Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,199 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Still not played it or bought it. Might do soon though, finally seeing it for under 20 on some key sites.

RasTa wrote:
    Who in the world doesn't own a copy of GTA5 these days?

I only had it on PS3, been meaning to get it on PC or PS4 but I hated the yoga mission so much I don't think I could do it again and with the online being a hackers paradise I'm not sure its worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

RasTa wrote: »

I was going to say me but then I remembered I bought a copy just to try it in VR :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Mickeroo wrote: »
    That's the figures for May. God of War is the second best selling game of the year after Far Cry 5 according to that article.

Yes, hence why I posted a link to the article. The figures are released today for May's NPD which shows State of Decay 2 is best selling in May :confused:

This is the gaming news thread if I am not mistaken and thats fresh news.

Do you deliberately set out to take facts and then bend them to suit an agenda?

What you wrote is complete and utter fiction and applies only to the month of May. God of War launched in April and sold something like 3 million copies in its first weekend and had topped 5 million in its first month of release. I think that someone said that State of Decay has a player base of 2 million users between its release on May 22 and June 4 meaning that no matter how you try and swing it, God of War has still massively outsold it in every way possible and let's not forget that when MS says it has a player base of 2 million that is not from sales alone but also Games Pass meaning that with the month of May the game is unlikely to have sold close to 2 million copies.

Just posting today's gaming news. It seems to be upsetting a lot of people for some reason.

Wow, you wont even congratulate a small indie studio for outselling God of war in May.

shelbyville-sour.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,025 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Bambi wrote: »
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    ......$7,227.12

Ouch.

Wowza, how many hats you got?

I'm $2,579.85 in about 11 years

That's pretty reasonable

All on games. Majority not played I'd say 😂

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Yes, hence why I posted a link to the article. The figures are released today for May's NPD which shows State of Decay 2 is best selling in May :confused:

This is the gaming news thread if I am not mistaken and thats fresh news.

I shouldn't even rise to it, but…
    Wow, State of Decay 2 outsells God of War.

Thats not even including Game Pass on Xbox.

Well done to Undead Labs. There are only 50 people working there.

You linked the article but nothing in your original post mentions that you're talking about just the sales figures in relation to May.

I must admit, the sales figures are pretty impressive for a game that's got such mediocre reviews.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I must admit, the sales figures are pretty impressive for a game that's got such mediocre reviews.

Well, we are pretty starved for exclusives on Xbox, bound to be some pent up demand for anything really.

While it got only okayish reviews, it still has a cult following from the first game, some of whom have been preaching about how it's not bad at all online.

You linked the article but nothing in your original post mentions that your talking about just the sales figures in relation to May.

I'd understand if I didn't post a link, but I did. People just too triggered thinking its some sort of attack on their favourite game. Its like I am calling their kids ugly :D

I was giving a massive congrats to a small indie studio. Thats a hell of an achievement. Thats their last game as an indie now that they have been acquired by Microsoft. They'll probably grow the studio now.

I was wondering why Phil Spencer was saying in a recent interview that they will be making State of Decay 3. He must have been looking at the sales data and noting how well it sold at launch.

Just posting today's gaming news. It seems to be upsetting a lot of people for some reason.

Wow, you wont even congratulate a small indie studio for outselling God of war in May.[/IMG]

I don't actually think it did consider that Xbox has claimed that by June 4th it had a player base of 2 million which includes both sales of the game and Game Pass players so that leads me to believe that the sales figures quoted are for shipped boxes and not actual in-store and digital sales. It's like when MS say they shipped so many consoles, it means nothing unless you know how many of those consoles sold and aren't sitting in stock rooms.

Also, were they a small indie studio given that they partnered up with MS in 2014 so it is most likely a case that MS paid part of or most of the development cost of SoD2.

Considering the fact that there are so few first-party titles on the One I even paid the 30 euro to buy it simply to have a reason to continue owning my One. I think that beyond maybe a Forza title and Cuphead there wasn't any big exclusive on the One last year and given that Sea of Thieves is an empty and not that fun game I took a punt on State of Deacy 2 and have already given up on it. It's grand for what it is, a low budget and bug filled co-op title that feels like an expansion for the first game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,358 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

RasTa wrote: »

giphy.gif

I don't actually think it did consider that Xbox has claimed that by June 4th it had a player base of 2 million which includes both sales of the game and Game Pass players so that leads me to believe that the sales figures quoted are for shipped boxes and not actual in-store and digital sales. It's like when MS say they shipped so many consoles, it means nothing unless you know how many of those consoles sold and aren't sitting in stock rooms.
    Sales to customers.

Some people buy games and they get added to whats called a Backlodocus more commonly known as a backlog :D
    Also, were they a small indie studio given that they partnered up with MS in 2014 so it is most likely a case that MS paid part of or most of the development cost of SoD2.
    Microsoft was their publisher. Similar to how Sony was No mans sky publisher. Both indie studios at the time.
    Considering the fact that there are so few first-party titles on the One I even paid the 30 euro to buy it simply to have a reason to continue owning my One. I think that beyond maybe a Forza title and Cuphead there wasn't any big exclusive on the One last year and given that Sea of Thieves is an empty and not that fun game I took a punt on State of Deacy 2 and have already given up on it. It's grand for what it is, a low budget and bug filled co-op title that feels like an expansion for the first game.
    Wow, bitter much. Why don't you sell your Xbox. It sounds like its getting beaten in a closet every night :D

Microsoft was their publisher. Similar to how Sony was No mans sky publisher. Both indie studios at the time.

Pretty certain that Sony paid for some development costs of No Mans Sky. There's also no word on when MS bought them so they may have been a MS studio for some time.
    Some people buy games and they get added to whats called a Backlodocus more commonly known as a backlog

Not with new games, you can clutch at all the straws you want but at the end of the day sales for SoD2 are tiny compared to GoW. Those lists are great but unless it has actual verified sales figures from stores and from MS digital sales its guess work at best. We know how many copies of GoW have sold, Sony have repeatedly celebrated what a success it is. MS have not done similar with SoD2 though you seem to think that millions of people bought the game and haven't even played it yet.

As for the rest of your comment, it would be nice to have a discussion about consoles without this unnecessary vitriol. Most people on here love games, sadly some seem to just just love a company. I want MS to succeed, I want great exclusives for my One but it is not the case. And it's a shame that Xbox offers so little.

Pretty certain that Sony paid for some development costs of No Mans Sky. There's also no word on when MS bought them so they may have been a MS studio for some time.

Not with new games, you can clutch at all the straws you want but at the end of the day sales for SoD2 are tiny compared to GoW. Those lists are great but unless it has actual verified sales figures from stores and from MS digital sales its guess work at best. We know how many copies of GoW have sold, Sony have repeatedly celebrated what a success it is. MS have not done similar with SoD2 though you seem to think that millions of people bought the game and haven't even played it yet.

As for the rest of your comment, it would be nice to have a discussion about consoles without this unnecessary vitriol. Most people on here love games, sadly some seem to just just love a company. I want MS to succeed, I want great exclusives for my One but it is not the case. And it's a shame that Xbox offers so little.
    Why can't you congratulate a small indie studio of less than 50 people for outselling God of War in May?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Since it's release has GTA5 been out of the top 10 in sales for US NPD. Surely it's not the same over in Europe considering the game is 5 years old

I can't see Red Dead doing as well.

Why would I feel the need to, unless you know someone working in the studio then there should be no need to congratulate a studio with the backing of one of the biggest companies in the world. Also, until we see actual sales figures those are to be taken with a pinch of salt. MS don't release sales figures, boxed or digital so those figures are guess work. MS have said that by June 4 it had a player base of 2 million, let's say gamepaas makes up 50% of that then the sales figures they have on that site mean that either there are millions of copies of SoD2 sitting wrapped in plastic in gamers homes or its copies shipped and an estimate for digital sales. This isn't an Xbox vs PS thing and there's no need to paint it as one, nor is it indie vs first party as SoD2 got MS funding unless I was misinformed by a MS game produced who I've worked with in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Wow, you wont even congratulate a small indie studio for outselling God of war in May.

shelbyville-sour.gif
    You initially tried to make out it flat out outsold GOW, not just for the month of May - people are correctly pointing out that was very misleading. To be honest I do not understand this "console wars" mentality, it's incredibly juvenile and something I had thought died a decade ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Why can't you congratulate a small indie studio of less than 50 people for outselling God of War in May?

Because he's an animal… I bet if he was an 80 year old priest he'd be smacking the heads off babies and everything...

Why would I feel the need to, unless you know someone working in the studio then there should be no need to congratulate a studio with the backing of one of the biggest companies in the world. Also, until we see actual sales figures those are to be taken with a pinch of salt. MS don't release sales figures, boxed or digital so those figures are guess work. MS have said that by June 4 it had a player base of 2 million, let's say gamepads makes up 50% of that then the sales figures they have on that site mean that either there are millions of copies of SoD2 sitting unwrapped in gamers homes or its copies shipped and am estimate for digital sales. This isn't an Xbox vs PS thing and there's no need to paint it as one, nor is it indie vs first party as SoD2 got MS funding unless I was misinformed by a MS game produced who I've worked with in the past.
    As a gamer though it seems quite petty.

I didn't think I'd find anyone who would begrudge a small indie studio success. We need more successful indie games and we are starting to see that more often which is awesome.

Outselling GOW is quite a feat. I expected May/June to be heavily dominated by GOW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Criterion founders reveal two new games [Eurogamer]
    Pining for a new Burnout? EA doesn't seem interested in having Criterion make a new one just yet. But we may soon get a couple of spiritual successors from the founders of the famed UK studio.

Three Fields Entertainment, which is led by Criterion founders Fiona Sperry and Alex Ward, has announced Danger Zone 2 (the sequel to the studio's 2017 game Danger Zone) and Dangerous Driving, both for PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

Seems they've split the racing and crash modes from Burnout into two separate games. I find that kind of odd actually, maybe they plan to make more money that way? Either way, looking forward to these, hope they turn out good.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,141 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Blizzard are patenting the play of the game system from Overwatch.

Shame, it's a nice feature that would've been cool to see in other mp games, even if all it boils down to is stroking your own ego for a few seconds!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

PUBG have pulled out of their Fortnite lawsuit.
    Hard to see how they could have won anyway...

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-06-27-pubg-pulls-out-of-fortnite-lawsuit

• Sony finally responds to the recent hammering they are receiving over their cross-play failures. The answer is a pure cop out tho

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2018/06/27/sony-confident-itll-find-a-cross-play-solution-that-will-be-accepted-by-players

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I moved around 10 pages of chat to the General Discussion thread there. Let's try keep this for actual news and related discussion.

I may have moved some actual news, so apologies if i did. There was just a lot of it, and i didn't have time to go through every post.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Doesn't make the news when talking about trade wars but it's not only Harleys and Oranges that are hit with Tariffs, bunch of electronics are too.

If anyone is looking at US manufactured controllers from EU suppliers or controllers from a US supplier, they're going to be effected by tariff increases.

Rate is going from 1.9% to 50%.

If you're buying from a EU supplier nothing changes as the price you're given is it (listed price could increase dependant on the their supplier) but no surprises, if you import yourself then you might get a nasty bill from customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Inviere

Varik wrote: »
    Rate is going from 1.9% to 50%.

Begun, the trade wars have...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

J. Marston wrote: »
    Blizzard are patenting the play of the game system from Overwatch.

They are trying to. An important distinction. Something tells me they wont succeed....or if they do, it won't be on the terms they want.

Companies have a tough time with things like this. Replay highlights have been around a long time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement