Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,206 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Epic set to acquire Rocket League developer... and remove the game from Steam Store later this year (will still be updated for current Steam owners)

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/1/18525842/epic-games-psyonix-acquisition-rocket-league-fortnite-unreal-deal

I've been rather ambivalent about the whole Epic Store debate, but this is a fantastically dumb move from a PR perspective. When you're facing a backlash over exclusives, to start acquiring games that have already launched elsewhere and making them exclusive is bloody mental to be frank. Bloomin' Microsoft still allows Minecraft on other platforms :pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 328 ✭✭ogsjw

Epic set to acquire Rocket League developer... and remove the game from Steam Store later this year

What the hell. All this posturing about the 'long term good of the platform' is complete horsesh1t, and this is further proof. Their choice of developer is not a surprise, psyonix have little credibility or backbone (they went for the lootboxes hard). Rocket League was easily by GOTY 2015 but this is indicative of why I don't play it at all anymore.

What's next? Are they going to lock all Unreal Engine games to EGS on PC? Because that is very likely from where I'm standing. I could even see them introducing something like Xbox Live; paying for playing online on their platform. They could absolutely do it, with Fortnite.

Epic can take a running jump. I'm never spending money on their platform, but making sure I grab all the free games/UE freebies for use in basically any engine that isn't UE.

It's been shown by multiple people that when you take things like gift cards into account, Valve does not walk away with anywhere close to the 30% per sale that Epic claim they do. MS/Sony/Nintendo also take 30% but they have no problem there apparently... Tim Sweeney is a lying hypocrite.

They are completely unrecognizeable from the studio that put out one of the first games I always install on a new build, Unreal Tournament.

Fortnite was a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

ogsjw wrote: »

Fortnite was a mistake.

save the world is a better game than battleroyale

Kinda the type of thing I expect of Epic now, is this the beginning of a new console?

Fortnite and RL with cross play to other consoles in a nice small cheap box would be appealing i guess to someone?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,947 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's no way Epic can paint this as being better for the customer and they are trying to carve out their own little monopoly on the PC.

They can go eat a dick.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    is this the beginning of a new console?

They can kiss my ring. The only reason consoles get away with exclusives is because they produce them, and probably wouldn't if they weren't also trying to sell hardware. On the two or three occasions when Sony and Xbox money-hatted third party games they were criticized and deservedly so too.

It's not even like Steam are infallible; they get lots of things wrong, and are lazy about far too many issues. If you'd told me six months ago I'd be depending on Valve to save the PC space from Epic I would've been very, very confused. But now we have Proton, Valve moving one way, and forced exclusivity (with no linux versions right?) Epic moving the other way. Closer to the Microsoft it has spent years whining about!

God FCK Tim Sweeney.

EDIT: And now I'm hearing that out of the new features planned for April, for their incredibly barebones launcher, ZERO of them launched. Incredible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,343 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I'm afraid Sonic Racing Transformed is better than any Mario Kart.

Come at me!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,947 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm afraid Sonic Racing Transformed is better than any Mario Kart.

Come at me!

Actually, It's one of those things where I might not personally agree but can't argue as it's so close it's down to personal preference.

But if I said that it would be boring so **** you and your opinion!

I'm very disappointed with the direction of the next one. It's a crying shame.

I'm very disappointed with the direction of the next one. It's a crying shame.

It's Sumo Digital making it though? They can usually be counted on to make a cracking racing game.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's Sumo Digital making it though? They can usually be counted on to make a cracking racing game.

It sure is, but it's team racing with only the lame Sonic characters, no classic Sega whatsoever.

It sure is, but it's team racing with only the lame Sonic characters, no classic Sega whatsoever.

What's wrong with the iconic Charmy bee?

There is nothing wrong with any of the Chaotix, they're all great.

That incident where a romhacker was censored got resolved, the censor is 'indefinitely suspended' from approving roms on romhacking.net. https://kotaku.com/rom-hacking-website-removes-volunteer-staffer-who-took-1834486512

That's the good news for today, the bad news is it's looking like Nintendo are locking off most Mario Maker 2 functionality behind NSO, even downloading other people's levels :/ Frog+gradually heating water and all that...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Oh wow, so the term 'Social Justice Warrior/SJW' is a hate term now? I don't know how I feel about that decision tbh. I don't know enough about the site or the rom hacking procedure, so I don't know their lines on what can/can't be hacked. I'd imagine the volunteers are there to make sure there's noting racist/hateful/etc in the hacks. I don't know enough about Pokemon either to know if that move is supposed to be that way for reasons. But I think it's a bit much suspending him indefinitely.

Also, the fact that this Dr. Dos basically said he has a large enough platform to spread his hurt to just paints him as a bit of a dick tbh.

Oh wow, so the term 'Social Justice Warrior/SJW' is a hate term now?

...now? It has been since Day 1. Just because it's acceptable on here doesn't mean it's not disparaging and reductive of 'whatever I don't like that has even a whiff of progressivism about it', it just means the moderation is hilariously godawful. It's unacceptable and toxic to use it in large swathes of the the web, literally being the death of respectful and civil discourse.

Not sure why that was your take away from the article though...

But anyways, rapidly going off the idea of MM2 now, but will wait and see on the actual release. Would probably pick it up physical now in case the gating annoys me because Nintendo are not trying hard enough with NSO for me to justify it... I mean look at Smash's abysmal online performance and Splatoon's tickrate.

Humble Monthly is out, glad I paused, and I think I'm going to unsub altogether. The unlocks are rarely worth it anymore...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

giphy.webp

SY1zePW.gif

23535808.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Loved the south park PC babies episodes.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    What's wrong with the iconic Charmy bee?

I'm not sure how many people are looking forward to driving on a Big The Cat themed track over the Golden Axe world.

Well, really the answer is absolutely no one.

giphy.webp

SY1zePW.gif

23535808.gif

Perfect depiction of what happened to the alt-righter who tried to censor that completely innocuous romhack, right down to him insisting on the separation of the sexes, nice one :D Although who watches South Park anymore, apart from 14 year olds?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1058020/STAR_WARS_Battlefront_Classic_2004/

Battlefront 2004 has released on Steam. No idea it wasn't on there already, I own II. Saw this on sale and wondered why it was only 15% off. That explains it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Although who watches South Park anymore, apart from 14 year olds?

Yeah only 14 year olds like and get top quality satire :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

nix wrote: »
    top quality satire

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh.

The Tartarus v2 is out.

I get what he's saying about the number of keys but it still looks and sounds great for macros/gaming, and is almost half the price of older models like this.

Perfect depiction of what happened to the alt-righter who tried to censor that completely innocuous romhack, right down to him insisting on the separation of the sexes, nice one :D Although who watches South Park anymore, apart from 14 year olds?

What sort of niche bubble ****e are you talking about expecting everyone to know what you mean?

sort of niche

Is this the new 'vocal minority'?

are you talking about expecting everyone to know what you mean?

If you can't follow threads posted (the text that's blue and underlined), kindly do not abusively insist others spoonfeed you. It doesn't make you seem like a nice person, which I'm sure is not representative of how charming you really are. Thank you.

I doubt more than 500 people on earth care about romhacks. So yes, it's a niche.

I doubt more than 500 people on earth care about romhacks. So yes, it's a niche.

It's a month before E3. This is what is going to constitute news until then. This, and Tim Sweeney being an awful twat. Better buckle up!

It's also interesting, I'm sure you'll agree, that a fuller perspective on development of all kinds related to the medium makes one a more informed member of the community, and is generally more interesting than 'Game X is out now'. Is there a new version of Unity out? Does it bring any new features for next-gen? Are there any cool new mods out? Will those modders go on to become hitters at studios later? What studios are overworking their people, the talent we want happy and fresh to make the best games they can? Are there strikes coming, unionization? Gaming is much more than just 'Oh good I can buy game X now'. People spent years making your new game, understanding their trials and tribulations is worthwhile. Maybe not when we're balls deep in E3 and people are trying to talk about just announced titles/next-gen specs (how annoying a prospect) but in downtime like this, it's worthwhile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Who was this lad before he rejoined?

RasTa wrote: »
    Who was this lad before he rejoined?

I'm getting the impression you (the plural form) like silencing voices you don't like a fair amount? Do you think you can get it done faster by trying to claim someone is a re-reg? :pac: That's the 'vocal minority' play again isn't it; 'it can only be one person because I don't agree and my opinion must surely be the consensus'.

So many off-topic posts in this thread, had to report you sorry.

I'm literally the only one I can see posting on topic as well...

Rocket League is getting review bombed just as Borderlands did because of Epic's shenanigans.

https://www.pcgamer.com/rocket-league-is-getting-review-bombed-because-epic-bought-psyonix/?utm_content=buffer18db7&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=buffer-pcgamertw

Generally I don't approve of disingenuous review bombing (I don't like XXX content but I'm saying the gameplay is bad) but this is a legitimate grievance and people are being honest about why they're posting a negative review... I think there's an argument for and against this.

It's a month before E3. This is what is going to constitute news until then. This, and Tim Sweeney being an awful twat. Better buckle up!

It's also interesting, I'm sure you'll agree, that a fuller perspective on development of all kinds related to the medium makes one a more informed member of the community, and is generally more interesting than 'Game X is out now'. Is there a new version of Unity out? Does it bring any new features for next-gen? Are there any cool new mods out? Will those modders go on to become hitters at studios later? What studios are overworking their people, the talent we want happy and fresh to make the best games they can? Are there strikes coming, unionization? Gaming is much more than just 'Oh good I can buy game X now'. People spent years making your new game, understanding their trials and tribulations is worthwhile. Maybe not when we're balls deep in E3 and people are trying to talk about just announced titles/next-gen specs (how annoying a prospect) but in downtime like this, it's worthwhile.

No, most people read a game news thread and want to read about games news. Start a thread about developer news if you have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

"Don't you guys have phones?!" 2.0 for big-brain Blizzard
    https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/bkd5ew/you_need_to_have_a_phone_to_attend_blizzcon_this/emg38xv/
    The app seems like the worst thing you could ever install tbh. Ridiculous. What is wrong with this company.

Game journalist(s) shytin' on MK11 & Ronda Rousey for her being a VA.
    https://youtu.be/f8GaZP7tL-8 Multiple outlets agreeing wholly on a topic again rolleyes.png

Microsoft trying to reduce hard trash talk.
    https://nichegamer.com/2019/05/03/new-xbox-live-community-standards-attempt-to-define-trash-talk/
    Let me get out my crystal ball here and predict it will be a complete failure only to oil up the slippery slide of censorship. (or a success then, based on Microsoft's history)

Speaking of bans - many abound for Apex Legends.
    https://techraptor.net/content/apex-legends-banned-accounts-respawn

No claptrap voice in BL3. That epic investment really paying off for the customer experience.
    https://techraptor.net/content/claptrap-voice-actor-david-eddings-will-not-be-in-borderlands-3-due-to-pay-dispute

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

rabble rabble.

Failsafe then?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement