Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - seen thread *SPOILERS WITHIN* See Mod Warning in first post

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Lovely jubbly. I'l happily pay..... 65 for that set?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

wait, why does BB only have one disc but there's 2 disc spaces in the left part of the box with the BB background? I'm pedantic about that kind of stuff :pac: Probably just a photoshop job though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

DVD boxset cover looks even better than the blu-ray.

temp3689.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I wouldn't be inclined to go double-dipping by purchasing that box set. The first two films will almost certainly get re-released with new transfers down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Are Warners still hobbling the picture quality on DVDs?

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be inclined to go double-dipping by purchasing that box set. The first two films will almost certainly get re-released with new transfers down the road.

Would they warrant new transfers? BB looks grand and so does TDK, the IMAX stuff especially, wonder how TDKR is going to look since so much of it was in IMAX.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Begins and TDK had a fair bit of DNR applied, though not to the IMAX sequences in TDK which is partly why they look so good. Begins was also ported from the HD-DVD so it's a low bitrate encode. They are perfectly decent transfers, but I can't see Warners passing up the opportunity to release remastered versions in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Saw it for the third time last night in Dundrum, 2 months later. Screen still 1/3 full. Everyone there had seen it before bar 2 mid 30s women in front of me who were on the edge of their seats.

Really relished Banes speech outside BlackGate so much more this time, would love to get a mp3 of it and listen to it when in the gym.

Also noticed the face of the guy who nurses Bruce in the pit when Bruce climbs out. He doesn't look at all happy. My interpretation is he protrays a mixture of shock and worry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

Yeah, love that bit where he reveals the contents of Gordon's letter.
    Completely reveling in it.

Is it still in cinemas? Might see it once more before its gone.

• Advertisement

cloud493 wrote: »
    Is it still in cinemas? Might see it once more before its gone.

its still around a few places, its had a good run now well over 2 months, and people are still going to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Love the scene on the steps, probably my fave scene in the entire film, just so powerful.

I thought the best scene, maybe not a full scene, is when Gordon is speaking to batman, and batman reveals to him who he is.

'A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a little boy's shoulders to let him know that the world hadn't ended'

I thought the best scene, maybe not a full scene, is when Gordon is speaking to batman, and batman reveals to him who he is.

'A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a little boy's shoulders to let him know that the world hadn't ended'

Jim Gordon, master detective :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

It was that scene and the little shot of BB that my motivation to not cry went straight out the window.

It was that scene and the little shot of BB that my motivation to not cry went straight out the window.

Begins still has my favourite moment of the trilogy

"I never said thank you"
    "And you'll never have to"

Thread is locked until we can clean it up. Some bans might be in order.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

So this is re-opened, although as you might have noticed everything from the last 48 hours or so has been deleted. With apologies to the people with reasonable observations, but even the generally sensible posts would have made no sense without the offending posts so we went for a blanket delete.

This thread has been an absolute mess, frankly. We don't like having to do such heavy handed moderation, but in this case it was the only option. In the future, if someone is posting in a purposefully inflammatory manner, do not engage them as that only makes the thread worse. Report them and harsh justice will be served if necessary (and has been served). And if we see the word 'fanboy' accusations again, the poster will be instantly infracted or maybe even banned.

This is just another film. People liked it, people hated it (I'd imagine there's people in the middle, but they rarely speak up). If you can't discuss it sensibly or without insulting everyone who disagrees, then this film forum isn't for you.

Now, let's try this again, shall we? Much of this thread has been perfectly polite, reasonable discussion. Remember to report anything that isn't, and hopefully this thread will no longer be the sarcastic, idiotic mess it often has been.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,170 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Do people reckon it'd be worth seeing a second time? There's an IMAX in Manchester and I think they're still showing it.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,212 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Do people reckon it'd be worth seeing a second time? There's an IMAX in Manchester and I think they're still showing it.

i loved it second time round ( loved it the first time too mind!), well worth a second watch. I definitley wouldn't pass up the opportunity to see it in IMAX no matter how many times I've watched it tbh!

• Advertisement

It'll be my 4th time tomorrow :cool:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,170 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm sorely tempted to see it again. My flatmate keeps raving about IMAX. I went to see it with another flatmate who was too cheap to go for IMAX so we made do.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

Mickeroo wrote: »
    i loved it second time round ( loved it the first time too mind!), well worth a second watch.

+1
    Saw it again last week on its last day in Cineworld, liked it even more the second time. Felt like this guy coming out of the cinema:
    http://youtu.be/dPL05Ffu_qg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

I'm sorely tempted to see it again. My flatmate keeps raving about IMAX. I went to see it with another flatmate who was too cheap to go for IMAX so we made do.

The tight git. Why didn't you go on your own?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

I watched it twice in the cinema and enjoyed it just as much as the first time,picked up some stuff I missed from the first time.
    Bane really grew on me in the movie,he was class.

I saw it twice and enjoyed it more the second time, there was stuff I felt overly critical of first time round and more I picked up on. I'd go again if I could see it in IMAX though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Curse Ireland and our lack of IMAX.

I would have thought Dublin would have one, at the very least.

H. H. Asquith

I would have thought Dublin would have one, at the very least.

It used to be it closed, back when the format wasn't as widely used for theatrical films mostly nature docs and science stuff, and the very occasional movie. typical now when the format is being used more we don't have one, or a proper one at least. was anyone ever in the old IMAX? was it a proper one or scaled down?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I liked it in general. I don't think it held a candle to TDK though. I actually thought it was the weakest of the three (which, considering how stellar the other two are, isn't a bad thing). Bane wasn't nearly as imposing as The Joker for all his physical size. Every time the joker was on screen you were on tenterhooks. I never read the comics (Apart from the one-offs like The Dark Knight, Killing Joke, Year One etc) and my knowledge of Batman came from the excellent 90's animated series. But even so, I copped Talia very quickly. I just couldn't figure out the reasoning behind why her character was there until about 45 mins in or so when it clicked with me who she was. I thought the use of such a high profile actor for what, on the surface, seemed to be just a love interest role got me thinking about another reason she was there. I thought it should have gone to a lesser high-profile actress as that would not have raised suspicions about her.

The only thing I REALLY didn't like was the whole "Oh, you should go by your first name "Robin"" bit. I mean we all knew who he was straight away, we didn't need to be beaten over the head with the obvious stick. As soon as he told Wayne he knew who he was (Which was my favourite scene in the movie). I thought Levitt was fantastic in it. Easily my favourite in it.

My own thoughts on the trilogy?

Batman Begins: 8
    The Dark Knight: 9/9.5
    The Dark Knight Rises: 7/7.5

Advertisement