Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Archbishop calls on RTÉ to remove 'blasphemous' clip

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

GarIT wrote: »
    Was that not a normal age at the time?
    i think that's a minor detail to quibble over when the context was 'impregnating her without her consent'?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,249 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

they weren't stereotyping catholics. they were referring to a core belief of catholics, the place of which in the canon which is not in question. stereotyping is something else entirely.

You go ahead and draw your own line wherever you want and justify it however you want. That is your right.

But you do have a line. So there is no need to try to be condescending towards others who have a different line. You have your own.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm disagreeing with you; if you want to consider that condescension, we have an issue i cannot solve for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Would have been very brave if they made it about Mohamed

This observation is the one that always misses the point - in a majority faith country you attack that faith and not the minority faiths.

If you were to consider the violence, deceit and cruelty inflicted upon the Irish in our lifetimes which religion would you name first?

(the actual quality of the sketch is irrelevant)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

Fann Linn wrote: »
    That's just the problem. There is absolutely not a snowballs chance in Hell that RTE would put up a satirical sketch depicting Mohammad as a sexual deviant.

Indeed, that is the very point, the joke was about the predominant faith the audience would identify with - Christianity, and the fact that we can make jokes about Christianity without anyone getting killed speaks volumes on the teachings of Christianity...unlike the Muslim faith you seem to be championing.

• Advertisement

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    the Catholic Church hasnt been " establishment " in this country for the guts of two decades , in fact its incredibly weak culturally and socially , hence why RTE took a shot at it

no way would they have dreamed of mocking the fact that the prophet mohamed married a girl at six , unlike middle ireland catholics ( whom they hold in contempt ) , RTE care about what muslims think

nothing remotely brave about mocking the catholic church in 2020

It's not brave, it's simply about time. And it's incredibly naive to think the catholic church aren't establishment. Look at the schools across the country, look at the hospitals, then tell me they're no 'establishment'. Mock the hell out of all of it and rid the country of the nonsense. I think it's great to see it, to see RTE in there in the middle of it for a change. And get rid of the angelus while they're at it!

i'm disagreeing with you; if you want to consider that condescension, we have an issue i cannot solve for you.

I never stated anything about the sketch so I obviously wasn't referring to myself.

I only commented on other people saying that nothing should be taboo. When in fact most people do have their own line. That is all I am pointing out.

interesting use of the word gratuitous.
    it's a core belief of the catholic faith that god selected a teenage girl and decided to impregnate her without her consent. in any context, that's eye popping, and i struggle to understand how it could be defended. it's ripe for the satire shown to it.

Except that it is not true that that is any sort of belief, never mind a core one.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭tjhook

newmember? wrote: »
    the joke was about the predominant faith the audience would identify with - Christianity, and the fact that we can make jokes about Christianity without anyone getting killed speaks volumes on the teachings of Christianity...

Yes, it's great that we *can*.

The fact that the national state-supported broadcaster does so at a time when so many of the public (many of whom identify with Christianity, even if you or I don't) are watching it in celebration is dimwitted. And the fact that RTE shirks from doing so to other similar groups is cowardly.

How likely are we to see a sketch joking about black culture and weapons/drugs? To follow up on your comment, wouldn't it be great if we could? And if we can, do you think it would be fine for it to be broadcasted during RTE's celebration of the new year?

Except that it is not true that that is any sort of belief, never mind a core one.
    it's in the new testament that god had decided to do it before asking her.
    and i went to a catholic school, the fact that jesus was a virgin birth was a pretty big deal.

actually, it'd be kinda fun if the new testament was available as a 'choose your own adventure' book, where you get to choose whether mary tells the angel gabriel to **** off.

• Advertisement

it's in the new testament that god had decided to do it before asking her.
    and i went to a catholic school, the fact that jesus was a virgin birth was a pretty big deal.

actually, it'd be kinda fun if the new testament was available as a 'choose your own adventure' book, where you get to choose whether mary tells the angel gabriel to **** off.

You should have listened more in school. Here is a link to the simple wikipedia (that is actually what it is called). https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary,_mother_of_Jesus . Emphasis added below is mine to make it easier for you to read

In the sixth month, the angel Gabriel was sent from God to a town of Galilee called Nazareth, to a virgin betrothed to a man named Joseph, of the house of David, and the virgin’s name was Mary. And coming to her, he said, “Hail, favored one! The Lord is with you.” But she was greatly troubled at what was said and pondered what sort of greeting this might be. Then the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God. Behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall name him Jesus. He will be great and will be called Son of the Most High, and the Lord God will give him the throne of David his father, and he will rule over the house of Jacob forever, and of his kingdom there will be no end.” But Mary said to the angel, “How can this be, since I have no relations with a man?” And the angel said to her in reply, “The holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. Therefore the child to be born will be called holy, the Son of God. And behold, Elizabeth, your relative, has also conceived a son in her old age, and this is the sixth month for her who was called barren; for nothing will be impossible for God.” Mary said, “Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord. May it be done to me according to your word.” Then the angel departed from her.

You can take the piss out of the belief, and Catholics, to your hearts content (As I have no doubt your immediate reaction would be). But your statement that the core belief is that it she was impregnated without consent is wrong and merely shows your own ignorance

• Registered Users Posts: 7,763 ✭✭✭growleaves

This observation is the one that always misses the point - in a majority faith country you attack that faith and not the minority faiths.

If you were to consider the violence, deceit and cruelty inflicted upon the Irish in our lifetimes which religion would you name first?

(the actual quality of the sketch is irrelevant)

The dominant (non-)belief in Ireland is a-theism. When can we expect attacks on that? Or on political liberalism, the strongest thing believed in by the entire population overall.

But your statement that the core belief is that it she was impregnated without consent is wrong and merely shows your own ignorance
    you are an illiterate peasant girl in iron age galilee, and you are visted by *the archangel gabriel* who tells you god has plans for you. do you feel like you have the freedom to say no? the conversation is not one of 'are you willing to do this?' - it's one where the outcome is presented as a fait accompli.

i call that enforced consent, which is not consent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Acosta wrote: »
    I call on the Archbishop and church to pay the millions they still owe the many victims of abuse.

Fair enough if catholics are pissed off about it. They should write in. But all I can see on other social media is the youth defence/national party crowd up in arms about it. They spend most of their time whinging about RTE but continue to watch it for some reason.

I call on the taxpayer to pay the catholic church for hundreds of years of literacy, recording of history and being a steward to the Irish republican identity, where otherwise we were destined to endless servitude and penal laws.

Also for preserving important classical texts as well as social care and health care for hundreds of years. What do you think that's worth?

you are an illiterate peasant girl in iron age galilee, and you are visted by *the archangel gabriel* who tells you god has plans for you. do you feel like you have the freedom to say no?
    i call that enforced consent, which is not consent. the conversation is not one of 'are you willing to do this?' - it's one where the outcome is present as a fait accompli.

Ah, trying to change the goalposts now I see - Mary couldn't give consent because she was only a stupid young wan. And sure, as we know, women can't be trusted to know their own minds.

You are free to think whatever you want about Catholicism or Catholics. I don't give a shit. I'm merely pointing out that your statement about "core belief" is incorrect.

tjhook wrote: »

The fact that the national state-supported broadcaster does so at a time when so many of the public (many of whom identify with Christianity, even if you or I don't) are watching it in celebration is dimwitted...

How is it dimwitted - it's in the format of spoof "current news" - the joke is about Christmas ffs.

tjhook wrote: »

The fact that the national state-supported broadcaster does so at a time when so many of the public (many of whom identify with Christianity, even if you or I don't) are watching it in celebration is dimwitted...

How is it dimwitted - it's in the format of spoof "current news" - the joke is about Christmas shown at Christmas time.

You are free to think whatever you want about Catholicism or Catholics. I don't give a shit. I'm merely pointing out that your statement about "core belief" is incorrect.
    fair enough, it's clear you see nothing wrong with that narrative. however, it's disturbing, so thankfully it's untrue, despite people choosing to believe otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Acosta

I call on the taxpayer to pay the catholic church for hundreds of years of literacy, recording of history and being a steward to the Irish republican identity, where otherwise we were destined to endless servitude and penal laws.

Also for preserving important classical texts as well as social care and health care for hundreds of years. What do you think that's worth?

Probably not as much as the hundred million they still owe their victims. Or what they made from selling the babies of unmarried mothers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭basillarkin

you are an illiterate peasant girl in iron age galilee, and you are visted by *the archangel gabriel* who tells you god has plans for you. do you feel like you have the freedom to say no? the conversation is not one of 'are you willing to do this?' - it's one where the outcome is presented as a fait accompli.

i call that enforced consent, which is not consent.

Consent stop, just read over what you have written, how could that sound rational to any sane human being. Mary been impregnated with God's child who is himself. It's crazy pyscho bs. I'm delighted rte have left it up, it is actually funny enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭tjhook

newmember? wrote: »
    How is it dimwitted - it's in the format of spoof "current news" - the joke is about Christmas ffs.

The timing is dimwitted. If they'd shown it at 10:30pm on a November evening, there'd be little fuss. To pick a time when many of their audience is celebrating the new year, and linking their religious beliefs to rape, is likely to kick up a fuss. And one thing RTE bends over backwards to avoid is a fuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Acosta wrote: »
    Probably not as much as the hundred million they still owe their victims. Or what they made from selling the babies of unmarried mothers.

Are you kidding me, we owe them trillions in monetary terms. We wouldn't even exist as a nation without them. We might not even exist as an identity.

Am I supposed to feel sorry for the church here or something?

Cos thats never going to happen

They were offended by a sketch, boo frikkin hoo

I could list out the things I find offensive about the CC and their antics in this state over the last 100 years......

• Registered Users Posts: 25,277 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ah ya the poor auld church. Sure they made no money off the state from the slave labour laundries or the pay for use irish healthcare system.

I feel real sorry for the crowd that are one of the biggest landowners in the state

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Are you kidding me, we owe them trillions in monetary terms. We wouldn't even exist as a nation without them. We might not even exist as an identity.

Please set out how we owe them trillions.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,425 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

If RTÉ want to go down the road of

Edgy religious humour

Let them go and have a right piss take of

Islam, Hinduism, African traditional religions etc etc

Along with the safe and boring cheap shots on Christianity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Acosta

Jaysus, how did you come to that conclusion?

JayZeus wrote: »
    The Catholic church failed to remove paedophile priests from parishes. They can learn to put up with people mocking them now.

It’s a crappy TV clip from a crappy ‘comedian’ on a crappy TV show. Get over yourselves and put some energy into restitution for the heinous crimes ye committed against children and vulnerable adults.

In any case, it’s all a load of nonsense so it’s all fair game for cracking jokes and making fun of these absolutely ridiculous beliefs.

So because the Church didn't distinguish itself dealing with paedophile priests, its congregation must ensure having their beliefs belittled and ridiculed for ever, while other faiths get a free ride.

All beliefs should be open to ridicule. Or none.

And a state broadcast on New Year's eve when citizens had very little choice, after the year they had, was not the time to be "edgy"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭conorhal

JayZeus wrote: »
    That’s not the point at all. The point is that they pick up a ‘joke’ that targets the largest, most dominant faith in Ireland and people get all twisted up about it. It’s absolutely ridiculous how people are reacting. Bravo RTE. More of this anti-establishment stuff is what’s needed.

But a bell goes bong for sixty seconds at 6pm on the telly, insulting nobody, and it's like REEEEEEEEEEE!!! GET THAT OFF THE TV!!!
    Bunch of smuckling hypocrites.

Also, there's nothing 'anti-establishment' about fedora tipping atheism, which is the establishment and yet somhow still persists in 'fighting the man'.

• Advertisement

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    This was not homophobic rhetoric and I Am Not homophobic at all.

Aengus Mac Grianna has belittled himself and his family be engaging in such egregious remarks about Jesus Christ and God who many billions of people across the planet trust and believe in some form or another.... Maybe not as Christians but other forms of religion who I imagine would not approve of such a skit.

I went to UCD with Aengus Mac Grianna and am surprised and appalled he would steep so low.

I don't watch RTE as I find it anti-clerical and actively pro-gay which I am not. That this not mean I am homophobic. I work with many gay people but do not approve of gay relations, end of.

Ah here
    Is criticising that ****e now homophobic?

Advertisement