Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gaming News

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

StarCraft pro and caster Geoff 'InControl' Robinson died last night. He was only 33. Seemed to be an unspecified illness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

unfortunately at that age it is most likely drugs or suicide

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,717 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Skerries wrote: »
    unfortunately at that age it is most likely drugs or suicide

We have absolutely no idea how he died outside of a "short illness", and to speculate otherwise is based on nothing. There are countless causes of death for people in their 30s.

Perhaps his family will be willing to divulge the cause of death in time. They are under no obligation to do so, as is their absolute right. A well-known individual has died far too young - that's a tragedy under any circumstances, and publicly floating possible causes of death is completely unnecessary.

ok to lighten the mood

kgqg3e8bpub31.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Layoffs of Activision execs and details of it apparently verified in confidence to the quartering: https://youtu.be/SPm7mF7nDzA
    Activision is denying it publicly.

UK GC says FIFA packs aren't gambling: https://nichegamer.com/2019/07/24/uk-gambling-commission-claims-fifa-packs-are-not-gambling/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Sounds like they are taking the same approach our own Gov took; unless you win money, it aint gambling!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Might effect Valve, since their inventory system and marketplace is integrated to a lot of games. As said 3rd party trading might be an issue, so can see that going.

Wonder about the steam cards too with the second bit about promotional raffles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Mechwarrior 5 Mercenaries is the latest game to go Epic Store exclusive. Needless to say fan's are not happy.
    https://www.pcgamer.com/mechwarrior-5-mercenaries-is-delayed-will-be-an-epic-games-store-exclusive/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

From that article:
    “The Gambling Act tells us that gambling means playing a game of chance for a prize, and you can certainly see circumstances where a loot box might fall within that definition, but where things become a bit more complicated are when one looks at the definition of prize, and prize is defined as being money or money’s worth. What that means is that the prize must mean something that is equivalent to money.”

So the argument is that the things in loot boxes have no real "money's worth" therefore they don't count as gambling. But doesn't that only apply to loot box market places where you can't also buy the item you want directly for a set amount of money? Isn't the main defence for e.g. Overwatch that you can buy skins directly and bypass the loot boxes if you want to. Therefore those skins have a set "money's worth".

This argument really amounts to "it is gambling if you can avoid the gambling mechanics and it is not gambling if you can't"?

And of course that is leaving aside the question of "money's worth" in of itself. If some people are willing to spend money on the chance of getting something, that implies that thing is worth money to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,352 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

From that article:

So the argument is that the things in loot boxes have no real "money's worth" therefore they don't count as gambling. But doesn't that only apply to loot box market places where you can't also buy the item you want directly for a set amount of money? Isn't the main defence for e.g. Overwatch that you can buy skins directly and bypass the loot boxes if you want to. Therefore those skins have a set "money's worth".

This argument really amounts to "it is gambling if you can avoid the gambling mechanics and it is not gambling if you can't"?

And of course that is leaving aside the question of "money's worth" in of itself. If some people are willing to spend money on the chance of getting something, that implies that thing is worth money to them.

You can't buy the gold in Overwatch so you can't assign a value to it. You can earn it in game or as a drop in a loot box.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,394 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I presume the "money's worth" is more related to not being able to sell the contents for money after the fact rather than not being able to buy them directly in the first place. If you can't convert something to money it doesn't have any monetary value. By that definition any game that lets you sell the contents on the steam marketplace would be gambling though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

TitianGerm wrote: »
    You can't buy the gold in Overwatch so you can't assign a value to it. You can earn it in game or as a drop in a loot box.

Yeah, you can only buy the loot boxes directly in Overwatch. Which is worse, as you can drop tons of cash and never get the skin you wanted, and the pity amounts they give for duplicates are pathetic (500 credits for a duplicate Legendary skin, they cost 3000 to buy outright).

I would bet more money and manpower in EA, Blizzard and Valve are being directed at how to weasel out of "lootboxes = gambling" than any game they've made in the past 4 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,352 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Yeah, you can only buy the loot boxes directly in Overwatch. Which is worse, as you can drop tons of cash and never get the skin you wanted, and the pity amounts they give for duplicates are pathetic (500 credits for a duplicate Legendary skin, they cost 3000 to buy outright).

I would bet more money and manpower in EA, Blizzard and Valve are being directed at how to weasel out of "lootboxes = gambling" than any game they've made in the past 4 years.

I don't play Overwatch that much anymore but you earn the gold/credits fairly quickly through games and then your get a loot box every time you level up.

Do you get them at the end of every competitive season as well?

Do you still get duplicates in Loot Boxes? I thought that was changed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,213 ✭✭✭✭Penn

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I don't play Overwatch that much anymore but you earn the gold/credits fairly quickly through games and then your get a loot box every time you level up.

Do you get them at the end of every competitive season as well?

Do you still get duplicates in Loot Boxes? I thought that was changed?

I never played Comp but I don't think you can earn any gold from just playing. You only get gold from duplicates or as an actual reward in a lootbox. I think it's a different currency you get from playing Comp that can only be used to buy gold weapons.

You can still get duplicates in lootboxes as far as I know, but they did substantially reduce the odds of it at one point. I think the biggest chances of getting dupes now are seasonal loot boxes which are guaranteed an seasonal item and therefore greater odds of getting a dupe of one of those.

But what should also be factored in should be what tends to happen with most games that have lootboxes which is the dilution of the reward pool with pointless emblems, avatars, stickers etc, the vast majority of which no-one cares about. Everyone cares most about skins and emotes. Everything else is mostly just used to dilute the reward pool to make it much harder to obtain something you might actually want, and they add more and more as they go on.

With Overwatch for example, say an average of 75 character-specific items for 31 characters, that's 2,325 items not including generic emblems and stickers which for sake of argument brings you to 2,600. Four items per lootbox is 650 lootboxes minimum without getting any dupes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Fortnite competition in New York this week, prize money US$30M BBC news really struggling to understand :)
    Shouldn't have listened to adults when I was a child I might have made something of my life

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I presume the "money's worth" is more related to not being able to sell the contents for money after the fact rather than not being able to buy them directly in the first place. If you can't convert something to money it doesn't have any monetary value. By that definition any game that lets you sell the contents on the steam marketplace would be gambling though.

That "money" can never escape the steam market, though. It's more like store credit. Non-refundable... says it every time you interact with the market.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,831 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Fortnite competition in New York this week, prize money US$30M BBC news really struggling to understand :)
    Shouldn't have listened to adults when I was a child I might have made something of my life

You'd have to play thousands of hours of a **** game though.

Heard this
    • Bethesda account required
    • Internet required for multiplayernvm it's just DRM apparently
    • CoC acceptance for online playapparently CoC even for singleplayer, there is no multi. jesus
    • remade the game in a proprietary engine when the engine and all source ports are literally both libre and gratis and already been ported to the Switch by fans
    • black bars at the side
    • bugged aspect ratio with horizontally stretched graphics
    • slowed down music
    If even half of these are true then the original is still better. Astounding. Think I'll launch some gzdoom tonight perhaps.

You missed that the backwards compatible version was delisted from the xbox one store and is now only available to those that own it if it's already installed or can download it on 360. They were different versions of the games with separate achievement lists etc. but still a bit petty imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Haha. I love it.

• Moderators Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Azza

Speaking of classic Doom re-releases, looks like the PC and PS4 are getting an official port of Doom 64. That's pretty cool, might pick it up. I hear it a great game.

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/doom-64-has-been-rated-by-esrb-for-pc-and-ps4/#more-128201

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Dr. Bre wrote: »

Where's can you watch the Irish guy playing?

Is it today at 5pm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Is it today at 5pm?

His tag is 'lolboom'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Smiles35 wrote: »

Is it today at 5pm?

His tag is 'lolboom'

lolb0om with a zero after the b I think

I watched one of his youtube videos today. My old man brain couldn't keep up with what was going on but he said "yeah, yeah" like me a few times, which always confused the UK guys I used play with.

Watching now. He finished 20th out of 100 in the first game. 5 more games to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

A 15 year old from the UK came second in the duos final and is now a millionaire. Interview with his mam saying he started playing at 13 and she threw out an xbox because his grades were suffering.

Reckon she has had a change of mind now :)

For the little interest i have in Fortnite, this is great for the whole esports and gaming industry in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,226 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

A 15 year old from the UK came second in the duos final and is now a millionaire. Interview with his mam saying he started playing at 13 and she threw out an xbox because his grades were suffering.

Reckon she has had a change of mind now :)

For the little interest i have in Fortnite, this is great for the whole esports and gaming industry in general.
    I heard her say that on BBC news this morning, also saying she broke one of his headsets. I suppose if I had a kid that had just won over $1m I might admit to my anger issues on TV as well.

"My son was playing too much football, so I punctured his ball and threw out his expensive kit..."

Wonder if they'll take all his earnings. They sound bitter enough to do it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Teenagers are idiots. We were all that age once, and if we're being totally honest, that version of us was a thundering plonker who knew f*ck all. Unless those reading still ARE teenagers, in which case ... ... uh. ;)

So the idea of teenagers walking away with a million, before they have the emotional maturity to deal with that kind of money, is depressing. Can't be good for development of an adult with rational expectations. Presumably it's going into a trust mind you.

And before someone says it, I absolutely think the same of teenage Premiership footballers and their ilk. Rugby at least tries make its youngsters finish school (and professionals tend to peak later, given the specificity of positions).

Our fella is no longer in the top twenty. One game to go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,717 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Watching a few of these Fortnite matches out of curiosity, and the endless wall building is both technically impressive from the players and why I absolutely cannot play the ****ing game.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Teenagers are idiots.

that's a terrible generalisation, only the ones who play videogames are. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Any parent with half a brain would try to stop their 13-year old kid from dropping or neglecting school to concentrate on being a professional Fortnite player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Watching a few of these Fortnite matches out of curiosity, and the endless wall building is both technically impressive from the players and why I absolutely cannot play the ****ing game.

I think Fortnite is best summed up for me as a competitive FPS where as soon as you shoot someone, they turn into a five-storey building.

The Irish kid did not rank, alas, but fair play to him. 50 grand and a trip to New York isn’t too shabby at that age.

Congratulations to the 16-year-old who just set himself up for life by being extremely handy at building virtual walls at speed.

• Advertisement

Congratulations to the 16-year-old who just set himself up for life by being extremely handy at building virtual walls on speed.

ftfy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Mickeroo wrote: »

That makes sense as what they must mean, but it still doesn't support their argument. If I put up a prize for a slot machine as e.g. a real gold coin, but I have it as a winning condition that that coin cannot ever be sold, then by their presumed meaning of "money's worth" that slot machine is not gambling. Yes, someone could ignore the rule and just sell the coin anyway, but someone could just ignore the terms and conditions on a game and sell their account too (with all of it's lootbox items as selling point).

Also not being able to sell the contents of a loot box is a function of the developer/publisher not wanting you to be able to sell them, it's not inherently impossible. You already mentioned the steam marketplace, there is no reason why there can't be in game market places for all games that have lootboxes.

Saying there has to be a potential for financial profit for something to count as gambling misses the entire point of regulating gambling. It's regulated, not because you might win back a little bit of money, but because you can loose massive amounts of money and it can be as addictive as hard drugs to a lot people. These two issues both equally apply to lootboxes because they are designed to be.

RE Overwatch, I've never played it and was going by points (I clearly misread) made by others in it's defence against being gambling.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,831 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The problem is all these government watchdog groups and self governing bodies are looking at lootboxes and gacha mechanics in terms of their descriptions for taxation purposes. They really need to be looked at and evaluated for their phycological effects and potential to cause addiction. It might not technically be gambling but it you are using phycological tactics that can potentially cause mental and emotional damage to some one by targeting vulnerable people then it's morally bankrupt and you really should be answerable to someone and regulated the same way gambling and narcotics are regulated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

pixelburp wrote: »
    Teenagers are idiots. We were all that age once, and if we're being totally honest, that version of us was a thundering plonker who knew f*ck all. Unless those reading still ARE teenagers, in which case ... ... uh. ;)

So the idea of teenagers walking away with a million, before they have the emotional maturity to deal with that kind of money, is depressing. Can't be good for development of an adult with rational expectations. Presumably it's going into a trust mind you.

And before someone says it, I absolutely think the same of teenage Premiership footballers and their ilk. Rugby at least tries make its youngsters finish school (and professionals tend to peak later, given the specificity of positions).

Don't be jealous.
    ( I am jealous)

Still crazy amount of money for a kids game though.
    I don't get the hype for it I think it's awful. I much prefer pubg
    But I'm obviously in the minority haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭73bc61lyohr0mu

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    Don't be jealous.
    ( I am jealous)

Still crazy amount of money for a kids game though.
    I don't get the hype for it I think it's awful. I much prefer pubg
    But I'm obviously in the minority haha

I started playing fortnite when it first came out. Had only a small player count and I was winning a good few games. Once it got crazy popular I was getting slaughtered..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

New NoClip doc on IO and the downs & ups of Hitman. Haven't watched it all yet but read that hitman 3 is in development and might be going back to episodic release. Looking forward to giving this a proper watch later. I gave up on hitman 2 fairly quick as i was just speeding through. Would have gotten way more use out if it if it was episodic like the one before it.

I think the Episodic release was terrible idea and they lost a lot of their legacy fans. Going back to full release kept me on reluctantly and only through deep sales with the entire S1/2 purchased pretty cheaply when they were finished. Their obsession to add DRM and always-online restrictions has been one of the biggest criticisms of the series. Needing internet to calculate the mission score and unlock weapons is insane for anything that's not a free-to-play like Warframe.

SBH does a great vid on it, too. Those who buy episodic or invest early get the worst deal. It pays not to be loyal.

I very much doubt IO were to blame for those choices. Square Enix at the time was pushing for always online DRM and forced it on other projects.

SE also had a hard on for episodic content after surprise success of Life is Strange and I'd say pushed it on to IO and hitman.

Hitman 2 (trademark) has always-online requirements and launched with Denuvo (now gone). Wasn't that all IO and their new publisher Warner Bros? Although Warner have the same problems as SE. I remember a Valve moderator had to warn one of the Warner steam mods for deleting posts and saying it was against the rules to discuss DRM and online restrictions. That was years ago though and I think Valve would side with Warner these days now that their review bots discount anything that they detect brings up forbidden topics: DRM being one of them.

I'd be 99 percent sure that those decisions were entirely mandated by the publisher. There's one simple fact to back me up, warner brothers are enthusiastically challenging the likes of EA, Activision and Zenimax for anti consumer practices and vying for the top position as worst publisher in the business.

Internet mouth pieces love to blame game developers for anti consumer practices but it's publishers and their shareholders that are always to blame.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement