Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - seen thread *SPOILERS WITHIN* See Mod Warning in first post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

And what happened to the bike after he snaked down that alleyway and fecked off in the flying thing?

Isn't it in the container thing when he gives it to Selina later? same alley I suppose, or it can attach to the flying thingy somehow, sure it was in the front of the tumbler originally so it can fold up to become smaller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

krudler wrote: »
    Isn't it in the container thing when he gives it to Selina later? same alley I suppose, or it can attach to the flying thingy somehow, sure it was in the front of the tumbler originally so it can fold up to become smaller.

I like the former explanation.
    I did think that it might be in the flying thingy but there just wasn't enough room.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Zardoz

It seems the DVD and Bluray have started shipping today from some pre releases dvd sites in the US like DVDUSA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Watched this (for the third time) in Imax last week - absolutely amazing. Well worth trying to get along to one of the final showings if you're anywhere close to once of the screenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭upstairs for coffee

Felt let down by the fact that Nolan had convinced the viewer to suspend disbelief and actually think the first two movies as some how "realistic", but in this movie he wasn't quite able to.

I think it was down to exceptionally cheesy dialogue and more transparent potholes.

Still an enjoyable movie though.

• Advertisement

Felt let down by the fact that Nolan had convinced the viewer to suspend disbelief and actually think the first two movies as some how "realistic", but in this movie he wasn't quite able to.

I think it was down to exceptionally cheesy dialogue and more transparent potholes.

Still an enjoyable movie though.

I loved most of the dialog but yeah, compared to the first two it was somewhat lazy and more unrealistic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

I loved most of the dialog but yeah, compared to the first two it was somewhat lazy and more unrealistic.

What aspects did you find more unrealistic than the previous two?

Stuff like the recovery from the broken back, not only did he recover but he managed to get into good enough shape to physically overcome Bane.
    The ending, the fact that he survived the bomb and the fact that the Batwing wasn't obliterated.
    DK had more a feel of Heat about whereas DKR was more like a Batman movie of old.
    Stunts seemed to have been pushed that little bit more for the sake of being spectacular, at the expense of being realistic.

DKR seemed a bit sloppier / lazier in places too, with several examples being cited in this thread.

I know it's a bit daft discussing realism in a Batman movie but I definitely found the first two more realistic.
    I really enjoyed DKR but I'd have to rank it as 3rd of the 3, with DK top of the list.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Just to point out: The Bat was obliterated in the bomb blast. What you see them working on at the end is a prototype, not the one Batman flew out to sea in.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭upstairs for coffee

I think that is the crux of my point.

For whatever reason Nolan was able to suspend the disbelief of the viewers for the first two films (Even though they were just as unrealistic as the third). Maybe it was because viewers were not accustomed to comic book hero movies being so "dark", normally hero movies are very whimsical - see The Amazing Spiderman, The Avengers. Perhaps the novelty wore off by the third movie?

• Advertisement

Just to point out: The Bat was obliterated in the bomb blast. What you see them working on at the end is a prototype, not the one Batman flew out to sea in.

I'm not convinced about that.
    Why would Batman have repaired the Auto-pilot in that one?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Huh. Thats certainly interesting. But why wouldnt he have rolled to software out to both machines?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Trial and error on the prototype before making any risky changes to the real thing possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Andy!! wrote: »
    Huh. Thats certainly interesting. But why wouldnt he have rolled to software out to both machines?

Because you don't roll out software changes onto a live and prototype system at the same time in case of software flaws............. Unless you're Ulster Bank*

*Allegedly

Andy!! wrote: »

He did, wasn't that the whole point, that he had a functioning Autopilot even thought Fox thought he didn't.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

He did, wasn't that the whole point, that he had a functioning Autopilot even thought Fox thought he didn't.

But what if he didn't? That's the point, that's why it's an interesting idea. Still think it's more likely that he did, but will have to watch it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Nice that people are still debating aspects of this film long after The Avengers and Amazing Spider-Man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

How did Daggert die ?
    Eye gouge and then a broken neck for his troubles ?

Gamb!t wrote: »
    How did Daggert die ?
    Eye gouge and then a broken neck for his troubles ?

It wasn't shown, we were only treated to his off-camera screams.
    He made a serious mistake by getting lippy with Bane and that was the end of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

It wasn't shown, we were only treated to his off-camera screams.
    He made a serious mistake by getting lippy with Bane and that was the end of him.
    Not as serious as yours..I fear ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Which do you think is more likely, Bruce Wayne creates a software patch for the Bat that is uploaded to all prototypes or some Wayne Enterprises server, or that the Bat survived a nuclear explosion? Do people really need to be shown every little facet of off-screen minutiae?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Two weeks on Friday for the blu ray release round these parts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

They've done well to keep the disc rips off the interwebs so far!

Aye, I thought so. Apparently some people already have the internation edition or something, but my search proved fruitless :( (I will still be buying that awesome broken helmet edition thing either way)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Which do you think is more likely, Bruce Wayne creates a software patch for the Bat that is uploaded to all prototypes or some Wayne Enterprises server, or that the Bat survived a nuclear explosion? Do people really need to be shown every little facet of off-screen minutiae?!

Actually they do.

The film ending would have been much better ending on Alfred's knowing look, rather than actually showing Selena and Bruce alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Rodin wrote: »
    Actually they do.

The film ending would have been much better ending on Alfred's knowing look, rather than actually showing Selena and Bruce alive.

I agree about the ending, however whether Bruce is dead or alive is anything but a trivial detail, it's key to the plot. You can't compare that to people saying the film is unrealistic because it's unlikely Batman made a copy of the software patch and it's unclear if the Bat survived a nuclear detonation at ground zero or not, or things like how Batman could get back into the city without his batpassport. They're very different complaints.

Batman got back into the city cos he's batman :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭PaulB1984

Worst i've ever seen, in terms of disappointment. Batman Begins and The Dark Knight are among my top favourite movies, i have nothing but love for them, in my eyes they're perfect. So it's safe to say i had huge expectations for DKR. How horribly let down i was i'll never forget. I can forgive a movie outside of a franchise, or even a movie as part of a series where it has no real place anyway (Bourne Legacy for example), but not this. I should start with it's biggest problem, the complete lack of Batman himself. Not Bruce Wayne as Bruce Wayne, but Bruce Wayne actually as Batman. Right now, i remember 3 small scenes featuring Batman, totalling around 14 minutes. I also remember Bruce Wayne
    spending half the movie down a well
    which angered me even more. The story made no sense, almost as if it had no story at all. Bane was awful, between the hilariously bad and unidentifiable accent, to the seemingly pregnant body he carried. Even his motives made no sense at all to me. Anne Hathaway as Catwoman was a complete joke, i like the actress, but here she's just eye candy and nothing more, she served no purpose to anything and rarely even appeared. The 2 people i will give credit to are Michael Caine and Gary Oldman, they were wonderful, outdoing themselves in the previous entries. The directing and look of the movie is incredible, no one would expect otherwise from Christopher Nolan and his team, also special notice for Hans Zimmer's fantastic score. But everything else just fails. There's a scene when Batman first appears (The Batpod chase), he has this unsual weapon we'd seen plastered everywhere in publicity shots, but do we get to see what it does? Do we heck! A cop comes along and shoots it, ruining the entire scene. Just one of the many red herrings throughout the whole farce. A couple of impressive enough scenes, but as i type this, even now i feel the anger building up. What upsets me possibly more than anything is that this truly is the end of Nolan's run of Batman, which means he will never make up to me and other people disappointed, by giving us a truly spectacular action-packed Batman movie to end his series, so shame on them, and bravo to Michael, Gary and Hans for trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

PaulB1984 wrote: »
    What upsets me possibly more than anything is that this truly is the end of Nolan's run of Batman, which means he will never make up to me and other people disappointed, by giving us a truly spectacular action-packed Batman movie to end his series, so shame on them, and bravo to Michael, Gary and Hans for trying.

I'd imagine that you're part of a tiny minority so I doubt they give a ****e tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

I agree about the ending, however whether Bruce is dead or alive is anything but a trivial detail, it's key to the plot. You can't compare that to people saying the film is unrealistic because it's unlikely Batman made a copy of the software patch and it's unclear if the Bat survived a nuclear detonation at ground zero or not, or things like how Batman could get back into the city without his batpassport. They're very different complaints.

My point is that the knowing look would make it obvious that he was looking at Bruce, as he expressed a wish for earlier in the film.
    We don't need an actual shot of Bruce to confirm it. Less is more.

Advertisement