Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Significant Snow risk - Monday 29th/Tuesday 30th

• 27-03-2010 6:16pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

As in the other thread I was saying that this will have to be watched very closely and definately needs a dedicated thread at this stage. It looks certain at this stage that large parts of the UK will have some very disruptive snowfall on Tuesday and Ireland is likely to get some even to very low levels.

66_30.gif

The models are just firming up on the track of this depression but crucially Ireland is always on the cold side. Inland areas are most likely to see disruptive snowfall from Monday night and it will be exceptionally cold for the time of year on Tuesday with max temperatures of no more then 2 or 3C and sleet and snow too.

Rtavn662.png

This is probrably one of the most classic significant snow evolutions that Ireland can possibly get. The wind direction also means that Eastern coasts will also be at risk. So basically it will be raining up till Monday night quite widely (heavy rain) and then things will get wintry overnight and on Tuesday and disruption is probrably likely Tuesday morning.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

darkman2 wrote: »
    As in the other thread I was saying that this will have to be watched very closely and definately needs a dedicated thread at this stage. It looks certain at this stage that large parts of the UK will have some very disruptive snowfall on Tuesday and Ireland is likely to get some even to very low levels.

66_30.gif

The models are just firming up on the track of this depression but crucially Ireland is always on the cold side. Inland areas are most likely to see disruptive snowfall from Monday night and it will be exceptionally cold for the time of year on Tuesday with max temperatures of no more then 2 or 3C and sleet and snow too.

Rtavn662.png

This is probrably one of the most classic significant snow evolutions that Ireland can possibly get. The wind direction also means that Eastern coasts will also be at risk. So basically it will be raining up till Monday night quite widely (heavy rain) and then things will get wintry overnight and on Tuesday and disruption is probrably likely Tuesday morning.

walnut-ramp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

derekon wrote: »
    walnut-ramp.jpg

Major Ramp!! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

oh yes!! hurray yay!! its a major upgrade with temps being 3c on monday instead of 6c.. and snow further north so we get a chance then after that 5c maxes and loads of snow showers!! i love this it better stay and not downgrade!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

I would be more concerned at the possibility of flooding being the disruptive factor from this set up rather than from snow. Some prolonged rainfall in coastal counties of the south and east is forecast, with other areas also at risk depending on how far the occlusion penetrates north and how active it remains overland.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

One last snow day before i move back to the city, i hope so!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

Supercell wrote: »
    One last snow day before i move back to the city, i hope so!

Had enough of the hills have we? :D I don't blame you. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Had enough of the hills have we? :D I don't blame you. ;)

Its nice when you have an inch or so of fluffy stuff, but a foot of lead like slops is another matter.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I would be more concerned at the possibility of flooding being the disruptive factor from this set up rather than from snow. Some prolonged rainfall in coastal counties of the south and east is forecast, with other areas also at risk depending on how far the occlusion penetrates north and how active it remains overland.

I agree, I think the thread's title's a tad alarmist, and "very disruptive snowfall" a gross exaggeration. Maybe the mountains of Scotland and the Pennines yes, but I don't see much chance of any disruption here, some lying snow on mountains maybe, but at lower levels any snow, if any, will be short lived and will not stick. As DE said, the rainfall's going to be the problem.

Su Campu wrote: »
    I agree, I think the thread's title's a tad alarmist, and "very disruptive snowfall" a gross exaggeration. Maybe the mountains of Scotland and the Pennines yes, but I don't see much chance of any disruption here, some lying snow on mountains maybe, but at lower levels any snow, if any, will be short lived and will not stick. As DE said, the rainfall's going to be the problem.

awww here we go again.. everything being downgraded...:( 3c maxes i do think is cold enough for snow to lie and i do think the hills here are near certain to get some snow lying on them...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

I agree, I think the thread's title's a tad alarmist, and "very disruptive snowfall" a gross exaggeration.

The thread title is correct. If you bothered to read the OP you would notice I never mentioned "very disruptive snowfall" for Ireland.

