Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fight Time From 4am-McGregor vs Mayweather**MOD Warning in 1st Post**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,314 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Floyd via DQ
    Gamebred wrote: »
    The problem with that video is hes still sparring in mma mode changes stances ect in preparation for a bout with a south paw 6ft fighter in mma with a long reach and height on him, different story fighting a smaller fighter with zero power and less reach, give him a year with or so nothing but boxing and he give Floyd the old boy a hell of a fight, the 3 minute rounds will suit him much better as he can be explosive then rest and go again instead of 5 minute rounds in mma.

You are living in a parallel universe if you believe any of that.

Floyd at 80 still hammers the Conor of now. Floyd is still in peak condition, doesnt drink or do drugs, has taken very little damage and has more experience at pacing his body, hence gong for 12 rounds and never slowing down.

Conor would need and extra lung and 2 more arms to give floyd any sort of trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Gintonious wrote: »
    You are aware that all of the fighters that Mayweather has beaten (all 49 of them) would maul McGregor as well, right?

Whatever about the other 46 (there were 47 in total) I'm not so sure about Diego corrales!

Floyd via DQ
    qwabercd wrote: »
    Whatever about the other 46 (there were 47 in total) I'm not so sure about Diego corrales!

Touche. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,410 ✭✭✭XsApollo

The problem with that video is hes still sparring in mma mode changes stances ect in preparation for a bout with a south paw 6ft fighter in mma with a long reach and height on him, different story fighting a smaller fighter with zero power and less reach, give him a year with or so nothing but boxing and he give Floyd the old boy a hell of a fight, the 3 minute rounds will suit him much better as he can be explosive then rest and go again instead of 5 minute rounds in mma.

Are you serious?
    You think Conor would give Floyd a hell of a fight?
    Is this a joke....

I don't even think Conor would land one punch of any significance on Floyd, wether it be now or in a year.

Anybody that has any genuine interest in combat sports and watches them should know that Conor McGregor isn't anywhere near Capable of beating Floyd in a boxing match ,he's not even on the same planet.

I've nothing against Conor and fair play to him, it's all about the money and I'd do the same myself, but it's amazing that he might actually convince everybody and talk his way into this :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

XsApollo wrote: »
    Are you serious?
    You think Conor would give Floyd a hell of a fight?
    Is this a joke....

I don't even think Conor would land one punch of any significance on Floyd, wether it be now or in a year.

Anybody that has any genuine interest in combat sports and watches them should know that Conor McGregor isn't anywhere near Capable of beating Floyd in a boxing match ,he's not even on the same planet.

I've nothing against Conor and fair play to him, it's all about the money and I'd do the same myself, but it's amazing that he might actually convince everybody and talk his way into this :-D

Why oh why do you persist in engaging a bloke who is seeking to wind people up?

He's like a plant who rings a phone show expressing an outrageous opinion only to have caller after caller ring in to take him down a peg.

He knows he's wrong he's just enjoying the wind up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Floyd via DQ
    Many of the MMA lads are completely tunnel visioned in their love for McGregor so I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if he's serious, but please god I hope he's trolling.

There was many of the MMA lads on here who believed there was zero argument for Frampton winning RTE sportsperson of the year too. Frampton was just named the Ring Magazine fighter of the year...first ever Irish fighter to win it and has only been won by 5 Europeans since it started in 1928. Incredible achievement.

No argument for him to win the mickey mouse RTE award though apparently..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Floyd via KO-TKO
    Morrison J wrote: »
    Many of the MMA lads are completely tunnel visioned in their love for McGregor so I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if he's serious, but please god I hope he's trolling.

There was many of the MMA lads on here who believed there was zero argument for Frampton winning RTE sportsperson of the year too. Frampton was just named the Ring Magazine fighter of the year...first ever Irish fighter to win it and has only been won by 5 Europeans since it started in 1928. Incredible achievement.

No argument for him to win the mickey mouse RTE award though apparently..

