Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fight Time From 4am-McGregor vs Mayweather**MOD Warning in 1st Post**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,027 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Floyd via KO-TKO
    Conor isn't any man off the street tho, he's a world champion athlete in another combat sport

And? Plenty healthy men off the street can throw a potential KO shot. That's Conor's only hope against an elite boxer, as it would be the capable man off the street's only hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

walshb wrote: »
    120-108 would be a clear "victory" for Conor. Floyd in 3-4 rds max if all's above board. Either by KO-TKO or corner stoppage..

Yeah a decision win for Floyd is a win for everyone involved. That's why I see it happening.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭Positively Negative

Love this "if all is above board" craic Walsh. So if Conor wins somehow, you have the excuse already before the fights even made.

Floyd via KO-TKO
    Love this "if all is above board" craic Walsh. So if Conor wins somehow, you have the excuse already before the fights even made.

It's so daft that I liken it to WWF, hence the all above board comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

Could we expect a wee bit of acting in the ring if that is the case?

• Advertisement

walshb wrote:
    It's so daft that I liken it to WWF, hence the all above board comment.

Boxing is like WWF? You think the greatest boxer of our generation (debatable) would fix a fight? If that's the case, what's to say lots of his fights weren't fixed?

eddie73 wrote:
    Could we expect a wee bit of acting in the ring if that is the case?

Ya I can see Floyd getting the steel chair out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

In order to see how good Conor is why doesn't he take on the top irish contender in a charity match to see if Conor is up to it. Or is t too beneath him.

Floyd via KO-TKO
    Boxing is like WWF? You think the greatest boxer of our generation (debatable) would fix a fight? If that's the case, what's to say lots of his fights weren't fixed?

You're a messer!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Floyd via KO-TKO
    Yeah swap a 100m payday for a charity fight? what planet do you live on seriously.

• Advertisement

Gamebred wrote: »
    Yeah swap a 100m payday for a charity fight? what planet do you live on seriously.

Nowhere in my post did I mention swap. I said do a chariy match to see how Conor preformes in a boxing match.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Floyd via KO-TKO
    jonon9 wrote: »
    Nowhere in my post did I mention swap. I said do a chariy match to see how Conor preformes in a boxing match.

Yep biggest drawing mma fighter is going to fight for free in his prime to prove to you he can box, incredible.

Gamebred wrote: »
    Yep biggest drawing mma fighter is going to fight for free in his prime to prove to you he can box, incredible.

You seem very sure of yourself. And he wouldn't be proving to me but to the boxing world and to floyd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Mayweather best defensive fighter in the business
    Heavy jabbing would see Mc Gregor burn himself out in his effort to knock him out .

On the flip side I think Mc Gregor has a tougher jaw and has taken more of pounding (with harder gloves )than Mayweather .

Would be worth watching for the spectacle .

walshb wrote:
    You're a messer!

You're a troll with absolutely no interest in debate. Wild accusations to make against the GOAT of your sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

FFS

I come into this thread for an oul browse & I see the names: McGregor, Duffy, Pacman, Mayweather & even Lomachenko bandied about. There is obviously a serious drug problem among some of the folks contributing here.

boxer.fan wrote:
    I come into this thread for an oul browse & I see the names: McGregor, Duffy, Pacman, Mayweather & even Lomachenko bandied about. There is obviously a serious drug problem among some of the folks contributing here.

All relevant to the discussion on and MMA fighter fighting in pro boxing. Your contribution to this thread is certainly a valuable one. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,154 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Draw
    eddie73 wrote: »
    walshb wrote: »
    I would have thought minimum 100 to 1 on..
    Bookies will create as much of an advantage for themselves as they can get away with. But the big reason is the Leisceter city disaster last year. They will never get caught giving out monster odds ever again.

That makes no sense tbh.
    25 to 1 ON is 1/25, i.e. 4 times a bigger price than what he "should" be. And that the worst price, which isn't really relevant. The best price is 10 to 1 ON, i.e. 1/10. That's a 10 times inflation.

Given the supposed chances for Mayweather, these are monster odds from the bookies. But I wonder how many will have money where their mouth is?

Mellor wrote: »
    That makes no sense tbh.
    25 to 1 ON is 1/25, i.e. 4 times a bigger price than what he "should" be. And that the worst price, which isn't really relevant. The best price is 10 to 1 ON, i.e. 1/10. That's a 10 times inflation.

Given the supposed chances for Mayweather, these are monster odds from the bookies. But I wonder how many will have money where their mouth is?

Its meant in relative terms. Leisceter city were 5,000/1 against in a 20 horse race. Conor McGregor is flickering between 6 and 7/1 against which is a big price in a 2 horse race. The point is that if the bookies were to be more generous in their odds, they would be putting their noses on the block because of the sentimental money that is going to pour on Mcgregor. They have obviously factored in McGregor's only hope being a knock out punch. As unlikely as it is, they wont be any more generous in their odds.

The reality is that he should be at least 25 if not 33/1 against rather than 6 or 7 when you factor in the caliber of his opponent and the fact he is fighting out of the octagon too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Floyd via DQ
    If you gave me 100/1 on McGregor I'd still have zero interest in backing him.

