Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

East Wall, Dublin 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

jeanno94 wrote: »
    Hi i am thinking about buying a place on abercorn road in east wall, just wondering about the train track and flooding and also the safety of the area, would really appreciate your thoughts!!

I'm only renting there since October so limited experience but as for your questions.

I'm not right beside the train track but near enough, it's not hugely noisy and becomes background noise after a while. Have a 14 month old who is never woken by it during his naps or when he's gone to bed early.

Flooding I couldn't tell you, earlier on this thread someone mentioned flooding has occured in the past and to be wary of houses with brand new floors placed. There's been some heavy rain at times since I've been here and hasn't pooled that much though I can see by the dips at the road where it could happen in extreme or lengthy rainfalls.

Since I've been here it's been quiet as a mouse though I havn't had a chance to experience a summer here when more carry on goes on in most places, but like I said it's been perfectly safe and quiet so far. PM me if you have any more specific questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Colking

Hi there

I am looking at possibly buying a house in Eastwall. Can anyone offer me any advice ? There seems to be a mixed bag of thoughts on areas in Eastwall, I suppose it's the same as any area these days, you can have trouble in the "safest" of places.

I am currently looking around Shelmalier road. Can anyone tell me what it is like ? Would you buy there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭keano2012

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

keano2012 wrote: »

I'd say the Grand Canal Theatre should be fine. As for the shopping centre, god only knows. Its a real shame, but I'm not that surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Nothing will happen. NAMA will treat like any other property management company would to try and get as much as possible for the tax payer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

it'll be fine. They should have no problem selling it either. It has bookings up until 2016.
    I could see someone like LiveNation coming in and taking it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 kitty3kids

Scortho wrote: »
    it'll be fine. They should have no problem selling it either. It has bookings up until 2016.
    I could see someone like LiveNation coming in and taking it on.

LiveNation already take care of the day to day running of the theatre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

kitty3kids wrote: »
    LiveNation already take care of the day to day running of the theatre.

Yep and own 50% of the O2 as well but that isn't effected. They know the numbers and with a debt write down probably know that the theatre would be sustainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,250 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Mr Simpson wrote: »
    I'd say the Grand Canal Theatre should be fine. As for the shopping centre, god only knows. Its a real shame, but I'm not that surprised.

Either Lidl or Aldi are due to open there during the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭keano2012

Victor wrote: »
    Either Lidl or Aldi are due to open there during the summer.

Any link to that? would be good to see a development like that

• Advertisement

Aldi aren't opening in the shopping centre. They're opening on East Wall Road, their building is finished externally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Aldi aren't opening in the shopping centre. They're opening on East Wall Road, their building is finished externally.

Seems to be fair bit of activity on east wall recently, the aldi is opening and the garage beside is getting reopened from the looks of things

Much needed jobs !

Great to see, if they could finish the Island Key(??) development and get a retailer in, that would really help. I'm slightly confused as to why Aldi are building apartments when there are so many empty apartments in the area

Merged with East Wall Thread as it's quite relevant to the area

keano2012 wrote: »
    Any link to that? would be good to see a development like that
    From their site.

http://www.yellowmap.de/partners/AldiSued2/Html/Poi.aspx?SessionGuid=271b6476-14f2-43dc-849f-eb118dba5d22
    ALDI Dublin
    East Wall Road
    Dublin 3 Dublin

Monday - Friday 9:00am - 9:00pm
    Saturday 9:00am - 9:00pm
    Sunday 10:00am - 7:00pm

This store will open on Thursday 4th July 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭risteardo

Colking wrote: »
    Hi there

I am looking at possibly buying a house in Eastwall. Can anyone offer me any advice ? There seems to be a mixed bag of thoughts on areas in Eastwall, I suppose it's the same as any area these days, you can have trouble in the "safest" of places.

I am currently looking around Shelmalier road. Can anyone tell me what it is like ? Would you buy there?

I live around the corner from Shelmalier Road and a friend has recently started renting there. It's fine, no worse than any other area in East Wall I would think. Though if you were buying there, I'd try to buy as close to the Caledon Road end as possible.

I'm slightly confused as to why Aldi are building apartments when there are so many empty apartments in the area
    They have money and time and construction is cheap.
    Where exactly is it? By reference to streets, not pubs ;)

On East Wall Road, next to the Ford garage. Between Forth Road and Church Road (but on the opposite side)

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭risteardo

Busy junction, going to be even busier. Wonder if we'll see some traffic lights, or a pedestrian crossing?

risteardo wrote: »
    Busy junction, going to be even busier. Wonder if we'll see some traffic lights, or a pedestrian crossing?

Yep, theres the beginnings of a pedestrian crossing going in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Update;

Lild have applied for PP on the old Cahills site. A licenced discount store, a gym/leisure facility, drive thru restaurant and office space.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Update;

Lild have applied for PP on the old Cahills site. A licenced discount store, a gym/leisure facility, drive thru restaurant and office space.

Isnt that the old site on the corner of East wall and church road directly facing where they are building the Aldi :confused:

Would you have a link to what Lidl are proposing by any chance?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Yeah, right across the road, I don't have a link, sorry.

Yeah, right across the road, I don't have a link, sorry.

no prob, thanks anyway. lot of new jobs in the area!

Update;

Where's the cahills site?

Edit: Scratch that, I've remembered, thats good news

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

Here's the lidl planning notice

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

whatnext wrote: »
    Here's the lidl planning notice

Higher res attempt, previous was on mobile

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭nino1

Victor wrote: »

Anyone know if that planned opening date is still on schedule?

nino1 wrote: »
    Anyone know if that planned opening date is still on schedule?

I'd imagine so, looks pretty finished

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

A gym was mentioned ?? Is it being built by lidl ? And is it anywhere near finished ? Cheers

Advertisement