Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post images of beauty (quote pics sparingly) - see Mod warnings in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭ratsam

My work in progress.... not exactly an image of beauty but getting there... next up will be getting my RaceFace cranks sorted and getting the decals on...! Its a custom built Colombus Genius steel frame that a mate gave me that i had re-sprayed by a local panel beater..!

100171861.jpg
    And the front end....
    100171862.jpg

Now all i have to do is get out on it...!

Rats

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Looks nice ! Very clean lines. Hydraulic Rim brakes ?

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭ratsam

Cheers... Yes... Magura Raceline D's... real old school stuff... probably about 10 years old at this stage and steel really sweet and powerful. Have never bled them...!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

ignore me, i posted in the wrong thread

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

That's a good looking MTB, Ratsam!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭beans

Been meaning to post the finished audax I've been working on, so here it is

2681609945_049a1c299a.jpg

2681610583_77436fca94.jpg

2682429324_ca34140ceb.jpg

2681611627_fcbdb08770.jpg

The only thing I'm not happy with is the engine ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

^^^That's a mighty beautiful bike sir!

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭jefferson73

Please ignore the blue chain, was going through a glam rock phase :)
    Three years old and still not bored with it.
    51 x 16t.

DerekLynn-1.jpg

DerekLynn-3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

51 x 16t.

Very nice. How do you keep the chain lubricated?

Smooth rolling.

squirtlube800-400-90.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭omri

Noticed you have fizik's saddle any opinions bout it ?

omri wrote: »
    Noticed you have fizik's saddle any opinions bout it ?

Other then the fact that you can design your own (colours) and it's relatively light with a titanium band, it's not the most comfortable.
    Ideal for short commutes but would not want to be on it for over an hour.
    I find the fact that i have different saddles on my various bikes a problem that I did not foresee and swapping bikes for long rides can cause problems.
    Worth forking out for a Brookes B17 or Swift if weight is not an issue.
    The most comy for me is an old Selle i've had for a while, on my bareknuckle...again ignore the chain eh...can't think of an excuse for that one...in touch with me feminine side...eh!

2683423914_1eb7be4864.jpg?v=0

beans wrote: »

51 x 16t.

DerekLynn-1.jpg

Kudos to the two of you on the british steel! Classy bikes.

Thank you, appreciated.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

2681610583_77436fca94.jpg

2682429324_ca34140ceb.jpg

2681611627_fcbdb08770.jpg

The only thing I'm not happy with is the engine ;)

Thats savagely old school Marko, love it.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Beyond beautiful bike. Is that a honey swallow- I have one on my (carbon) road bike; looks a bit incongrous but it really really works! I note you went for the funky handlebars too :D

With the swallow- I would consider levelling it, it has a very long nose that could be pressing into bits you don't want it to be pressing into.

With the swallow- I would consider levelling it

You may be right, bits are noticeably numb this evening. It's a dinger of a saddle though, and comfy from the get-go. My B17 took a bit more work, and it had already been ridden when I took charge of it.

That Bob Jackson is only lovely :) It was a toss-up between himself, Dave Yates and Mercian.

Edit - notice my home-made Heineken-can shim on the seatpost?

Edit edit - the handlebars are Nitto Randonneurs, traded on this very board :) Comfy out

Beans- you weren't cycling by the park last Thursday by any chance? I saw someone on a nice looking Mercian with Brooks in not dissimilar colours and commented to them on what a nice bike they had.

That was me alright :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

2683423914_1eb7be4864.jpg?v=0

is that an IRO? if so, where'd you get it? and how do you find it? heavy? is there a dealer in ireland or was it goolebay or something?

sorry for the Qs - i've been considering a new frame for a bit and something like that might be just the ticket.

i won't comment on the chain and hubs... but a matching pink chrisking headset, christ! very, em, brave... do couriers give you withering looks?

niceonetom wrote: »
    is that an IRO? if so, where'd you get it? and how do you find it? heavy? is there a dealer in ireland or was it goolebay or something?

sorry for the Qs - i've been considering a new frame for a bit and something like that might be just the ticket.

i won't comment on the chain and hubs... but a matching pink chrisking headset, christ! very, em, brave... do couriers give you withering looks?

EAI Bareknuckle. How i look infront of the couriers is not something i really worry about. I'm sure you'll look just fine for them with your IRO. Best of luck with your build and new tattoo.

EAI Bareknuckle. How i look in front of the couriers is not something i really worry about. I'm sure you'll look just fine for them with your IRO. Best of luck with your build and new tattoo.

oooh, have i touched a nerve?

You may be right, bits are noticeably numb this evening. It's a dinger of a saddle though, and comfy from the get-go. My B17 took a bit more work, and it had already been ridden when I took charge of it.

That Bob Jackson is only lovely :) It was a toss-up between himself, Dave Yates and Mercian.

Edit - notice my home-made Heineken-can shim on the seatpost?

Edit edit - the handlebars are Nitto Randonneurs, traded on this very board :) Comfy out

Thank Beans, your Mercian is absolutely beautiful.
    Have you had it long and whats the tubing?
    Between Dave Yeats, Bob Jackson and Mercian, i think Merican have the better name, good choice.

T
    Have you had it long and whats the tubing?

It's only been on the road a few weeks; still dialling in small changes here and there. Reynolds 725 tubing, for no particular reason.

The choice of frame came down to the fact that Mercian would accommodate me without insisting on a site-visit, that's all. Probably shows less professionalism, if anything. They did a great job though.

EAI Bareknuckle. How i look infront of the couriers is not something i really worry about. I'm sure you'll look just fine for them with your IRO. Best of luck with your build and new tattoo.

Jefferson I think you may be taking Tom a little bit seriously. I'm sure he meant no harm.

I've got an IRO, but I got it in London when I was over there before last Christmas. It's not as nice as something like a Bareknuckle but it's tough as old nails.

fish-head wrote: »
    Jefferson I think you may be taking Tom a little bit seriously. I'm sure he meant no harm.

I've got an IRO, but I got it in London when I was over there before last Christmas. It's not as nice as something like a Bareknuckle but it's tough as old nails.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055337530&page=2
    last comment (joke) on the page...
    "best of luck with you build and tattoo".....nothing more sinister than that.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055337530&page=2
    last comment (joke) on the page...
    "best of luck with you build and tattoo".....nothing more sinister than that.

lol - forgot about that. :pac: ...pic's gone now though.... ?

get it from hubjub? looks like a really nice frame, but probably a bit too nice for my purposes i.e. commuting. and it would be too pricey for me to get comfortable locking it up in town etc. iro or something would be less worrisome.

and for the record i don't give a monkey's what the gurriers think of me - i'm just bemused by the evils they give me as i stop at traffic lights (!) because i have the cheek to use a fixed wheel for transport. and my bike's quite innocuous, i'm surprised they don't feel the need to beat you to death with their minipumps. pink hubs indeed... :p yuo're stealing their cool!

@beans - seriously beautiful bike.

@RasTa - explain yourself.

Hi Tom,

Yes, got it from [EMAIL="Will@hubjub"]Will@hubjub[/EMAIL].

Pros: Very comfortable and fast, not many on the roads.

Cons:The sizes run a big high, the paintwork is not the best, and apparently they don't hold up well in crashes.

On-One Ti Geared Inbred
    Frame: 1365g/3.01lb to 1587g/3.5lb, fork:
    Argon 18 Electron
    1495g (claimed), forks: 395g (claimed) Medium size confirmed as 1502g (weighed on digital scales)
    Specialized Langster
    1587g (conversion from 3.5lbs) (again not sure what's included or frame size specified)
    IF Steel Crown Jewel Track Frameset
    1620g
    Pearson Touche (56cm)
    1720g, fork 577g
    20y.o. Reynolds 753 steel frame (52cm)
    1,760g, forks: 620g
    Fixie Inc. Peacemaker
    1800g (not sure of size or if it includes fork)
    Soma Rush
    1814g (frame only)
    Dolan FXE (58cm)
    1920g, fork 620g
    EAI Bareknuckle (56cm, will@hubjub)
    just under 2000g, fork: 900g
    Surly Steamroller (56cm)
    2010g, fork 916g
    On-One Il Pompino
    1859g/4.1lbs, fork: (51cm)
    2150g, fork: 843g (54cm)
    Genesis Flyer (520 CroMo)
    2270g, fork:
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    2636g or 2268g, fork: 907g (58cm), "2lb heavier than Pearson, over a pound on Surly’s Steamroller") (5.0lb frame and 2.0lb fork, 22.46lbs dirtragmag.com)
    Charge Plug
    2500g, Fork 912g
    Brooklyn Machine Works Gangsta
    If ya bothered about weight,it'll be too heavy for ya!
    (Unbranded Titanium Track Frame)(57cm)
    1520g Frame only

I like these:
    http://www.gorillabicycles.com/web/en/classictig/

love this:
    2271384532_32eb5a2d9c_b.jpg

• Advertisement

Jeez is there anything Mercian can't do?

Advertisement