Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Batman (Matt Reeves) ***spoilers from post 1030***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Fantastic teaser.

I was wondering again whether this had anything to do with the 'Joker' film, becuase I thought I heard it wasn't but those goons at around 1:35 look fairly Joker-inspired, so could have made sense to take place after that film.

But apparently not and they're just really going for the 'multi-universe' thing to allow for multiple takes on the characters to co-exist.

https://www.gamesradar.com/dc-multiverse-batman-joker-flash-justice-league-fandome/
    "It became the situation where fans just want to see the characters, you can have The Flash on TV and in movies... and, going forward, there are more opportunities to do this and use the medium in ways we haven't used it before

"For our big-screen heroes in Justice League and beyond, this could mean that nothing is off the table. “What the multiverse means is we can tell these great stories where we can tell different stories. There's one earth where have Gal and Ezra... and another where we can have Year Two Batman... and then there's Joker, which isn't part of either continuity.”

Hamada continued, “Matt Reeves can continue to build out his Gotham [in The Batman]. Those are things that we can do because we don’t have to worry about how that would impact Aquaman 2 or The Flash, because it’s all just part of the multiverse.”

"Our focus is telling great stories. If it would work as an Elseworld, we would do that. It's when the right filmmaker and the right story come together."

That's great. Well, I'm sure they'll go overboard and over-saturate us with it before too long, but it'll be great for a while. Can't wait for some interesting Superman stuff, too. Someone out there has a picture of Nic Cage on the wall and their thinking cap on, and I want to see what they come up with.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Of the universes, I've often preferred Gotham to stay its own. I'd argue that Batman works precisely because of his setting as much as the character himself, and existing within a larger world of gods and monster cheapens that location somehow. Gotham is eternally the last days of Pompeii, a world of grotesque mobsters and corruption and never quite gels with metropolis or scarlet speedsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,417 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So we had a 70's style Joker

The Suicide Squad calling itself a 70's type war movie.

And what could easily be a 70's era Batman from that trailer.

Tenuous linking of them together.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Okay, that was absolutely bloody amazing.

I've seen a few of Pattinson's more recent movies and he's grown on me massively, there's a lad that got done dirty by those Twilight films

• Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Okay, that was absolutely bloody amazing.

I've seen a few of Pattinson's more recent movies and he's grown on me massively, there's a lad that got done dirty by those Twilight films

Pattinson is the perfect casting; a quality actor and still retains interest from the fandom he gained from Twilight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,417 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Colin Farrell really is unrecognisable

Colin-Farrell-Penguin-The-Batman.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=960&h=500

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wait what? You sure? That's insane. Looks more like 2000s Van Kilmer really let himself go :D

Fair play to Farrell, that's even beating Oldman in Darkest Hour in the prosthetics stakes. Totally unrecognizable. Still finding it hard to believe it's him hopefully the performance lives up to the risk.

I just saw the bottom of his face on my screen and now all I can see is Richard Nixon.... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Colin Farrell really is unrecognisable

Colin-Farrell-Penguin-The-Batman.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=960&h=500

Poor old James Gandolfini would have been a shoe in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I grew really tired of Jeffrey Wright and his style of whisper-slow-drawn out delivery he does, he seems to be doing likewise in the trailer. A small, but inconvenient issue.

razorblunt wrote: »
    I grew really tired of Jeffrey Wright and his style of whisper-slow-drawn out delivery he does, he seems to be doing likewise in the trailer. A small, but inconvenient issue.
    Ah I loved it, didn't think Oldman could be matched in his performance but Wright is an inspired choice.

I think Wright carries a very "wounded" sense and mood about his quieter roles which would work well, being an honest cop in this Gotham.

Who's the bad guy supposed to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭1990sman

berties horse

wild dastardly that buck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Riddler, I presume.

Riddler primarily with Penguin and Catwoman being other antagonists to differing degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I like that the greeting card Riddler sent Batman had an owl on the front of it. Probably means nothing in the grand scheme of things, but a few more similar easter eggs here and there wouldn't go amiss.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

razorblunt wrote: »

He’s good at what he does. Problem is, it’s just the same old thing again and again. He does have a serious acting crutch though: I’m only half joking when I refer to him as the world’s foremost glasses actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Is the Batman series of movies (Joker and this and the next) simply taking a page from the Xmen Universe in just setting the films in the past with all the cool old technology and fashion used to hide the fact that the storylines don't change? I mean, the trailer looks good but are we just going to the get the Dark Knight Trilogy set in the 70s?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Is the Batman series of movies (Joker and this and the next) simply taking a page from the Xmen Universe in just setting the films in the past with all the cool old technology and fashion used to hide the fact that the storylines don't change? I mean, the trailer looks good but are we just going to the get the Dark Knight Trilogy set in the 70s?

In fairness I think this one does have a different storyline. As in, it's not another origin story.

Also I'm not sure when exactly it's set but that looks like a modern mobile phone strapped to someone's hand at around 1:10 (also a pretty modern looking car) and Batman's computer monitors at the end of the trailer don't look like old CRTs or anything.

It's likely just a nondescript and stylised "timeless" setting. Gritty 80s aesthetic (which always suits Gotham) with modern tech where it suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,570 ✭✭✭✭banie01

So Riddler, with Penguin and Catwoman?

And I can't be the only one seeing more Hush here too?
    Lot of tape and taped faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

I think it's the Hush storyline too

It’s grand. Nirvana really is in vogue. The costume looks goofy. Looks like the broke Bruce thing is correct. Jeffrey Wright didn’t play with his glasses. Batman really took his time making an example of that goon. Good thing the 20 others didn’t rush him... this to me is always a problem when doing a “realistic” take on batman.

I’m still wondering how this plays given the current environment (heavily armed man beating the **** out of mentally ill/criminals without due process)in the States

Wow.

Are you this much fun in real life?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Wow.

Life must be an amazing adventure for you, if you’re wowed by that ten second takeaway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Wow.

Keep it friendly please.

Back on topic folks, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Barry Keoghan has been cast as Officer Stanley Merkel (Slash Film - may contain spoilers if you haven't read the comics).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I don't get how Farrell looks in the trailer. As wasn't there fan cam footage of him on location filming with a cane and he looked his normal self.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

WOW!!!
    Normally I'm not that into super hero films (except for Nolans Batman trilog) but that was a damn fine trailer, really looking forward to this ...

• Advertisement

Keep it friendly please.

Back on topic folks, thanks.

My apologies. On reflection, it was harsh. Again, apologies to the poster I quoted.

Advertisement