Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Archbishop calls on RTÉ to remove 'blasphemous' clip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Smee_Again wrote: »
    No one likes to be offended equally no one has a right to not be offended.

Can you not see that it might be nice even if it's not a right?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Suggest those who found offence complain to Rte
    https://twitter.com/Ben_Scallan/status/1345049118247440384?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

growleaves wrote: »
    It will very soon be a criminal offence to make fun of Jews, Hindus, Muslims, gays, travellers etc. It will make you officially a "hate criminal" with convictions barring you from employment.

People should take a step back, like you say, and see that piling on Christians is quite unfair.

What is happening is that hatred and laughter against one group is encouraged and paid for, while jokes about anyone else is a serious offence.

If all those who preached equality actually believed in equality then this wouldn't even be an issue. Sadly, "equality" to modern activists means special rights for certain groups, and Christians certainly are not one of those groups.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Anyone can be offended by anything.
    I think we can see the frankly irrational explosion in that over the past few yaers.

Comedy, and as most have said this was a very poor effort, is subjective.
    If everyone else and their safe spaces can express offence then so can the bish.

Therefore, I am on RTE's side in not taking this down or caving in to people that take offence.
    As for RTE's output, the conundrum is they will never broadcast something similar mocking the current sacred illiberal cows.
    You can take that one to the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

GarIT wrote: »
    Can you not see that it might be nice even if it's not a right?

Sure, but so what? We’re back to my original point, don’t watch TV if you’re easily offended.

• Advertisement

The Catholic church failed to remove paedophile priests from parishes. They can learn to put up with people mocking them now.

It’s a crappy TV clip from a crappy ‘comedian’ on a crappy TV show. Get over yourselves and put some energy into restitution for the heinous crimes ye committed against children and vulnerable adults.

In any case, it’s all a load of nonsense so it’s all fair game for cracking jokes and making fun of these absolutely ridiculous beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,274 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

GarIT wrote: »
    What organisation did Mary belong to?

If you want to be technical none because she didn't exist.

But the image of the blue & white caucasian middle eastern virgin is a Catholic on and all the grottos in Ireland were built by or with the help of the Roman Catholic Church

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

As I said on another thread

RTÉ always take the easy lazy and cowardly option (cheap shots on Christianity)

If RTÉ want to go down the route of religious humour let them take the p1ss and have a good go off

Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, traditional african religions

etc etc along with the easy and cowardly option of Christianity.

Exactly it is the bloody double standards.

All the ones that make jokes about religions and ethnic groups go for easy targets, the targets that don't fight back, literally in some cases.

How many of them have the balls to take on certain sacred cows, certain religions groups, certain races, certain "genders".

Pull the pi** out of all religions or none.

And of course I bet a fair few of the ones on here shouting about how it is fine to do this and christians don't have a sense of humour would be the very ones crying descrimination if this was done to certain other religions that has a cohort always defending it's excesses.

I await to see what religion RTE pull the p**s put of next.

I am not allowed discuss …

growleaves wrote: »
    The Bolsheviks dynamited Cathedrals in the 1930s.

Is that the kind of personal legacy you want for yourself, as a sort of atheist Taliban?

I didn't suggest dynamiting anything. It's not a Nelson's column job I'm after but they could be peacefully taken down in respect for the huge number of beaten and raped at the hands of the church.

Seeing as the church are suddenly concerned about people being offended they would surely comply

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

JayZeus wrote: »
    The Catholic church failed to remove paedophile priests from parishes. They can learn to put up with people mocking them now.

It’s a crappy TV clip from a crappy ‘comedian’ on a crappy TV show. Get over yourselves and put some energy into restitution for the heinous crimes ye committed against children and vulnerable adults.

In any case, it’s all a load of nonsense so it’s all fair game for cracking jokes and making fun of these absolutely ridiculous beliefs.

The point is though that RTE don't believe what you believe, they wouldn't mock any other groups, as they are bunch of cowards who attack those who react the most weakly. You won't see any Christians causing violence over this, whereas you can't say the same about certain other religious groups.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭titan18

If they want to make jokes about religion, do it for all. We all know they wouldn't do that sort of clip for Islam though so it shouldn't be acceptable to do it on Christianity.

I'm grand with it, even if it's low brow unfunny trash, if they're willing to do that for other religions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,763 ✭✭✭growleaves

The clip wasn't a mockery of the Catholic Church, it was a mockery of God and Christian scripture.

Its the piling on against one group even as we claim jokes about other groups are very serious crimes that I find suspicious and wrong.

NYE celebrations are for everyone in the country as a whole. Yet we're supposed to ring in the New Year with scorn for a sizable minority chunk of the population?

TomTomTim wrote: »
    If all those who preached equality actually believed in equality then this wouldn't even be an issue. Sadly, "equality" to modern activists means special rights for certain groups, and Christians certainly are not one of those groups.

I would have said the opposite. I think Christians take more **** than anyone else and I say that as someone who passionately hates the RCC. If you look back over my post history you will see in the Christianity forum I have said all Catholics are endorsing Padeophilia by not moving to another church and even I think this wasn't the right time or place for this.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't read the not in the last sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Choochtown

Looks like most of the people complaining here would be happy if there were a few oul Muslim jokes to even things up!

Choochtown wrote: »
    Looks like most of the people complaining here would be happy if there were a few oul Muslim jokes to even things up!

Yes. I'm in favour of equality. The state broadcaster should mock everyone or nobody.

The point is though that RTE don't believe what you believe, they wouldn't mock any other groups, as they are bunch of cowards who attack those who react the most weakly. You won't see any Christians causing violence over this, whereas you can't say the same about certain other religious groups.

That’s not the point at all. The point is that they pick up a ‘joke’ that targets the largest, most dominant faith in Ireland and people get all twisted up about it. It’s absolutely ridiculous how people are reacting. Bravo RTE. More of this anti-establishment stuff is what’s needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

That's just the problem. There is absolutely not a snowballs chance in Hell that RTE would put up a satirical sketch depicting Mohammad as a sexual deviant.

breezy1985 wrote: »
    If you want to be technical none because she didn't exist.

But the image of the blue & white caucasian middle eastern virgin is a Catholic on and all the grottos in Ireland were built by or with the help of the Roman Catholic Church

So we're any official building, school, hospital in Ireland, will we pull them all down?

That's fine, but one group really shouldn't be constantly picked on - its behaviour that amounts to public bullying and humiliation. What has seemingly been allowed to happen and become acceptable is that the only faith group that can be denigrated is Christians. Is that right?

My second point was this was supposed to be an inclusive light entertainment show for the masses. Coarse "satire" (really not sure this is worthy of being called satire, but anyway) should be presented as that. The audience really should have an idea what they are going to be presented before sitting down to watch. No one really expects a show with crooners to suddenly take a turn and have a pop at their religious beliefs. Do they?

That's an interesting point. I see RTE playing the Angelus (a Catholic tradition) every evening but you see one group being "constantly picked on"

Can you give some examples of Christians being "constantly picked on" please?

Smee_Again wrote: »
    Sure, but so what? We’re back to my original point, don’t watch TV if you’re easily offended.

Or we could have different channels maybe that cater to different people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Acosta

I call on the Archbishop and church to pay the millions they still owe the many victims of abuse.

Fair enough if catholics are pissed off about it. They should write in. But all I can see on other social media is the youth defence/national party crowd up in arms about it. They spend most of their time whinging about RTE but continue to watch it for some reason.

Actually if you look at the history of the Irish state you will find the only group who have ever acted with violence against those with different beliefs in any noteworthy way we're the Christians.

Or have I been misinformed about the treatment of unmarried mothers and gays

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

When can we expect RTE to do a skit on Muhammad and his 9 year old bride ?

I mean surely in the interest of fairness we can expect no less.

Or maybe they might just stretch to pulling the p** out of presbyterians or church of Ireland types. :rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

Fann Linn wrote: »
    That's just the problem. There is absolutely not a snowballs chance in Hell that RTE would put up a satirical sketch depicting Mohammad as a sexual deviant.

"That's just the problem"

So now we're getting to the nub of the issue.

This isn't about being offended because someone made a joke about people believing in a virgin becoming pregnant this is a "my religion is better than your religion" issue.

Thank you for clearing that up.

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Actually if you look at the history of the Irish state you will find the only group who have ever acted with violence against those with different beliefs in any noteworthy way we're the Christians.

Or have I been misinformed about the treatment of unmarried mothers and gays

False. Republicans with Marxist-Leninist beliefs have acted with violence against those with different political beliefs to them.

Some of the replies on here are equivalent to somebody getting offended about a joke regarding Parkinson's disease and coming out with "That's disgraceful I never see a joke about cancer"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

jmayo wrote: »
    When can we expect RTE to do a skit on Muhammad and his 9 year old bride ?

I mean surely in the interest of fairness we can expect no less.

unless RTE has a hidden pool of muslim or jewish comedians, i cannot see anyone being interested in writing jokes about religions they don't know anything about.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

That’s not the point at all. The point is that they pick up a ‘joke’ that targets the largest, most dominant faith in Ireland and people get all twisted up about it. It’s absolutely ridiculous how people are reacting. Bravo RTE. More of this anti-establishment stuff is what’s needed.

the Catholic Church hasnt been " establishment " in this country for the guts of two decades , in fact its incredibly weak culturally and socially , hence why RTE took a shot at it

no way would they have dreamed of mocking the fact that the prophet mohamed married a girl at six , unlike middle ireland catholics ( whom they hold in contempt ) , RTE care about what muslims think

nothing remotely brave about mocking the catholic church in 2020

Some of the replies on here are equivalent to somebody getting offended about a joke regarding Parkinson's disease and coming out with "That's disgraceful I never see a joke about cancer"

That's because these people are arguing for something like parity of esteem for all religions in public life.

Personally I don't want to see any group mocked on NYE which is a countrywide celebration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

"That's just the problem"

So now we're getting to the nub of the issue.

This isn't about being offended because someone made a joke about people believing in a virgin becoming pregnant this is a "my religion is better than your religion" issue.

Thank you for clearing that up.

My comment was made in relation to your post regarding Muslim jokes.
    It's never going to happen.
    Thats the point I made, pretty clear cut if ye ask me.
    Because as as been illustrated across many states, when jokes are made about Muslims, murder and mayhem normally follows.

Advertisement