Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

East Wall, Dublin 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

candyman wrote: »
    By postcode you are quite correct Ringsend is indeed Dublin 4. If you think the area does not have it's roots in inner city Dublin, you are sadly mistaken.

I do not in any way intend this to be a derogatory comment about inner city Dublin, I am just stating facts.

ringsend and east wall are very much neighbours in one sense but are a million miles apart in others. i worked in the east wall area for years and lived in ringsend for years so had a good knowledge of both communities and have to ringsend has a remakable sense of community and social cohesion. Ringsend just has so much more going on and with the park been central it makes for a nice place to rare children where i found east wall was like a big housing estate with the park slightly out of bounds for young kids to play , suppose you could say ringsend is like a village.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

How much negative equity are you in? My sister lives in East Wall and wants to get the **** out.

Why would he want to know how much negative equity he is in? He obviously researched the area, staked the place out, got to know the area and bought the apartment. He's happy there and doesn't want to move.

Your sister on the other hand... Why did she buy there if she doesn't like it? She seems to be in a worse scenario than Alison O'Riordan (whom you posted about on this site)!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Why would he want to know how much negative equity he is in? He obviously researched the area, staked the place out, got to know the area and bought the apartment. He's happy there and doesn't want to move.

Your sister on the other hand... Why did she buy there if she doesn't like it? She seems to be in a worse scenario than Alison O'Riordan (whom you posted about on this site)!
    :D:D
    How do you know she bought? She didn't actually. I think alot of people do not like to admit they made a mistake.The place is a kip so if after "researching" the conclusion is reached that you would buy there then that's strange. Buying an apartment anywhere is probably a mistake not least east wall. Car chases, cars burnt out,feral kids with guns. Yeah,really nice.My sister wants out because it's a kip,she won't pretend otherwise.Anyone who doesn't see that it's a kip is delusional or in denial.That's understandable if you have overpaid for an apartment in a bubble market.She's not in a worse situation than O'Riordan and she isn't moaning about it in the national press.
    But well done on your "research"Rambo:rolleyes::)

Thank you. It made and saved me literally hundreds and thousands of pounds and Euro. Never buy or rent in an area without checking it out day and night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

Does anyone know if the motocross park in alfie Byrne pk has opened? Haven't been able to find out online. Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 156 ✭✭Cranky Mc Funhouse

101001 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the motocross park in alfie Byrne pk has opened? Haven't been able to find out online. Cheers
    I think they had it open for a few hours on Sunday last for the first time, it was supposed to be opened fully in july 2010. Not sure of future plans though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 156 ✭✭Cranky Mc Funhouse

Car chases, cars burnt out,feral kids with guns. Yeah,really nice.My sister wants out because it's a kip,she won't pretend otherwise.Anyone who doesn't see that it's a kip is delusional or in denial.
    I think you and your sister need to get over your preconceptions and actually mix with some people from the area, I think you'll both be pleasantly surprised. People from this area really are the salt of the earth if you don't treat them as the enemy or adopt some kind of 'siege mentality'. I can only advise you to be a bit less dismissive of people until you actually interact with them in some way, even through conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

How do you know she bought? She didn't actually. I think alot of people do not like to admit they made a mistake.The place is a kip so if after "researching" the conclusion is reached that you would buy there then that's strange. Buying an apartment anywhere is probably a mistake not least east wall. Car chases, cars burnt out,feral kids with guns. Yeah,really nice.My sister wants out because it's a kip,she won't pretend otherwise.Anyone who doesn't see that it's a kip is delusional or in denial.That's understandable if you have overpaid for an apartment in a bubble market.She's not in a worse situation than O'Riordan and she isn't moaning about it in the national press.

I don't live in the area, going by what I can see in your post I'm probably from a good area in your view. Considering how close East wall is to the city center and most new apartment complexes are within a 5 minute walk to the Luas line or a bus stop, it's a grand area to live in for the young professional types. If you're going to go on 1 off stories and worst case scenarios, you can make everywhere look like a ****hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭mydearwatson

I'm currently considering moving to East Wall. Does anyone living there know if it would be safe for a woman to go running on East Wall Road early in the morning (sevenish) or late at night (nine or ten o clock)? Would be starting around Seabank House and heading up towards Clonliffe Road, Drumcondra direction.

I asked a local guard and he thought it would be fairly safe. Just looking for opinions of people living there.

I know it's probably not the ideal area for running, but the apartment and location seem ideal apart from this one issue - I really need somewhere to run. Wouldn't be carrying any valuables (apart from my iPod.)

Thanks for any opinions!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Tracy Jacks

I used to go running around East Wall when I lived there and never had any problems - despite all the negative press on the this thread, it's not the ghetto!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Dmaurice

I live near the Seabank - you should go the other way, down east road, over the hump back bridge and onto the quays...ive ran it a few times - much better than the East Wall rd! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

I'm currently considering moving to East Wall. Does anyone living there know if it would be safe for a woman to go running on East Wall Road early in the morning (sevenish) or late at night (nine or ten o clock)? Would be starting around Seabank House and heading up towards Clonliffe Road, Drumcondra direction.

I asked a local guard and he thought it would be fairly safe. Just looking for opinions of people living there.

I know it's probably not the ideal area for running, but the apartment and location seem ideal apart from this one issue - I really need somewhere to run. Wouldn't be carrying any valuables (apart from my iPod.)

Thanks for any opinions!

Plenty of runners in the area when I'm out walking, but yeah, you'd get a better run going down east wall road to the point, up the quays and back up that way.

I love living in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

I live in the North wall area all my life, I also run a lot, If you like long distance it's ideal,
    I would would go left of the O2 all the way out towards dollymount or right of the O2 out towards Sandymount.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

Thanks for any opinions!

There are plenty out running in the area. I'm usually out some time between 7 and 9pm and generally head up the Alfie Byrne Road and along the coast and up past Clontarf, no roads to cross, and an even path etc., Its generally quite busy around that time, and fairly well light up. No idea at 10pm I'd suspect the Alfie Byrne could be a bit quiet, but there are always people going in and out of East Point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

I might avoid the Alfie Byrne Road at night time, it can be eerily quiet and dark sometimes. Apart from that, the rest of the area is grand I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 generation

very convenient area, very near city centre, also good to have clontarf promenade so close. have been living in Lighthouse Apartments for a over a year, feel safe there, quite and very well managed. Very friendly in Centra, so convenient and good value. never felt unsafe there, people on church rd very friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

Hi,
    Does anyone know of a person who is playing football at artificial football field on East Road? I saw a net inside the house block. Would be nice to play there a bit, but don't know any lads from there and the time they play.
    Is it paid or free field?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭candyman

Mope wrote: »
    Hi,
    Does anyone know of a person who is playing football at artificial football field on East Road? I saw a net inside the house block. Would be nice to play there a bit, but don't know any lads from there and the time they play.
    Is it paid or free field?

If interested in playing, see my other post linked here

anybody got any insights/updates on the cahill printers site at the top of church road.

it's some eyesore!

also any news on aldi (or is it lidl) moving into the tucks fastener site opposite cahill printers?

I called Aldi and asked, they were very cagey, but from what I can gather they are in the final stages of planning and it's going to go ahead.

Don't know what's happening with the Cahills.

• Advertisement

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I called Aldi and asked, they were very cagey, but from what I can gather they are in the final stages of planning and it's going to go ahead.

From memory, the Aldi build included provision for apartments also. Cant see that part going ahead now but would be great to get a decent supermarket close by. Bit of real competition for Centra too!

Called the derelict site registry office in the Dublin City Council to check whether the Cahill Printers site and the run down house on the corner of Seaview and Church are already on the register. Apparently they are not, despite existing in a neglected and unsightly condition for many years.

Basically, as long the owners comply with any requests made to clean the places up from litter, refuse or goods being dumped on it, they are "unlikely" to be officially added to the register (where they would be liable for fines etc).

They agreed to make another site inspection and revert with a progress update. To be honest the whole process seems quite loose and lacking the substance/execution power to actually make any real improvements.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Ros_lad

Hello folks, me and a few friends are making the move to Dublin soon. 3 young professionals looking to rent around the east wall area. Looking for updates on what the area is like these days? Also if anyone had any experiences with the lighthouse apartments, island key apartments or alexandra place it would be great to hear yer opinions on them. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

Ros_lad wrote: »
    Hello folks, me and a few friends are making the move to Dublin soon. 3 young professionals looking to rent around the east wall area. Looking for updates on what the area is like these days? Also if anyone had any experiences with the lighthouse apartments, island key apartments or alexandra place it would be great to hear yer opinions on them. Thanks

my cousin lives in the lighthouse apartments, she cant speak highly enough about them , amenities close by and good privacy in the complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Tracy Jacks

I would avoid Alexandra Place if you can. The apartments are lovely but the management is awful.

http://www.sbpost.ie/news/ireland/donegal-construction-company-collapses-with-30m-debt-57382.html

+1 for the lighthouse. i live there. very quiet and well looked after. the centra down below is a god send!
    dekbhoy wrote: »
    my cousin lives in the lighthouse apartments, she cant speak highly enough about them , amenities close by and good privacy in the complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Any opinions on St.Marys road, just off Church Road?

Working in East Point so location is ideal but not so sure on the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭vangough

Hi,

does anyone know much about the apartments in Island Key, East Road, East Wall? They look really nice. How far a walk is it to the city centre and is it safe to walk in the morning and evening? What is the area around east wall like now? Are there any supermarkets close by etc? Is it a rough area?

Thanks,
    V

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 DingleBoy

Hey Guys, I have been living in the Lighthouse apartments for the past year now and I love it. The complex is so close to everything. Funny enough the apartment I’m in has now gone up for sale, I’m really considering about buying this place, Can anyone who bought their advise if they think this would be a good investment or should I look elsewhere, I mean these places were going for 280000 a few years ago, I see you can get a 1bed for 110-130 now, Any feedback would be brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

DingleBoy wrote: »
    Hey Guys, I have been living in the Lighthouse apartments for the past year now and I love it. The complex is so close to everything. Funny enough the apartment I’m in has now gone up for sale, I’m really considering about buying this place, Can anyone who bought their advise if they think this would be a good investment or should I look elsewhere, I mean these places were going for 280000 a few years ago, I see you can get a 1bed for 110-130 now, Any feedback would be brilliant

Investment wise property is a dead duck in Ireland and will be for a long time, decade minimum I imagine. However if you're looking for a home rather than an investment and you're happy with where you are why not?

Advertisement