Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

06-01-2010, 19:08   #1
peasant

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Part 2 (Eagle says Polar Low) Wednesday/Thursday

New Thread Here!

At least that's what Mr Eagleton just said after the 6.1 news>

A chance of significant (or was it prolonged ?) snow showers along the west coast possible tomorrow (depending on how close the polar low passes)

Yes, he did, he said "polar low" !

Happy polar low watching to all the west coast coolies

Last edited by Sleety_Rain; 06-01-2010 at 19:36.
Advertisement
06-01-2010, 19:11   #2
MayoForSam

To be fair, I don't think he meant a classic 'polar low' i.e. short-lived intense low with storm-force circulating winds. I think he meant a low originating from polar / Artic regions.

Knowing my luck, the maritime influence may turn this into a sleety-wet snow event but you never know.....
06-01-2010, 19:11   #3
owenc
Banned

so could it reach here met uk are saying for snow showers all day tomorrow for here!
06-01-2010, 19:13   #4
peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayoForSam View Post
To be fair, I don't think he meant a classic 'polar low' i.e. short-lived intense low with storm-force circulating winds. I think he meant a low originating from polar / Artic regions.
Doesn't matter, I'll take it as it comes
06-01-2010, 19:16   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
so could it reach here met uk are saying for snow showers all day tomorrow for here!
No, it was to brush down the western side of Ireland, with Connacht and West Munster at risk, possibly only for sleety stuff,with snow for areas further east and inland - perhaps into the midlands and western Ulster. But worth keeping an eye on.
Advertisement
06-01-2010, 19:18   #6
Snowaddict

''Polar Low''

Interesting that while the latest HIRLAM Guidance (which Met Eireann use for T+48 and shorter term precip forecasts) models wintry showers into Northwestern areas early tomorrow morning, it is keeping the main area of low pressure out in the Atlantic at the moment.

This model was very accurate with today's evolution for Eastern areas, so it is only a risk that it may track further East than is currently being modelled. There will be showers initially, but these, as such, are not associated with the Main Low.

The other point to make is that this is not a classic polar low feature.

SA
06-01-2010, 19:19   #7
owenc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by force eleven View Post
No, it was to brush down the western side of Ireland, with Connacht and West Munster at risk, possibly only for sleety stuff,with snow for areas further east and inland - perhaps into the midlands and western Ulster. But worth keeping an eye on.
well im sort of north central west ulster so could i get some lol the forecast seems to think so im about 25 miles from derry/londonderry whatver the hell you cal that place and about maybe 13 miles as the crow flies from there..
06-01-2010, 19:20   #8
owenc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowaddict View Post
Interesting that while the latest HIRLAM Guidance (which Met Eireann use for T+48 and shorter term precip forecasts) models wintry showers into Northwestern areas early tomorrow morning, it is keeping the main area of low pressure out in the Atlantic at the moment.

This model was very accurate with today's evolution for Eastern areas, so it is only a risk that it may track further East than is currently being modelled. There will be showers initially, but these, as such, are not associated with the Main Low.

The other point to make is that this is not a classic polar low feature.

SA
how do you get into this model?
06-01-2010, 19:21   #9
maquiladora

The NW,W and SW could get plenty of heavy snow from this tomorrow.

Dont forget you can track it as it moves down here :
http://www.sat24.com/Region.aspx?cou...t=ir&type=loop

I wonder will it give us a surprise and track a bit further east...
Advertisement
06-01-2010, 19:22   #10
opr

Quote:
Originally Posted by force eleven View Post
Are the winds not suppose to remain north ? If they are tracking it on the below site does it not look like hitting alot more centrally ?

http://www.yr.no/satellitt/1.5941760

Opr
06-01-2010, 19:26   #11
owenc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maquiladora View Post
The NW,W and SW could get plenty of heavy snow from this tomorrow.

Dont forget you can track it as it moves down here :
http://www.sat24.com/Region.aspx?cou...t=ir&type=loop

I wonder will it give us a surprise and track a bit further east...
omg if that comes right over ulster we will be in for a hell of alot of snow how much snow can we expect out of this ! excited now!
06-01-2010, 19:31   #12
Pangea

Eagleton said risk of substantial snow for tomorrow, , couldnt believe when he said the words polar low.
06-01-2010, 19:33   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by opr View Post
Are the winds not suppose to remain north ? If they are tracking it on the below site does it not look like hitting alot more centrally ?

http://www.yr.no/satellitt/1.5941760

Opr
Well, going by the BBC TV weather graphics (when the presenter actually moved out of the way of Ireland ) the snow belt was originally central - roughly from Donegal down towards Waterford, maybe 30 miles wide. But they shifted it further west in later bulletins,so itwas going from roughly Sligo down through Roscommon to Limerick and west of that line. It's not an exact science at all, as we have seen in the past few days, so there is margin for error, which could make a hell of a difference. I don't think there is a huge amount of potential snow in this mix - MT Cranium suggested 1-3 cm's so we shall see. Plus it may be sleety rain in some parts further west....

The models may paint a better picture later.
06-01-2010, 19:34   #14
Scubadevils
Did I dream, you dreamed about me?

Yeah sounds pretty good for the west alright. I'd say some nervous radar/temp watching over the next 24 hours or so over there!

Good luck with it!
(2) thanks from:
06-01-2010, 19:36   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felixdhc View Post
Yeah sounds pretty good for the west alright. I'd say some nervous radar/temp watching over the next 24 hours or so over there!

Good luck with it!
And then we have Saturday/Sunday to see. There's an event every day at the moment lol.
Thread Closed