Maybe the mountains of Scotland and the Pennines yes,

IMO this is wrong.

but I don't see much chance of any disruption here,

There is a risk of significant snowfall and when that happens there is always the risk of disruption.

some lying snow on mountains maybe, but at lower levels any snow, if any, will be short lived and will not stick. As DE said, the rainfall's going to be the problem.

Rainfall won't be a major issue even though it may be heavy at times.

That is my take on the charts at any rate.

• Advertisement

The thread title is correct. If you bothered to read the OP you would notice I never mentioned "very disruptive snowfall" for Ireland.

IMO this is wrong.

There is a risk of significant snowfall and when that happens there is always the risk of disruption.

Rainfall won't be a major issue even though it may be heavy at times.

That is my take on the charts at any rate.

its more than certain that snow will fall to low levels here anyway and lie most likely on the hills maybe giving them a couple of inches... but i didnt think we were likely to see snow lie on low levels is that what your saying? theres a high risk?

owenc wrote: »
    its more than certain that snow will fall to low levels here anyway and lie most likely on the hills maybe giving them a couple of inches... but i didnt think we were likely to see snow lie on low levels is that what your saying? theres a high risk?

I would not say it's a "high risk" risk but it is a risk. It depends on how things shape up in the next 48hrs - for accumulations at low levels this time of year you need heavy and persistent snow. That may happen but there is still time left for things to change either way.

I would not say it's a "high risk" risk but it is a risk. It depends on how things shape up in the next 48hrs - for accumulations at low levels this time of year you need heavy and persistent snow. That may happen but there is still time left for things to change either way.

yea we shall see but im expecting what ive been waiting for, for ages and that is sunshine in temps of around 4-5c and snow showers passing by... love that... and hopefully it comes and id say at some point the hill behind me will have a covering maybe a couple of inches... this year everytime it has snowed it has had at least a couple of inches and that is only from passing showers shows how much heavier the showers are up higher.. down here those showers would only really amount to couple of cms..

And if you'd bothered to read my post correctly you'd see that I never said you'd mentioned it for Ireland, it was for the UK. But you did say disruptive snowfall for Ireland, leaving out the "very" - which I don't agree with. That's my take on the situation.

I would not say it's a "high risk" risk but it is a risk. It depends on how things shape up in the next 48hrs - for accumulations at low levels this time of year you need heavy and persistent snow.

Downgrade already! ;)

rainfall's going to be the problem.

ECM tonight has a lot of rain falling over a 48hrs period over many parts of the east and south, heaviest towards the coast. This needs watching, not only for the flooding risk it poses for prone areas, but also it looks to be driven by a cold and sustained NE wind which will just add to the discomfort.

owenc wrote: »
    yea we shall see but im expecting what ive been waiting for, for ages and that is sunshine in temps of around 4-5c and snow showers passing by... love that... and hopefully it comes and id say at some point the hill behind me will have a covering maybe a couple of inches... this year everytime it has snowed it has had at least a couple of inches and that is only from passing showers shows how much heavier the showers are up higher.. down here those showers would only really amount to couple of cms..

I really hope for your sake that you see something Owen, but I honestly can't see it. Maybe later as the showery NW flow becomes established as you would be better placed that the rest of us mere folk.

And if you'd bothered to read my post correctly you'd see that I never said you'd mentioned it for Ireland, it was for the UK. But you did say disruptive snowfall for Ireland, leaving out the "very" - which I don't agree with. That's my take on the situation.

You said that I mentioned "very disruptive snowfall" without mentioning the UK. Thus you are implying I said that for Ireland which I did not. You really should read the OP before criticising.

Im quite confident with that forecast and have absolutely no issue with you disagreeing or anything like that. Life would be boring if we all agreed.

Downgrade already! ;)

No downgrade whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

I wouldn't wish floods on any part of the country, but our rivers and loughs could do with 'some' water, they are very low... we'll be in drought the way it is going.

I think Darkman's OP sentence, was open to a double meaning - that's the internet for you - I initially read it that Ireland is also likely to get some 'very disruptive snowfall', although I think he meant likely to also get some snow... easy mistake to make as it could mean either:

"the UK will have some very disruptive snowfall on Tuesday and Ireland is likely to get some even to very low levels."

Owen, you may be happy to know that I saw falling and lying snow in Britain in May a few years back... didn't last long, but where there's hope!

• Advertisement

snow ghost wrote: »
    I wouldn't wish floods on any part of the country, but our rivers and loughs could do with 'some' water, they are very low... we'll be in drought the way it is going.

and it looks like us westerners will continue to see drought conditions for another while yet with only measly amounts of rain forecast for the foreseeable. The land around would really benefit from some heavy, warm rainfall is just to spark some colour into it. Sick of looking at lifeless fields and anemic fauna now.

I am keeping an eye on this occlusion to see if it will penetrate its influence more northwards than is showing, but I am not hopeful yet.

You said that I mentioned "very disruptive snowfall" without mentioning the UK. Thus you are implying I said that for Ireland which I did not. You really should read the OP before criticising.

Darkman you're wrong, I never said that, for me you clearly said "very" applied to the UK, to which I said maybe on the Scottish mountains and Pennines. I never said you meant it for Ireland. Now let's not hijack the thread with to and froing. You reckon there'll be more snow than I do....end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

and it looks like us westerners will continue to see drought conditions for another while yet with only measly amounts of rain forecast for the foreseeable. The land around would really benefit from some heavy, warm rainfall is just to spark some colour into it. Sick of looking at lifeless fields and anemic fauna now.

I am keeping an eye on this occlusion to see if it will penetrate its influence more northwards than is showing, but I am not hopeful yet.

Deep,

I agree - I'd like to see some more green around... was down around lough mask recently and water levels are very low and its, I think in part, fed by what is supposidly the wettest part of Ireland - the Partry mountains.

The West could be a desert by Summer! :eek: Wonder how much camels cost?

snow ghost wrote: »

The West could be a desert by Summer! :eek: Wonder how much camels cost?

This drought is becoming notable alright, only yesterday whilst taking the dog on an afternoon walk I stumbled upon this site:

535569274_0c73f7c134.jpg?v=0

Didn't spot it until it was closing in on us. Got a quick snap and then we ran like boyo :eek: The west is the new Savanna.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Pangea

Thread title is a bit confusing alrite, is there a risk of significant snow, or is there a significant risk of snow :P
    Anyways dont forget that its nearly april , snow would melt by the time ur having your tea and toast, but lets hope I am wrong.
    Eagleton was saying you will have to go back to 1988 easter the last time we had such a wintry easter, hes nearly talking as if it already happened.
    Good man eagle. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

The last thing farmers want is snow and ice after the long cold winter and grass growth has been near non existent. The weather has been very costly but at least the cold shouldn't last too long, a cold snap more than anything else.

Just realised this winter I can see the Wicklow mountains from where I live, over some hills to the east of me.
    They kept their snow so it was waiting for more.....

gfs-2-60.png?18

Lots of snow.;) Night!

One thing is for sure - we're in for some beefy showers Tuesday and into Wednesday as cold advection takes place at mid/upper levels, with a sub -40°C pool of 500hPa air off to the northwest. Heavy falls of hail, rain and sleet, with some snow on mountains, and a good chance of lightning. Good mid/upper level shear may organise these showers into linear bands, with some strong convective gusts. May get a Level 1 from ESTOFEX's Monday night forecast.

One thing is for sure - we're in for some beefy showers Tuesday and into Wednesday as cold advection takes place at mid/upper levels, with a sub -40°C pool of 500hPa air off to the northwest. Heavy falls of hail, rain and sleet, with some snow on mountains, and a good chance of lightning. Good mid/upper level shear may organise these showers into linear bands, with some strong convective gusts. May get a Level 1 from ESTOFEX's Monday night forecast.

Yes and in the heavier snow showers they may even lay!! Maxes around 3-4c and cloud will help this.. Chart above yay!! Haha rain England:P I'll probably regret that!

• Advertisement

This is some serious stuff alright

60_30.gif

The UK is still expected to get snow on the GFS and on the other models btw as the front clears Eastward.

Latest high res starting to show the gradual progession to snow by Monday evening

10032918_2718.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement