Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Henry - February 1st, 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Getting tight up here in North Donegal now. Big gusts.
    Going to be rough later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Power gone, North Co. Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Getting quite breezy here in Shannon

Some squally rain just passed by so if you're east of Shannon run out and grab your washing before it gets wet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

woody1 wrote: »
    thought the peak of it was supposed to be late afternoon / evening between now and 6 ish .. fairly roaring here north of crossmolina blowing the car on the road as i drove home

It's cracked up a few notches here outside Newport now. A couple of really strong gusts. Will be an interesting few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

corsav6 wrote: »
    It's cracked up a few notches here outside Newport now. A couple of really strong gusts. Will be an interesting few hours.

Yeah it's got a lot worse in Castlebar the last hour, gusts just below 95 km/hr now, it's been quite a stormy 24 hours so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Can someone confirm time of peak gusts for Donegal ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

irish1967 wrote: »
    Can someone confirm time of peak gusts for Donegal ?

I think I heard around teatime to evening, although that might have not been for Donegal but country overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

NIMAN wrote: »
    I think I heard around teatime to evening, although that might have not been for Donegal but country overall.

Looks to be at its worst until around 4am

STATUS ORANGE

Wind Warning for Donegal, Galway, Leitrim, Mayo, Sligo, Clare, Cork, Kerry and Limerick

Southwest to west winds will reach mean speeds between 65 and 80 km/h with gusts between 110 and 130 km/h today. Winds will peak during Monday afternoon and evening and will be at their strongest along the coasts.
    Issued:
    Sunday 31 January 2016 10:00

Valid:
    Monday 01 February 2016 11:00 to Tuesday 02 February 2016 04:00

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I can still stand up outside in between gusts.. seen little enough of the outdoors but watched a fleeting rainbow that looked almost as if it were being blown across the mountains. Clear westerly now which means a little less noise as it hits the gable end but there have been a few ominous creaks from the roof and the power has flickered. Power cuts up here are blessedly rare thankfully. South Kerry mountains 400 asl

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Yeah,I'm under a mile from the sea,huge waves crashing against Clare Island,incredible to see the waves swelling above the horizon line.

Would dearly love to see that.. When I went to Mizen Head last week, watching the waves break in the wind was amazing.. My next ie my last house will be by the sea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

It's certainly one of the nicer winter storms in these parts (West Laois), the sunshine and blue sky between showers is a welcome sight. Looks like the mean wind speeds have abated slightly, but the gusts are still coming strong...

First stray gust of over 100 km/hr in Castlebar, Henry seems to be following Gertrude quite similarly, not that much rain so far at this point and just about 17 km/hr below the strongest gust we got with Gertrude

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Bit windy in Galway few showers not bad

So much for not having much rain, bucketing it down now with sleety showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Cairngorm in Scotland at a height of 1245m amsl has seen gusts in excess of 200kmh today, top gust so far of 215kmh!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Not that bad in Galway, drove from the city along the motorway helped by a bit of a tailwind.

Not that bad in Galway, drove from the city along the motorway helped by a bit of a tailwind.

Of course its bad in Galway did you not hear the news on Galway Bay FM "Hurricane force winds to batter Galway" I kid you not what a load of boll..ks :D

http://galwaybayfm.ie/safety-warnings-as-hurricane-force-gusts-set-to-batter-galway/

Malin head hit 130kmh in past hour

• Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

The wind blew my friend into a pole, it was so hilarious :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

sryanbruen wrote: »
    The wind blew my friend into a pole, it was so hilarious :pac:

Could have been worse.. like a Russian!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Been very blustery all day and last night here in West Clare. No visible damage but I'd imagine some has been done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭Bsal

For a period today between 1345-1415 at Dublin airport mean wind speeds where 41kts with gusts to 52kts very strong indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Very quiet here in Tipp. Breezy but not stormy at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Bsal wrote: »
    For a period today between 1345-1415 at Dublin airport mean wind speeds where 41kts with gusts to 52kts very strong indeed.

Was gusting 50kts as recently as 16:00.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Died down in Galway certainly was not a bad storm

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

I recorded sustained wind speeds of 50-60 knots in Portstewart this afternoon around 4.30pm! Serious wind, I'm a big lad and I was having difficulty standing still!

Take a look at Marine Traffic there is not a ship or a fishing vessel on the Western side of Ireland or Scotland they are all taking shelter on the East side

• Registered Users Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I like this map showing the headlands, coastal reporting points and the marine weather buoys for anyone who listens to the sea-area forecast.

Nothing quite like being warm in bed at five mins. to midnight on a stormy night, listening to the sea-area forecast and coastal reports.:)

marine-map-11.png

• Advertisement

Malin Head reporting gusts of over 120 km/hr now.

Advertisement