Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

East Wall, Dublin 3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

GSPfan wrote: »
    I'm praying its a MacDonalds going in to the Cahill Printers site. I don't like MacDonalds regular food but the breakfast menu is nice. If its a Burger King i'm in trouble. Love it.

If its a KFC id be sick. Hate it.

Hopefully it's none of the above

• Registered Users Posts: 8,347 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Dunno whether any of those franchises would risk setting up in such an 'up-and-coming' area. It would be a scrote magnet!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

What's actually going on the Cahills site, at least from the planning?

Drivethrus have been set up in areas far, far, far dodgier than East Wall before so if there is one there (going on the last posts) it could be any of the major brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

GSPfan wrote: »
    I'm praying its a MacDonalds going in to the Cahill Printers site. I don't like MacDonalds regular food but the breakfast menu is nice. If its a Burger King i'm in trouble. Love it.

If its a KFC id be sick. Hate it.

I thought it was going to be a Lidl? The place could probably use some sort of a takeaway but on the other hand, North Strand is littered with the bloody things and it isn't exactly miles away

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭sheepo

Lidl is the main crowd going in there but yeah McDonald's or KFC are the two possibilities I've heard mentioned. KFC would do nothing for me. Maccy D's only when hungover!

I also heard some offices and a gym mentioned as well though that was a while ago. Maybe someone with a bit more knowledge can confirm/deny this?

There's visible progress being made every day there now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

A mcds drive through would do v well with east point and the Dockers and truck drivers around.
    Hope its a Lidl too. Will make the weekly shop great having them next door to aldi

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Its a Lidl, Office space, Gym, Drive Thru. Thats what Ive read everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭pampers1

A gym AND a Mcd's on the same site! Nice!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭blue_blue

I'm not sure if anyone has dug through the planning system to have a gander at what the site layout/structure will look like. These are the most interesting documents I can find. Poor quality since they're scans but you get the idea.

www. dublincity .ie/AnitePublicDocs/00401824.pdf
    www. dublincity .ie/AnitePublicDocs/00420689.pdf
    www. dublincity .ie/AnitePublicDocs/00505363.pdf

[remove the space from the URLs because I don't have enough posts made]

It will be a drive-thru McDonald's that will be adjoining the new Aldi.

www. dublincity .ie/swiftlg/apas/run/WPHAPPDETAIL.DisplayUrl?theApnID=2324/16&SearchID=2

Anyone heard when they both might be open? The development is progressing fairly fast now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Lidl looks nearly ready even if the rest of the site isn't - trolleys at the door and shelves being stacked

• Registered Users Posts: 13 stopdotcom

according Lidl FB page the store is opening April 7th - sorry can't post link yet

• Registered Users Posts: 14,417 ✭✭✭✭cson

That'll be unbelieveably handy, Aldi & Lidl across from each other. I reckon that Aldi is one of the busiest in the country, always rammed.

Is the empty/unfinished apartment block on East Road being worked on finally? Noticed some windows opened or closed recently

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

If you mean last block of Island Key then yeah, they've been back working on it for a few months.

One of the two sets of obvious potentials for quick supply of housing I pass frequently, good to see some motion

The other is the obvious empty apartments in the Castleforbes development - you can see multiple empty windows particularly on corners on the outside, but considering there's courtyards etc you can't see from outside there could be even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Castleforbes units have been snapped up for social housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭subpar

dsmythy wrote: »
    Castleforbes units have been snapped up for social housing.

Not correct

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Was the proposed restaurant drive thru ever built as part of the Lidl project? If so, does anyone know which restaurant will operate it?

ongarboy wrote: »
    Was the proposed restaurant drive thru ever built as part of the Lidl project? If so, does anyone know which restaurant will operate it?

It's a McDonald's. No sign of development yet onsite but their planning permission only started in February. I can't imagine they'll hold back once they're given the green light to go ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Khuitlio

blue_blue wrote: »
    It's a McDonald's. No sign of development yet onsite but their planning permission only started in February. I can't imagine they'll hold back once they're given the green light to go ahead.

I'm pretty sure the drive-thru is nearly finished!

It's the building beside Lidl

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭samsamson

The LIDL shelves are all fully stocked, including fresh fruit and veg. Launch day must be near!

Any idea what the "gym/leisure facility" is? Or what company is running it?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,243 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

LIDL opens at 8am Thursday 7th April, ribbon being cut by a Dublin footballer...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 stopdotcom

correct odyssey06 ;) - as per Lidl FB page: Best of luck to all our team getting ready to open our new East Wall store tomorrow. We look forward to welcoming all our new customers to the store. Official opening is 8am and we are delighted to have Dublin GAA star Johnny Cooper there to do the honours for us!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Johnny Cooper isn't a star. Bernard Brogan and Diarmuid Connolly are stars.

Just saying.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,132 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They will be the most used traffic lights in the area as people leg it back and forth between the two shops. And as for the Maccers....

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Khuitlio

Signs up for McDonalds and Starbucks in their respective Windows this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Weekend traffic... actually, traffic in general going to get v heavy around this area.
    Is the traffic planning going to cope with it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,132 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Regarding opening offers, which are probably gone by now, I heard there is a portable hard drive for 45 euro and some sort of a TV (Toshiba?).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,243 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Weekend traffic... actually, traffic in general going to get v heavy around this area.
    Is the traffic planning going to cope with it?

Traffic on Alfie Byrne Road was backed up a bit this morning. Not sure if it was due to the new traffic lights at LIDL being operational... There's a bottleneck as your turn around from Alfie Byrne Road onto East Wall Road - at that junction where 2 lanes merge into 1.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement