Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - seen thread *SPOILERS WITHIN* See Mod Warning in first post

Options
  • 18-07-2012 9:17pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭

So since we're going to have the first few local viewers filtering out of Savoy One in the next hour or two, time to split off the discussion.

Anyone who hasn't seen the film, this ain't the thread for you. Spoilers ahoy. Don't say you weren't warned!

Everyone who has seen it, no need for spoiler tags from post 90 onwards.

Anyway, discuss away.

Mod Warning:

This thread is for discussing The Dark Knight Rises, it is not a platform for snide remarks or outright attacks on other posters just because they have a differing opinion. We have already deleted some posts, but from here on in anything off topic may result in an infraction or ban. Remember, this is just a film we're discussing and this film has received a mix of reviews from critics and cinema goers. Respect one another's opinions regardless of whether you agree with them!

Thank you

Further Mod Warning:

Accusing posters of being 'fanboys' or 'trolls' will be cause for instant infractions or bans. Please report any posts you believe to be purposefully inflammatory.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I'd like to say that for anyone that gets to see this film before Friday, I hate you.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,193 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

^^What he said! :pac: I look forward to reading and participating in the heated debates that I have no doubt will be happening in here. Won't be seeing this until sometime next week I reckon. See y'all then!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I know people going to a 5am showing before work - nutcases. I will be going at a sensible hour after work on Friday, if one of them so mentions any spoilers to me they will rue the day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Hey, I resent that nutcase remark :P I'm just going along for the sheer novelty of it all, should be a memorable cinema experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I have seen this, am I allowed to talk freely about it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

This is relevant (doesn't contain spoilers).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

That was fantastic - no one will be disappointed - that is all :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭coolisin

Loved, it's a more dramatic dark knight.

I'd actually loved to have seen what ledgers joker could have played in this movie, ala the computer games. With his own area.

It the third different batman movie Nolan has given us!

The overly harsh reviews are nit picking if you ask me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

smcgiff wrote: »
    That was fantastic - no one will be disappointed - that is all :-)

I think I'll disagree with that.

It definitely was a different film, I'll give it that. I'm too tired now to go through my thoughts on the film, perhaps that's why I didn't enjoy it as much as I should have but I just found the whole thing a little bit on the dull side.
    One thing I will ask is what was the point in not setting off the nuclear weapon straight away instead of all that faffing around. If you're going to obliterate everyone anyways it just seems like so much effort to try and instigate a social uprising.

Also, well done Han Zimmer for churning out another dull Batman score. I thought this one might be a little different and unique based on the chanting thing he was trying out but yet again it always seemed to come close to greatness before petering out into nothing (then again I'm not a major Zimmer fan).

I might give it a second viewing at a time when I'm more awake but I don't think my opinion will change all that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

I absolutely loved every second of this! The parts taken from the comic books were fantastic!! I was almost out of my seat a few times! :D

Roll on this evening for round 2.

• Advertisement

It definitely was a different film, I'll give it that. I'm too tired now to go through my thoughts on the film, perhaps that's why I didn't enjoy it as much as I should have but I just found the whole thing a little bit on the dull side.
    One thing I will ask is what was the point in not setting off the nuclear weapon straight away instead of all that faffing around. If you're going to obliterate everyone anyways it just seems like so much effort to try and instigate a social uprising.

Also, well done Han Zimmer for churning out another dull Batman score. I thought this one might be a little different and unique based on the chanting thing he was trying out but yet again it always seemed to come close to greatness before petering out into nothing (then again I'm not a major Zimmer fan).

I might give it a second viewing at a time when I'm more awake but I don't think my opinion will change all that much.

In relation to the spoiler part,
    this had to do with the speech Bane gave to Wayne in the prison, about people having hope to truly feel peril and despair.

I also enjoyed the soundtrack, was a bit over the top in parts but it fit well.

To me as well, I really loved the ending, and how it was all summed up and also leaving open possibilities for a new run of films, quite liked that. And LIAM NEESON!!!!!

Overall I really loved this film, not sure where I would put in in relation to the other 3, but as a trilogy, it has to be one of the strongest there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,374 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Absolutely loved how they left it open for a new run of movies, especially as comments from Bruce/Batman to Blake through the movie are priming him to take over (PLEASE DO IT!) but I thought the very end could have been done better. Shouldn't have shown Bruce/Selena - should have just had the nod and smile from Alfred.

Also, what is Fox and the engineers examining at the end, is it the Bat that was used? Would it not have been obliterated by the nuke blowing up about 20 feet from it? I kinda wonder if the ending was supposed to be Bruce actually sacrificing himself and the ending we got was forced by studio execs
    Gintonious wrote: »
    In relation to the spoiler part,
    this had to do with the speech Bane gave to Wayne in the prison, about people having hope to truly feel peril and despair.

I also enjoyed the soundtrack, was a bit over the top in parts but it fit well.

To me as well, I really loved the ending, and how it was all summed up and also leaving open possibilities for a new run of films, quite liked that. And LIAM NEESON!!!!!

Overall I really loved this film, not sure where I would put in in relation to the other 3, but as a trilogy, it has to be one of the strongest there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Agreed. Very dull. For such a long movie it seems strangely rushed the net result being it was a bit of a mess. It'll make a ton of money though, probably become the highest grossing movie of all time, but thats more due to the power of hype than any kind of substance. I normally love chris nolans films and cant wait for him to get back to making his own, non-franchise related movies, but this just wasnt for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

Absolutely loved how they left it open for a new run of movies, especially as comments from Bruce/Batman to Blake through the movie are priming him to take over (PLEASE DO IT!) but I thought the very end could have been done better. Shouldn't have shown Bruce/Selena - should have just had the nod and smile from Alfred.

Also, what is Fox and the engineers examining at the end, is it the Bat that was used? Would it not have been obliterated by the nuke blowing up about 20 feet from it? I kinda wonder if the ending was supposed to be Bruce actually sacrificing himself and the ending we got was forced by studio execs
    ****, never though about how Fox was examining the plane.
    Also, not a bit of stubble on the police when they emerged from underground
    :pac:

Dancor wrote: »
    ****, never though about how Fox was examining the plane.
    Also, not a bit of stubble on the police when they emerged from underground
    :pac:
    I think the plane being examined was just another one in the armory, not the actual one of course.

I kinda wonder if the ending was supposed to be Bruce actually sacrificing himself and the ending we got was forced by studio execs
    Have you read The Dark Knight Returns?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Why do we need to use spoiler tags in a "Seen" thread?

Anyway, IMDb is currently full of people who believe that the film's ending is an Inception-like dream scenario. They're idiots, obviously.

Mr Mod says to use them for a couple of days in case someone accidently opens the thread.

Inception?? Utter fools!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,374 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Have you read The Dark Knight Returns?

Nope.

Nope.

OK.

Well, considering that Chris takes ideas from the comics so often,
    I think the end of The Dark Knight Rises is based on the ending of The Dark Knight Returns, could be wrong. Not directly just the faking his death part.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Then there would be no need for the movie :D With that said, some of procrastination was to get revenge on the League of Shadow traitor i.e. batman

I thought Nolan managed to include a significant amount of back story (always a problem with super hero movies) and STORY in general, as well as some great action. The main villain was just superb! Genuinely scary :o

I don't understand some of the negative reviews received so far.

In relation to the ending,
    I don't think its an inception style thing at all, Alfred only met Catwoman at the party, and even at that he didn't know her as catwoman, so why would she be sitting there at the end.

Im pretty sure its not an inception style finish, although i can see why some people will think that.

I was thinking it was another plane they were looking at, i didnt think the plane was as black as the one batman was in.

Interesting thoughts on the ending, but no idiots on IMDB.
    Nolan "killed" bruce wayne was a great way to end his time in charge of the francise

OK.

Well, considering that Chris takes ideas from the comics so often,
    I think the end of The Dark Knight Rises is based on the ending of The Dark Knight Returns, could be wrong. Not directly just the faking his death part.

I think you'll find that he takes his ideas not from Batman comics but from Duck Tales comics :D

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/blinkuldhc/news/?a=21055

I think you'll find that he takes his ideas not from Batman comics but from Duck Tales comics :D

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/blinkuldhc/news/?a=21055

Haha very good! :D
    Another thing I noticed, I'm pretty sure she's not referred to as Catwoman even once! Only as a cat burgalar and Selina Kyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,663 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is John Blake suppose to be Robin or take over from Bruce as Batman

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is John Blake suppose to be Robin or take over from Bruce as Batman
    I loved the reference to it at the end, fantastic and classic Nolan.

I also think that he was priming him throughout the film for it, personally it was the cherry on top.

Gintonious wrote: »
    I loved the reference to it at the end, fantastic and classic Nolan.

I also think that he was priming him throughout the film for it, personally it was the cherry on top.

I think that
    they're leaving the door open for a grounded Justice League movie (I know how ridiculous that sounds) with Henry Cavill as Superman, Levitt as Batman and a few but not all of the rest. I think WB will do the opposite of Avengers and rather than having standalone films to build to a team movie, go into the team movie after Man of Steel and produce standalones from there. Better to keep the Levitt character than a full-on reboot, especially since the good but not great reception for The Amazing Spider-Man.

I like thinking they are setting up for nightwing with the robin character, or batman beyond style one.
    Loved the nod to the cartoon with having daggett.

Its was an interesting ending

• Advertisement

Another thing I didn't like was the re-dub of Bane in the opening scene, having seen and heard him from the prologue at Christmas, I thought he sounded dire with the new voice over, for the rest of the film he sounded great though.

Advertisement