Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - seen thread *SPOILERS WITHIN* See Mod Warning in first post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

In the scene where Selina gives Stryver Bruce's prints she kicks the sh*t out of him and knocks him out.Why didn't one of the 50 cops there arrest him and prevent him passing the prints to Bane?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭coolisin

One of the criticism I've heard is about Bruce Wayne down in a hole for an hour, with a story arc involving Ras al Ghul surely the hole/well he is down also represents a Lazarus Pit?!
    Which I think featured in the animated series, but def in the computer games.
    While its not the best out of this trilogy when it comes out on Blu ray I will be purchasing and watching all of them again and again, it's a new Star Wars for me, a trilogy ill sit down and watch again and again.
    It's a great ending.
    It's funny how Bane was destroyed by the cartoon a little but very much ruined by Bat and Robin.

His back story and the start of knight fall is great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

It is a good point, the pit is essentially Nolan's Lazarus Pit. Bruce enters the pit broken and leaves rejuvenated, sounds like the Lazurus Pit to me. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

Wonder if the bluray will contain the original cut with banes unaltered voice, would love to watch it fully with that

• Registered Users Posts: 11,796 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

madrab wrote: »
    Wonder if the bluray will contain the original cut with banes unaltered voice, would love to watch it fully with that
    yep thats what i would be looking for, such a mistake to change it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

I'm not 100% convinced the decision to change Bane's voice was right myself, but it has certainly paid off in terms of establishing the character in the public consciousness. Hardy's depiction may not completely gel with the comic version, but it's certainly iconic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭PaulB1984

e_e wrote: »
    A very thorough plot that builds on its legacy and concludes almost 8 hours worth of film? Check.

A villain with intellect, charisma, an intriguing back story, a devastating plan and is for once a real physical threat to the hero? Check again.

I don't understand your deal here at all, a good portion of the film is about a lack of heroic symbols in Gotham and it'd be so phony if he were to don the cape again within ten minutes, the audience is supposed to feel that sense of loss of hope in Gotham.

Sounds to me like you're favoring cheap pantomime over genuine character development and logic.

A thoroug plot? Based around what? A fat lunatic who can't speak proper english wants to destroy a city? Didn't we already see that with Brian Cowen?

A villian with itellect? Did you see
    how he died?
    Very intelligent. Charisma? Hahahaha. A devastating plan? What movie villian in history didn't have a devastating plan? And who had a plan like "Let's destroy Gotham and turn everyone against each other!". I'm pretty sure Joker made a better attempt, as did Raz Al Ghul. And a physical threat to Batman? Of course, sure wasn't Bruce Wayne held together by a leg brace?

Eh? Is that not my problem? A comic book movie, a Batman movie, and barely a hero in sight through any of it? I'm not asking that he instantly become Batman, but damn, to have a few minutes in a movie so long? You really sat there and thought "Wow, i love this! And it's got no Batman at all, which is awesome! I feel real loss for Gotham!" ?

As for the last part, now that i know you consider Batman to be cheap pantomime, i don't know what else to say, other than the fact that i'm surprised you went to see a Batman movie at all.

phil1nj wrote: »
    Oh there is flying (but there isn't non-stop, in your face, balls to the wall, stomach up in your brains, arse glued to the seat, blood pumping flight scenes 100% of the time which is what I would expect from a movie called "The Aviator":D). There are lots of other things like congressional hearings, blue-coloured golf courses, dinners with pefectly laid out peas on a plate and even some pissing in jam jars IIRC.

You might want to get that meter checked:). (There was no Batman in it either). Gutted!

It's called The Aviator, not The Aviation. And there's rarely a scene where "The Aviator" is not seen in "The Aviator". But as you mention it, imagine The Aviator movie without Howard Hughes, but instead everyone around him.

coolisin wrote: »
    One of the criticism I've heard is about Bruce Wayne down in a hole for an hour, with a story arc involving Ras al Ghul surely the hole/well he is down also represents a Lazarus Pit?!
    Which I think featured in the animated series, but def in the computer games.
    While its not the best out of this trilogy when it comes out on Blu ray I will be purchasing and watching all of them again and again, it's a new Star Wars for me, a trilogy ill sit down and watch again and again.
    It's a great ending.
    It's funny how Bane was destroyed by the cartoon a little but very much ruined by Bat and Robin.

His back story and the start of knight fall is great.

Well, i paid €12 to see Bruce Wayne down a hole for an hour. I could've thrown myself down a well and lived half the movie for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

PaulB1984 wrote: »
    Well, i paid €12 to see Bruce Wayne down a hole for an hour. I could've thrown myself down a well and lived half the movie for free.

I think you're being a bit ridiculous, in fairness.

A villian with itellect? Did you see
    how he died?
    Very intelligent.

He got hit by a rocket.
    How does that have the slightest bearing on his intellect, or lack of?

• Advertisement

I think you're being a bit ridiculous, in fairness.

He got hit by a rocket.
    How does that have the slightest bearing on his intellect, or lack of?

Nobody understands what i'm driving at. I walked up to the cinema door and saw a poster with Batman and a bunch of police cars on it. I left after seeing a man down a hole for an hour, a fat dude i couldn't understand a word from and next to no action and no Batman at all. But everyone's saying i should've rejoiced and bounced around the place.

Ehhh, someone points a rocket at you... Move...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I think he's confusing intellect with telekinesis. ;)

Nobody understands what i'm driving at.

Strange that.

I walked up to the cinema door and saw a poster with Batman and a bunch of police cars on it. I left after seeing a man down a hole for an hour, a fat dude i couldn't understand a word from and next to no action and no Batman at all. But everyone's saying i should've rejoiced and bounced around the place.

Did you possibly turn up late and also leave the cinema early?

I think he's confusing intellect with telekinesis. ;)

Ah come on, you didn't think that death was stupid? The whole movie's lead villian, supposedly this major badass dude, and he gets written off in a split second. I've friends who llllooooooovvvveeeeddddddd the movie even tell me they thought that was stupid.

Ah come on, you didn't think that death was stupid? The whole movie's lead villian, supposedly this major badass dude, and he gets written off in a split second. I've friends who llllooooooovvvveeeeddddddd the movie even tell me they thought that was stupid.

I wasn't particularly fond of the way they killed Bane but I fail to see what it has to do with his intellect.

Written off in a split second? There's a lengthy fight scene leading up to that shot.

If you're gonna complain about it not dwelling on a villain's demise, you could surely do the same for Scarecrow in Batman Begins and Joker in TDK and Bane's end was a lot punchier than either of those.

Strange that.

Did you possibly turn up late and also leave the cinema early?

Are you going to see the new Tom Cruise Jack Reacher movie this December? It's the next one i'm planning to see, really looking forward to it. I hear it has this guy called Jack Reacher in it, the movie runs for 2 hours, wonder how much time he'll get in it? I hear he gets a lot of it, we'll see when it comes out...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

After a rewatch that entrance still sends a shiver down my spine :D

"Whats going on with the lights?"
    *vroom*
    "It cant be...."
    "What the hell was that?"
    "Oh boy youre in for a show tonight son"

Pure Dark Knight Returns :D

Repeating the same point ad nauseum doesn't make it more true unfortunately.

I wasn't particularly fond of the way they killed Bane but I fail to see what it has to do with his intellect.

I just think a wall or whatever blows up, he stands there and takes a rocket, doesn't say much for reflex. And to be
    killed by Catwoman? He's the major villian and was killed by the shoddy sidekick? So in other words, Batman didn't even win the day at all?

• Advertisement

Written off in a split second? There's a lengthy fight scene leading up to that shot.

If you're gonna complain about it not dwelling on a villain's demise, you could surely do the same for Scarecrow in Batman Begins and Joker in TDK and Bane's end was a lot punchier than either of those.

Oh don't get me wrong, the fight is good, but where's the glory? It's a fist fight, where's the spectacle? Where's the "I won't kill you, but i don't have to save you" scene? And Joker met no demise at the end of TDK, unless being locked in a mad house counts as demise.

I just think a wall or whatever blows up, he stands there and takes a rocket, doesn't say much for reflex. And to be
    killed by Catwoman? He's the major villian and was killed by the shoddy sidekick? So in other words, Batman didn't even win the day at all?

I think we're way beyond spoilers at this point.
    Bane's not really the major villain and how is he supposed to dodge a speeding rocket?
    He's Bane, not Superman.

Repeating the same point ad nauseum doesn't make it more true unfortunately.

So stop repeating it.

I think we're way beyond spoilers at this point.
    Bane's not really the major villain and how is he supposed to dodge a speeding rocket?
    He's Bane, not Superman.

Just for the sake of those who haven't seen it.

For the whole movie, Bane is the lead villian, he's intended to be the big threat, being pushed aside at the end doesn't make it any different. Batman always brings down the lead villian, one way or another.

A wall blows up, move. Simple.

where's the spectacle?
    The fact that it's taking place amidst an all out war on the streets of Gotham city with rockets being shot left right and center and a feckin' bomb that's about to go off?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Just for the sake of those who haven't seen it.

For the whole movie, Bane is the lead villian, he's intended to be the big threat, being pushed aside at the end doesn't make it any different. Batman always brings down the lead villian, one way or another.

The wall didnt blow up. The door was already open. He just took a rocket to the chest

"Hang on a sec let me just gain Spider-man's reflexes even though I'm a fairly bulky guy."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Tempted to get my shotgun, bring this thread out the back blindfolded, and put it out of its misery :(

This is just going around in circles, yes.

The only thing I'll say is that the "lack of Batman" complaint doesn't make sense for somebody who loves Begins, since it takes about 70 minutes for him to appear in that and said film is even a half an hour shorter than Rises.

• Advertisement

The fact that it's taking place amidst an all out war on the streets of Gotham city with rockets being shot left right and center and a feckin' bomb that's about to go off?

All out war? Ah come on, Batman Begins has real all-out war in it's finale. Real panic and fear. DKR, yes, i completely agree that the finale is the most impressive scene in the movie, but hardly compares to the previous movies,

Advertisement