Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Henry - February 1st, 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

northgirl wrote: »
    Brigade? Just saying what it's like where I am... :confused:

and there wasnt a whisper ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

northgirl wrote: »
    Feeling very very mild north side Cork City, not a whisper of a breeze..
    Bit of a breeze kicking off now...

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Toxica

Suddenly got very calm in North Cork after being rather gusty all day. Calm before the storm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

Just looking at the GFS 18Z charts and to my naked eye the low looks to have slipped a little south?? Maybe i'm completely wrong..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

nagdefy wrote: »
    Just looking at the GFS 18Z charts and to my naked eye the low looks to have slipped a little south?? Maybe i'm completely wrong..

Yeah, looks like it. Was mentioned earlier, doesn't look good.

• Advertisement

Carnacalla wrote: »

No, it would put a good part of the north of the country in the firing line. Will turn into a nowcast probably..

how far south has it tracked ?

P.lane78 wrote: »
    how far south has it tracked ?

Hard to say but the isobars that were at Malin Head on the 12Z GFS seem to have moved about 30-40 miles south.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Isnt it the natural order of things that everything shifts north at the last minute, seems to be the case most of the time, no doubt it will have gone further north by morning time.

Hard to say but the isobars that were at Malin Head on the 12Z GFS seem to have moved about 30-40 miles south.

Significant enough I presume considering the total length of the island of Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Yea I wouold have thought so too compared to the earlier runs, latest Met Office has the low probably going over the top of Scotland, earlier runs had it more offshore.

Rf7HFGI.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Not too familiar with this APERGE model, but at <24hrs out this is 130km/h+ gusts for Donegal, 140km/h+ in parts of Scotland. Borderline RED warning.

arpegeuk-11-28-0.png?01-00

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

that depends on your perspective. it is unusual,if that's the case, because deep depressions usually adjust further north at the last minute than south.
    the duration of this event, coupled with the already soggy ground, might lead to trees coming down in the north and north west , even if it doesn't end up further south. i'm surprised the radio forecaster wasn't a bit more cautious.

P.lane78 wrote: »
    Significant enough I presume considering the total length of the island of Ireland

Yes. Though as Pangea says maybe it'll head north a little on the next runs. Still you can never be definite. Areas like Cavan, Monaghan, Leitrim, Sligo, Mayo would be in line for something a little more severe if that was a trend. And it's tomorrow eve from 6pm until early Tue morning.

that depends on your perspective. it is unusual,if that's the case, because deep depressions usually adjust further north at the last minute than south.
    the duration of this event, coupled with the already soggy ground, might lead to trees coming down in the north and north west , even if it doesn't end up further south. i'm surprised the radio forecaster wasn't a bit more cautious.

Hopefully so. Very prolonged alright Nacho

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

I would not be surprised if they call a red warning for Donnegal tomorrow

Just a question for the members here. Has a storm the like of Henry veered southerly much ever?

The likes of Darwin in 2014 were hitting Cork and Kerry as a red warning but seemed to move further north as we've seen with other storms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Getting gusty now in Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Getting gusty now in Mayo.

It's been continually gusty since lunchtime :)

Xenji wrote: »
    It's been continually gusty since lunchtime :)

Same all the way down here in Clare.

On a related matter, I doubt a Red for Donegal will be called, I don't think I have ever seen any colour warning just for one county. I'd imagine its either upgrade a few counties in the northwest or none. 130km/h is within Orange Criteria BTW, its only when it goes over that it becomes red.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

if they upgrade they might get criticism for doing it so late. Red usually means some schools may consider closing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

There was a storm like this a couple of years ago

Strong winds n nothing exceptional but waves might be exciting.

Might actually be good drying tomorrow in some spots

Though if you put clothes on line they might end up in another jurisdiction

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Pangea wrote: »
    if they upgrade they might get criticism for doing it so late. Red usually means some schools may consider closing etc.

Red warning will stop the Bus Eireann school bus service in any counties such a warning is issued for.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Really hope they find that walker soon in Galway. Not weather to be lost in

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭horsefarm

Wanderer78 wrote: »

There was a tweet around 1am saying they had located the Walker. Hopefully that is correct and they are ok

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Wanderer78 wrote: »

Indeed yes. There is a man missing off the coast just down the road from me. They had to abandon the search last night....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

South Kerry mountains 40 asl. Wild, wild, loud night and getting louder and wilder by the minute. No way I am going anywhere today..I noticed that they are downplaying some; maybe like many of us just fed up and weary of living on high alert. I don't think it means more than that. Hoping at least some parents in more remote areas keep their kids home.As for putting washing out!!!!! The private access lane here has high hedges the first stretch from the house and acts like a wind tunnel and after every gale I have to gather in an amazing array of items... GEE; getting ferocious now and heavy rain and hail against the window. Blasts of wind nearly making my ears pop...Snug and safe...Stay safe out there... Did not say this last time but when I was fleeing home before Frank, a tree came down on the road just after I had passed... And of course Monday early and everyone off work Sunday.. Any Dubliners wanting to experience the gales welcome here; admission is a bag of coal and includes food. A 40 k bag I mean ;)

Very very windy in West Clare, almost surprising. Things being absolutely blown around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

horsefarm wrote:
    There was a tweet around 1am saying they had located the Walker. Hopefully that is correct and they are ok

Thankfully it's true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Windier than I had imagined here in Donegal Town. If timing is right and this is due to steadily increase throughout the day then we could be in for quite a blast today even by Donegal standards.

Advertisement