her 20s who has been plagued with petty theft and abusive kids. Her garden wall was smashed (pushed over) in the last incident.

You can get the same 'value' in far less dodgy neighbourhoods if your heart is set on buying. However, if you buy and the market still falls you are effectively trapped in that neighbourhood.

My advice, for what it is worth. Find a good landlord and negotiate a long lease.

Where do you suggest is safer for the same value? What makes you think the market has not bottomed out? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 doodlebla

Hi,

I have read through the entire thread and my impression is that peoples opinions seem to change over time. A lot of negative sentiment seems to have come from the shooting of the mechanic by some kids in 2008.

I am considering renting for a while in East Wall, with a view to buying if I like the area. How do people feel about the place these days?

I see a nice looking playground on Google street view, do mothers with small children in the area feel safe to spend time there during the day. What do people thing of the primary school (St. Joseph's), their website is great and it looks like they have a good mix of kids from different countries and backgrounds.

Do people have trouble with anti-social behavior these days?

Is it possible to walk into East point business park from East Wall without going to Clontarf Road?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Ray von

Renting in the area before you buy is a good choice. Give you a feel for the place.

Regarding East point business park you can access it very easily from East Wall via the Alfie Byrne Road no need to go through Clontarf.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I know some don't consider it East Wall at all but was wondering about the Church Street East/Abercorn Road/Irvine Terrace area. Seems quiet enough to rent in?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭howaya

- lots of good folks in the area, and because of the lower prices of property, I've thought about moving there ... but ... it's rough. There was an abduction in daylight from there since that 2008 murder, in which the man was subsequently shot. I've lived all over town and don't tend to be fazed, but with the dust from the port, the generally run down state of the place, and the poor facilities, I'd discourage anyone moving there. I've been down and around there for work before 2008 and subsequently, and I'm sorry to report I've not seen much improvement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

dsmythy wrote: »
    I know some don't consider it East Wall at all but was wondering about the Church Street East/Abercorn Road/Irvine Terrace area. Seems quiet enough to rent in?
    I lived on Abercorn Road. Nice spot, as was Irvine Terrace. Had a less hostile vibe about it compared to other parts of East Wall, in my humble opinion. Had to move out though when the place flooded (not the first time either) - so pick carefully!

It wasn't all rosy though: the kids were terrors, setting off fireworks outside our door at Halloween with their useless parents barely making an effort to tell them to stop. A housemate saw a guy with a gun parked outside the house one day. Taxi drivers often refused to drive right outside the house or told new housemates not to live in the area. The kids were often on the flat roof trying to break in and generally very cheeky if you were to pass by them, even minding your own business. Despite all the horror stories, it's still a pretty good place and damn near to town.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

ethernet wrote: »
    I lived on Abercorn Road. Nice spot, as was Irvine Terrace. Had a less hostile vibe about it compared to other parts of East Wall, in my humble opinion. Had to move out though when the place flooded (not the first time either) - so pick carefully!

It wasn't all rosy though: the kids were terrors, setting off fireworks outside our door at Halloween with their useless parents barely making an effort to tell them to stop. A housemate saw a guy with a gun parked outside the house one day. Taxi drivers often refused to drive right outside the house or told new housemates not to live in the area. The kids were often on the flat roof trying to break in and generally very cheeky if you were to pass by them, even minding your own business. Despite all the horror stories, it's still a pretty good place and damn near to town.

have to agree with irvine terrace, and around there being perfectly fine.

the other parts of east wall, especially around shelmalier road (where i have being robbed twice while working delivering poxy pizza) is well the arse end of arse ends, assholes around here have no respect for anything.

but there are a good few people around here too that are lovely decent people with no hassle just the lower lifes bringing it all down.

and id say myself because of these lower lifes that id never stay or live in that hole that they made it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 sam1061917

Hello,
    Me and two if my friends, all in our twenties, are considering renting a house in merchants square. Seemed like a quiet and nice estate, any idea what it's like?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

sam1061917 wrote: »
    Hello,
    Me and two if my friends, all in our twenties, are considering renting a house in merchants square. Seemed like a quiet and nice estate, any idea what it's like?

merchants square is great. very very quiet area.

just the sound of trains 24/7

• Registered Users Posts: 1 HiLow

Can any one tell me or point me in the right direction, I'm trying to find out what year the houses were built on Merchants Road. I've been told Bargy Road was 1932 and that Merchants was before that. I've tried planning and land registry but no luck. Thanks

There is a very good historian from the local community in East Wall / North Wall. He is really excellent. If you call LYCS (Lourdes Community Youth Services) they will give you his name and tel number.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Rusty Cogs 08

A quarter of them were demolished (the long wall on the right hand side as you walk down the road), not sure when.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jeanno94

Hi i am thinking about buying a place on abercorn road in east wall, just wondering about the train track and flooding and also the safety of the area, would really appreciate your thoughts!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

jeanno94 wrote: »
    Hi i am thinking about buying a place on abercorn road in east wall, just wondering about the train track and flooding and also the safety of the area, would really appreciate your thoughts!!
    I used to live there. Found it very quiet for the most part. Never heard the train at all. The place did flood though (it had a basement) so it's something to keep in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 zeot

Hi!

Me and three of my friends are looking at a really nice place at The Lighthouse. We're about 20 all of us, and after reading this board we're not too sure this is a place that we want to live. The Lighthouse is gated, and you are very close to East Wall Road.

Does anyone have experience of this particular area, and would you recommend moving there or staying away?

Any replies are appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

zeot wrote: »
    Hi!

Me and three of my friends are looking at a really nice place at The Lighthouse. We're about 20 all of us, and after reading this board we're not too sure this is a place that we want to live. The Lighthouse is gated, and you are very close to East Wall Road.

Does anyone have experience of this particular area, and would you recommend moving there or staying away?

Its not as bad as its made out, been there for 5 years now. Was a little intimidated at first and there were kids/early teens that were acting up at one stage but they seem to have disappeared / grown up. I know a lot of people in the area now, and nip down to the Seabank on my own for the football matches and wasn't long getting to know a few of the lads in there.

At this stage my biggest gripe would be the amount of dog sh!t on the footpaths.

Its home now for me, easy access of town with a bus service that crosses the city (Nr.14, 15), the dart at the top of the Alfie Byrne rd, and if you are on the beer in town, generally you will get change of a tenner in a taxi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

zeot wrote: »
    Hi!

Lighthouse is a lovely development lived there for a couple of years with mates living in castleforbes. Walked home many a weekend night at all hours and never had a problem with anyone.

Advertisement