Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Part 2 (Eagle says Polar Low) Wednesday/Thursday

• 06-01-2010 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

New Thread Here!

At least that's what Mr Eagleton just said after the 6.1 news>

A chance of significant (or was it prolonged ?) snow showers along the west coast possible tomorrow (depending on how close the polar low passes)

Yes, he did, he said "polar low" !

Happy polar low watching to all the west coast coolies :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

To be fair, I don't think he meant a classic 'polar low' i.e. short-lived intense low with storm-force circulating winds. I think he meant a low originating from polar / Artic regions.

Knowing my luck, the maritime influence may turn this into a sleety-wet snow event but you never know.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

so could it reach here met uk are saying for snow showers all day tomorrow for here!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

MayoForSam wrote: »
    To be fair, I don't think he meant a classic 'polar low' i.e. short-lived intense low with storm-force circulating winds. I think he meant a low originating from polar / Artic regions.

Doesn't matter, I'll take it as it comes :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

owenc wrote: »
    so could it reach here met uk are saying for snow showers all day tomorrow for here!

No, it was to brush down the western side of Ireland, with Connacht and West Munster at risk, possibly only for sleety stuff,with snow for areas further east and inland - perhaps into the midlands and western Ulster. But worth keeping an eye on.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

Interesting that while the latest HIRLAM Guidance (which Met Eireann use for T+48 and shorter term precip forecasts) models wintry showers into Northwestern areas early tomorrow morning, it is keeping the main area of low pressure out in the Atlantic at the moment.

This model was very accurate with today's evolution for Eastern areas, so it is only a risk that it may track further East than is currently being modelled. There will be showers initially, but these, as such, are not associated with the Main Low.

The other point to make is that this is not a classic polar low feature.

SA :)

• Advertisement

No, it was to brush down the western side of Ireland, with Connacht and West Munster at risk, possibly only for sleety stuff,with snow for areas further east and inland - perhaps into the midlands and western Ulster. But worth keeping an eye on.

well im sort of north central west ulster so could i get some lol the forecast seems to think so im about 25 miles from derry/londonderry whatver the hell you cal that place and about maybe 13 miles as the crow flies from there..

Snowaddict wrote: »
    Interesting that while the latest HIRLAM Guidance (which Met Eireann use for T+48 and shorter term precip forecasts) models wintry showers into Northwestern areas early tomorrow morning, it is keeping the main area of low pressure out in the Atlantic at the moment.

This model was very accurate with today's evolution for Eastern areas, so it is only a risk that it may track further East than is currently being modelled. There will be showers initially, but these, as such, are not associated with the Main Low.

The other point to make is that this is not a classic polar low feature.

SA :)

how do you get into this model?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

The NW,W and SW could get plenty of heavy snow from this tomorrow.

Dont forget you can track it as it moves down here :
    http://www.sat24.com/Region.aspx?country=eu&sat=ir&type=loop

I wonder will it give us a surprise and track a bit further east... :p;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Are the winds not suppose to remain north ? If they are tracking it on the below site does it not look like hitting alot more centrally ?

http://www.yr.no/satellitt/1.5941760

Opr

The NW,W and SW could get plenty of heavy snow from this tomorrow.

Dont forget you can track it as it moves down here :

I wonder will it give us a surprise and track a bit further east... :p;)

omg if that comes right over ulster we will be in for a hell of alot of snow how much snow can we expect out of this ! excited now!:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Pangea

Eagleton said risk of substantial snow for tomorrow, :D , couldnt believe when he said the words polar low.

opr wrote: »
    Are the winds not suppose to remain north ? If they are tracking it on the below site does it not look like hitting alot more centrally ?

http://www.yr.no/satellitt/1.5941760

Opr

Well, going by the BBC TV weather graphics (when the presenter actually moved out of the way of Ireland :rolleyes:) the snow belt was originally central - roughly from Donegal down towards Waterford, maybe 30 miles wide. But they shifted it further west in later bulletins,so itwas going from roughly Sligo down through Roscommon to Limerick and west of that line. It's not an exact science at all, as we have seen in the past few days, so there is margin for error, which could make a hell of a difference. I don't think there is a huge amount of potential snow in this mix - MT Cranium suggested 1-3 cm's so we shall see. Plus it may be sleety rain in some parts further west....

The models may paint a better picture later.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Yeah sounds pretty good for the west alright. I'd say some nervous radar/temp watching over the next 24 hours or so over there!

Good luck with it!

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Yeah sounds pretty good for the west alright. I'd say some nervous radar/temp watching over the next 24 hours or so over there!

Good luck with it!

And then we have Saturday/Sunday to see. There's an event every day at the moment lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

me too!!! delirious!!! even did a little snow dance when the Eagle mentioned the polar low.... :D:D:D

would give anything to wake up to scenes like BB has pics off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

ECM 12z run does have some precipitation for the west tomorrow, with some showers "impingining" (copyright Evelyn Cusack :D) on eastern coasts:

101253.jpg

Can't say I am overly confident about this projection, but sure we will see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Pangea wrote: »
    Eagleton said risk of substantial snow for tomorrow, :D , couldnt believe when he said the words polar low.
    well...polar low for parts of connaught :( playing safe again the buggers. west munster is in line to get prolonged precip (at least all the charts say so)

Weather Warning

Issued at 06 January 2010 - 19:37

Very frosty and icy conditions overnight with lying snow in eastern and southeastern counties and some pockets of freezing fog developing later in the night. Scattered sleet and snow showers will occur at times in coastal counties of the north and west with the danger of some more prolonged falls of snow in parts of Connaught for a time tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

at the waterfall and in my estate

21836_234707799505_519909505_334563.jpg
    21836_234704824505_519909505_334562.jpg
    21836_234703144505_519909505_334562.jpg
    21836_234701789505_519909505_334561.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Pangea

Im laughing at the change of the thread title , Im guessing that the mods didnt like the orginal : "The eagle has landed , Polar low on the west on thursday " , to "Eagle says polar low ":)
    Maybe if we change it to Polar low on the east you guys will believe it :P

beginning to think that's the way it is around here alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Took me (being kind of slow!!!) 20 minutes to realise that there was a new thread, i was refreshing the page of the old one wondering:confused: ''why is noone posting??''

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Also to note.

I don't expect a clear night tonight.

There looks like a band is going to move across the country before that shortwave hits the west tomorrow, in the early hours of the morning tomorrow.

Likely to die out as it pushes south but could give some heavy fall to NI before the other batch pushes in.

Tonights weak front

10010706_0612.gif

Tomorrows Low

10010712_0612.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Took me (being kind of slow!!!) 20 minutes to realise that there was a new thread, i was refreshing the page of the old one wondering:confused: ''why is noone posting??''

:D:D:D

:Dhaha, me too:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Im laughing at the change of the thread title , Im guessing that the mods didnt like the orginal : "The eagle has landed , Polar low on the west on thursday " , to "Eagle says polar low ":)

Nah didnt want to break up the the threads, as we would of had 2 runnings at the same time with a similar topic, so just merged this into the new Snow thread!

And plus a polar low is a wrong definition for whats moving down from the North :D

Also to note.

I don't expect a clear night tonight.

There looks like a band is going to move across the country before that shortwave hits the west tomorrow, in the early hours of the morning tomorrow.

Likely to die out as it pushes south but could give some heavy fall to NI before the other batch pushes in.

nice spot WC. I think the beginnings of that are appearing to the north
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

And then we have Saturday/Sunday to see. There's an event every day at the moment lol.

Yeah its great... trouble is every other element of life is getting somewhat sidetracked!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

And plus a polar low is a wrong definition for whats moving down from the North :D

Don't get all scientific on us now, he said "polar low" and that's that :pac:

Here is the GFS from 3.30pm today

If only...:rolleyes:

10010800_0612.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Is it just me or is this thread losing momentum??? Seemed to be the same at the tail end of the last one . . .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,449 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

-5 at Johnstown already . . .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement