Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Kiith wrote: »
    It's been 3.5 years since Fallout 4? ****in hell :eek:

So 3 and a half years annoyed at all the stupid endings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

nix wrote: »
    I dont understand how or why PUBG could sue Fortnite when the likes of H1Z1 was out years before it.. :confused:

Its absurd, why even bother? Just focus on making your game better you PUBG twats. Make it as polished as Fortnite and your numbers will rise again..

Would this lawsuit shit be solely the choice of Aul Player unknown himself? or would it be a room of board members deciding it would be profitable? If the prior, i have to say, he is a professional arsehole :rolleyes:

Well a lot of these games have a lot to do with brendan greene,who is now partnered with bluehole.

He started the recent craze for the genre with an Arma mod,Battle Royale. After that he consulted with Daybreak/SOE on H1Z1 then partnered with Bluehole for PUBG.

Seems fortnite is one of the only games he hasnt worked on in the genre!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Kiith wrote: »
    It's been 3.5 years since Fallout 4? ****in hell :eek:

Two and a half, it came out in Nov 2015.

Mind you Witcher 3 is over 3 years old and GTAV will be having it's 5th birthday in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,116 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Fallout: Skyrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

EoinHef wrote: »
    Well a lot of these games have a lot to do with brendan greene,who is now partnered with bluehole.

He started the recent craze for the genre with an Arma mod,Battle Royale. After that he consulted with Daybreak/SOE on H1Z1 then partnered with Bluehole for PUBG.

Seems fortnite is one of the only games he hasnt worked on in the genre!!

But he didn't come up with the original concept himself so wouldn't the fact that PUBG is based on a hugely popular cult movie from 2000 which itself was based on a 1999 novel, not be a major stumbling block for any lawsuit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,503 ✭✭✭✭Varik

PUBG are saying it's user interface and game items.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Fallout isn't from Obsidian, they denied it on twitter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,884 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Politics people. Politics.

The pubg law suit will be thrown out of court. The case where capcom sued data east over their fighter and lost is a carbon copy of what happened here.

However if pubg can delay fortnite long enough to establish itself in the biggest esports and pc gaming country on the world it could be enough to hold off or crush fortnite. 

Also fortnite has no personality with its poundland version overwatch/team fortress 2 art. Pretty sure if the game wasn't free freemium it would be dead in the water. So fair play to epic for seeing and exploiting that hole in the market

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

I wish Bethesda would just take some time and improve the fallout engine. It always feels so clunky, ugly and buggy. Alas I doubt that's what has happened :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Varik wrote: »
    PUBG are saying it's user interface and game items.

oh.... for a second there I thought they didnt have a leg to stand on..

LOL

:pac::pac::pac:

Theres a balloon, looking like its gonna be a Fallout 3 anniversary thing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

In which case, meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Benzino wrote: »
    I wish Bethesda would just take some time and improve the fallout engine. It always feels so clunky, ugly and buggy. Alas I doubt that's what has happened :(

What does the the pip-boy figure mean anyway? Is it for people who have really small heads?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

In which case, meh.

Fallout 3 was brilliant but I played through it so many times, as above, they'd want to upgrade the engine. I don't think I'd be too pushed with it. Even with a polish, it would look old as ****.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Fallout 3 was brilliant but I played through it so many times, as above, they'd want to upgrade the engine. I don't think I'd be too pushed with it. Even with a polish, it would look old as ****.

Yeah, my "meh" is really just borne of how overly familiar I am with the original. Would prefer something new.

It's already 4k on the one x & PC.
    No need for it.

Unless it's a switch port then meh

If you missed any of the "action" from the Bethesda stream, there's a recap on reddit. Definitely pointing to the ten year anniversary now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Jason Schreier on Kotaku says "...from what we’ve heard, this is a new game, one that takes the series in a brand new direction. We’re expecting to see more tomorrow."

• Registered Users Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Notorious wrote: »
    Jason Schreier on Kotaku says "...from what we’ve heard, this is a new game, one that takes the series in a brand new direction. We’re expecting to see more tomorrow."

Oh ****, whoever guessed Fallout Battle Royale was right, weren't they....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,884 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Zero-Cool wrote: »

It was great but New Vegas totally outclasses it that it's hard to go back to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Fallout Tactics Remastered

Notorious wrote: »

Ugh, Capitol Wasteland Online?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Venom wrote: »
    But he didn't come up with the original concept himself so wouldn't the fact that PUBG is based on a hugely popular cult movie from 2000 which itself was based on a 1999 novel, not be a major stumbling block for any lawsuit?

This is the problem I always have with PUBG Corp’s litigious approach - their very game concept is borrowed wholesale from another piece of work, right down to the genre name and cosmetic items referencing the inspiration. That’s not even going into the commercial battle royale games that preceded it. It’s surely frustrating to see your success surpassed by doing the same thing, but IMO PUBG’s lack of polish and character has always put it in a precarious position anyway, even if its gameplay flow still feels better than the competitors. Still, it always comes across as sour grapes to me when they file all these lawsuits, particularly when they’ve shamelessly drawn inspiration from other sources themselves.

They've filed one lawsuit which any idiot lawyer will know is going to fail. It's a stalling tactic to delay the launch of fortnite in Korea which it so happens to coincide with.

Plenty of game journalists and youtube personalities seem to have thought they were law graduates when they hear this news.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    They've filed one lawsuit which any idiot lawyer will know is going to fail. It's a stalling tactic to delay the launch of fortnite in Korea which it so happens to coincide with.

Plenty of game journalists and youtube personalities seem to have thought they were law graduates when they hear this news.

Not the first time they’ve done it. Even though the previous games were shameless clones* (and hence may have a much stronger case), the sheer cheek of trying to claim ‘frying pan’ as a copyrightable object is obvious when many of PUBG’s ideas are taken pretty much unaltered from a book/film. Or that, farcically, another game ripped off their ‘energy drink’ items when the original PUBG energy drink is very obviously a rip-off of Red Bull.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/04/pubg-creators-finally-decide-a-copycat-game-has-gone-too-far-file-suit/

Frivolous and ultimately unsuccessful these lawsuits may be - especially the new one - but they sure as hell deserve criticism for being so cheekily litigious when they’re no strangers to borrowing ideas... perhaps even *more* worthy of criticism if their main goal is to merely delay a game’s release :)

*not defending clones, btw - still hate the way 2048 became more popular than the vastly superior Threes. But I think Fortnite goes well beyond being a mere clone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Not sure what the delay is ...

I live in Korea and have it here on PC and PS4.
    In fact when I signed up for the PC one, I had to jump through all the stupid Korean internet hoops of using my ID card and personal info in order to register.
    Website/game was in Korea too.

It's already out here a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Well, it looks like Nintendo have won this year. And now I have to go and buy a Switch. From the looks of it, whatever you've caught on Pokemon Go can be transferred to the new game on Switch.

Rumours for the Bethesda announcement say their 'new' game is Fallout 3 on Switch, because gods forbid they make a new game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Well, it looks like Nintendo have won this year. And now I have to go and buy a Switch. From the looks of it, whatever you've caught on Pokemon Go can be transferred to the new game on Switch.

Rumours for the Bethesda announcement say their 'new' game is Fallout 3 on Switch, because gods forbid they make a new game.

Expected a MUCH bigger step up and difference from Sun/Moon.

Looks very similar tbh. And they were **** too.
    I bought a 3DS specifically for it...biggest gaming purchase regret.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Expected a MUCH bigger step up and difference from Sun/Moon.

Aye, I thought we were getting a new style of game. Looks very similar to previous iterations, but catching pokemon now looks like a pain in the neck.

Great advert though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement