Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options
1463464465466467469»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Hrgovic told be ready to step in to bust up Usyk if Fury pulls out.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,531 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

And Hrgovic is probably the fight Usyk doesn't want. I think I'd be a close and great fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭squinn2912

I would worry for Fury that little bit more if he’s in good nick. In a way it shows how seriously he takes the threat of Usyk. It’s going to happen suddenly enough that Fury will turn into an old man overnight in the ring. A sharp and mobile version of him I think has far too much for Usyk as great as he is. If his reflexes are off and we have a strong willed referee then he will have a long night. Dealing with Wilder now looks like less of an achievement. Wlad was well over the hill. His legacy fights should have already happened. Joshua and now Usyk are still the big tests. Joshua didn’t really try to bully Usyk he fought his fight and then fought it a little bit better but didn’t look like winning. Fury will do whatever he has to to win and he will adapt during the fight… if he still has the legs. If his legs are gone that doesn’t mean he can’t win. It’s a great fight. The mounting questions that will be answered are class!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭selectamatic

To play devil's advocate here but from a physical perspective isn't Usyk maybe more in danger of aging overnight?

A cruiserweight who has bulked to heavyweight yet still tries to maintain the output of a middleweight. He can't keep this up forever.

Fury is/has been light of foot for a man his size and has good stamina. But he's not lightning fast and never has been it's just compared to the like of Valuev he's money Mayweather.

His lifestyle I'll admit makes him susceptible to this aging overnight thing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,681 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

string rumours for a couple of years that Usyk needs a shoulder operation, age will catch up with both men for sure it will just depend who’s the most skilful on tbe day

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Advertisement

I dont think so. I think a guy who has lived the life for so long and not taken much punishment in the ring will weather much, much better. Fury has had his share of alcohol and other substances along with a poor diet even when he is training. Ballooning in weight more than just once is a huge thing too.

Fury is fast yea but it’s his timing as well that has made him very effective.

Ideally neither will age before this fight I want to see them both perform and then we can have some kind of conversation about greatness.

Maybe rumours surely but he threw well from both hands against Joshua both fights. Id say that shoulder is holding up well.

Andy ruiz v big baby miller august 3rd

What the hell is Ruiz at with himself. That’s a nothing fight. He should be clamouring for fights with people like Parker, Zhang, Hrgovic, Wilder, Dubois. That’s some disappointment

he’s done nothing lately to warrant a big fight really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭fitzparker

He hasn't pushed on from his momentum getting the joshua fights.

this will be his 3rd fight in 5 years, is he just hanging around for a named fight?

Compare that to Joe Parker who fought 4 times in 2023 alone to stay active until he got a big name fight (Wilder)

• Advertisement

you would wonder if he picked up a ban or had an operation because he hasn't fought since he beat ortiz inseptember 2022 so by the time the fight comes around in august it is just shy or 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭geotrig

ha wondered the same about a "ban" as you say too close to 2 years of inactivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,601 ✭✭✭✭walshb

if a ban we absolutely would have heard on it. I reckon Ruiz just lacks real dedication and consistent focus. Goes through very lazy spells and then switches back on

I’d tend to agree there. It’s an awful pity of him. I;d give him the Arreola fight as a bit of a tune up after the Joshua disgrace but beating Joshua, going 12 rounds with a non-committal Joshua and a fair then good win in CA and Ortiz should mean he’d be knocking on the door now of top 5 guys. He’s let the last 3-4 years just float by

so aj has said that his next fight date will be september 20th/21st in Wembley against the winner of either wilder v zhang or hrgovic v dubois, Turki said it will be against the one who looks the best

• Registered Users Posts: 37,531 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

There is no doubt Usyk is the most skilful but his skill doesn't help him much taking on a man as tall as Fury.

There absolutely could be doubt as to skill levels between Usyk and Fury. Unless you detail and reason out why Usyk is without doubt more skilful than Fury, it means nothing.

Fury can box, slug, fight. Can work inside. Has good feet, range and stamina. Can throw an array of shots from orthodox and southpaw. He is also capable of adjusting and adapting during fights.

now that I look at it, your claim is way too premature and certain in its statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,535 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I see recent footage emerged and looks like Fury has put weight back on ,

The man seems to still struggle with his mental health, You get the feeling he gets the head down an trains hard but it only continues for limited time before he loses the rag & causes some kind of self sabotage

For everyone i hope we see the best of both men , OT many times big fights once around when one of them is over the hill or checked out ,

Boxing changes so quickly 18 months ago there was so many exciting fight at HW now this is probably the last one left,

Fury seemed fine weight wise at the press conference recently, he’s never going to be rocking an 8 pack but once he’s not 20st he can move well

• Registered Users Posts: 20,535 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Yes but there was a video knocking about yesterday & he looks far bigger,

But you wouldn't know if its mind games

• Advertisement

was that the promo for the fight that was filmed ages ago, I think there’s 2 parts out now and his father said the game plan is to chase him down and catch him and smash him

There were gym images that folks were querying. Looked nothing to me. In a t-shirt and slight belly. He has always had a bit of a belly. Never ever ripped.The man is a monster. He has quite a weight-window. So whether he’s 255 one week or 270 another week, it’s nothing!!! He’s in training is all that matters.

Advertisement