Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Henry - February 1st, 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Still rough here outside Newport. I thought the worst was done with earlier in the eve but some strong gusts still hammering us.
    It seems to come in phases, 5-10 mins of strong gusts and then a light breeze for a while.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Nothing like the high gusts being reported in the Northern half of the country but windy nonetheless here near Tralee with the highest readings in fact in the last hour of 72.4 kph ( Fenit harbour max of 92.3 kph ).

Hats off to Met Eireann ,they called this one very well.

G2eZOZ1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭mickyfitzy2

Winds strong in inishowen now for 10 hours or so. Some savage gusts at my house 100m asl 10 miles from malin head.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

corsav6 wrote: »
    Still rough here outside Newport. I thought the worst was done with earlier in the eve but some strong gusts still hammering us.
    It seems to come in phases, 5-10 mins of strong gusts and then a light breeze for a while.

It is still gusting between 90-100 km/hr at its most severe, less rain though then what Gertrude brought.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

Wind is howling outside in South Dublin much stronger than I was expecting

• Advertisement

Xenji wrote: »
    It is still gusting between 90-100 km/hr at its most severe, less rain though then what Gertrude brought.

It's been constant since I last posted, with some hail hammering the windows.
    It's hitting us directly from the west which is unusual, normally SW is the worst for us but tonight is certainly rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

corsav6 wrote: »
    It's been constant since I last posted, with some hail hammering the windows.
    It's hitting us directly from the west which is unusual, normally SW is the worst for us but tonight is certainly rough.

Should not have said anything, heavy downpours of rain and hail now, temperature has dropped of as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Wind is howling outside in South Dublin much stronger than I was expecting
    Where? Its breezy in Terenure but nothing out of the ordinary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

It's wild here in west Galway but the lack of rain makes it seem considerably nicer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Similar wind speeds to Gertrude here. Actually overall a decent day with plenty of sunshine albeit windy. Wxsim software on my site forecast max gust of 62km/h and the actual was 63km/h. Its normally fairly accurate with these types of events.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Advertisement

Xenji wrote: »
    Should not have said anything, heavy downpours of rain and hail now, temperature has dropped of as well.

I noticed the temperature had dropped when I was out in the shed earlier.
    I drove to castlebar around 4pm and it was wild on the road. Stuck behind a clio been tossed around like a toy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Killiney

:D:D And what about it:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

South Uist Range weather station on a Scottish Island recorded a gust of 144kmh in the past hour!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

9pm reports.... Malin head 66 knots.......

Villain wrote: »
    South Uist Range weather station on a Scottish Island recorded a gust of 144kmh in the past hour!!

Compared to the 200km/h+ recorded in some Scottish islands earlier that seems like a light breeze!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Compared to the 200km/h+ recorded in some Scottish islands earlier that seems like a light breeze!

Rather than islands...that was highlands!

:D:D And what about it:D:D
    I was asked what part of south Dublin was I living in

Where? Its breezy in Terenure but nothing out of the ordinary
    Killiney

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

There's quite a potent snow risk tomorrow afternoon and night.
    Falling and lying snow a live possibility for Western areas esp...

Mods it pbly deserves a thread of its own!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

You wouldn't know that there is a storm going on in this country from where I live near Limerick City on the Tipperary side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,813 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I agree with my Killiney near neighbour, unusually high sustained speeds for south Dublin. 40 kts gusting 50 fairly constant, chance of disruptive debris in the AM

There's quite a potent snow risk tomorrow afternoon and night.
    Falling and lying snow a live possibility for Western areas esp...

Mods it pbly deserves a thread of its own!?

Maybe, it depends really. Met Eireann has no issued warning, and if the experts think one is needed they may just post one.

If its only going to be a localised event I'm sure the general winter thread can cope.

Final decision to the mods though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭saltsun

Not too far from Mace head here, on an exposed coast, it's been windy but nothing terribly remarkable. The lack of rain as mentioned has been very welcome, a couple of dirty showers but dry otherwise.

It may have been earlier on this thread or a previous one but the change in speed from mph to kph seems to have been negatively seized on and overly dramatised.

Henry seems an altogether better tempered storm compared to others, for this part of the world at least.

10pm reports....Malin head gusting 63 knots....

1242 meters in the difference :D

Villain wrote: »
    1242 meters in the difference :D

Ohh and Cairngorm just hit 239kmh!! It is at 1245m above sea level though.

11pm reports Malin head, once again, gusting 62 knots

11pm reports Malin head, once again, gusting 62 knots

Yeah not too far from malin head where I am and it hasn't let up since about 11 this morning, very gusty.

Noticed one of the Irish Navy boats, (The Samuel Beckett, I'm told) sheltering in Lough Swilly for the last few days. Must be Mega rough off NW coast tonite!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Yeah not too far from malin head where I am and it hasn't let up since about 11 this morning, very gusty.

Still getting gusts over 100 kph mickyfitzy2, getting to sleep must be tricky near Malin Hd :)

lU3QOIs.png?2

Advertisement