Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oneplus 3 Owners

Options
  • 14-07-2016 11:28am
    Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I bought the phone during launch, and am very happy with it. I was an avid reader of the current Oneplus 3 thread, but it's turned more into discussions about DHL and parcel motel, and less about the handset. I thought it might be useful to have a separate thread for those who have and use it, or perhaps have questions before buying.

Reviews
      [*]Trustedreviews.com (Trusted's in the name, must be legit!)
      [*]Techradar.com
      [*]

Specifications
      GSMArena

Will it work with...
      391716.PNG

[GUIDE] OnePlus 3: How to Unlock Bootloader, Flash TWRP, Root, Nandroid & EFS Backup and More ! from

Where to buy
      Oneplus silly

More info on xda-developers

Pros
      • Great Build Qualty
      • Snapdragon 820 Processor
      • 6 Gb of Ram
      • Dash Charge - 60% charge in 30 minutes
      • Sleek looking phone
      • Very fast performance
      • Good Camera
      • More band coverage with this handset than with Oneplus One or 2. Better for 4G in Ireland

Cons
      • Battery only 3000 mah
      • Sleek phone = slippery! I'd recommend a case, or a pillow to lay it on
      • No expandable storage
      • Dash charge not compatible with Quick Charge
      • "Only" 1080p. Someone explained to me that the problem is mostly with VR. Looks fine to me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭SickBoy

There's no option to increase / decrease the DPI without rooting so install a launcher like Trebuchet or Nova as the standard layout is pants in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Haven't been overly impressed with the battery on my OP3, only received it a few days ago. 12pm now, unplugged the phone since 7.30am, light use and already i'm down to 80%.

I've just enabled battery optimization on all apps so I'll see if that makes any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,494 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Anybody have this on Meteor? Are you able to get 4G? I have a 4G SIM and a 4G plan, but have only seen 3G/H in the status bar, even in central Dublin. Preferred Network type is set to "LTE (Recommended)"

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

I'm on eir (same network) and LTE is showing in Cork City without issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,158 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

"Will it work with" is outdated for Virgin Mobile who now have 4G LTE on both band 20 and 3.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 33,736 ✭✭✭✭listermint

davo2001 wrote: »
      Haven't been overly impressed with the battery on my OP3, only received it a few days ago. 12pm now, unplugged the phone since 7.30am, light use and already i'm down to 80%.

I've just enabled battery optimization on all apps so I'll see if that makes any difference.

I am the same value, and i would have about 50% left at around 6:30 this evening. For me thats what i would expect.

28064212 wrote: »
      Anybody have this on Meteor? Are you able to get 4G? I have a 4G SIM and a 4G plan, but have only seen 3G/H in the status bar, even in central Dublin. Preferred Network type is set to "LTE (Recommended)"

No issues at all with LTE on meteor, the phone seems to crave it.

You know LTE can disappear if its overloaded (ala city centre / time of day) and you would push down to 3G/HDSPA

listermint wrote: »
      No issues at all with LTE on meteor, the phone seems to crave it.

You know LTE can disappear if its overloaded (ala city centre / time of day) and you would push down to 3G/HDSPA
      Definitely not that, I haven't seen LTE at all since I got the phone (2 weeks). Will have to check with Meteor so. My previous phone (which I got from them) didn't have LTE, so I wonder if they have to enable something on their end

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Definitely not that, I haven't seen LTE at all since I got the phone (2 weeks). Will have to check with Meteor so. My previous phone (which I got from them) didn't have LTE, so I wonder if they have to enable something on their end

You might just need to verify the APN settings on the phone with meteor, also check that you have LTE set to recommended Settings -> Mobile Network -> Preferred Network Type.

You dont just get LTE activated unfortunately they will have to enable it on their end. May have to change SIM too. but may not.

Call into a store its handier.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I like my OP3, it's nothing groundbreaking, but coming from OPO, it's certainly got some plus points over the original "Flagship Killer" :D

Never thought I'd have any use for a notification slider, but it's really handy heading to meetings in work, just pop the slider on silent.
      Phone is quick. Snappy movement around apps, the thing hasn't skipped a beat yet. And I'm still on Oxegyn(?) 3.1.2 so subject to the stricter RAM managent, but I will upgrage to 3.2.1 at the weekend.
      Dual SIM is a plesant addition that works smoothly with no worries about missing calls or texts in either card as both are live at once.
      Fingerprint scanner is a great plus. I thought it'd be slower to access the phone than before, but it's even quicker than a swipe lock. Friend has a Z5 premium and OP3 is noticably quicker at opening the phone.

Can't think of anything else of the top of my head.

It's slippy as all hell though with that smooth metal back, I need to get myself a cover before it ends up smashed on the ground :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭SoftMicro

I'm on Vodafone and only get H beside signal bar. I haven't seen the LTE so I'm guessing I'm not getting 4G. I used to get it now and again with OPO when with 3 network.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

SoftMicro wrote: »
      I'm on Vodafone and only get H beside signal bar. I haven't seen the LTE so I'm guessing I'm not getting 4G. I used to get it now and again with OPO when with 3 network.

Is your vodafone account eligible for 4G?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭SoftMicro

ED E wrote: »
      Is your vodafone account eligible for 4G?

DOH! Just checked and not until 27th July. Completely forgot it's not on this account.

sugarman wrote: »
      My Orzly shockproof case finally arrived today.

Have to say, fantastic cover. Very well made, not cheap at all. Fits perfectly. Very secure, very grippy. Still keeps the phone slim. Couldnt recommend it any higher!

Was waiting for the spigen one to come out as I like their clean design.

But they are still slow on the uptake

You dont just get LTE activated unfortunately they will have to enable it on their end. May have to change SIM too. but may not.

Call into a store its handier.
      Called into a store, apparently I have a 4G sim, 4G plan and a 4G account. Still not working :( Will have to see if I get a known good 4G SIM off someone to test

Called into a store, apparently I have a 4G sim, 4G plan and a 4G account. Still not working :( Will have to see if I get a known good 4G SIM off someone to test

See this screen. Make sure lte is selected

See this screen. Make sure lte is selected
      Yeah it is, APN settings are correct too. Actually, if I try to manually select a network operator, "IRL - METEOR 4G" is one of the options, so 4G is obviously switched on and being received. If I select it, it says registered on network, but still no LTE, and an exclamation mark notification appears for a second (don't know what it says). Seems pretty clear it's a network issue

Can anyone tell me how to set profiles on the phone, what i can is for when i get a call or text etc that the phone vibrates but no sound. Cant see the options like on the OPO.

The slider options just put alot or all things on silent but not vibrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭breeno

Can anyone tell me how to set profiles on the phone, what i can is for when i get a call or text etc that the phone vibrates but no sound. Cant see the options like on the OPO.

The slider options just put alot or all things on silent but not vibrate.
      Easiest way would be to stay in normal mode and just turn the volume all the way down. You might have to drag the slider across the last step to vibrate only.

Hope that makes sense.

• Advertisement

breeno wrote: »
      Easiest way would be to stay in normal mode and just turn the volume all the way down. You might have to drag the slider across the last step to vibrate only.

Hope that makes sense.

Yeah, thanks, i get that your saying, would be nice if the slider just had a all/vibate/silent mode.

Anyone else got minor imperfections on the chrome band around the camera? Noticed them out of the box and am assuming it's just it being cheap plastic.

My otterbox arrived just there. Feels like any other otterbox in the hand but there's no hard plastic over any of the corners, just a thicker part of the plastic skin that goes inside the hard shell. Doesn't really offer any serious fall protection like you'd expect. Fits nicely though and the cut outs on the back make it a bit grippier than the normal commuter ones you buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

They didn't have the cases in stock at one plus, so I've only got the bog standard one
      Cracking phone, but am waiting for my nano sim - really should have ordered it sooner.
      So, what accessories should I get? Second dash charger?
      I presume I need a couple of micro-usb - usb-c adaptors.
      Where did you get the orlzy case from?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭sioda

Yeah, thanks, i get that your saying, would be nice if the slider just had a all/vibate/silent mode.
      I have a on screen widget which cycles through them very handy

sioda wrote: »
      I have a on screen widget which cycles through them very handy

What widget if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭sioda

Silent mode toggle

tagoona wrote: »
      They didn't have the cases in stock at one plus, so I've only got the bog standard one
      Cracking phone, but am waiting for my nano sim - really should have ordered it sooner.
      So, what accessories should I get? Second dash charger?
      I presume I need a couple of micro-usb - usb-c adaptors.
      Where did you get the orlzy case from?

can change your SIM in the store, right there and then. Alot quicker.

Anyone else's DASH Charger "Upside down"?

http://imgur.com/MeTZI5j

Now that you mention it...

IMG_20160715_163219_zpsabmqzk1c.jpg

• Advertisement

It's a small thing but bugs the crap outa me :-P

Advertisement