Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭normanoffside

ASOT wrote: »
    Miller went 6 rounds with Cro Cop in K1 and wasnt near being finished either so I think his chin will stand up, but hes a sitting duck as said already imo because of his size.

Wasn't it two seperate 3 round fights?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Wasn't it two seperate 3 round fights?

Yeah two fights but still 6 rounds which was my point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Flyingsnowball

Will it be Joshua v fury/wilder next or is it possible for him to keep finding other fights and getting away with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Will it be Joshua v fury/wilder next or is it possible for him to keep finding other fights and getting away with it?

Joshua is going to have to get his IBF mandatory out of the way in Pulev. Reckon that'll be next after Miller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Flyingsnowball

Morrison J wrote: »
    Joshua is going to have to get his IBF mandatory out of the way in Pulev. Reckon that'll be next after Miller.

They need to organize boxing better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Think this is a great bout for both and a win win for all. Joshua gets introduced over here and Miller as the underdog gets to face the Champ. I saw Miller against Duhaupas and while he was 300 pounds he was mobile and given his kickboxing history he is not just a fat heavyweight. Granted he is limited and about as subtle as a bulldozer but this is a great opportunity for him.

Hard to see anything but a Joshua victory here but Miller will talk a great game to sell tickets. Incidentally the cheapest will be $106!

Will be very interesting to see how tickets go especially with Wilder-Fury expected to take place in NY two weeks beforehand. The prices are genuinely mental. I think Hearn may be overrating Joshua's pulling power a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Read these posts. Millar is always wide open, especially to the overhand or right cross. At top level that gets you ko’ed. I think he’ll do a bit of hugging and might sicken AJ with some body shots but AJ will break through and ko him with little fuss. 3/4 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,537 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

ASOT wrote: »
    Miller went 6 rounds with Cro Cop in K1 and wasnt near being finished either so I think his chin will stand up, but hes a sitting duck as said already imo because of his size.

Are you using that to see how he will do against AJ ?
    It was in Glory not K1 , Cro cop was 40 years old in that fight .
    Bredan Schaub ko'd Cro Cop four years before that , Cro cop been a spent force for over 10 years now ,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Are you using that to see how he will do against AJ ?
    It was in Glory not K1 , Cro cop was 40 years old in that fight .
    Bredan Schaub ko'd Cro Cop four years before that , Cro cop been a spent force for over 10 years now ,

The first fight was K1, second Glory but my point still stands he took some nice shots and wasn't wobbled. If you read my post AJ will beat him handy im not saying otherwise, but he has a chin. He was also juiced to the gills like he is now for Saturdays fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Miccoli

I think it's a better fight than a whyte rematch to be honest. I think whyte knows AJ would dispose of him quite easily hence why he turned down over £5 million. Be interesting to see if miller can keep his workrate up against an elite opponent and if he does indeed have a granite chin, if so could see it being a tough nights work for Joshua.

Anyone watch the millar press conference? Staged nonsense in my opinion.

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Anyone watch the millar press conference? Staged nonsense in my opinion.

I don't think it was staged at all,

Miller was just awful and you can tell exactly why he is called big baby ,
    He sounded like a 12 year old up there it was embarrassing .
    Even AJ at one point was asking him what age he was, American's just can't talk smack anymore

But there is no way Eddie would have been happy with AJ mask slipping , when he started going on about Miller mother paying him rent and blowing kisses you could see Rob McCracken hitting him his side telling him to stop.,

As Whyte has always said about AJ (and he knows him) Eddie has done a great job on getting Aj across as a clean cut imagine but he was pissed off last night and the real him was coming out,

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I see Millar has resorted to race baiting, labeling Joshua an Uncle Tom.

What a truly classless, disgusting, ignorant human being.

I see Millar has resorted to race baiting, labeling Joshua an Uncle Tom.

What a truly classless, disgusting, ignorant human being.

He's just an idiot really

One thing that had me laughing was him going on about his up bringing who care's!!!!!
    You got to get in there a win a fight it doesn't matter about where your from or what happened it depends on your boxing skills and how dame hard you train ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Yeah, when I watched Miller's antics i just thought you've lost already lad.
    Joshua not fazed one bit and not wasting energy on that ****e.
    Stranger things have happend but Joshua should be well able to make mincemeat of this clown.

Yeah it was embarrassing but as Joshua said afterwards part of the game. Frankly I was waiting for Miller to say he was doing it for da hood! Anyway he should be thankful for this opportunity as its a huge payday for him.

Cheapest ticket is $381 now. No chance! A ton tops.

pac_man wrote: »
    The were saying something about the Joshua fight have some sort of record in terms of ticket sales in the MSG. Is this ticket companies like stubhub taking the piss and creating a false demand? I could be wrong but I somehow don't think Joshua has the Ricky Hatton type fanbase in which people went in their droves over to the states.

I think you’re right. Millar is bound to have most of the support

pac_man wrote: »
    The were saying something about the Joshua fight have some sort of record in terms of ticket sales in the MSG. Is this ticket companies like stubhub taking the piss and creating a false demand? I could be wrong but I somehow don't think Joshua has the Ricky Hatton type fanbase in which people went in their droves over to the states.

Pre ticket sales yes it is true. It is MSG and the heavyweight division has hardly been inspiring here recently so not hard to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

Could they not get anyone better for Joe Joyce to fight than an outrageously out of shape Stiverne? He looks a fat mess! Joyce is 31 years old I think? Surely needs to be rapidly brought up in class if he's to achieve anything?

• Advertisement

Could they not get anyone better for Joe Joyce to fight than an outrageously out of shape Stiverne? He looks a fat mess! Joyce is 31 years old I think? Surely needs to be rapidly brought up in class if he's to achieve anything?

He’s 34 in september! He’s been a pro long enough now to step up a bit. I didn’t think stiverne would be back after Wilder

He’s 34 in september! He’s been a pro long enough now to step up a bit. I didn’t think stiverne would be back after Wilder

Stiverne was a career high weight against Wilder in his last fight and comes into Joyce 20lbs heavier :eek:

Joyce at a career high weight too. He's obviously in better shape than Stiverne but doesn't need to be so heavy either.

This has to be the slowest two heavyweights ever?

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

Stiverne was a career high weight against Wilder in his last fight and comes into Joyce 20lbs heavier :eek:

Joyce at a career high weight too. He's obviously in better shape than Stiverne but doesn't need to be so heavy either.

This has to be the slowest two heavyweights ever?
    Im just after reading this is a WBA title eliminator? For these two lads? Ah here!

Im just after reading this is a WBA title eliminator? For these two lads? Ah here!

I watched the video of thevweigh in. Joyce doesn’t need to be near that weight. 19 stones. What is his plan? Open some cans, do a lame summersault and get to fight a top 5-10 by the age of 37?

I watched the video of thevweigh in. Joyce doesn’t need to be near that weight. 19 stones. What is his plan? Open some cans, do a lame summersault and get to fight a top 5-10 by the age of 37?

I dont get it either. Since he has moved to Abel sanchez he has put on more than a stone.
    He was always a big, fit guy but speed was his downfall.
    How can getting heavier be helping him? He looks less fit that before now.

So Joyce got the ko. Meaningless enough but he’s got a name on the record now. Talk of taking on Charr next I think he wins that and then he must step up. In fairness that would still only be his 10th fight even if he is 34

I think Abel must have looked at him amd thought he isnt capable of getting fast enough to be a top heavy weight so decided the better option is to make him heavier to use the weight

I think Abel must have looked at him amd thought he isnt capable of getting fast enough to be a top heavy weight so decided the better option is to make him heavier to use the weight

All the reports say that Abel blocked a fight against Ortiz as he didn't think Joyce was ready. Makes a lot of sense to be fair.

I love watching Joyce as there's literally zero finesse and it's just walk forward and either knock the opponent out or be knocked out but he isn't beating any top 8-ish heavyweight. I'd actually love to see him fight David Price.

Morrison J wrote: »
    All the reports say that Abel blocked a fight against Ortiz as he didn't think Joyce was ready. Makes a lot of sense to be fair.

I love watching Joyce as there's literally zero finesse and it's just walk forward and either knock the opponent out or be knocked out but he isn't beating any top 8-ish heavyweight. I'd actually love to see him fight David Price.

That would be a very interesting match up.
    Ok the big three beat him.
    Parker, Whyte, Millar, breazeale, Hughie, Pulev or chisora? I’m not sure he beats any of those. Probably chisora but that’s 9. Oh Ortiz beats him too. Back to 10

• Advertisement

That would be a very interesting match up.
    Ok the big three beat him.
    Parker, Whyte, Millar, breazeale, Hughie, Pulev or chisora? I’m not sure he beats any of those. Probably chisora but that’s 9. Oh Ortiz beats him too. Back to 10

You're probably right. He's borderline top 10 I reckon. It's styles with Joyce I think. Anyone who stands in the pocket with him will probably get beat as Joyce seems durable and has stamina for days to go with his punch power. If I was Hughie Fury I'd be banging the table for that fight.

Advertisement