Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

CatInABox wrote: »
    Where are you getting this from? They have weekly sales that often have great deals, in some cases lower priced than steam sales.

I get it from owning every Xbox console. Yes, they have weekly sales and yes they often have prices lower than on steam but traditionally MS sales have been pretty poor and made up of a couple of discounts on biggish titles and then 90% junk. And you know they all do it but if you are waiting for a sale on a specific title on the MS store you are waiting a long time. Compare the current sales on the PSN, for example, they have dozens of big titles for under 15 and at the minute there are 547 titles on offer.

I have both consoles and I want value for money but 9.9 times out of 10 I go with the PSN for digital games as the prices are far better, games go on sale and drop in price much much quicker and older titles routinely see price points dropping.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,200 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Discounts tend to be the same on both consoles for multi platform titles.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Discounts tend to be the same on both consoles for multi platform titles.

They really don't, I'm looking at discounts on the two atm and there are dozens of multiplatform titles on sale on the PSN that are not on sale on the Xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Pretty sure he means the discount offered, not that sales have to or tend to occur at the same time.

Varik wrote: »
    Pretty sure he means the discount offered, not that sales have to or tend to occur at the same time.

Even then they aren't, with newer games around Winter time you may see similar pricing but rest of the year you don't. I'm not knocking the One, I have the One S beside my TV at home but there is simply no comparison between the sales offered between it and the PS4.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,200 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

No that's not true, discounts tend to be much the same for multi platform titles. Even on steam I don't notice much of a difference anymore (key sites are a different story obviously).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

No that's not true, discounts tend to be much the same for multi platform titles. Even on steam I don't notice much of a difference anymore (key sites are a different story obviously).

I just did a cursory check and he's right from the titles I checked with PS Prices - about €2-3 difference for the likes of Assassin's Creed Origins, Far Cry 5 and Watch Dogs 2 up to €5 for South Park: Fractured But Whole and €10 for Wolfenstein 2.

Edit: Titanfall 2 was only €6 on Xbox compared to €15 on PS4 though.

Well then I stand corrected, though I would have expected some differences. What site you use for the comparison?

Well then I stand corrected, though I would have expected some differences. What site you use for the comparison?

PS Prices - gives you the option to search for PS4 or Xbox One and gives you a breakdown of highest and lowest prices and when they went on sale.

It is true, all you have to do is take a look at the two stores and see the pricing from week to week. It's not just sales prices but there are loads of third-party games which are a couple euro cheaper on the PSN over Xbox. Xbox One sales are generally small, it's a couple of titles with loads of DLC on sale also. PSN at one time generally has dozens if not hundreds of games at a discount and titles on the PSN drop in price quicker.

• Advertisement

Tbf, I'd prefer a service like Game Pass to a couple of euros extra off on a sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

It's been that way for PC games for a long time.

Which, that distributors charge retailers a lot more for keys? I'm not questioning you on it by the way, just seems completely mental and one of those annoying situations where the industry is trying to not make any sense on purpose (something that is almost always done for no other reason than 'shut up an gimme more miney').

Tbf, I'd prefer a service like Game Pass to a couple of euros extra off on a sale.

I much prefer to own a game than renting it and recently stopped gamepass as most of the games I wanted to play in it I already owned and while the prospect of new games being added on release day is great, it's less so when you realise how rare it is. Netflix for gaming has a long way to come and isn't going to work until such a time as multiple publishers come together with one service, from E3 the EA one is supposed to run brilliantly. My biggest concern is that I don't want to have 5 or 5 different game streaming services in order to get games I want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

CatInABox wrote: »
    Where are you getting this from? They have weekly sales that often have great deals, in some cases lower priced than steam sales.
    I've actually noticed that when looking for deals on pc games a few times lately. Knocked the smugness right off my PC owning face, so it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Talking of digital, you can now check how much you've spent on Steam:
    https://www.pcgamer.com/this-steam-page-lets-you-check-how-much-money-youve-spent-on-video-games/

https://help.steampowered.com/en/accountdata/AccountSpend

I'm at... $1,399.28 over 8 years.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,282 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Billy86 wrote: »
    I've actually noticed that when looking for deals on pc games a few times lately. Knocked the smugness right off my PC owning face, so it did.

Yeah, the days of the epic steam sales are long gone now, which is a shame.

Darko, I'll admit I don't know much about the PSN sales, having had a look there, they do seem to be better. The MS sales aren't as good on a regular basis, but the big sales are usually pretty good. It's the only way I buy games now, I can't remember the last time I bought a full price game.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,360 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    https://www.pcgamer.com/this-steam-page-lets-you-check-how-much-money-youve-spent-on-video-games/

hmm smaller than I thought

TotalSpend 2018-06-20 20:37:14.470 $1,411.22
    OldSpend 2018-06-20 20:37:14.470 $1,366.65
    PWSpend 2018-06-20 20:37:14.470 $0.00

Steam calculator returns

Account Value
    16708€ — 55052€

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

The massive Xbox advantage that makes it destroy the PS store is you only need 1 account to buy off regions from all over the world. DLC can be bought in any region regardless of where the game was purchased and it will work.

If you get comfortable region hopping and what it requires the money you save is incredible.

The massive Xbox advantage that makes it destroy the PS store is you only need 1 account to buy off regions from all over the world. DLC can be bought in any region regardless of where the game was purchased and it will work.

Not really a huge advantage given that MS has on previous gens banned people from doing this so I wouldn't be too shocked to see people lose access to titles and even accounts in the future. At least with Sony they've always let you bug content on different stores and then access it on main account and never console banned anyone for messing around with account region or VPNing to get a deal or free game.

Not really a huge advantage given that MS has on previous gens banned people from doing this so I wouldn't be too shocked to see people lose access to titles and even accounts in the future. At least with Sony they've always let you bug content on different stores and then access it on main account and never console banned anyone for messing around with account region or VPNing to get a deal or free game.
    No one has been banned during this gen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,027 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

......$7,227.12

Ouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Not as bad as I thought. Think that Humble Bundles and the like have kept it down.

TotalSpend 2018-03-17 11:48:53.340 $1,863.59
    OldSpend 2018-03-17 11:48:53.340 $1,647.56
    PWSpend 2018-03-17 11:48:53.340 $0.00

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

In 14.6 years

TotalSpend $777.39
    OldSpend $305.75

43 out of 69 games played

Though i think some of them games not played were just on it before they started tallying stats :D

Wow, State of Decay 2 outsells God of War.

Thats not even including Game Pass on Xbox.

Well done to Undead Labs. There are only 50 people working there.

https://venturebeat.com/2018/06/21/may-npd-2018-state-of-decays-second-act-chews-its-way-to-the-top/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    ......$7,227.12

Ouch.

Wowza, how many hats you got?

I'm $2,579.85 in about 11 years

That's pretty reasonable

No one has been banned during this gen.

Just because no one has been banned does not mean that they won't be. Changing your region to avail of content at a cheaper price than in your region is technically a breach of the Xbox One Terms or Service, just because they are not enforcing does not mean that it should be advocated as a plus or some special add on. In the past MS has console banned and account banned people for doing what you are advocating and there is no reason to believe that they won't do it again.

https://venturebeat.com/2018/06/21/may-npd-2018-state-of-decays-second-act-chews-its-way-to-the-top/

That's the figures for May. God of War is the second best selling game of the year after Far Cry 5 according to that article.

Do you deliberately set out to take facts and then bend them to suit an agenda?

What you wrote is complete and utter fiction and applies only to the month of May. God of War launched in April and sold something like 3 million copies in its first weekend and had topped 5 million in its first month of release. I think that someone said that State of Decay has a player base of 2 million users between its release on May 22 and June 4 meaning that no matter how you try and swing it, God of War has still massively outsold it in every way possible and let's not forget that when MS says it has a player base of 2 million that is not from sales alone but also Games Pass meaning that with the month of May the game is unlikely to have sold close to 2 million copies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Who in the world doesn't own a copy of GTA5 these days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

RasTa wrote: »
    Who in the world doesn't own a copy of GTA5 these days?

Had it on PS4, played it, finished it, and sold it.

So not me :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement