Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman shot & killed in Derry being treated as a terrorist incident MOD WARNING IN OP

Options
1121314151618»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭The_Fitz

I sincerely hope that we are not on track to return to the horror of the 70s and 80s.

However, I would disagree with your belief that we are not on track to return to violence.

The truth is, the vast majority of people on this Island did not want violence, or conflict.

Two minorities, one in each Community, did - and those two minorities engaged in tit for tat killings on an escalating basis until both Communities were ravaged by violence.

To say that it unlikely that the same could happen again, because the majority do not support violence, is to ignore the fact that the majority didn't want violence the first time, either - but it still happened.

Hopefully, lessons have been learned - but when you look at the lack of urgency to restore Stormont, coupled with the determination of both of the main parties not to compromise - then I am concerned that the whole unholy mess could easily start all over again.

This is an over simplistic view of the conflict. You are correct in suggesting that the majority did not support violence, but there was definitely a far larger passive support than there is now within the Irish community. You wouldn't get Colly Duffy elected as an MP now for example.

We will not return to anything like the conflict as there is no appetite. There is no wide scale discrimination against the Irish, there is no longer Unionist misrule (no laughing at the back) and so on. The conditions are thankfully not there.

The Irish side are largely now confined to politics, while the British side have withdrawn and the only time you see them is when they have their wee training sessions up the Sperrin mountains. The British ran paramilitaries have morphed into being criminals only (which I for one am glad of, as the previous incarnations are not worth thinking about).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

The_Fitz wrote: »
    This is an over simplistic view of the conflict. You are correct in suggesting that the majority did not support violence, but there was definitely a far larger passive support than there is now within the Irish community. You wouldn't get Colly Duffy elected as an MP now for example.

We will not return to anything like the conflict as there is no appetite. There is no wide scale discrimination against the Irish, there is no longer Unionist misrule (no laughing at the back) and so on. The conditions are thankfully not there.

The Irish side are largely now confined to politics, while the British side have withdrawn and the only time you see them is when they have their wee training sessions up the Sperrin mountains. The British ran paramilitaries have morphed into being criminals only (which I for one am glad of, as the previous incarnations are not worth thinking about).

You need to remember what this thread is about-the terrible murder of an innocent young woman by republican terrorists with the same old philosophy just a new generation.

Really? Didn't Arlene suggest that Nationalists were "crocodiles"?

There is currently nowhere near the same level of discrimination by the British - but there remains the failure to introduce an Irish language act, and, even more alarmingly,

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/brexit-exacerbating-human-rights-crisis-in-northern-ireland-922818.html

What do you think the new IRA are using as a recruitment tool?

Do you think that only prosecuting one of the soldiers responsible for the slaughter of innocent civil right marchers on Bloody Sunday assured the young people in Derry that they are equal citizens?

How about the support of those soldiers by Karen Bradley? Or those members of the British public who demonstrated in favour of those soldiers?

You don't see any possible connection with that ruling, and subsequent riots in the Creggan when armoured vehicles conducted searches in the Creggan?

You don't think that the young people of N.I. aren't drawing their own conclusions from the fact that once again, there is a failure to recognise the right of one section of the N. Irish community to decide their own Nationality, and protect that right?

What happens if, God forbid, there is violence against the Unionist community?
    Do your really think all the Loyalist death squads have faded into the mist, never to be heard from again?
    Because I have a funny feeling they didn't all die off....

Why do you think the British and Irish governments got involved with getting Stormont up and running again?
    Certainly both Governments are busy dealing with Brexit - yet they have both taken time to meet, and try and reestablish self Governance for N.I. as a matter of urgency.

I doubt if they went to those lengths as a P.R. stunt, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,505 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

If you are a "dissident" then why do anything?

Everything is in your favor for a UI. Changing demographic and Brexit.

Just let it work it's course?

Really? Didn't Arlene suggest that Nationalists were "crocodiles"?

There is currently nowhere near the same level of discrimination by the British - but there remains the failure to introduce an Irish language act, and, even more alarmingly,

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/brexit-exacerbating-human-rights-crisis-in-northern-ireland-922818.html

What do you think the new IRA are using as a recruitment tool?

Do you think that only prosecuting one of the soldiers responsible for the slaughter of innocent civil right marchers on Bloody Sunday assured the young people in Derry that they are equal citizens?

How about the support of those soldiers by Karen Bradley? Or those members of the British public who demonstrated in favour of those soldiers?

You don't see any possible connection with that ruling, and subsequent riots in the Creggan when armoured vehicles conducted searches in the Creggan?

You don't think that the young people of N.I. aren't drawing their own conclusions from the fact that once again, there is a failure to recognise the right of one section of the N. Irish community to decide their own Nationality, and protect that right?

What happens if, God forbid, there is violence against the Unionist community?
    Do your really think all the Loyalist death squads have faded into the mist, never to be heard from again?
    Because I have a funny feeling they didn't all die off....

Why do you think the British and Irish governments got involved with getting Stormont up and running again?
    Certainly both Governments are busy dealing with Brexit - yet they have both taken time to meet, and try and reestablish self Governance for N.I. as a matter of urgency.

I doubt if they went to those lengths as a P.R. stunt, tbh.

There was a reason I put "No laughing at the back". Having a "dinosaur disbelieving" bunch of lunatics in a power sharing government isn't going to be a bed of roses.

You have taken me up wrong, I don't dispute what you are saying. What I am saying is that none of these issues, will create the conditions that will enable an armed struggle to take place, and I thoroughly believe that.

DUP think we're second class citizens - shock horror.

Tory minister supports British troops over barbaric murder of Irish citizens - shock horror.

None of this is new, and will not force our young to take up arms en masse. I'd rather the British were denying us an Acht na Gaeilge than sending the RUC in to blow up our pubs.

• Advertisement

If you are a "dissident" then why do anything?

Everything is in your favor for a UI. Changing demographic and Brexit.

Just let it work it's course?

Morons fella.

Feel the need to be seen to be doing something.

RobMc59 wrote: »
    You need to remember what this thread is about-the terrible murder of an innocent young woman by republican terrorists with the same old philosophy just a new generation.

When did I forget?

This disgusting act will hopefully be the last of it's kind.

This philosophy has been in this island for hundreds of years.

There was a reason I put "No laughing at the back". Having a "dinosaur disbelieving" bunch of lunatics in a power sharing government isn't going to be a bed of roses.

You have taken me up wrong, I don't dispute what you are saying. What I am saying is that none of these issues, will create the conditions that will enable an armed struggle to take place, and I thoroughly believe that.

DUP think we're second class citizens - shock horror.

Tory minister supports British troops over barbaric murder of Irish citizens - shock horror.

None of this is new, and will not force our young to take up arms en masse. I'd rather the British were denying us an Acht na Gaeilge than sending the RUC in to blow up our pubs.

I hope you are right. I really do.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,014 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

janfebmar wrote: »
    What rubbish. I too lived through the 70s , 80s etc in this country and most people I knew hated the pIRA. They kidnapped people, killed civilians, robbed banks, shot Gardai, etc. During the troubles no Sinn Fein td got elected, it was not until the late nineties. You think most Irish people supported Enniskillen and countless other atrocities?

Well your from a pro unionist background so of course you’re going to hate them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

janfebmar wrote:
    . During the troubles no Sinn Fein td got elected, it was not until the late nineties.

Kieran Doherty and Paddy Agnew were elected in 1981. There can be no doubt what they stood for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Deflection, deflection, deflection. Some trying to make excuses for Irish republicans murdering a young woman in Londondoire.

Some loons even trying to shoehorn brexit into it FFS. These Irish republicans and their ilk were blowing the legs off Gaelic playing catholic psni officers long before brexit was even heard of.

Derry needs to wake up, look in the mirror and start accepting its own responsibilities rather than try to blame the brits for everything. It’s getting tiresome and quite frankly laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭enricoh

NIMAN wrote: »
    Unfortunately the local council elections in Derry disproved your point.

We all thought the same, but Gary Donnelly, an apologist for the New/Real/Continuity IRA (or whatever their latest revision is) topped the poll in his ward, with 1374 1st preference votes out of 7917 cast.

So thats nearly 1400 people of voting age who back him, and thats not including those outside of his ward too, so I think to say these people have no support is over optimistic. If they didn't drop votes after Lyra's murder, then when would they?

Yeah, i couldn't believe he topped the poll, especially in light of the murder a few days before.
    Obviously a lot more support for dissadents up there than we are led to believe.
    A handful, no mandate etc etc reported in the media down here, election results dont lie

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

This week's arrests were down to the ringleaders allowing themselves to be filmed by mtv and then hijacking and burning vehicles in the same clothes...

That's the iq we're dealing with

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Cazale wrote: »
    Kieran Doherty and Paddy Agnew were elected in 1981. There can be no doubt what they stood for.
    They werent Sinn Fein candidates. They were hunger strike candidates. There were several elections across the island from 1970 up to the G.F.A. Sinn Fen never got more than a few percentage votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

NIMAN wrote: »
    Unfortunately the local council elections in Derry disproved your point.

We all thought the same, but Gary Donnelly, an apologist for the New/Real/Continuity IRA (or whatever their latest revision is) topped the poll in his ward, with 1374 1st preference votes out of 7917 cast.

So thats nearly 1400 people of voting age who back him, and thats not including those outside of his ward too, so I think to say these people have no support is over optimistic. If they didn't drop votes after Lyra's murder, then when would they?
    Gary Donnelly came out and condemned the killing of Lyra McKee and received abuse for it from Saoradh and supporters of the New IRA. He is definitely not an apologist for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Edgware wrote:
    They werent Sinn Fein candidates. They were hunger strike candidates. There were several elections across the island from 1970 up to the G.F.A. Sinn Fen never got more than a few percentage votes.

They were both known members of the Provisional IRA when they were elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The auld no politics rule is working a charm I see :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Cazale wrote: »
    They were both known members of the Provisional IRA when they were elected.
    t

They werent Sinn Fein candidates. They were elected at the height of the hunger strikes and people were not voting for bombing, kidnapping etc. They were voting in the hope that the political pressure would force the British government to concede the 5 demands.
    There had already been 4 deaths in Long Kesh when Doherty was elected. Agnew was not on hunger strike.
    To try and use the hunger strike vote as a clear vote for the Provisionals campaign is not a true reflection of the vote

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭O'Neill

timthumbni wrote: »
    Deflection, deflection, deflection. Some trying to make excuses for Irish republicans murdering a young woman in Londondoire.

Some loons even trying to shoehorn brexit into it FFS. These Irish republicans and their ilk were blowing the legs off Gaelic playing catholic psni officers long before brexit was even heard of.

Derry needs to wake up, look in the mirror and start accepting its own responsibilities rather than try to blame the brits for everything. It’s getting tiresome and quite frankly laughable.

Wtf are talking about? Derry is pretty woken up thanks and your doing yourself no favours tarring the general populace of the city with these scum. Sweet Christ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod- Politics forum over there somewhere. We are done here

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement