Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Back from Cork and huge credit must go to The management for coming so close to pulling off a huge shock. While Sean Power is the manager don’t be fooled as it had Paul Flynn’s handprints all over it.
    With limited resources it was a fantastic effort and with a bit of luck especially in the first half we could have been victorious.
    Great displays from Nolan, Henley, Prunty(beast) Lyons( definitely ran out of steam due to lack of fitness)while all others worked tirelessly but ultimately wasn’t enough.
    Should this management team get the nod? Well if they do it will be Flynn’s Hurling philosophy that will come to the fore that’s a certainty. Kelly was their eye in the stand throughout but it’s hard to see what Kieran O Gorman brings to it?
    Maybe James O Connor might be a better fit with the 3 lads.
    Yes it’s a huge step up but then again Flynn and co will be working with a better quality of player and I’m intrigued to know how it would work?
    While other names have been mentioned and for different reasons will not be successful maybe we these lads deserve a crack at it and maybe add Tony Browne to the set up aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭upthedeise16

http://hoganstand.com/Article/Index/286794

Loughnane isn’t a fan of Derek’s time as manager

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭puzl

Remember when Loughnane ranted about how he'd win an all Ireland within two years with Galway? I remember.

Then he more or less blamed the galway players for not welcoming him or engaging with him like the clare team had done. He also blamed the bitterness in the club scene. Well all of those things are the job of the manager to solve. All we heard from Loughnane was excuses.

So it's fine for him to scratch his head about why everyone praised DMG's character, and I'd suggest that it's possibly because it's a situation he has never found himself in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭Deiseen

puzl wrote: »
    Remember when Loughnane ranted about how he'd win an all Ireland within two years with Galway? I remember.

Then he more or less blamed the galway players for not welcoming him or engaging with him like the clare team had done. He also blamed the bitterness in the club scene. Well all of those things are the job of the manager to solve. All we heard from Loughnane was excuses.

So it's fine for him to scratch his head about why everyone praised DMG's character, and I'd suggest that it's possibly because it's a situation he has never found himself in.

He also went to town on Mullane when he retired. Its an amateur game and writing stuff like that in a paper for a few reads just isnt on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

http://hoganstand.com/Article/Index/286794

Loughnane isn’t a fan of Derek’s time as manager

I kind of think he's right,

Although Derek is clearly very likable person, he had a very poor success rate at waterford,
    Saying he won a league is a bit like united fans celebrating the Europa league.. its not good enough for the quality that was on the panel. Maybe if the likes of Offaly won the league it would be a big success for them.

69 games, 31 wins, 32 losses, 6 draws

Bigger teams below copied from FB:

Vs cork 5W 7L 1D

Vs TIP 3W 7L 1D

Vs Limerick 2W 4L 1D

Vs Clare 2W 1D 5L

Vs Galway 2W L2 1D

vs KK 3W 4L 1D

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

garv123 wrote: »

Although Derek is clearly very likable person, he had a very poor success rate at waterford,
    Saying he won a league is a bit like united fans celebrating the Europa league.. its not good enough for the quality that was on the panel. Maybe if the likes of Offaly won the league it would be a big success for them.

Vs cork 5W 7L 1D

Vs TIP 3W 7L 1D

Vs Limerick 2W 4L 1D

Vs Clare 2W 1D 5L

Vs Galway 2W L2 1D

vs KK 3W 4L 1D

'the likes of Offaly' ? Yea because we're so much more successful!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭puzl

garv123 wrote: »

Vs cork 5W 7L 1D

Vs TIP 3W 7L 1D

Vs Limerick 2W 4L 1D

Vs Clare 2W 1D 5L

Vs Galway 2W L2 1D

vs KK 3W 4L 1D

If you'r going to disregard the league as a success then you should really only consider championship matches in his record too.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

puzl wrote: »
    If you'r going to disregard the league as a success then you should really only consider championship matches in his record too.

The reality is as popular as he was he delivered no silverware in the championship. Justin did. Davy did. Davy certainly with a lesser team, Justin with a weaker panel but possibly better forwards.
    I wouldn’t belittle the league win, it was huge at the time but unfortunately we never pushed on to a Munster championship or AI victory.
    He came so close to guiding us to the AI it’s easy to forget. Unfortunately in the black and white of the record books it will only be remembered as a loss.
    He obviously did so much for players outside of the confines of the pitch but didn’t get the big championship ones sadly.

