Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Batman (Matt Reeves) ***spoilers from post 1030***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

He’s a recovering alcoholic, who had a massive relapse *because of* playing Batman. You can be 99% sure he won’t be doing any shooting, and I’d even be extremely surprised if he did ADR

• Registered Users Posts: 40 IrishJedi75

MJohnston wrote: »
    He’s a recovering alcoholic, who had a massive relapse *because of* playing Batman. You can be 99% sure he won’t be doing any shooting, and I’d even be extremely surprised if he did ADR

Hes recovered.And hes done several films since.Hes also been a strong advocate of getting Snyders cut released.And he didnt relapse because of playing Batman.Thats just silly.The guy had personal problems which hes dealt with.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Big difference between some recording some voicework or ADR at the local studio, and a full production shoot with all the physical and costume requirements that come with a superhero flick. The budget isn't there for major reshoots and getting Gadot, Afflick back would be a logistical hurdle.

If Afflick relapsed because of JL then for his and his family's health he shouldn't go back - and presumably won't. But a little ADR he can do in his PJs at home, his sanity and sobriety in check.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Plus, CoVid makes any shoots of any stripe much more difficult for the next 12 months. By all accounts there was a slew of material left behind from Synder (major sequences such as Barry Allen saving Iris West), while with some generous editing + ADR and CGI, you could add new set pieces without the need for the actors suiting up.

Agreed on the budget too, figures I've seen in outlets has been around the 30 million mark. That'll be quickly eaten up by FX and post production.

The head of Warner and HBO Max had this to say in the last week, I can't see anything about reshoots...

"It isn't as easy as going into the vault and there's a Snyder Cut sitting there to put out... Zack is actually building it and it's complex, including - and I don't wanna get into too much detail that we haven't already talked about yet - but, new effects shots. It's a radical rethinking of that movie and it's complicated and wildly expensive. Which is, of course, a number I won't quote... I'll just say I wish it was $30 million and stop there."

The same article reports that when Snyder stepped down, he was already in post-production...
    When Snyder initially stepped down from the DC team-up film, he was in the midst of post-production. Principal photography had wrapped, but there was still a lot of work to be done with visual effects, the musical score, and other aspects.

I reckon the money will be spent on everything but reshoots, and that a Snyder Cut which still needed reshoots to complete it would have been a very different proposition for WB/HBO Max to greenlight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

There WILL be additional shooting.One scene that Snyder never got to finish was where General Swannick from MOS and BVS was going to be revealed as Martian Manhunter.It was a scene where Martha Kent is having a conversation with Lois Lane and '' Martha '' is actually Jonn Jonnz in human form.

Snyder shot some of it but never finished it.Harry Lennix who plays General Swannick has hinted they are going to finish it.

And Affleck is actually in really good shape these days.Any additonal scenes with him in the Batman suit shouldnt be a problem.The fact that they are spending up to 80 million dollars to do this cut means that they are doing a HELL of a lot more than ADR.

The actor has *hinted* at it so you're assuming it WILL happen. WB have said there won't be reshoots. Also where are you getting 80 million from, the figure I've seen reported is 20-30 for effects and ADR.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I wouldn't say it was because of playing Batman but more due to a number of factors that converged while he was playing Batman. Affleck's personal issues are well documented and were around long before he put on the cowl.

It goes without saying if Affleck returned it wouldn't be under the same circumstances that drove him away, but if he didn't return I wouldn't blame him. Not only were the suits at WB giving him a hard time but the abuse that came his way from fans and "critics" because he dared to be in a polarising film or two was disgusting. Worse than the abuse he got for Daredevil

Hes recovered.And hes done several films since.Hes also been a strong advocate of getting Snyders cut released.And he didnt relapse because of playing Batman.Thats just silly.The guy had personal problems which hes dealt with.

Call it recovered if you want but any recovered alcoholic will tell you that it’s a constant process that you don’t just cure one day. The personal problems he had were definitely compounded by playing Batman and to return to that would be to reopen that period of his life. Here’s some choice quotes from his recent NYT interview that indicate strongly to me that he would never want to do Batman again:
    “I showed somebody ‘The Batman’ script,” Affleck recalled. “They said, ‘I think the script is good. I also think you’ll drink yourself to death if you go through what you just went through again.’”
    He took a sharp breath and exhaled slowly, as if to slow himself down. “It’s not particularly healthy for me to obsess over the failures — the relapses — and beat myself up,” he said. “I have certainly made mistakes. I have certainly done things that I regret. But you’ve got to pick yourself up, learn from it, learn some more, try to move forward.”

The cast and crews of Zack Snyders films are extremely loyal to him.The likes of Affleck,Jason Momoa and Gal Gadot have championed his cut of Justice League getting release.They wouldnt do that if they were not at least willing to pop in to the studio for a day or two of ADR.Heck,even Henry Cavill appeared on Snyders Watch party for Man Of Steel when they made the Snyder Cut announcement.

And you people seriously think they wont come back and do ADR?

Also,30 million was the initial estimate but a recent statement from one of the heads of HBO Max says he wishes 30 million was the number,but its closer to 80 million, saying '' Theres a lot of work to be done ''

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Any chance the Justice League-specific chat can be moved to the appropriate thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Did anyone see Colin Farrell's interview on The Late Late Show last Friday?

He was saying that there is a large amount of people working on this film with Matt Reeves. He said that was between 400 to 500 people working on the set of The Batman. Temperature checks should be done once filming of this film returns later in the year. I don't know how bringing back that large cohort of people could work as soon when all of this Covid stuff has officially died down when filming returns to normal in late August. The biggest problem that I can see not working out for the moment is doing contact scenes within this film. All staff would have read up from the health authorities on how they can obtain this virus if they were nearer other people; there could be a risk that you can be infected with the virus if people on set can come into close contact when there are scenes involving physical confrontation. Obviously when filming for a scene so it can go out to post production. It wouldn't look good for the fans to see the actors wearing face masks being worn in the film unless it has to be done with people not wearing masks & the only way to not see them is with editing the masks out with CGI & VFX. I think the need for deep cleaning on set will have to be done regularly as well so that people can have a lower chance of getting infected with Covid-19 in future.

I guess there wont be any love scenes in movies and tv for a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

The Batman Film Scores Spinoff Series at HBO Max, Will Explore Gotham City's Collection of 'Complex Characters'
    The companion series — from Reeves, The Batman producer Dylan Clark, Boardwalk Empire creator Terence Winter and Warner Bros. Television — will “build upon the motion picture’s examination of the anatomy of corruption in Gotham City, ultimately launching a new Batman universe across multiple platforms.

https://tvline.com/2020/07/10/the-batman-tv-series-hbo-max-gotham-city/

I'm so confused.

I heard that one before - and we got Gotham; a show that existed in some weird mutant combination of Tim Burton and Adam West's Batman.

Most Marvel / DC properties' worlds and locations can be fairly generic - but Gotham is a place that's a character unto itself, and positively cries out for a TV adaptation that does it justice. But then if it's linked to the Pattinson universe, it'll likely have immediate constraints over what characters it could use (so presumably no DA Harvey Dent, in case WB want Two-Face as a movie villain)

• Registered Users Posts: 60,367 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So will The Batman HBO series be linked to The Green Lantern HBO series then.

WBDC really are making an arse of there IP.

The CW universe

The DC streaming Universe

The Pennyworth Universe

The Snyder Universe

The Joker Universe

The Batman Universe

The Suicide Squad/Birds of Prey Universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭Ridley

pixelburp wrote: »
    Most Marvel / DC properties' worlds and locations can be fairly generic - but Gotham is a place that's a character unto itself, and positively cries out for a TV adaptation that does it justice. But then if it's linked to the Pattinson universe, it'll likely have immediate constraints over what characters it could use (so presumably no DA Harvey Dent, in case WB want Two-Face as a movie villain)

If They're doing Gotham Central that could work in its favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,856 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So will The Batman HBO series be linked to The Green Lantern HBO series then.

WBDC really are making an arse of there IP.

The CW universe

The DC streaming Universe

The Pennyworth Universe

The Snyder Universe

The Joker Universe

The Batman Universe

The Suicide Squad/Birds of Prey Universe.

Suicide Squad/BoP is same universe as Snyder Universe since we got a wee crossover.
    Though the DC streaming Universe was split as well at the end of the Crisis where they showed Stargirl, Swamp Thing, Doom Patrol and Titans all being set on separate Earths even though they previously established Titans and Doom Patrol as being on the same Earth as each other.

That CW universe is just going to keep rolling. As long as they stick to C and D listers like Stargirl more power to them.

I expect Pennyworth to go out quietly.

Joker's not really an universe....or at least the talk of a sequel has gone quiet.

Doom Patrol and Titans can keep plugging on quietly without causing too much of a headache.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Really leaning into that red and black. I like it.

The red and black is a good colour scheme, wonder if that'll inform anything in that actual film itself. Haven't seen any reds on the costume AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 28,856 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Turns out it's really a Batwoman film.

Vanity Fair just broke Ben Affleck is returning in the Flash movie....how nice to have two love action versions of the character on the go!

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2020/08/ben-affleck-returns-batman-the-flash-multiverse-keaton

Vanity Fair just broke Ben Affleck is returning in the Flash movie....how nice to have two love action versions of the character on the go!

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2020/08/ben-affleck-returns-batman-the-flash-multiverse-keaton

Three given that Michael Keaton is also signed on for The Flash movie.

Guess I was wrong about him never coming back to this role! No doubt this will be a passing of the torch though.

Guess I was wrong about him never coming back to this role! No doubt this will be a passing of the torch though.

I'm pretty sure R-Batz (yes I called him that unironically) is standalone and not connected to the DCEU. I'll be very surprised if he even cameos in The Flash, I hope he doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Advertisement

It's a fairly darkly lit photo but it looks CGI, or maybe it's just me.

Advertisement