Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Henry - February 1st, 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

It was a Turbulent night, so an Orange warning remains in place by Met Eireann, I am not sure I agree with independent sites issuing their own colour coded warnings, of course they are free to do so if they feel a stronger storm will come, but it does add confusion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Latest satellite image of Storm Henry

376494.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Graces7 wrote: »
    Indeed yes. There is a man missing off the coast just down the road from me. They had to abandon the search last night....

Started the search at seven again this morning, wondered why we could hear the helicopter yesterday evening then heard about the boat capsizing hope they find him soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Rescue 115 due to resume the search again this morning, Coastguard team already searching hopefully he will be found safe, conditions with this storm will make the search very difficult

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭shmaupel

Pangea wrote: »
    It was a Turbulent night, so an Orange warning remains in place by Met Eireann, I am not sure I agree with independent sites issuing their own colour coded warnings, of course they are free to do so if they feel a stronger storm will come, but it does add confusion

I agree.

Edited to clarify: I agree that issuing personal colour coded warnings adds to the confusion........
    In creating my own confusion now ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Gusts in the last hour ( Scotland 186 / 171 kph ??? )

ovRAZFS.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Gusting up 42 kts in Galway city in the last hour

Highest gusts along the west coast in the 0800hr reports from Met Eireann:-

Malin Head 59 kts
    Mace Head 56 kts
    Shannon 52 kts

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Gusts in the last hour ( Scotland 186 / 171 kph ??? )

Those high(er) winds/gusts would be to high ground/mountain tops, like Cairngorm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Very gusty here in North Co. Dublin. The clouds at 8:15am had a nice rainbow colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Very gusty here in North Co. Dublin. The clouds at 8:15am had a nice rainbow colour.

Polar stratospheric clouds, lots of reports of them over Dublin this morning, rare event.

• Advertisement

Bad storm here in Donegal so far, very rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Dear Henry! We are NOT DEAF so please STOP SHOUTING! Bright sun now and the very air looks different.. hard to describe but you can see the air the wind is moving.. apart that is from the fact that the reeds at the back are almost horizontal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

Just a nice drying windy day in west Kerry ... Nothing to extreme so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

Some very severe gusts here in Lucan in West Dublin. I'm surprised the wind is so strong already in Dublin. Alarms going off and apparently there's a large tree down by Ballyowen Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

weisses wrote: »
    Just a nice drying windy day in west Kerry ... Nothing to extreme so far

it is fierce up here, South Kerry mountains 400 asl. Would not dare to put washing out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

The very strong winds have dropped off now in Lucan. Just a F4 breeze now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Squally kind of a wind in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Tis windy up here in Derry, nothing exceptional as of yet. Heading to North Coast early afternoon.
    @foylebuoy 2 minutes ago
    Avg Wind:33kts, Gust:57kts, Wind Dir:248 °(W), Gust Dir:244 °(SW), Wave Height:1.7m, Water Temp:8.4 °C at 01/02/2016 11:26:00

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Out walking the dogs this morning in south county Dublin there were very, very strong gusts that had us leaning forwards to avoid being pushed backwards (if you know what I mean).

Now in Sandyford, the gusts are really strong - some quite scary. Hope my lovely ceanothus tree survives

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Out walking and while its very windy, i love this weather, Dry, Sunny, Fresh, and no rain, i'll take this any day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Some strong gusts here on the Mayo coast. Nothing spectacular yet but they certainly pack a punch.
    The back patio door is bending inwards so I expect the windows to start next.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭horsefarm

Looking at met.ie latest report, Dublin airport is up there is the top 4 windiest stations (just saying... Before all the anti Dublin comments begin)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Kicking off proper now in Mayo.
    Huge waves coming in off the atlantic.

Kicking off proper now in Mayo.
    Huge waves coming in off the atlantic.

Can you see the sea from your house?
    I'm about 3 miles from the coast and can only see Clare island from the top of our driveway.

Kicking up a higher notch now Donegal, hail in the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

corsav6 wrote: »
    Can you see the sea from your house?
    I'm about 3 miles from the coast and can only see Clare island from the top of our driveway.

Yeah,I'm under a mile from the sea,huge waves crashing against Clare Island,incredible to see the waves swelling above the horizon line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Really picked up now in Galway very strong wind gusts

Yeah,I'm under a mile from the sea,huge waves crashing against Clare Island,incredible to see the waves swelling above the horizon line.

You have a better view than me then. Feel free to post some vids if you like :)
    It's more consistent here outside Newport now, it could be a rough night if things pick up through the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,813 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Gusting to over 100 km/h on Dublin Bay now, the Port approach looks very dicey for all traffic, churning surf and spray.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭woody1

corsav6 wrote: »
    You have a better view than me then. Feel free to post some vids if you like :)
    It's more consistent here outside Newport now, it could be a rough night if things pick up through the night.

thought the peak of it was supposed to be late afternoon / evening between now and 6 ish .. fairly roaring here north of crossmolina blowing the car on the road as i drove home

Advertisement