Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fight Time From 4am-McGregor vs Mayweather**MOD Warning in 1st Post**

Options
  • 12-01-2017 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭

So, this is looking more likely to be on the cards sooner rather than later...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/38591420

Any opinion on who would win this potential fight?

MOD Warning:

1- Anyone that posts or request the whereabouts of illegal streams for this fight, will result in a ban.

2- IF YOU CAN'T DEBATE WITHOUT ACTING LIKE A CHILD AND RESORTING TO INSULTS, THEN WE WILL BAN PEOPLE.

3- PLEASE KEEP THE THREAD ON-TOPIC

4 - To watch sign up for an account here: https://skyboxoffice.neulion.com

:sign into your account

:buy the event here
    https://skyboxoffice.neulion.com/vid...her-v-mcgregor

Then you stream it through that same link on your browser on your laptop/desktop, or HDMI to your TV from it.

Who wins and how? 700 votes

Floyd on points
    0%
    Floyd via KO-TKO
    18%
    super_furrytuxyTCP/IPhighdefJazzyJbennycBluefoammcgovernKeyzereviltimebanligerkollegeknightPOKERKINGSparkoPaulKKwalshbchupacabraCableguyIrishderchrislad 132 votes
    Floyd via DQ
    49%
    RasTaDont be at yourselfSkySterGibletDempseyv10the whole year innDampsquidBambaatalong_bLawros Tacheiggybranners69ErinGoBrathMyPeopleDrankTheSoupbeansthedufferblobertevad_lhorgDoctorEdgeWild 344 votes
    Draw
    3%
    airloyatemusink[Deleted User]NUTZZMellorDeedsieBonnieSituationyoungbloodceegeeSteelyDanJalapenoPTH2009blade1shootermacglilkaShoelacesJFlahcourt_opinionKellfordsigmundv 27 votes
    Conor on points
    1%
    bren2002norabattieSEPT 23 1989uptherebelsCatmologenfrozen74m1ck007Karlrocks23JCX BXCA cow called DaisyArne_SaknussemBannerBoy1Sweet Science 13 votes
    Conor via KO-TKO
    2%
    Agent Smithjimmycrackcormj@utispaulb06Huza91byrneg28wonderfullifenerobertFive Green BottlesretweetarayessMena Mittypower29QuagsImallrightjack 15 votes
    Conor via DQ
    24%
    SickBoyMr.StRiPevasch_roBArraBigConstickerBENJIspendlovemada999ROAAARAkrasiaHealiobig sykeTony H[Deleted User]monster1m5ex9oqjawdg2iPigheadTristramMorporkmloc123 169 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Floyd via DQ
    Who would win? The two men's bank accounts and the promoters. Anyone paying to watch this is a fool.

Pure freak show nonsense that has nothing to do with the sport of boxing.

Under MMA rules McGregor beats him in two minutes. Under boxing rules then Floyd makes him look an absolute fool.

There is no mystery about MMA v. Boxing anymore; they're totally different sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,709 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Floyd via KO-TKO
    Well, Conor wins here no matter what. He gets to fight the most bankable athlete on earth, who also happens to fight quite scared, so even losing I think Conor may not get as huts compared to say fighting Manny.

I'd be very surprised if this went past 4 rds, even taking into account Mayweather fighting scared. He would nail Conor frequently, and with enough for to hurt him, and stop him

Complete joke. Would probably watch though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Floyd via DQ
    degsie wrote: »
    So, this is looking more likely to be on the cards sooner rather than later...

Still don't think it's anything more than the two of them keeping themselves in the headlines.

Not gonna happen IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

FTA69 wrote: »
    Who would win? The two men's bank accounts and the promoters. Anyone paying to watch this is a fool.

Pure freak show nonsense that has nothing to do with the sport of boxing.

Under MMA rules McGregor beats him in two minutes. Under boxing rules then Floyd makes him look an absolute fool.

There is no mystery about MMA v. Boxing anymore; they're totally different sports.

Bang on the money. I'm a huge MMA fan but McGregor wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell in a boxing match. Only thing I disagree with in that post is that I'd give Mayweather a better shot in MMA than I would McGregor in boxing.

The fact is that McGregor should destroy him in MMA, but knowing him he would try and turn an MMA match into a boxing match by standing and trading shots with Floyd.

Look at the Couture vs Toney fight from a few years ago. Couture humiliated Toney, because he fought the way an MMA fighter should against a boxer. Trip takedown from way out, quick submission on the ground. If Couture stood and boxed with Toney he would have been KO'd. I wouldn't put it past McGregor to stay standing in an MMA fight too.

Then again that kind of arrogance and bad planning was what cost him the first Diaz fight, but the second time they fought he stuck to a sensible gameplan, so who knows.

PS, he ain't doing it for $15M though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Floyd via DQ
    Interesting watching the Sparring of McGregor and Chris van Heerden....
    In the interview afterwards, Van Heerden respectfully points out that McGregor would be no match for a top 20 Boxer's power...

This wouldn´t be a boxing fight.. it would be over inside the first round..

And Mayweather isn´t going to do MMA according to what he says here... He also hates fighting without gloves...

5min 45 minutes into the interview...

Floyd via KO-TKO
    Floyd is wealthy beyond limits. Why does he need to be guaranteed 100 million to beat up a non boxer? The guy is rather odd, isn't he. Would 50 million not be enough?:eek: What exactly is he trying to prove...

Do it for free, Floyd. What's the harm....easy night no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭selectamatic

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Bang on the money. I'm a huge MMA fan but McGregor wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell in a boxing match. Only thing I disagree with in that post is that I'd give Mayweather a better shot in MMA than I would McGregor in boxing.

The fact is that McGregor should destroy him in MMA, but knowing him he would try and turn an MMA match into a boxing match by standing and trading shots with Floyd.

Look at the Couture vs Toney fight from a few years ago. Couture humiliated Toney, because he fought the way an MMA fighter should against a boxer. Trip takedown from way out, quick submission on the ground. If Couture stood and boxed with Toney he would have been KO'd. I wouldn't put it past McGregor to stay standing in an MMA fight too.

Then again that kind of arrogance and bad planning was what cost him the first Diaz fight, but the second time they fought he stuck to a sensible gameplan, so who knows.

PS, he ain't doing it for $15M though.

I'd agree with the notion of mcgregor in an mma fight wanting to win via strikes but to say that'd mean he'd turn it into a boxing match is a tad naive.

I'd have Conor destroying mayweathers lead leg with kicks and then prob a ko via a head kick or perhaps finishing a dazed mayweather with punches and then claiming to have outboxed him.

Either way this is a freak show.

I'd be highly doubtful of the takedown/submission route as look at all the stick Micky Gall got for doing just that to CM Punk.

In boxing it's a handy mayweather win.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I'd be highly doubtful of the takedown/submission route as look at all the stick Micky Gall got for doing just that to CM Punk.

Not quite the same. Gall could have beaten Punk standing OR on the ground with a hand tied behind his back.

I just mean that in the Couture Toney fight, it was the quickest and smartest way to win. Standing with Toney would have been daft, especially since Couture never had the kicking game that McGregor does.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Floyd via DQ
    Mickey Gall is a real fighter in fairness, wouldn't take him too lightly. H

• Advertisement

Floyd via KO-TKO

Him and 1000s of others. There are novice boxers all over Ireland who would be far too good for Conor. Some people don't seem to realise that Conor is not a practicing boxer.

I realise that Gall is MMA

• Registered Users Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭selectamatic

100% agree and he's a young fella on the rise so it was a logical fight by him. Win handy and take zero damage or risk.

It's just lighting someone up with strikes will always trump a submission in a highlight reel. One could argue Gall missed out on that opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Floyd via DQ
    Money May would not be happy being the B side of that thread title I tells ya.

Look forward to more weeks/months of this as both men keep themselves relevant and in the public eye while not competing.

If this circus does happen it will be an easy nights work for Mayweather, obviously, and probably a non too damaging night for McGregor also. Not like he is going to be eating many haymakers from Floyd anyway.

It would be a brilliant excercise in relieving fools of their money more then anything, and I am sure there is collusion going between to two camps to stoke interest in it.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Well its certainly gaining traction and cannot be discounted due to the potential enormous sums involved.

Dana White has today offered Floyd & Conor $25m each plus PPV cut so the negotiations have begun.

I'm not a fan of MMA but a huge fan of McGregor and what he has done. Over here he is a hero but agree it is a complete freakshow.

Boxing wise it is a complete embarrassment and only one winner and cant see Floyd agreeing to roll around on the floor.

It needs to happen this year as the public will get bored plus Floyd is 40 next month.

Never say never.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Henno30

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Well its certainly gaining traction and cannot be discounted due to the potential enormous sums involved.

Dana White has today offered Floyd & Conor $25m each plus PPV cut so the negotiations have begun.

I'm not a fan of MMA but a huge fan of McGregor and what he has done. Over here he is a hero but agree it is a complete freakshow.

Boxing wise it is a complete embarrassment and only one winner and cant see Floyd agreeing to roll around on the floor.

It needs to happen this year as the public will get bored plus Floyd is 40 next month.

Never say never.

Think I'll say never. It makes sense for Floyd. It makes some sense for Conor. It makes no sense at all for the UFC. They're not going to let their brand be tarnished by a circus act like this.

The UFC have huge power over their fighters and Conor has been constantly looking for new sources of negotiating leverage. He's going down a blind allery here, however, as doing this fight would mean he's out of the UFC for good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Floyd via KO-TKO
    Floyd is 40 with brittle hands, hasnt fought in ages its also harder to do a fight camp aged 40 and get down to weight so far that reason alone I think Conor beats him,

He's always struggled with heavy punchers like Maidana ect hasnt ko'd anybody since the sucker punch of Ortiz, McGregors style would cause him serious trouble I'd expect McGregor's left hand to ko Mayweather in 6, hes used to 5min rounds in mma so the 3minute ones would increase his power output.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭The real mccoy 91

Floyd via DQ
    Gamebred wrote:
    Floyd is 40 with brittle hands, hasnt fought in ages its also harder to do a fight camp aged 40 and get down to weight so far that reason alone I think Conor beats him,

Gamebred wrote:
    He's always struggled with heavy punchers like Maidana ect hasnt ko'd anybody since the sucker punch of Ortiz, McGregors style would cause him serious trouble I'd expect McGregor's left hand to ko Mayweather in 6, hes used to 5min rounds in mma so the 3minute ones would increase his power output.

You seem to be forgetting the fact that Floyd is one of if not the best defensive fighter and is so good at not getting hit.

I'm a believer that the fight won't happen but if it did I don't see Mayweather losing the unbeaten tag. Don't think it'd be much of a spectacle as it would be way over hyped and I can see Mayweather staying out of range and picking mcgregor off as he pleases.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Floyd via DQ
    Gamebred wrote: »

This is the craziest thing I've ever read in my entire life.

Floyd would absolutely toy with McGregor. A number of Irish amateur boxers would too.

If I had to predict how it goes I'd say McGregor gets stopped on his feet within 5. Floyd will land at will all fight long.

It's all irrelevant though. The fight won't happen.

Floyd via KO-TKO
    Morrison J wrote: »
    This is the craziest thing I've ever read in my entire life.

Floyd would absolutely toy with McGregor. A number of Irish amateur boxers would too.

If I had to predict how it goes I'd say McGregor gets stopped on his feet within 5. Floyd will land at will all fight long.

It's all irrelevant though. The fight won't happen.

Firstly I believe the fight will happen too much money on the table for all parties involved,

Floyd is a great defensive fighter but he hasnt hurt anybody with a single punch in years he'd try jab his way to victory but McGregor's left hand is one of the the best shots in combat sports history if he went the boxing route he'd be world champion now easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Conor via DQ
    Henno30 wrote: »
    Think I'll say never. It makes sense for Floyd. It makes some sense for Conor. It makes no sense at all for the UFC. They're not going to let their brand be tarnished by a circus act like this.