• Advertisement

Draw
    Its meant in relative terms. Leisceter city were 5,000/1 against in a 20 horse race. Conor McGregor is flickering between 6 and 7/1 against which is a big price in a 2 horse race. The point is that if the bookies were to be more generous in their odds, they would be putting their noses on the block because of the sentimental money that is going to pour on Mcgregor. They have obviously factored in McGregor's only hope being a knock out punch. As unlikely as it is, they wont be any more generous in their odds.

The reality is that he should be at least 25 if not 33/1 against rather than 6 or 7 when you factor in the caliber of his opponent and the fact he is fighting out of the octagon too.
    We were talking about Mayweather's odds not McGregors. So the above makes no sense at all when applied to other side of the market.

It's a two horse race as you said, which means the odds follow a predictable pattern in other to arrive at a given overround. The bookies are obviously protecting against sentimental money on McGregor by shortening him from 50/1 to 10/1 or less. But this a knock on effect to this shortening. Mayweather's odds increase by the same factor they've reduced Conors.

Morrison J wrote:
    If you gave me 100/1 on McGregor I'd still have zero interest in backing him.

What odds would you want on Mayweather?
    Open question to the entire thread actually.

Draw
    I am not rooting through thousands of posts on a 2 year old thread to find the experts who didn't give him a chance.

My original statement was that the "experts" called me deluded, not everyone.

You don't have to root through thousands of posts. You can check your post history with two clicks.
    I just checked yours there and you don't have any posts on the MMA forum. So that confirms it, you're making it all up. What a weird thing to lie about.
    http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?user=831585&sort=newest

Mellor wrote:
    What odds would you want on Mayweather? Open question to the entire thread actually.

In a fight where 1 accurate or lucky punch could end it, I would say 1/10 or less.

These odds will shrink rapid when me and McGregors army lump on, as a previous post said.

Draw
    pac_man wrote: »
    I do find the odds rather short for Mayweather but thought it was a case of bookies balancing their books. I'm no odds compiler though. Would you normally back someone at 1/10?

The balancing the books thing is misrepresented a lot.
    Sure, the markets react to bets placed, and prices get shorter or longer. Which can create value on one side when "the money" is wrong. But that's mostly price correcting rather than and attempt to balance.
    They understand how value works and won't offer massively positive (for the punter) bets, instead they just lay the liability off on the exchanges.

In this case there was no balancing or line moving. The betting lines aren't open too long, and that's pretty much where the opened at in Vegas first.

I'd happily back a 1/10 shot if I thought there was value in it. Bets are made every day at much smaller odd. For reference, the bet has a positive expected value if Mayweather has a 91% or better chance of winning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Floyd via DQ
    Joe Duffy would beat McGregor in a boxing match, never mind an actual full time professional ranked boxer.

Mellor wrote: »
    We were talking about Mayweather's odds not McGregors. So the above makes no sense at all when applied to other side of the market.

It's a two horse race as you said, which means the odds follow a predictable pattern in other to arrive at a given overround. The bookies are obviously protecting against sentimental money on McGregor by shortening him from 50/1 to 10/1 or less. But this a knock on effect to this shortening. Mayweather's odds increase by the same factor they've reduced Conors.

What odds would you want on Mayweather?
    Open question to the entire thread actually.

The bookies have a bad rep for not over rounding the books correctly.. in their favor. Which basically means as the emotional money pours on McGregor from his support, Mayweather will not ease out as much he technically should.

Ante post gambling is a mugs game. I would prefer to wait for the night of the fight, if I were going to back at all. And I wouldnt back Mayweather to win either. I would be looking for a novelty bet seeing as this is a novelty fight. One or other fighter to get disqualified deliberately - to avoid losing or to set up a rematch might be the best bet you could get.

Draw
    The bookies have a bad rep for not over rounding the books correctly.. in their favor. Which basically means as the emotional money pours on McGregor from his support, Mayweather will not ease out as much he technically should.
    What they sometimes do it irrelevant. We are talking about the odds that are available now. Mayweater is available at 1/10 in more than one location.
    Conor is available at 11/1. The two of those make a 100% book, the overround is basically the draw price.

Ante post gambling is a mugs game. I would prefer to wait for the night of the fight, if I were going to back at all. And I wouldnt back Mayweather to win either. I would be looking for a novelty bet seeing as this is a novelty fight. One or other fighter to get disqualified deliberately - to avoid losing or to set up a rematch might be the best bet you could get.
    Ante post can create loads of value as the prices changes.
    This isn't ante post really as bet is void for a non runner.

Novelty bets are the definition of mug bets imo.
    An intentional DQ doesn't avoid losing.

No way, a novelty bet in this instance offers the best value IMO. It's too chancy backing either fighter as it is hard to take it seriously. It would be the same as backing a WWF fight.

eddie73 wrote:
    No way, a novelty bet in this instance offers the best value IMO. It's too chancy backing either fighter as it is hard to take it seriously. It would be the same as backing a WWF fight.

I backed Brock Lesnar to beat the Undertaker a few years ago, 40/1 winner. If that's not value...

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,543 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If this wasn't such a novelty fight Mayweather would be absolutely slated for fighting such a weak opponent.

McGregor will lose, and lose badly. It is a certainty. If Mayweather wants to hit the 50-0 he should fight someone who wil be able to give him a bit of a match.

Advertisement