Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Winter Weather 2015/16 : See Mod Note Post #1

• 25-08-2015 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The summer is almost over (a week left) and with such a disappointing season I'm starting to think about winter.

What weather effects should we expect from'El Niño'?

Mod Note
    We agreed last year to confine sensationalist tabloid weather stories to the Weather in the Media thread so please post any tabloid headlines/links there.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

What about autumn? :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

after 5 failed winters in a row I feel were due another 'beast from the east' hopefully this winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭dexter647

It's amazing we got till the end of August before the winter thread was set up imo....Going to be a cold one;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

I'll take anything as long its not rain, saturated ground and floodng.

Dry Sunny with top temps of -5 will do nicely

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Add occasional snow to that and then you have an ideal winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Add occasional snow to that and then you have an ideal winter.

A lot of snow would be nice, but due to the dreaded IOM Shadow, i'll take occasional.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,268 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

This is not offered as a prediction but as long as that colder than normal Atlantic pool remains a factor, it would be difficult for the atmosphere to respond in any other way than unsettled to stormy and not particularly mild either. This feature has been quite stubborn over the past several months and shows little signs of changing soon.

This would also pretty much guarantee that the autumn won't be a lot different in trends from this past summer, at best it would be near normal and likely wetter and slightly cooler than average.

A lot of snow would be nice, but due to the dreaded IOM Shadow, i'll take occasional.

I'd prefer to be in the IOM shadow than in west Clare!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

No snow, dry with occasional rain and not dropping below 10c.

Thanks.

JJJJNR wrote: »
    No snow, dry with occasional rain and not dropping below 10c.

Thanks.

Either your looking at the wrong season or the wrong country!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

It's that time of year again.

This thread is permanently open on my browser/ tablet and my F5 is ready and waiting.

I hope for cold and snowy weather but I am expecting stormy weather instead with above average temperatures.

I hope America don't steal Winter 3 years in a row

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Watch the Azores high coming closer for about 5 months now that this thread is started.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

dexter647 wrote: »
    It's amazing we got till the end of August before the winter thread was set up imo....Going to be a cold one;)

I really hope you are wrong. I thought last years winter was lovely if we get another winter like that I will be very happy barely had any reason to turn the heating on at all as it was a lovely mild winter.
    Another mild winter please.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Gonzo wrote: »
    after 5 failed winters in a row I feel were due another 'beast from the east' hopefully this winter.

People thought we were due one last year too. Statistically we rarely get bad winters like 5 years ago so you might be waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Watch the Azores high coming closer for about 5 months now that this thread is started.

"Well don't mind if i dooooooo "
    gfs-0-348_wau5.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

It's just finishing! :P

Can see the logic in M.Ts forecast. If the seas and air masses in the nearby N. Atlantic remain cooler than normal this winter then it may help to create more vigorous storms if tropical air masses are thrown into the area. I for one won't be complaining if this was to happen. It has been a long time since I have seen a good old fashion 80 mph storm with lightning ripping across the night sky. This is what the Irish winter should be about! :)

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

AMKC wrote: »
    I really hope you are wrong. I thought last years winter was lovely if we get another winter like that I will be very happy barely had any reason to turn the heating on at all as it was a lovely mild winter.
    Another mild winter please.

Well insulated house or no females living in the house?

Looking at the Met Éireann forecast for next week ahead, temperatures could dip below 0c in rural areas! This is providing an Azores High builds up north of us driving cold winds down. Winter starting already?

I'll take cold and dry! Hopefully clear skies too:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Tindie

I love to be very snowy winter , like 2010 and 2013

If the UK gets one flake of snow or a polar vortex , you know the county will come to a stand still

Tindie wrote: »

If the UK gets one flake of snow or a polar vortex , you know the county will come to a stand still

2013? 2013 was one of the worst winters, we didn't get 1 bit of lying snow here in west Clare.

• Advertisement

2013? 2013 was one of the worst winters, we didn't get 1 bit of lying snow here in west Clare.

January 2013 was very snowy, in the midlands , It was snowing most of January .

I

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Metmaster

Tindie wrote: »

Exactly!! Its hard to tell how things will go at the moment just because its quite a long way off but we should be seeing a few changes in the coming weeks. Heres to a cold and snowy one :)

Any of the Infamous long-range forecasters release any forecasts yet? Id be interested in reading how certain stars have aligned causing us the coldest winter in 100 years again.

Gritters prepare for winter in Lincolnshire

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-34096333

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Any of the Infamous long-range forecasters release any forecasts yet? Id be interested in reading how certain stars have aligned causing us the coldest winter in 100 years again.

consdering how wrong they have been, I'd say they are keeping fairly quiet.

Here's the summer 2015 forecast from one well-known person from the southern hemisphere about Irish weather for Summer just gone.

"What’s in store for summer 2015?

Summer will be sunnier than the average, with warmer maxima and average minima, and average rainfall overall for the country.

There will be a wide variance between the north and south, with the north having a drier and warmer summer than the south, and with most counties enjoying a sunnier summer than average."

delahuntv wrote: »
    consdering how wrong they have been, I'd say they are keeping fairly quiet.

Here's the summer 2015 forecast from one well-known person from the southern hemisphere about Irish weather for Summer just gone.

"What’s in store for summer 2015?

Summer will be sunnier than the average, with warmer maxima and average minima, and average rainfall overall for the country.

There will be a wide variance between the north and south, with the north having a drier and warmer summer than the south, and with most counties enjoying a sunnier summer than average."

True i never take long range forecasters forecasts on board you can only forecast somewhat accurately a couple of weeks in advance not a couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 mandylevo

My winter prediction is that James Madden will predict the next iceage again ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Hooter23

mandylevo wrote: »
    My winter prediction is that James Madden will predict the next iceage again ....

Yes your right I saw it in The Star newspaper today he was talking about the gulf stream slowing down since the end of last year and how cold this winter would be as he usually says...

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Yes your right I saw it in The Star newspaper today he was talking about the gulf stream slowing down since the end of last year and how cold this winter would be as he usually says...

Wouldnt worry about it, they say the same thing every year. But they will eventually be right it might be this year and might not (hope it is tho were due a cold one)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭pauldry

I think MT is right. The cooler than average trend will continue. This will increase the risk of a colder spell but a lot of the times temperatures will be borderline for heavy snow i think. Maybe 5 to 8c instead of 2 to 5c or 3 to 6c.

This is only going by the dominating pattern of temperature averages over the past few months.

Theres a good chance of 20c next Monday though! :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement