Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Batman (Matt Reeves) ***spoilers from post 1030***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,578 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 14,839 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

• Registered Users Posts: 28,881 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

3031? 4041?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I certainly feel teased. So the Riddler will be the main bad then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

AT LAST we see a Batman take off his helmet and he's still wearing eyeliner!

That looks really good!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,383 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Oh my word! 25% of a film gets produced in these times & this is what we get as a teaser trailer. I have to say this from the bottom of my heart.

I absolutely loved every second of what Matt Reeves has given us in the here & now. It was just absolutely outstanding.

Matt Reeves is some man to direct this for us. A man who has provided his craft with The Planet of The Apes trilogy in not too distant past. And now he is given us his version of The Batman leaving all of us comic book fans who live around the world in a state of worthy shock as to what he has given us so far.

My god; this man is some legend to behold as a filmmaker. He has got his version of Batman absolutely bang on the money & I cannot wait to see it.

I am well & truly hyped. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

yae5e7y.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Wow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Farrell is unrecognisable.

Looks good. Se7en seems to be the major influence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭brevity

I thought it looked great.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,430 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Loved that trailer.

Well that was ****ing brilliant! It actually looks like a batman film (from the trailer so far anyway). The Nolan films never felt like they got the comic feeling right for me and i hated them bar batman begins. I know, I'm in the minority on that one but this makes me so happy. Absolutely LOVE the look, sound and feel of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

There's a breakdown of the trailer on Polygon for those interested. Must admit, I missed a couple of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

It’s grand. Nirvana really is in vogue. The costume looks goofy. Looks like the broke Bruce thing is correct. Jeffrey Wright didn’t play with his glasses. Batman really took his time making an example of that goon. Good thing the 20 others didn’t rush him... this to me is always a problem when doing a “realistic” take on batman.

I’m still wondering how this plays given the current environment (heavily armed man beating the **** out of mentally ill/criminals without due process)in the States

• Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

If it plays out like other Batman stories then Gordon will be giving Batman sh1t for any use of excessive force. Looks great I have to say and a return to a gothic type atmosphere that we haven't seen since Batman Returns.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

At first blush it looks like it might be more detective and mystery oriented than before which I'm excited about; there has been precious little of the World's Greatest Detective in previous films, sorely needed.

Not sure I can see this batman fitting into the broader multiverse though so I'd be happy if like the Nolan movies it stays in its own world. It looks too intense, too dark.

Though have to admit I'm a little disappointed we'll never get a "fun" live action batman on film ever again. Not Adam West levels of goofy, but just something with a more playful heart. Modern batman onscreen had one speed - and one that Lego batman ruthlessly skewered too. Altogether ... "Darkness.... No parents...!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭coolisin

pixelburp wrote: »
    At first blush it looks like it might be more detective and mystery oriented than before which I'm excited about; there has been precious little of the World's Greatest Detective in previous films, sorely needed.

Not sure I can see this batman fitting into the broader multiverse though so I'd be happy if like the Nolan movies it stays in its own world. It looks too intense, too dark.

Though have to admit I'm a little disappointed we'll never get a "fun" live action batman on film ever again. Not Adam West levels of goofy, but just something with a more playful heart. Modern batman onscreen had one speed - and one that Lego batman ruthlessly skewered too. Altogether ... "Darkness.... No parents...!!"

The goofy adam west batman still exists in the strange cartoons they released a couple years ago.
    But then again with the Lego games and movies they can play up to those levels of bonkers.

As for this movie this trailer looks great, hope it holds up.
    I'll fully reserve judgment until the movie drops.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,284 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Looks like a really promising trailer to me.
    I must admit Pattinson isn't someone I would automatically pick as batman though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I've no interest in seeing the tone lightened, but they probably do need to take care with their portrayal of Bruce here.

Play it too dour and psycho and social media Muppets will have a field day with their, ahem......current social commentary. There are ways to counteract that which I think Reeves will take though, such as tweaking Bruce's circumstances. For example is he broke? Focus on his mental health?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I've no interest in seeing the tone lightened, but they probably do need to take care with their portrayal of Bruce here.

Play it too dour and psycho and social media Muppets will have a field day with their, ahem......current social commentary. There are ways to counteract that which I think Reeves will take though, such as tweaking Bruce's circumstances. For example is he broke? Focus on his mental health?

Yeah I think they have wisely planned for that. Every cinematic superhero is attuned to the moral sensibilities of the time in which they are made. The previous batch of superhero films having been defined by 9/11. Not that making Bruce temporarily broke, remorseful for his family's sins and at a war with his fellow elites really changes much about his character.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭OU812

Hmmm... Mixed emotions. Seems dark & gritty, but I don't like Pattinson.

The image of him unmasked

Screen_Shot_2020_08_22_at_9.46.47_PM.png

Is giving me serious Robert Smith/The Cure vibes

Would really love to see a crossover with the 2019 Joker & 2021 Batman at some point though. Seem to have the same tone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

No art exists in isolation, all comics and their adaptations reflect the social zeitgeist of the time. As Prof said, 911 figured hugely in various ways in the early 2000s. But let's not preemptively huff and puff about what social media outliers get upset about just yet.

As to Joker, well they've obviously avoided using him this time but assuming the film succeeds, there will absolutely be pressure from WB to use a joker of some kind in a sequel. Ala Batman Begins it may even be hinted near the end of this one. Seems kind of inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

So Gotham PD the tv show for hbo will be year one the Batman movie will be year 2

https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/the-batman-hbo-max-gotham-pd-tv-series-is-a-prequel/

peteeeed wrote: »
    So Gotham PD the tv show for hbo will be year one the Batman movie will be year 2

https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/the-batman-hbo-max-gotham-pd-tv-series-is-a-prequel/

That's good to hear they know from the outset just how tied to the movie the show is going to be. May yet constrain what the series can touch but knowing upfront also determines the scope. Presumably the Big League villains and characters will be off limits, commissioner Gordon perhaps notwithstanding.

Year 1 batman story is right up my street. Build up the local gangs and corrupt politicians with a hint of a new vigilante in the background. Hopefully some of the big names make an appearance at some point, will really feed into the film then. 2021 is looking good for batman fans!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,430 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

HBO Max would have the budget and name value as well to have the big names in it.

Is Matt Reeves producing or getting a producer credit on Gotham PD that might hint at big names having cameos in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,010 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

sick of the origin story and hopefully this only pays small respect to it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Never liked the Nolan Batman, not enough substance for me, so looking forward to this, it looks great.

• Advertisement
Advertisement