Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Archbishop calls on RTÉ to remove 'blasphemous' clip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,982 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd have little issue with it if other major religions were also made crude jokes off but that didn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I'd have little issue with it if other major religions were also made crude jokes off but that didn't happen.

Just a little matter of the possibility of your head being sliced off by a religious lunatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Just a little matter of the possibility of your head being sliced off by a religious lunatic.

I guess the Christians should be doing some more head slicing then if it's working for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Everything should be up for comedy or satire. No special cases, no exceptions.

I agree entirely... but comedy should certainly be funny, this was just a cringe - as was most of that particular segment.

A pity, as I like reading Waterford Whispers, but it looks like someone went to a bit of effort to find and film the least funny offerings.

• Sure I’m sure even if there is a God he’s a bit too busy to care what RTÉ might have said about him. Prob has a communion or baptism to focus on. Bishop didnt need to get so up in arms over this & RTÉ making fun of it is little different to me than if they aired Fr. ted.

• Advertisement

Sure I’m sure even if there is a God he’s a bit too busy to care what RTÉ might have said about him. Prob has a communion or baptism to focus on. Bishop didnt need to get so up in arms over this & RTÉ making fun of it is little different to me than if they aired Fr. ted.

It doesn't fit with the theme though. "2020 has been bad, 2021 will be better, were all in this together, **** the Christians, yay diversity, woo Ireland!"

GarIT wrote: »
    I think RTE should be above making dark humour jokes.

I like dark humour and hate the RCC but the state broadcaster on the new years eve countdown isn't the place for it. Similarly I wouldn't make that joke in work.

If they wouldn't do it about another religion they shouldn't do it about Christianity either.

RTE aren't that good at comedy full stop.
    WWN is hit and miss at the best of times, quantity over quality.

It's not really appropriate to a NYE show, edgy late night comedy any other time, sure knock yourself out.
    I'll bet the Brits will chuckle at our expense, an archbishop weighing in...what a benighted priest ridden island they'll think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Fast Twitch

Smee_Again wrote: »
    If they don’t want to see the clip they should just not watch it.

It was a NYE programme and came onscreen quickly. How do you just not watch it??

Smee_Again wrote: »
    What about personal responsibility? They should know that getting offended is a risk of watching TV so they can’t very well complain after the fact. They’ll just have to live with the offence.

What a stupid point.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

Wud it have been funnier if it was about Mary and Joseph trying to get a B&B, hotel or an Inn during a pandemic on Christmas Eve?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭CiboC

It was the Countdown Show, I don't think anyone thought there'd be a risk of getting offended.

I actually found the whole show offensive, jesus it was awful television. And yes, I did turn it off when it breached my 'WTF is my licence fee paying for?' threshold

Thankfully the influence of the Catholic Church is waning, this isn't the 1950s and McQuaid threatening to cast everyone on the fires of hell. Sure it wasn't in exemplary taste, then again neither is most satire. Don't like it, there's the remote. In a secular society, whinging to the national broadcaster only serves to invite more lampooning. Devout Christian? Good for you, practice away in your own place of worship. Don't be trying to foist your precious beliefs on others. Last I checked we reside in a democratic country.

Democratic Country.

Do you know what that means?? Respecting the rights of minorities. Calling somebody's God a pedophile isn't democratic. You're a buffer. Making waffly speeches and don't know what the words you use mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

If RTE just had that clip on their fabulous RTE player, then most of us wouldn't have seen it anyway :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Achebe

biko wrote: »
    It's kinda funny I think.
    Although Mary wasn't a migrant. She simply travelled with her husband from Nazareth to Bethlehem for a census. They then returned home again.

The flight into Egypt.

If there's anything more miserable than being forced to stay home on NYE, it's watching whatever "special" RTE comes up with.

Guaranteed awfulness.

RTE should move the offending clip it to another location on its website.

That seems to be how the Catholic Churches solves its problems anyway.

Why are ye all so fixated with the Catholic church? I'm Anglican and found it offensive.

RTE aren't that good at comedy full stop.
    WWN is hit and miss at the best of times, quantity over quality.

It's not really appropriate to a NYE show, edgy late night comedy any other time, sure knock yourself out.
    I'll bet the Brits will chuckle at our expense, an archbishop weighing in...what a benighted priest ridden island they'll think.

What have they to laugh at? And why is the first thing you think of what will the Brits think? Fcuk the Brits. They're a joke. Look at their response to Covid, their joke of a PM, Brexit.

Grow up ta fcuk, stand on your own two feet. Oh mammy what will the Brits think? Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Helgagirl

If comedians or people in general have the right to say whatever they want, surely the Archbishop or anyone else has the right to state that they found this offensive.

What have they to laugh at? And why is the first thing you think of what will the Brits think? Fcuk the Brits. They're a joke. Look at their response to Covid, their joke of a PM, Brexit.

Grow up ta fcuk, stand on your own two feet. Oh mammy what will the Brits think? Christ.

Ah relax will ya?

Don't you think it's a bit odd in this day and age an archbishop giving out to anyone publicly? Fr Ted life imitating art?

Helgagirl wrote: »
    If comedians or people in general have the right to say whatever they want, surely the Archbishop or anyone else has the right to state that they found this offensive.

That's equality and liberty today. Many like to preach a good game of equality and freedom of speech for all...but really this only applies to the people and causes they like.

• Advertisement

Ah relax will ya?

Don't you think it's a bit odd in this day and age an archbishop giving out to anyone publicly? Fr Ted life imitating art?

You and your Brits. What will the Brits think :D Grow a pair. Have you no self confidence that you worry so much about what others, of all people, 'the Brits' think.

You must be after a Knighthood, Sir Whisky Galore.

Why is it odd, the man is a spiritual leader and is entitled to his opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭MintyMagnum

I actually don't think rape jokes are funny

• Registered Users Posts: 55,157 ✭✭✭✭walshb

McCrack wrote: »
    The archbishop coming on "denouncing" it is like a throwback to the 1950s

F*uck off

It’s not really..

The sketch was crass, immature and deliberately designed to offend..

I am not really religious, and could see that.

Another example of people going out of their way to try and cause offence and create controversy..

Just the usual erosion of standards. No surprise!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭valoren

The joke would have worked better if it had a mocked up tweet from Mary saying #ImmaculateConception #MeToo and the God character fruitlessly trying to explain it away in a "things were different back then, you can't go applying modern day standards to stuff that happened two thousand years ago..."

It becomes a piece of satire on metoo and abuse of power and not blasphemy. What's actually funny is that there are still people who believe that a sky fairy impregnated a woman through their divine power and go to the effort of formally complaining about comedians taking the piss out it.

Kivaro wrote: »
    If RTE just had that clip on their fabulous RTE player, then most of us wouldn't have seen it anyway :pac:

They manage to clip Tubbardy's "ah for **** sake" out of the toy show for both the +1 showing and on the player.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

RTE is a depraved and anti-church channel and has been for decades now.

Ireland itself has become a hedonistic and immoral society where the abnormal has become the normal...i.e. Straight people being forced to embrace and endorse Gay values when fundamentally we may not agree with them.

Since when is Gay relationships normal behaviour?? I admit that these people are born this way but it is still not normal sexual behaviour in my opinion.

Not saying that the Gay community should not have the same rights as others but do we really need to have Gay Pride (during normal times) in our faces??

What about straight Pride.... ??? Maybe we could organise this post Covid??

RTE would not have the balls to criticise the Muslim religion as they know only too well the reaction they would get. Heads would roll....literally.

Ah relax will ya?

No, it's not odd that community leaders would comment on an event that hurt a significant portion of their community

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Achebe wrote: »
    The flight into Egypt.

Wouldn't happen these days.... flights are banned. :)

• Helgagirl wrote: »

He can squeal all he likes.

Once upon a time him demanding RTÉ remove it would result in it being removed.

Thankfully we've moved on from those dark times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,307 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Sure I’m sure even if there is a God he’s a bit too busy to care what RTÉ might have said about him. Prob has a communion or baptism to focus on. Bishop didnt need to get so up in arms over this & RTÉ making fun of it is little different to me than if they aired Fr. ted.

RTE have said that they are not going to remove the clip but put a banner on it saying some might find it offensive.

Remember, this was meant to be a light entertainment show for everyone, yet they saw to include offensive content. That's not right tbf.

Advertisement