The UFC have huge power over their fighters and Conor has been constantly looking for new sources of negotiating leverage. He's going down a blind allery here, however, as doing this fight would mean he's out of the UFC for good.
    The UFC have made plenty of decisions which could potentially tarnish their brand in recent months. Since the takeover they have been annoying hardcore fans with their made up interim belts and creating a logjam in the 145 and 155 divisions while they let McGregor do whatever the hell he wants to do.

The new owners paid huge money and it seems they are looking to recoup that money fairly sharpish with big mega fights trumping championship fights. The UFC would make many millions if McGregor and Mayweather ever do fight. I can't see why they wouldn't want it to go ahead.

Also I don't really understand your last line. Why would he be out of the UFC for good if he took this fight?

• Advertisement

Floyd via KO-TKO
    Morrison J wrote: »

I have said this too. And not even the cream of Irish amateurs. When are folks going to realise that Conor is not competing in boxing. He may have some fundamentals, but you could say that about any capable man training in boxing. I have several lads in my own club that are not near a high standard, but would be more than capable against Conor in boxing.

Conor's only hope is a Hail Mary KO. Other than this he hasn't an ounce of talent that would be needed to be competitive.

Floyd via KO-TKO

Floyd is a great defensive fighter but he hasnt hurt anybody with a single punch in years he'd try jab his way to victory but McGregor's left hand is one of the the best shots in combat sports history if he went the boxing route he'd be world champion now easily.

Utter nonsense. I could say the same about 1000s of men on the street who can throw a KO shot...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Floyd via DQ
    McGregor's left hand is one of the the best shots in combat sports history if he went the boxing route he'd be world champion now easily.

I didn't actually believe there were people out there who really thought this :eek:

Floyd via KO-TKO
    Floyd is 40 wont have fought in 2 years hasnt trained in the mean time hes an old man now reflexes slowing time waits for no man.

Floyd via KO-TKO
    Floyd is 40 wont have fought in 2 years hasnt trained in the mean time hes an old man now reflexes slowing time waits for no man.

But what's that got to do with do with Conor's glaring deficiencies?

Should I seek a Mayweather fight too? Maybe some other ex boxers here could give it a crack...

FTA, how about you?

Floyd via KO-TKO
    Yeah you're not a professional athlete, McGregor has every chance of ko'ing Floyd look at Roy Jones plenty of mma fighters would beat him once they get old a prime pro mma athlete would work them, same happens here McGregor would land for sure and it be over if he lands early, Floyd is also much smaller.

Floyd via KO-TKO
    Yeah you're not a professional athlete, McGregor has every chance of ko'ing Floyd look at Roy Jones plenty of mma fighters would beat him once they get old a prime pro mma athlete would work them, same happens here McGregor would land for sure and it be over if he lands early, Floyd is also much smaller.

He's a pro MMA athlete. I would give him .01 percent chance, about the same as I'd give myself.

BTW, Floyd is not much smaller. Height they are about the same, and there would be a weight to be made, not that it would make a blind bit of difference to Floyd.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

I highly doubt the fight will happen. Mayweather has his money made from boxing and stands to gain nothing professionally by fighting McGregor. McGregor wants the fight as he knows it would earn him a nice fortune. I think Mayweather is just teasing the fans by suggesting the fight is possible.

If it did happen Mayweather would destroy McGregor. One of the best boxers of all time versus an MMA fighter who can strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭The real mccoy 91

Floyd via DQ
    Gamebred wrote:

Oh wow I would love to hear the reasoning why mcgregor would be a world champion around his weight class he would have to beat canelo or ggg and if you don't think Floyd is a big puncher these guys most certainly are. One of the stupidest statements I've heard

• Advertisement

Floyd via KO-TKO
    Oh wow I would love to hear the reasoning why mcgregor would be a world champion around his weight class he would have to beat canelo or ggg and if you don't think Floyd is a big puncher these guys most certainly are. One of the stupidest statements I've heard

Yeah easily if he had of went boxing with his work ethic and fundamentals he'd of been a success,

Pro boxing is littered with human punch bags Canelo and GGG look at their records 90&% of their wins and stoppages are roofers and part time security men.

Advertisement