Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - seen thread *SPOILERS WITHIN* See Mod Warning in first post

Options
1919293949597»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Bane isn't a revolutionary. He doesn't care about the poor or giving power back to the people. That was all bullish*t! He was a terrorist, pure and simple. He merely passed himself off as a revolutionary in order to carry out his true goal: poisoning the soul of Gotham's citizens before blowing them all to smithereens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

a/tel wrote: »
    Dunno has this been raised already here but i wonder what happened the Batpod after Selina Kyle had finished with it.
    Did she take it with her as a souvenir????. Or was it left for Blake??.

Now that's zooming in on something that has very little consequence for the whole film!

RE: politics and history I did feel they examined it, but only lightly. These are light night ramblings/musings so forgive inconsistencies.

Bane detonates Gotham's bridges and cuts off any access to the now-beleaguered city. Then the police force is trapped underground thus largely eliminating law-protection. Then Bane releases the prisoners of Blackgate into the city, promising to give Gotham back to the people. Gotham became an unofficial "city state", harking back to the old days of history, such as Rome or Florence, Sparta or Athens.

Bane's promise to relinquish control of Gotham from the rulers, wealthy, and bureaucratic falls flat on its face. Bane kickstarts a revolution but remains largely in control setting up preposterous show trials and his people roam the streets in Batmobiles (or should it be Bane-mobiles?) and they tote a four megaton nuclear bomb around ready to detonate if the rules (paradoxical as the rules don't exist in an anarchic state) are broken. Though, to give credit to the state, Bane isn't totally in control like a dictator would but he's there, operating in the shadows and rooting out those who oppose him, preserving his iron fisted hold on the city while allowing the people to "take back Gotham".

The people haven't received Gotham in a 'peaceful' manner, Bane has turned Gotham into an anarchic yet an autocratic brutal state. People fight, are executed or "exiled", and the people's hope largely diminishes for some months. Bar the Blackgate prisoners, Bane's sidekicks and the baddie himself, the people haven't gotten squat. They rely on aid from the outside world and live in fear. They haven't gotten the city back.

Nolan has done a pretty good job in this regard, we get a feel for the dramatic shift in the standard of life for Gotham's inhabitants and the oppression they feel as well as Bane's initial frightening wave of terror (Stalinesque?). This makes the justice aspect so much more evident and it has risen i.e Batman. But the city state notion is confusing itself and it becomes paradoxical and self-defeating. But maybe that's Bane's intention, create a new method of a city state's ways? A Bane model perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I like his voice, the impact on popular culture its made can't be denied, its certainly the most fun film voice to imitate I've come across in a while anyway :D

I dunno, I think people are laughing at it, and not with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Any release date for the Ultimate Edition boxset of the trilogy ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

End of the year sometime, I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I dunno, I think people are laughing at it, and not with it.
    You're wrong.

• Site Banned Posts: 5 NatashaSS

Bane's voice was class, loved it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

End of the year sometime, I think.

Will they include commentary tracks ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Jumboman wrote: »
    Will they include commentary tracks ?

from what I've read it's just a repackage of the movies no new transfers no commentary tracks this is what you will get according to Amazon
    Exclusive villain prints from Mondo
    Reproductions of the Tumbler (from Batman Begins), Bat-Pod (from The Dark Knight) and Bat (from The Dark Knight Rises)
    Large 48-page photo book of the trilogy
    Over 90 minutes of new special features--The Fire Rises: The Creation and Impact of The Dark Knight Trilogy;Christopher Nolan and Richard Donner: A Conversation
    A letter from director Christopher Nolan

This will be re-released again in a few times I would hope at some stage we get new transfers and commentary tracks but somehow doubt that Nolan will do them.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

from what I've read it's just a repackage of the movies no new transfers no commentary tracks this is what you will get according to Amazon
    Reproductions of the Tumbler (from Batman Begins), Bat-Pod (from The Dark Knight) and Bat (from The Dark Knight Rises)
    Over 90 minutes of new special features--The Fire Rises: The Creation and Impact of The Dark Knight Trilogy;Christopher Nolan and Richard Donner: A Conversation

This will be re-released again in a few times I would hope at some stage we get new transfers and commentary tracks but somehow doubt that Nolan will do them.

Richard Donner? interesting choice of someone to feature on an extra

• Advertisement

The current blu ray transfers look fine to me. I dont see why you would need new transfers for a recent trilogy ?

First two need new transfers lots of Edge Enhancement used on The Dark Knight, Batman Begins picture is soft.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

First two need new transfers lots of Edge Enhancement used on The Dark Knight, Batman Begins picture is soft.

Is there a good article on this? Although I found Batman Begins not being too huge a jump DVD-> Blu, I thought TDK's picture was glorious.

The 70mm scenes in TDK are fantastic. The 35mm stuff is the problem. They aren't bad just not as good as they should be. It seems they took the transfer from the IMAX Digital DCP, which I assume was heavily tinkered with by IMAX.

Nolan annoys me. He makes a big song and dance about celluloid being better than digital and doing everything chemically instead of with a digital intermediate, yet still happily hands his films over IMAX or the de-graining monkeys in WB's home video department and lets them do as they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Could have been out of his hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The 70mm scenes in TDK are fantastic. The 35mm stuff is the problem. They aren't bad just not as good as they should be. It seems they took the transfer from the IMAX Digital DCP, which I assume was heavily tinkered with by IMAX.

Nolan annoys me. He makes a big song and dance about celluloid being better than digital and doing everything chemically instead of with a digital intermediate, yet still happily hands his films over IMAX or the de-graining monkeys in WB's home video department and lets them do as they like.

Yeah you'd think someone who is all about the cinematic experience and shooting stuff to look as good as possible would want more control and say so over how it looks on home cinemas.

Could have been out of his hands.

The IMAX remastering probably was out of his hands. But he could have rejected it and done his own transfer. And for the Blu-ray he could definitely have insisted that WB take the transfer from one of the 35mm or digital prints he supervised. I’m not a big fan of the alternating aspect ratios anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Is there a good article on this? Although I found Batman Begins not being too huge a jump DVD-> Blu, I thought TDK's picture was glorious.

i'm still convinced WB were to their old tricks of putting out substandard products to push the a new format. BB is okay on DVD, while the TDK transfer is very poor. Harry Potter DVDs are similarly gimped.

I'll probably have to buy this for the extras as I think its the ultimate Superhero movies ever made, I also recommend the Art and Making of the Dark Knight Trilogy, which is a must for any fan. I think this goes on sale here on Friday I'll be checking out HMV on Friday morning to see what price point it's going to sell at.
    I'm sure at some point in the future Nolan and Phister will re-visit the prints and give us decent transfers until then Warner's will continue to screw fans with repackaged movies with some additional content that we must have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I'll probably have to buy this for the extras as I think its the ultimate Superhero movies ever made, I also recommend the Art and Making of the Dark Knight Trilogy, which is a must for any fan. I think this goes on sale here on Friday I'll be checking out HMV on Friday morning to see what price point it's going to sell at.
    I'm sure at some point in the future Nolan and Phister will re-visit the prints and give us decent transfers until then Warner's will continue to screw fans with repackaged movies with some additional content that we must have.

That book is already sold in Ireland in the Dubray Bookstore for nearly a year now. I bought it for between €40 & €48 in the Dun Laoghaire outlet so it is not cheap any means.

I would still agree with you & say it is still a brilliant read though.

That ultimate box set though is huge but ad I already have the three DVD's already; it would be a waste of money to even buy them. If I didn't have them; I'll buy it for the Hot Wheels Cars alone. They are of superb quality.

The book on Amazon is £16.49 sterling. If you have the DVD's you should surely get the Blu-Ray version, also I've no real interest in the gimmicky Hot Wheel collectables, I would much prefer a standard size case that would fit alongside my Blu-Rays.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Hopefully able to get my hands on this. The new docus sound great. Might be time to watch these again :)

Fecking €90 in HMV, couldn't justify it as it works out approx. €65 on Amazon.co.uk so I will be going that way!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Just pre-ordered my copy.looking forward to watching them all again.
    69 euro with amazon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 Hank Scorpio Cream

Why is Gotham New York in this? Why couldn't Gotham look like it did in begins?

Why is Gotham New York in this? Why couldn't Gotham look like it did in begins?

New York and Chicago stood in for parts of Gotham in Begins as well. The Narrows was the only part of the city created for the film. We don’t see the Narrows or similar locations in the sequels because I think Nolan was unhappy with how the sound stage stuff turned out. He wanted Gotham to be a modern city in a wider world that was recognisably our own and not the claustrophobic village it was in the Burton films.

Advertisement