Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Storm Henry - February 1st, 2016

• 29-01-2016 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭

Mods move if you wish, Gérard Fleming just now on the 6 News said we are in for another stormy period on Sunday and most of Monday, any of our weather gurus here have any more info

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

No weather guru but heres my tuppence worth :).

Similar Orange warnings for the Northern half of the country and yellow warnings for other counties probable. The Storm is well offshore to the NW but massive and powerfull wind and a huge windfield. This wind event looks more prolonged beginning early Monday morning 01.00 - 02.00 approx in the W and NW and continuing till late Monday night in the NW and N and slowly clearing those coasts into Tues am. Similar wind speeds perhaps from a similar track to Gertrude on this Island and Scotland looks to get a right battering again. Doesent look like a lot of rain at this stage on Monday. Temperatures starting off mild after Sun will decrease throughout the day and no doubt feel very cold in the wind.Those Shetland Webcams will come in handy again. Just my opinion, open to others :)

PvunA2f.gif?1

h0Ws2Ad.png

XNjooFO.png

• Registered Users Posts: 48,124 ✭✭✭✭km79

I don't mind a good storm with little rain
    I liked Gertrude
    She was a good girl

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Chart of the developing storm on Sunday evening after the front goes through

rJGDiyx.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Has the storm been named yet?
    I think it also needs orange status to be named. Don't be naming them premature, the other day in the weather the presenter said America's storm Jonas would probably become a named storm here, but it didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Has the storm been named yet?
    I think it also needs orange status to be named. Don't be naming them premature, the other day in the weather the presenter said America's storm Jonas would probably become a named storm here, but it didn't.

Has not been named yet.prob would be tomorrow before it would be named if it is at all.

• Advertisement

Why is Storm Henry in the OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Storm Henry arrives on Monday
    Then, into next week we have another deep low arriving onto the scene for Monday, and it's expected to take a very similar track to Gertrude, very close to the north of Scotland.

Netweather

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Good question! Sounds like a pop star!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

It would be the next storm after Gertrude, needing to be starting with "H", but naming is premature at this point.

goz83 wrote: »
    It would be the next storm after Gertrude, needing to be starting with "H", but naming is premature at this point.

I understand that the next named storm will be Henry (then Imogene I think), but as it hasn't been named officially I was wondering.

Netweather seem certain it will be named.
    So this looks to be another overnight event?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

The storm was named this morning by the UKMO.

To me it looks more powerfull then Gertrude judging by this run at this stage with possibly higher winds on the coasts of coastal counties in the W /NW / N. Winds look to be penetrating more inland with this storm.Looks like plenty of gusts over 100 kph and possibly getting up to 130+ kph om coasts. Massive sea swell.

VpykyGS.png

DOCARCH wrote: »

And not even a statement by Met Eireann?
    That's fairly poor.

Gfs not as strong on the 06z will be interesting to see the next run

zVPVytQ.gif

WRF showing further strong winds in the North early Tues morning

tT2amSV.png

Latest NOAA showing a central low pressure of 955 hPA ( Looks much further to the NW in this run )

xPAkYe9.gif?1

• Registered Users Posts: 10,017 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Met Eireann STATUS YELLOW

Weather Advisory for Ireland
    A deep Atlantic depression, which has been named Storm Henry, will track eastwards to the north of Scotland on Monday evening and night. It will generate very strong winds over Ireland, especially in coastal counties of Connacht and Ulster. More detailed wind forecasts to follow on Sunday and Monday.

Issued:Saturday 30 January 2016 16:00
    Valid:Monday 01 February 2016 09:01 to Tuesday 02 February 2016 09:00

XpzZtSC.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

snow for dublin?

snow for dublin?

Am no....
    No snow for anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

how depressing :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

snow for dublin?

Yes, but you'll have to pay by the gram:cool:

Generally (or all the time) with Atlantic weather fronts (and storms) they bring mild temps, so snow is a big not gonna happen.

Latest NOAA chart showing wind speeds out to sea at 65 Kts, hurrricane force winds, shipping would want to give that a wide berth.

i87SC5j.gif?1

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Padster90s

I know it is early days for an accurate forecast but what do the broadsie experts think? Naming it this early and saying extremely windy isn't MEs usual style. Gives the impression to expect more than the usual 110km/h inland and 120km/h coastal winds. I know the name came more from the UK but it still seems early days for names and advisories.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭kingshankly

DOCARCH wrote: »

Have the Storm names not been out this six months?
    Imogen jake and Katie the next three

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Padster90s wrote: »
    I know it is early days for an accurate forecast but what do the broadsie experts think? Naming it this early and saying extremely windy isn't MEs usual style. Gives the impression to expect more than the usual 110km/h inland and 120km/h coastal winds. I know the name came more from the UK but it still seems early days for names and advisories.

It's quite a potent low pressure system with hurricane force winds out to sea, with a rather large wind field,any change in track could potentially bring very severe winds to ireland,therefor they want to bring it to people's attention now,without being alarming,my opinion anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Padster90s wrote: »

Storm is going to hit Scotland strong,met eireann had to follow uk lead,with a bit of luck it will move more north and miss Donegal also

Ah I see, I was more in the thinking they were covering all bases preparing for a nasty one, you know "You can't say we didn't warn you" sort of thing! Hopefully it'll budge well north.
    I don't think I've seen a storm advisory before on its on without a warning on Met.ie. Probably something to do with joint naming. I'd imagine there'll be a yellow alert tomorrow.

Gave the Storm names not been out this six months?
    Imogen hake and Katie the next three

Hake?

What DOCARCH meant was that it was officially named. The names are pre decided, but they then have to decide which low pressure systems make the cut of a name and which don't.

• Advertisement

They names are pre decided, but they then have to decide which low pressure systems make the cut of a name and which don't.

That criteria is an entire other thread!!

Advertisement