He is not a citizen of our state has no right to be even nominated simple as that, pays his taxes to the queen and her family of take out merchants,

I can see why people are protecting ''their'' sport here, god forbid McGregor landed a jab on your golden boy, it would kill ye, Floyds off living on burgers on holidays around the world while McGregor is a full time athlete one left hand is all is needed and Floyd is waking up 49-1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

He is not a citizen of our state has no right to be even nominated simple as that, pays his taxes to the queen and her family of take out merchants,

I can see why people are protecting ''their'' sport here, god forbid McGregor landed a jab on your golden boy, it would kill ye, Floyds off living on burgers on holidays around the world while McGregor is a full time athlete one left hand is all is needed and Floyd is waking up 49-1.

Good man

• Registered Users Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Floyd via DQ

When was the last time he hurt anybody with a punch? Dont remember him even dropping Canelo Pac Berto once? fighting bums like the ghost Guerrero not a hope in hell he would stop McGregor.

I'm sure Mayweather has more punching power than McGregor when it come to boxing. If he had beeen fighting the likes of McGregor rather than world class boxers for all his career I'd imagine his KO ratio would be close to 100%.

Floyd via KO-TKO
    I'm sure Mayweather has more punching power than McGregor when it come to boxing. If he had beeen fighting the likes of McGregor rather than world class boxers for all his career I'd imagine his KO ratio would be close to 100%.

Any legit boxing fan knows his hands are like brittle they break every fight cant ko anybody.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Floyd via DQ
    He is not a citizen of our state has no right to be even nominated simple as that, pays his taxes to the queen and her family of take out merchants.

Actually, he has every right to be nominated, being from the island of Ireland. Same for previous winners such as Michael Conlan, Rory McIlroy, AP McCoy etc.

Can't help being better at sport up here in Ulster!

Floyd via DQ

I got a good chuckle out of this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,025 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Floyd via KO-TKO
    Conor pays most of his tax in Las Vegas.. that's a lot farther away than the North of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Floyd via DQ
    Any legit boxing fan knows his hands are like brittle they break every fight cant ko anybody.

He'd KO McGregor in a boxing match.

Floyd via KO-TKO
    Time will tell, you're entitled to your opinion same as I am.

Floyd via KO-TKO
    Time won't tell because the boxing match won't happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Floyd via DQ

Floyd isn't anyone's golden boy, in fact he's despised by a lot of hardcore Boxing fans. But real recognise real, Floyd is damn f*cking brilliant. It'd be great if Floyd lost, just won't be happening against a club level boxer like Conor. There isn't a speck of evidence to suggest Conor has even a punchers chance against Floyd.

Still waiting on how Conor lands his left hand on Floyd btw.

Floyd via KO-TKO
    Burial. wrote: »
    Floyd isn't anyone's golden boy, in fact he's despised by a lot of hardcore Boxing fans. But real recognise real, Floyd is damn f*cking brilliant. It'd be great if Floyd lost, just won't be happening against a club level boxer like Conor. There isn't a speck of evidence to suggest Conor has even a punchers chance against Floyd.

Still waiting on how Conor lands his left hand on Floyd btw.

The same way he lands it on all the other people he fights, with quick counter punching, and dont tell me it wont happen because floyd is a counter puncher himself,

Club fighter my arse will you go to bed.

Floyd via DQ
    The same way he lands it on all the other people he fights, with quick counter punching, and dont tell me it wont happen because floyd is a counter puncher himself,

This is really a good one. Comparing Conors counter punches to Mayweathers is like comparing a bicycle to the Saturn 5 rocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Floyd via DQ

Oh yeah because guys like T-Rex Chad Mendes, who dropped his hands like an idiot and Denis Siver a slow and fat roid head and Eddie Alvarez are comparable to a Boxing genius like Floyd. Good one kid. Conor isn't fast by Boxing standards. He looked sluggish in any footage I've seen him against actual boxers not roid pumped up wrestlers.

Yes club level boxer. Show me proof of anything other than that? You've shown no proof of any of McGregor's boxing credentials expect this supposed great left hand, a tool already exposed by a journeyman boxer in sparring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,084 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Floyd via DQ
    Why would you bother engaging with him?

Even if he wasn't on the wind up, once somebody takes an entrenched position (no matter how ridiculous) that's generally it. Not like his mind is going to be changed and things that are so plainly obvious (like Mayweather toying with McGregor in a boxing match) do not even require engagement.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Floyd via KO-TKO
    Mayweather losing this will be the final nail in boxings coffin, I sense some of the posts above know this and hope it doesn't happen for that reason alone,

Too much money on the line for this not to happen Floyd isn't as rich as he makes out he spends it like theres a hole in his pocket, it could well look like Wlad v Fury an old man with a failing body against a younger more agile fighter, dont deny Floyd could out point him but it will not be a walk over and if theres a ko its Floyd going asleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭poeticjustice

Mayweather losing this will be the final nail in boxings coffin, I sense some of the posts above know this and hope it doesn't happen for that reason alone,

Too much money on the line for this not to happen Floyd isn't as rich as he makes out he spends it like theres a hole in his pocket, it could well look like Wlad v Fury an old man with a failing body against a younger more agile fighter, dont deny Floyd could out point him but it will not be a walk over and if theres a ko its Floyd going asleep.

Point made. Thanks for your opinion. Let's leave it there shall we?

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

I think that there will be no fight, as Mayweather will insist on a certain pay day that will deny Conor McGregor what he wants. What I predict happening instead is that Nate Diaz will get a fight or 2 under his belt as Mayweather promoting him and then look for a fight with Conor, which would be very interesting indeed.

Floyd via KO-TKO
    Floyd is as rich as he makes out. He's probably earned in excess of 500 million dollars (most being hard cash) in ring earnings. Even his profligate spending habits won't kill that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Floyd via DQ
    walshb wrote: »
    Floyd is as rich as he makes out. He's probably earned in excess of 500 million dollars (most being hard cash) in ring earnings. Even his profligate spending habits won't kill that.

I'd say at least that Walsh. And then sponsorship etc

Floyd via KO-TKO
    Them 2 private jets super cars in at least 3 cities gambling and shoppings spree's property purchases, on top of tax must'nt cost much according to you 2 boys.

Floyd via KO-TKO
    I'd say at least that Walsh. And then sponsorship etc

Forbes estimate 700 million dollars from ring earnings. Very small percentage of Floyd's earnings are from sponsorship. He's the polar opposite of the likes of Tiger and MJ. They earned the bulk of their wealth from sponsorship.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭megadodge

Floyd via DQ

This is exactly why the fight won't happen - but not exactly the way you see it. It would be a PR disaster for UFC to watch their superstar get embarrassed, which is exactly what would happen.

People with a lot of experience watching combat sports over decades can spot IMMEDIATELY how poor the striking is in MMA in general. That's why Conor looks like a half-decent striker, the bar is ankle high!

If the fight happened and Conor gets whupped, it would really dent the image of UFC fighters being some sort of all-round competitors and potentially show them up as jack-of-all-trades.

And I have nothing whatsoever against MMA. I respect anybody who makes a living fighting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭selectamatic

megadodge wrote: »

People with a lot of experience watching combat sports over decades can spot IMMEDIATELY how poor the striking is in MMA in general. That's why Conor looks like a half-decent striker, the bar is ankle high!

Substitute the word "striking" with the word "boxing" and you have the nail on the head.

Too many variables in mma to apply just boxing fundamentals. Hence no athlete in the sport does.

The only spectacle (it'd still be a freakshow) i would truly enjoy seeing would be a bout under kickboxing rules. It'd show what sport is more effective in terms of striking as a whole. But it's something that'll never happen.

Advertisement