Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Significant Snow Risk Friday 7th/Saturday 8th January discussion

• 04-01-2011 7:33am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

I did ellude briefly yesterday that there was a small risk of significant snow during Friday and Saturday. It's still a relatively small but increasing risk that there will be a significant snowfall in many areas or at the very least snow for a time. Please keep this thread for discussion on this as it could be a disruptive snowfall. Most models are playing up the risk of disruption this morning but this could change.

Basically the country will find itself sandwiched between two different air masses - mild to the South, cold to the North - it's been many years since we had a frontal snow event in Ireland and so if one does occur it could be disruptive. More later...:)

Have to watch this one closely ;)

UW96-21.GIF?04-06

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Vudgie

I see that MET Eireann are now suggesting that most of the country could see snow on Friday from the south with up to 10cms in places and possible drifts due to winds.

One to watch alright, though with the potential fluctuations in temps and the potential for rain around it is probably unlikely that we will see the dramatic freezing of snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Snowman10

We dont want snow. Too much hassle the last time and i've only got my water back from frozen pipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Lol. Think a change of name might be called for there Snowman. ;)

I doubt coastal areas of the East including Dublin will see snow from this if the wind is directly off the irish sea.
    The cold pool is simply not cold enough for to modify that kind of mixing.
    10 miles inland in leinster and above 500ft asl,it's a different story entirely

It could well be a full snow event for much of inland ulster and all of Connaught and North munster.
    I'd rule out snow from any of the get go in coastal waterford and cork also and maybe further north of there exposed to an onshore wind if it's Easterly.

One to watch alright.At this stage it's a significant chance which may reduce or increase depending on developments.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

That is a possibility in coastal areas. But atm on the GFS and UKMO the minimum requirements are satisfied for sea snow on Friday that is sub zero dew points and 850hpa temperatures starting out at sub -8C in the Irish sea (for a time on the GFS, more so on the UKMO). Inland it's less marginal as usual but we don't know yet what the wind direction will actually be and the whole lot could still miss us enitrely. Unlikely but possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I doubt coastal areas of the East including Dublin will see snow from this if the wind is directly off the irish sea.
    The cold pool is simply not cold enough for to modify that kind of mixing.
    10 miles inland in leinster and above 500ft asl,it's a different story entirely

It could well be a full snow event for much of inland ulster and all of Connaught and North munster.
    I'd rule out snow from any of the get go in coastal waterford and cork also and maybe further north of there exposed to an onshore wind if it's Easterly.

One to watch alright.At this stage it's a significant chance which may reduce or increase depending on developments.

Just wondering would this be potentially like the 10 Jan fall last year which came from the South? That was pegged as marginal all that week but eventually came good for some. In fact, unusually, it gave good falls to South Munster (where it was always called as a sleet event by ME) but fell as rain on East coast.

Agreed.
    I don't like a surface feed off the irish sea though when theres no surface cold advection to feed upon.
    So I'm sticking with rain on coasts below 150 metres up to 10 miles inland,like the sunday event at the end of the january 10 spell.

Thats if the system comes up,yes of course.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Such a shame the M2 bouy is down. Will feel like being only partially sighted!

Just wondering would this be potentially like the 10 Jan fall last year which came from the South? That was pegged as marginal all that week but eventually came good for some. In fact, unusually, it gave good falls to South Munster (where it was always called as a sleet event by ME) but fell as rain on East coast.
    Similar but different.
    This system has to meet the cold air to turn to snow and it's unlikely to be meeting it as early as cork unlike that sunday jan 2010 event..
    The colder air is going to be further north.
    It certainly won't meet it in cork city.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Such a shame the M2 bouy is down. Will feel like being only partially sighted!
    Doc,theres a crucial,very crucial difference here.
    There are no snow fields over the UK south of the north of England or there won''t be .
    In january 2010 there were and the surface feed was coming over that freezing area before being modified over the irish sea.Even with that freezing surface air then,the mixing caused sleet and rain on the coast.This is more marginal that that.
    This time if the wind is East snow is going to have a hard time making it to the ground at sea level near to the coast.

• Advertisement

Similar but different.
    This system has to meet the cold air to turn to snow and it's unlikely to be meeting it as early as cork unlike that sunday jan 2010 event..
    The colder air is going to be further north.
    It certainly won't meet it in cork city.

I would not go along with that

UW72-7.GIF?04-06

For a frontal event it's sub -4c that is the crucial marker esspecially for inland snow. Sub -4 and a frontal system over your head is highly likely to be snow and there are other reasons why that is the case whereas in a showery setup it's not as likely and the most major one I suppose is evaporative cooling. That can change rain to snow in supprising places where it would not have been expected and it's happened loads of times in the past in Ireland. Frontal snow events do happen in Ireland and they have happened in my area right on the coast - if we look at it in a broader sense, yes this setup could be marginal but do we have a better shot this time then maybe other years? Id imagine so given what we have already had this year. It is extraordinary considering the last 3 winters have been so cold that there has not been a decent prolonged snow event yet. Remember SST's are below average now aswell and that has to be taken into account. We are due a significant snowfall. Maybe Friday and Saturday who knows....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭thomasj

darkman2 wrote: »

better shot this time then maybe other years? Id imagine so given what we have already had this year. ....

:D

I would not go along with that

For a frontal event it's sub -4c that is the crucial marker esspecially for inland snow. Sub -4 and a frontal system over your head is highly likely to be snow and there are other reasons why that is the case whereas in a showery setup it's not as likely and the most major one I suppose is evaporative cooling. That can change rain to snow in supprising places where it would not have been expected and it's happened loads of times in the past in Ireland. Frontal snow events do happen in Ireland and they have happened in my area right on the coast - if we look at it in a broader sense, yes this setup could be marginal but do we have a better shot this time then maybe other years? Id imagine so given what we have already had this year. It is extraordinary considering the last 3 winters have been so cold that there has not been a decent prolonged snow event yet. Remember SST's are below average now aswell and that has to be taken into account. We are due a significant snowfall. Maybe Friday and Saturday who knows....
    So the rain in Dublin on that sunday event in january 2010 was falling at -4c 850's or higher was it?
    Show me a historical chart for that day that tells me that and I'll except your point.

From experience,I've never seen it to snow on the East coast with a weather front coming up from the south in Easterly winds when 2 of the following things are not in place already and those are,an established surface cold pool over Ireland and a freezing surface air feed in that easterly flow from Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

Accuweather doesn't have the same predictions:confused:
    Does anyone know if it is likely the airport will be affected again?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Vudgie wrote: »
    I see that MET Eireann are now suggesting that most of the country could see snow on Friday from the south with up to 10cms in places and possible drifts due to winds.

One to watch alright, though with the potential fluctuations in temps and the potential for rain around it is probably unlikely that we will see the dramatic freezing of snow.

I think they have a subscription to Darkman2s threads.

So the rain in Dublin on that sunday event in january 2010 was falling at -4c 850's or higher was it?
    Show me a historical chart for that day that tells me that and I'll except your point.

From experience,I've never seen it to snow on the East coast with a weather front coming up from the south in Easterly winds when 2 of the following things are not in place already and those are,an established surface cold pool over Ireland and a freezing surface air feed in that easterly flow from Britain.

BB, my dear fellow, you do have a short memory. :p I remember that "event" and I was very clear at the time that it would only snow on the coast for a short time...I was very specific about it because I was having an argument with Su Campu. I was right. I saw the snow - the guy who works in Dublin port and posts here saw the snow. That was directly off the sea and upper temperatures were more marginal then what is currently forcast (subject to change!) but it did not last long as the transition was too fast because of the orientation of the LP at the time.

Im fairly sure this was it here but not 100% on the 13th of January

Rrea00120100113.gif

Rrea00220100113.gif

You may well be right. But I would not rule anything in or out yet as it's still a few days off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Latest GFS rolling out now. Those banking on a countrywide snow event should not get to excited just yet. Only the highest ground in the southern half of the country will see any snow while any snow would be confined to higher ground again further north. That is according to the GFS and ECM. UKMO is much more favourable for snowfall.

Darkman may be correct but some shifting south of cold air needs to occur first. This may happen in the next run or two.

ps...the use of the word 'significant' in the post thread is a little premature. If it turns out that snow doesn't fall then boards.ie weather forum will look silly. Of course, if it does happen then Darkman becomes King and I but a mere jester:)

You may well be right. But I would not rule anything in or out yet as it's still a few days off.
    You are pretty much raising Dublin snow lovers hopes by discounting the lack of a freezing surface cold pool overland and a freezing surface advection from the UK.
    Both of which were present on that sunday event and yet produced rain [yes with a short period of wet snow thanks to those two items being present]

The lack of those two things make coastal snow a big ask from a warm system moving up from the south with only cold uppers[and not very cold only -8c] to help.

6z GFS going for something lighter in terms of snow. The cold air gets somewhat further South and no issue with the minimum criteria for snow either inland or on most of the Irish Sea on Friday afternoon.

Sorry for using this chart - I know it is for France but it is the highest resolution we have for the GFS

81-574.GIF?04-0

All these charts will change back and forth for the next couple of days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Smokey Bear

Here is a 1km GFS for Dublin if its any help also available a 27km North atlantic option

http://www.belgingur.is/vedurkort/

(On Region tab click Dublin 1km to see GFS forecast or North Atlantic 27km GFS forecast)

Smokey Bear

• Advertisement

Here is a 1km GFS for Dublin if its any help also available a 27km North atlantic option

http://www.belgingur.is/vedurkort/

(On Region tab click Dublin 1km to see GFS forecast or North Atlantic 27km GFS forecast)

Smokey Bear

Thanks, never used that before. Having that high a resolution is fantastic. Only qualm is there is only temperature at ground level.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Is it just me or has Met Eireann totally lost the run of themselves - has Evelyn been allowed to type up the attached forecast published on the ME website this morning at 05.14am ? !! Very brave to publish the forecast below given how far out we are...........

A sharp frost will develop over much of the country on Thursday night. A band of rain will develop in the southwest early in the night and gradually spread northwards to all areas overnight and through Friday morning. At the moment it looks like it will fall as sleet and snow over much of the country and there could be up to 10 cm of snow in many areas with possible drifting due to fresh, gusty easterly winds

My own experience of any system coming from the south is that it will fall as rain so I would take the above with a very large pinch of salt :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

derekon wrote: »
    Is it just me or has Met Eireann totally lost the run of themselves - has Evelyn been allowed to type up the attached forecast published on the ME website this morning at 05.14am ? !! Very brave to publish the forecast below given how far out we are...........

A sharp frost will develop over much of the country on Thursday night. A band of rain will develop in the southwest early in the night and gradually spread northwards to all areas overnight and through Friday morning. At the moment it looks like it will fall as sleet and snow over much of the country and there could be up to 10 cm of snow in many areas with possible drifting due to fresh, gusty easterly winds

i think she has allowed herself to be influenced by some of the posts about potential snow on here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

i think she has allowed herself to be influenced by some of the posts about potential snow on here

I welcome Met's new stance. At least they're warning the public of the potential and not nowcasting like they did on the last 2 events.

If the public realise it's potential snow, it's no harm. Better to be prepared than not.

As long as the public don't call for them to be burnt at the stake if nothing materialises though, which will probably happen :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,533 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

My own experience of any system coming from the south is that it will fall as rain so I would take the above with a very large pinch of salt :D

yes the perils of basing the forecast on one overnight run which will likely change by the next run. so i'd be very surprised if tomorrows update isn't completely different

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Netweathers experimental forecasts a couple of cm or so

uksnowdepth.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

flanzer wrote: »
    I welcome Met's new stance. At least they're warning the public of the potential and not nowcasting like they did on the last 2 events.

If the public realise it's potential snow, it's no harm. Better to be prepared than not.

As long as the public don't call for them to be burnt at the stake if nothing materialises though, which will probably happen :pac:

yeah i would agree if the rain wasnt coming from the south west, i'm no expert on this matter but the chances of snow from it has to be very very slim, and i would guess this forecast will be changed before thursday night and they will be burned at the stake ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

http://www.thejournal.ie/nationwide-blanket-of-snow-predicted-for-friday-2011-01/
    IT’S SNOW JOKE: Met Eireann is forecasting a new nationwide blanket of snow for this Friday.
    Temperatures have dropped noticeably in the past few days with temperatures expected to drop as low as -1 degrees Celsius in some parts tonight. While rain and sleet showers will break out over Connacht, Ulster, west Munster and north Leinster tomorrow, Friday is the day to make sure you are wrapped up warm. According to Met Eireann, a sharp frost will develop over much of the country on Thursday night and rain will spread countrywide on Friday morning.
    However, these showers are forecast “at the moment” to convert into sleet and snow all over the country and “there could be up to 10cm of snow in many areas” with “possible drifting” due to gusts from the east. Snow is expected to settle and roads will be icy but the good news is that Saturday will be less cold with temperatures reaching a high of 5 degrees Celsius.
    Sunday will not be a day of rest for the wintry weather though – the national meteorological service predicts that there will be “further wintry showers” to round off the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

Believe it or not, this was Gerry Murphy. Well, I have strong reason to believe that the person who writes the 5am update on met.ie reads the 755 radio 1 forecast, and he did read that forecast this morning. He also used very very similar words, if not the same words.

• Advertisement

Thanks, never used that before. Having that high a resolution is fantastic. Only qualm is there is only temperature at ground level.
    What does the 1km refer to in that chart?
    Surely not the temperature at circa 3000ft asl?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement