Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Archbishop calls on RTÉ to remove 'blasphemous' clip

Options
  • 02-01-2021 12:43pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭

In a tweet, Archbishop Eamon Martin said he was "shocked" that the programme's producer or editor "didn't realise how deeply offensive was a mocking 'news report' accusing God of rape & reporting his imprisonment".

He continued: "To broadcast such a deeply offensive and blasphemous clip about God & our Blessed Mother Mary during the Christmas season on 'NYE Countdown Show' on @RTE, @RTEOne & on Eve of the Solemn Feast of Mary, Mother of God is insulting to all Catholics and Christians".

So first, no RTE definitely wouldn't have dared to make a clip about Mohammad being a paedophile. Would it make it better if they had.. should all religions be bashed, equally, as part of the New Years Countdown Show from the national broadcaster?

The way I see it, having the freedom to mock religion is important, but just because you have that freedom doesn't mean you have to use it either, unless it's serving some important purpose for society (Charlie Hebdo, even Father Ted). And this skit just seems a bit mean spirited and poorly timed to me. Like it or not deep religious beliefs are still held by a lot of people in Ireland and going out of your way to mock them, around Christmas no less, is scummy imo.

The clip in question

https://twitter.com/paulie_lufc/status/1344792634129346560?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1344792634129346560%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.boards.ie%2Fvbulletin%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D2058145820

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

That sketch was in poor taste and not in any way funny, just like any of the other Waterford Whispers bits that Aengus MacGrianna read out on that New Years programme. I'm not religious at all but it was just bad, completely inappropriate for that sort of programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

If they don’t want to see the clip they should just not watch it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Smee_Again wrote: »

Normally that would be my attitude too, but this was in the New Years Countdown Show, it's one of those shows that most people would be watching and saying don't watch it if you don't like it isn't on in this case

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Would have been very brave if they made it about Mohamed

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's kinda funny I think.
    Although Mary wasn't a migrant. She simply travelled with her husband from Nazareth to Bethlehem for a census. They then returned home again.

• Advertisement

Normally that would be my attitude too, but this was in the New Years Countdown Show, it's one of those shows that most people would be watching and saying don't watch it if you don't like it isn't on in this case

What about personal responsibility? They should know that getting offended is a risk of watching TV so they can’t very well complain after the fact. They’ll just have to live with the offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

If your faith is so weak that you are offended whose problem is it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,249 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Everything should be up for comedy or satire. No special cases, no exceptions.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

What about personal responsibility? They should know that getting offended is a risk of watching TV so they can’t very well complain after the fact. They’ll just have to live with the offence.
    It was the Countdown Show, I don't think anyone thought there'd be a risk of getting offended.

Don't disagree. The question is more if it's necessary to exercise that freedom all the time

• Advertisement

It was the Countdown Show, I don't think anyone thought there'd be a risk of getting offended.

Look, there’s many other people would love the opportunity to watch and be offended at what’s on TV so rather than ban/remove it, those who are offended should donate their TV to those who don’t have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,377 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

As I said on another thread

RTÉ always take the easy lazy and cowardly option (cheap shots on Christianity)

If RTÉ want to go down the route of religious humour let them take the p1ss and have a good go off

Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, traditional african religions

etc etc along with the easy and cowardly option of Christianity.

Thankfully the influence of the Catholic Church is waning, this isn't the 1950s and McQuaid threatening to cast everyone on the fires of hell. Sure it wasn't in exemplary taste, then again neither is most satire. Don't like it, there's the remote. In a secular society, whinging to the national broadcaster only serves to invite more lampooning. Devout Christian? Good for you, practice away in your own place of worship. Don't be trying to foist your precious beliefs on others. Last I checked we reside in a democratic country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

The archbishop coming on "denouncing" it is like a throwback to the 1950s

F*uck off

• Registered Users Posts: 15,885 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

*insert tired Fr Ted quote here*

• Registered Users Posts: 15,377 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

McCrack wrote: »
    The archbishop coming on "denouncing" it is like a throwback to the 1950s

F*uck off

He’s right to highlight that RTÉ would run a mile from “offending” literally any other religion

Look, there’s many other people would love the opportunity to watch and be offended at what’s on TV so rather than ban/remove it, those who are offended should donate their TV to those who don’t have one.

So no child or family friendly entertainment allowed in your world, only shock jocks, got it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

If you were hanging on the edge waiting for a glimmer of New Year hope, that show would have pushed you over the edge. Mary most depressing voice ever Coughlan and Brian I can't stop talking about my rectum Kennedy.

So no child or family friendly entertainment allowed in your world, only shock jocks, got it

Maybe we could have a compromise where we import a TV channel on which blasphemy is banned and all the offended people could just watch that channel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

If you were hanging on the edge waiting for a glimmer of New Year hope, that show would have pushed you over the edge. Mary most depressing voice ever Coughlan and Brian I can't stop talking about my rectum Kennedy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,170 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Go ahead and make a joke there, tasteless as you'd like, about the recent incident where a man was shot dead by the Guards and I'd say you wouldn't be too long before receiving an onslaught of outrage, and probably quick removal from this site. As you should be

If you want to want to die on that hill for your belief in the sanctity of "comedy" then go and find the most tasteless remark you can find about that incident on twitter and post it on the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭gazump123

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

It's in poor taste and not in the least bit funny to boot.

However, I don't believe the clip should be taken down, nor do I believe those kind of jokes should be censored. It's a free country and RTE/WWN can make a skit of what they like.

Comedy, like music, is subjective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭rockatansky

RTE should move the offending clip it to another location on its website.

That seems to be how the Catholic Churches solves its problems anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

mzungu wrote: »
    It's in poor taste and not in the least bit funny to boot.

However, I don't believe the clip should be taken down, nor do I believe those kind of jokes should be censored. It's a free country and RTE/WWN can make a skit of what they like.

Comedy, like music, is subjective.

I'd agree, if RTE were principled in their value of the right to mock religion. If someone else made some skits mocking Islam, RTE would take the first seat on the outrage bandwagon.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Kraftwerk

I think if God raped that young women he should face the consequences. Dirty old men don't get a pass just because 2000 years have gone by.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I think RTE should be above making dark humour jokes.

I like dark humour and hate the RCC but the state broadcaster on the new years eve countdown isn't the place for it. Similarly I wouldn't make that joke in work.

If they wouldn't do it about another religion they shouldn't do it about Christianity either.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

The joke has the right to be made.

The catholic church can be offended by it all they want but blasphemy is thankfully no longer a crime.

Interesting if mcantee has her way with propsed hate speech, martin may legally have a case.
    This legislation should be avoided at all costs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

I don't think that actual clip is funny but I do believe in the right of comedians to rip the piss out of all sky fairies. Problem is they usually sidestep Islam and concentrate on Christianity

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Kraftwerk

GarIT wrote: »
    I think RTE should be above making dark humour jokes.

I like dark humour and hate the RCC but the state broadcaster on the new years eve countdown isn't the place for it. Similarly I wouldn't make that joke in work.

If they wouldn't do it about another religion they shouldn't do it about Christianity either.

I think the issue is RTE is run by idiots who haven't a clue what they're doing. They have no concept of good, bad or inappropriate. Its the type of thing David Brent would do in the Office "I think there's been a rape up there...".

Advertisement