DiscoStew wrote: »
    The reality is as popular as he was he delivered no silverware in the championship. Justin did. Davy did. Davy certainly with a lesser team, Justin with a weaker panel but possibly better forwards.
    I wouldn’t belittle the league win, it was huge at the time but unfortunately we never pushed on to a Munster championship or AI victory.
    He came so close to guiding us to the AI it’s easy to forget. Unfortunately in the black and white of the record books it will only be remembered as a loss.
    He obviously did so much for players outside of the confines of the pitch but didn’t get the big championship ones sadly.

Agreed but this thing of helping players outside of training them is cringeworthy to be honest. That sort of thing has gone on for years behind closed doors and nothing said about it. It’s going on all over the country in other countries and to be fair to Loughnane he has some valid points in the article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

Screw the record books. It was some buzz in the second half of last years All Ireland final. Hopefully the next manager brings us back there and gets us into the melting pot like Derek did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BazBox

Deiseen wrote: »
    He also went to town on Mullane when he retired. Its an amateur game and writing stuff like that in a paper for a few reads just isnt on.

What did he say about Mullane, I can't remember?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,885 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Screw the record books. It was some buzz in the second half of last years All Ireland final. Hopefully the next manager brings us back there and gets us into the melting pot like Derek did.

hopefully they will but its a big ask

This is our golden generation and could be our best chance of getting the senior title

Think Sean Power will get the job, if so needs a strong backroom team including Paul Flynn

Success wont be instant for whoever takes over and being in 1B could be a blessing as they can experiement playing the likes of Carlow, Laois etc. Obv Galway and Dublin the big tests in the league next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Blaas4life

PTH2009 wrote: »
    hopefully they will but its a big ask

This is our golden generation and could be our best chance of getting the senior title

Think Sean Power will get the job, if so needs a strong backroom team including Paul Flynn

Success wont be instant for whoever takes over and being in 1B could be a blessing as they can experiement playing the likes of Carlow, Laois etc. Obv Galway and Dublin the big tests in the league next year

After nearly a decade of defensive type hurling dating back to Davy Fitz time....

And as soneone who felt and at time encoyraged mcgraths sweeper shouldve been at least been tried for something new

I for one welcome the prospect of some attacking hurling returning to waterford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Any news on how Stephen is after the match??
    Just haven't seen anything anywhere.. didn't look nice seeing him coming off on Sunday..

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

deise08 wrote: »
    Any news on how Stephen is after the match??
    Just haven't seen anything anywhere.. didn't look nice seeing him coming off on Sunday..

Hopefully the lack of comment on it means it’s not as serious as first seemed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

So lads, first time back on here since the last thread closed.... took a break altogether from it for a few weeks (I was probably one of the lads who needed a break lol..) Obviously a lot has happened in between. Were out of the championship and McGrath is gone and its only half way through June.could hardly have predicted that after the AI final last September.
    Can't help but resonate with some of what Loughnane says. And Im not or was never one of the anti-McGrath canvassers. But the fawning after him was a bit overboard. He was popular with the players for sure and very media friendly as we know, but success-wise we fell short too many times.
    The league win in 2015 and AI final appearance last year were the high points. I have no problem with the style of play if it brings us success but when we were falling short consistently it was time to go. Mind you with the luck we got this year no one could have pulled it of for us so I don't blame him for the early exit either. Derek is one of the games good guys for sure and I thank him for his efforts, but as an intercounty hurling manager he has proven to be fairly limited.
    So who next? Sean Powers name is being strongly mentioned. And in theory is entitled to have a go having tasted AI success with many of these players at minor and u21 level playing a swashbuckling brand of hurling. Clare and Limerick have both gone down the route of appointing successful underage managers and both seem to be moving in the right direction. But Id approach this with caution. Bear in mind Power had probably the most talented group of players the county has seen at underage level, and his 2 subsequent u21 teams didn't see any success. Senior intercounty is a whole other world and he would need a strong backroom team behind him if he got the job. And I don't mean Dan as a right hand man!!!
    I don't believe the co. board have the funds to go for an Anthony Daly or  a Liam Sheedy, especially with the refurbishment of Walsh Park on the horizon. So that makes the next appointment even more crucial. A talented group of players there definitely capable of getting back to an AI final at least. But careers are getting shorter, and within a few short years another generation may have passed before we know it. So lets get  the best recruitment panel together first, to ensure the best personnel are brought in to oversee the future of this Waterford team.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 38gitS

We can see now that the new format requires a different approach in terms of management from the old system.
    It’s deficient in that two teams play on four consecutive weekends while the other three have no more than three games week on week.
    The odd number of teams means that over time, the effect won’t be negated even if the Munster council tried.
    This was and will continue to be significant unless adjusted.
    The tight nature of qualification and the effect of local rivalry means that each and every game is highly contested with a “win or bust” attitude.
    This has the effect of requiring a high degree of mental focus from players. For amateur players, this is a tall ask.
    management will learn to focus on physical recovery but preventing psychological fatigue is far more difficult.
    In a number of cases, it may require changing players week on week.
    For good management teams this will be an edge, but the spadework must be done during the league in blooding these “seconds”. Then they must be kept ready for their entry.
    I would have expected that Derek McGrath was mindful of the demands that his hand required this year. Unfortunately as we know, he can’t have anticipated using just so many of his training group and all at once.
    I think we were also going to see a move away from the out and out sweeper so it’s double the pity.
    So we look for a new manager.
    The key question we need to ask now is what’s the most important aspect of his job with our players?
    To me, it’s giving our hurling a direction.
    This is first.
    Second comes everything else.

This Brendan Cummins thing is seriously gathering pace. More than a rumour at this stage. Scary.

cul beag wrote: »
    This Brendan Cummins thing is seriously gathering pace. More than a rumour at this stage. Scary.

Probably be negative and stop SOK from scoring 😡

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Sure last week Derek was staying...

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Kerry 1-11 waterford 0-0 ht

3ships wrote: »
    Kerry 1-11 waterford 0-0 ht

Ffs but I imagine the team barley had time to prepare

Best of luck to the seniors tomorrow against Monaghan. Sadly can't make it myself but hopefully they get a good crowd and give a good account of themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 49 OldBoro

1.15 to no score

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

We got a point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,578 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

3-22 0-1 full time

• Advertisement

KevIRL wrote: »
    3-22 0-1 full time

To who?

Sure last week Derek was staying...

And big Dan is throwing his hat in the ring so it’s makes for great viewing!

Hope it's not true

Great right hand man/selector but not as manager

Sean Power my favourite to get it and to have most of the same backroom team as the under 21s. The squad could have great respect for Sean as most of them were part of his AI winning minor and under 21s

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Hope it's not true

Great right hand man/selector but not as manager

Sean Power my favourite to get it and to have most of the same backroom team as the under 21s. The squad could have great respect for Sean as most of them were part of his AI winning minor and under 21s
    seriously a great right hand man, not so sure , he was more of a yes man than anything else , he looked more of a gofer than someone Mc Grath would actually listen too, we don't know the facts at all if any if Dan tried to influence Mc Grath to hurl in any kind of a positive manner or was he just there to run around screaming at everyone to get back, like I said we don't know the facts, but he was in the set up all the way and played his part in what can only be described as puke hurling , basically playing Football/rugby with hurlies ,let's hope we never see it again , nearly 10 years of it now , let's hope when Mc Grath cleans out his desk he brings with him every yes man , that was associated with him , I remember Paul Flynn writing for one of our local rags about Davy Fitz ,that he believed that he dragged Waterford back 30 years , add to that the damage Mc Grath has done and we'll do well to climb out of this hurling quick sand, here's to a new manager who ever it will be and the very best of luck to him , looking forward to next years league already,its a shame that that it didn't work out for him and I hope he does well wherever he goes , he seems like a decent fella , but a decent intercounty hurling MANAGER he is not , and his record will show that , very very average altogether , onwards and upwards ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,578 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Footballers outclassed today. 5-21 to 0-9 full time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Deisedozzer

I would be far from a fan of Tipperary but don't see why there is such opposition to Brendan Cummins being in the running? He has experience of winning all irelands which nobody in our county has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Blaas4life

I would be far from a fan of Tipperary but don't see why there is such opposition to Brendan Cummins being in the running? He has experience of winning all irelands which nobody in our county has.

And what management experience has he??

Seems alot of city clubs coming around to sean power from what I hear in work anywayz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Deisedozzer

Blaas4life wrote: »
    And what management experience has he??

Seems alot of city clubs coming around to sean power from what I hear in work anywayz

Seán Power has zero senior experience. I'm not coming out in favour of Cummins, just don't see why so many are excluding him. Personally I don't think there is anyone good enough within the County to do the job.

Seán Power has zero senior experience. I'm not coming out in favour of Cummins, just don't see why so many are excluding him. Personally I don't think there is anyone good enough within the County to do the job.

We don't have the €€€ for anyone outside of the county. I'd go for Sean Power with an experienced backroom team

Sean Power and a good team around him is the way to go for me. Nothing against Cummins as he’s a legend and would be a good PR man but at the end of the day he’d only be cutting his teeth to prepare for the Tipp job to follow. That might not be a bad thing but I’d rather go with someone with a track record of bringing medals back to the Déise. I also think it’d be odd to have another ex goalkeeper in charge. Sure they’re all mad ðŸ˜႒

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

PTH2009 wrote:
    We don't have the €€€ for anyone outside of the county. I'd go for Sean Power with an experienced backroom team

Sean Power and a good team around him is the way to go for me. Nothing against Cummins as he’s a legend and would be a good PR man but at the end of the day he’d only be cutting his teeth to prepare for the Tipp job to follow. That might not be a bad thing but I’d rather go with someone with a track record of bringing medals back to the Déise. I also think it’d be odd to have another ex goalkeeper in charge. Sure they’re all mad ðŸ˜႒

But when ye both say experienced and good backroom team are ye talking about people from inside or outside the county ?
    Some of the names that have been mentioned from inside and outside would want the main position rather than selector or advisor etc

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Bigsliothar

anyone have a timeframe for new management to be in place??

Heard they want to have it finalised by the county senior hurling final which will prob be end of Sep/October

Heard they want to have it finalised by the county senior hurling final which will prob be end of Sep/October

The county final will be sorted well before that with all intercounty teams out of championship.

Don’t know where this Cummins stuff is coming from. I know he is well acquainted with Paddy Joe Ryan, Fourmilewater and Ardfinnan where Cummins is from being neighbouring parishes as the crow flies aswell. Maybe people are putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5. From what I hear there is a panel being put in place to decide upon and interview numerous candidates. There is no single person being touted at this stage, and don’t expect to see a new appointment for a number of months yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Last Sunday’s game against Cork in Thurles was quite enjoyable, although, as Donal O’Grady observed in the Examiner, it lacked the intense edge of a real championship occasion. It was surreal being at a Munster Championship match involving Waterford where my heart was not in my mouth as the game went down to the wire.

Waterford played some good hurling, especially in the first half, but overall Cork were clearly the better team. As usual they were well-organised, working the ball through the lines to create loads of scoring opportunities. However, their shooting was way off, while Waterford’s was unusually good, as reflected in Cork’s wide tally of seventeen compared with just seven for Waterford.

A lot of Waterford’s points came from out the field, or were gifts from sloppy play in the Cork defence. As ever, Waterford rarely exerted pressure close to the Cork goal. Cork’s sloppiness and wayward shooting indicated a team which may have thought that all they had to do was to turn up to win the game. However, when push came to shove they came good in the closing stages, which you would expect as the result meant a lot to them. Also Waterford ran out of steam towards the end, as the exertions of four games in four weeks clearly began to tell. The GAA will surely have to make some adjustments to the playing schedule in next year’s championship.

With Cork being so wasteful, Waterford could well have won the game. Just after half time, Tommy Ryan passed up a tap-over point and appeared to go for goal off his weaker left side which Anthony Nash dealt with comfortably. Immediately afterwards Pauric Mahony had a straightforward scoring chance which he would normally nail, but underhit his shot into Nash’s hand. If Waterford had got these two points it could have changed the dynamics of the closing stages by putting extra pressure on Cork.

On top of that, Seamus Harnedy’s goal should never have been allowed. After initially taking the ball into hand, he then handled the ball again before taking six clear strides before shooting to the net. Even if, as some have suggested, he handled the ball again during these strides (not obvious on TV) it would have been a foul for handling the ball three times. Overall, it was terrible refereeing, and variation between referees in their toleration of overcarrying has become a major problem (as has poor umpiring, which has been particularly evident this year).

Obviously the highlight of the game, from a Waterford point of view, was the outstanding performance of Tommy Ryan in what may have been his first championship start (I am open to correction on this). When he first came on the scene I thought Ryan was too small and light to make it at this level, but he is certainly a lot stronger now. He does have a tendency to go it alone. When he went for the long-distance shot late in the game which was blocked down (leading to Patrick Horgan shooting Cork into the lead), if he had looked up he might have spotted Tom Devine who was completely on his own on the left wing and calling for the ball.

Devine really upped his game this year. His first touch and shooting have been top drawer. He will be a big loss if he is not available next year.

After early jitters, and despite some naivety which one would expect, I thought that Seamus Keating did well when brought on to replace Noel Connors. One would have to ask why more use was not made of him when Waterford were hit with their injured defenders crisis.

An interesting aspect of last weekend was that the two teams which were full of energy and sharp as tacks in Limerick the previous week (the Limerick seniors and Waterford minors) both were totally flat against Clare and Cork, respectively. The way entire teams can collectively be affected like this is a fascinating aspect of sport. There was less at stake for Limerick who would still have been in the championship regardless of their result. I am amazed at the way Clare have been hyped up by the media pundits after this game, given how poor Limerick were.

Apart from the fact that Waterford minors had to play four games in four weeks, consistency between games is rarer at this level. Bad and all as they were playing, they still dominated the early stages of their game against Cork, but had some really bad misses. As happens in these situations, Cork (who had zero confidence starting the game, a rare occurrence in teams from that county) managed to put some scores on the board and you could see them gaining self-belief and eventually taking over completely.

I was surprised to see Caolán Mac Craith being hauled ashore when the game just might still have been retrievable. While things had not been going well for him (mainly a result of poor supply from out the field), he was the one member of the Waterford team with a bit of X factor who might have been able to grab a goal or two out of nothing.

It is ironic that the two teams which Waterford beat in this championship, Tipperary and Limerick, are now in the Munster final. They did show a lot of quality against Limerick, and along with the good showing of the under 21s on Wednesday, it is clear that the production of good young hurlers in the county did not cease in 2013, as some people (including Derek McGrath) seem to think.

Finally, assuming that last Sunday was his last game for Waterford, I salute and thank Brick Walsh for his enormous contribution to Waterford hurling over the last 15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭tommylad1212

the hurling county final is fixed for 7th oct football final week later 14 th oct

Tommy Ryan started against Cork in the all ireland quarter final in 2012.

the hurling county final is fixed for 7th oct football final week later 14 th oct

You are joking? Surely these should be sorted by September at the latest?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭spideyman92

Giveitfong wrote: »
    Waterford played some good hurling, especially in the first half, but overall Cork were clearly the better team. As usual they were well-organised, working the ball through the lines to create loads of scoring opportunities. However, their shooting was way off, while Waterford’s was unusually good, as reflected in Cork’s wide tally of seventeen compared with just seven for Waterford.

I actually thought we were the better team last week. Just when it came down to it at the end of the game, Cork had something to play for to give them that little boost to get them over the line.

I think a few players are heading off to the US for a few weeks.

I thought the idea of this new calender was to get club games over early ??

Plan was emailed to clubs last week that's the dates that were given

I think a few players are heading off to the US for a few weeks.

I thought the idea of this new calender was to get club games over early ??
    The day after Waterford and Tipp were knocked out of the championship there was a whole host of clubs from the states making contact with players, all competing to get the best players across before the start of the summer championships over there. Some were even getting whatsapp messages that evening!! There are already a few lads gone, and I believe De Burca, the Mahonys and Fives (not sure which one) have departed for Australia.
    That's the reality of the modern game and unfortunately I'd say many clubs don't feel any better off because Waterford are out of the championship.

The day after Waterford and Tipp were knocked out of the championship there was a whole host of clubs from the states making contact with players, all competing to get the best players across before the start of the summer championships over there. Some were even getting whatsapp messages that evening!! There are already a few lads gone, and I believe De Burca, the Mahonys and Fives (not sure which one) have departed for Australia.
    That's the reality of the modern game and unfortunately I'd say many clubs don't feel any better off because Waterford are out of the championship.

Think about 10 of the panel gone away, club championship back on this weekend it's the clubs that will suffer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,117 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

the gaa set these championships up initially to promote the games abroad , one of clares best players in the last 5 years left the panel 2 years ago to earn a few quid abroad , i have a different view though , while i hate this practice atleast these lads are getting a chance to earn a few quid

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement