Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Athletics 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭horsebox1977

Any results from the meet in Tilburg?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Any results from the meet in Tilburg?

https://www.t-meeting.nl/en/results-and-media/live-results/

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mar Azul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Mar Azul wrote: »

Did Hamish find his pen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Itziger

That Brian Fay lad looked good in the 3,000 steeple. Big PB and full of running. Surely some more to come off that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Forge83

Itziger wrote: »
    That Brian Fay lad looked good in the 3,000 steeple. Big PB and full of running. Surely some more to come off that time.

Great decision for Brian to try the steeple. We need a decent steeplechaser as it’s a fairly soft event in Ireland.
    More of our elite 1500-5k runners should try their hand at it.

4th on the all time list, 11 secs off the big Q. Still don't understand why more dont give it a go.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Names of those competing in the Ethiopian Olympics trials published.
    https://twitter.com/angasurunning/status/1394700195666042883?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1394700195666042883%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.embedly.com%2Fwidgets%2Fmedia.html%3Ftype%3Dtext2Fhtmlkey%3Dcb7145f1731b4c328f8e4d2201854ceaschema%3Dtwitterurl%3Dhttps3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Fangasurunning%2Fstatus%2F1394700195666042883%2Fphoto%2F2image%3Dhttps3A%2F%2Fabs.twimg.com%2Ferrors%2Flogo46x38.png

Perhaps what jumps out at me the most is that some of the biggest names are down for one event only. Gidey and Tsegay are both down for only the 5k, seems mad to me that they wouldn't try and double? Particularly when the latter has just ran one of the fastest ever 10k's, and has yet to run faster than 14:46 for 5k. Hope this changes.

jamule wrote: »
    4th on the all time list, 11 secs off the big Q. Still don't understand why more dont give it a go.

Certainly great running, fastest time since 1985 which is kinda scary.
    And while it's 11 seconds of QT it would also take a national record to hit that time.

Fair play to him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Ciara Mageean lost to Jenna Bromwell this evening over 800m. That doesn't bode well for Tokyo I'm afraid.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Ciara Mageean lost to Jenna Bromwell this evening over 800m. That doesn't bode well for Tokyo I'm afraid.

Aiming to peak the end of july, no pressure in her to run fast times just yet. She seems to be an atlhlete that peaks when it matters (well i hope so!)

Aiming to peak the end of july, no pressure in her to run fast times just yet. She seems to be an atlhlete that peaks when it matters (well i hope so!)

Sure, but 2:03.5?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I’m guessing there was an injury or illness because she was down to run Gateshead last week and didn’t make it

You might be right of course but I’d be wary of projecting her Tokyo result based off one run over 800m tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 13 RunOnTheLeft

Id say the head ain't right with Ciara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Sure, but 2:03.5?

The women's 800 was very messy. The pacer made it to about 350m and only Ellie Baker went with her (actually it seemed more like that the pacer started running out of steam after around 250m and the gap was closing quickly). Only Izzy Boffey got close to Baker in the last 100m. Ciara wasn't in it, but she did seem to shut down before the line, so I'd say the time is a little misleading, but obviously not in peak shape atm. Still only May and she's not chasing a QT, so can plan her peak more judiciously.

Otherwise, very interesting meet. Georgie Hartigan finished like a train in the last 100m to take the women's 1500m, Conor Bradley also looked good in the men's 5000m before being out-kicked on the home straight.

Brian Fay was very smooth - the way he ran the last 600m would suggest that the NR is in sight for him. Never looked in trouble and put 6s into the 2nd place finisher in the last lap and a half (who had looked quite good up to that point too!).

Lots of other good races to watch - we should definitely aspire to hosting a meet of that standard in Ireland.

Poor Aoife Cooke looked a bit mortified on the Late Late when Ryan Tubridy asked her about her medal prospects for Tokyo.

Stellar background research by Tubridy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭4Ad

https://youtu.be/tU3yYvkiWiQ

Ladies 3000mts from Doha yesterday, great race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Poor Aoife Cooke looked a bit mortified on the Late Late when Ryan Tubridy asked her about her medal prospects for Tokyo.

Stellar background research by Tubridy.

It was a joke. It was like he was waving them off to the community games in Mosney with his blessing. Derval and Daithi were impressive.

• Advertisement

Michelle finn just outside a pb with 9.39.

1500m looks like fun later

Phil Healy has just run 51.50. Class.

Sophie Becker 52.32. Huge PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mar Azul

Some fine racing but the audio is fcekin awful, killing my buzz.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Bit of a disappointing meet last night, neither Chepkoech nor Gidey showing up for the steeple and 3k respectively. Solid opener from Emma Coburn, 9:08 for her first steeple in over a year and a half. Not a brilliant start for Krause with a 9:16 opener. Norah Jeruto came close to a sub-9 finish, I'd always wondered why she never ran at Worlds 2019 when she was (I think) the sole person to get a win over Chepkoech that year. Turns out she runs for a club in Kazakhstan and competes at the Kazakh championships, so might not even be at the Olympics this Summer unless she changes her allegiance. Not entirely sure how all that stuff works behind the scenes, but it'll be very strange if one of the fastest steeplechasers in history who's in good shape doesn't get to run the event at the Olympics.

El Bakaali looked very good in the 1500, 3:31.95 PB, should translate very well to the steeple this Summer. Really looking forward to what he'll bring to the table, would love him to get a gold in Tokyo.

Faith Kipyegon also looked incredible in the 800, I wonder could she have the double on her mind? Would like to see her in a race with Wilson and Nakaayi.

Poor race from Hellen Obiri to be outkicked by three women she should be beating soundly. Hopefully just a rust buster, because she'll really have her work cut out for her in the Tokyo 5k competing against Hassan, Gidey and Tsegay.

Andrew Coscoran knocking on the door of automatic QT in Holland. Winning 1500m in 3.36.09

Phil Healy has just run 51.50. Class.

Sophie Becker 52.32. Huge PB.

Some running! Cliodhna Manning 3rd in 53.1 also which is massive for her first race in a while and puts her ahead of Sharlene Mawdsley. Expect a big chunk off that time over the next 4 weeks too from Cliodhna. Hoping Jenna Bromell has a run out over 400m as she ran 2.02 for 800 today so in shape to run a fast 400.

Cillin Greene pipped Robert McDonnell in the 400 running 46.4 and 46.5 in a race that included Andrew Mellon who gave up with 40/50m to go. Shane Monagle in his first 400 race ran a solo 47.7 in the B race. Another guy who looks like he will run 46. He was a hurdler previously so maybe a 4 hurdler..... Matthew Behan ran 49 also today so if yes he has a nice advantage on him already.
    Disappointed not to see Brian Gregan or Cathal Crosbie running today.
    Like Jenna on the women’s side, hoping Purcell will run a 400 soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭hurdles1

Forge83 wrote: »
    Some running! Cliodhna Manning 3rd in 53.1 also which is massive for her first race in a while and puts her ahead of Sharlene Mawdsley. Expect a big chunk off that time over the next 4 weeks too from Cliodhna. Hoping Jenna Bromell has a run out over 400m as she ran 2.02 for 800 today so in shape to run a fast 400.

Cillin Greene pipped Robert McDonnell in the 400 running 46.4 and 46.5 in a race that included Andrew Mellon who gave up with 40/50m to go. Shane Monagle in his first 400 race ran a solo 47.7 in the B race. Another guy who looks like he will run 46. He was a hurdler previously so maybe a 4 hurdler..... Matthew Behan ran 49 also today so if yes he has a nice advantage on him already.
    Disappointed not to see Brian Gregan or Cathal Crosbie running today.
    Like Jenna on the women’s side, hoping Purcell will run a 400 soon.

Really hotting up for places now for this mixed relay. Interesting few weeks ahead if these 800m athletes mentioned above run some 400s.
    Id say Becker has cemented her place on the team for that 3rd leg after the weekend performance. Maudsley will have to pull out something special in the weeks ahead to keep her 3rd slot. Manning could be a dark horse. She could improve her 53 on saturday if she stays fit and healty and Brommell recent pbs ovet 800m indicates shes in good form and could drop a big 400m if she goes for it.
    On the mens side the Galway boys are flying serious runs over weekend and have surely overtaken Mellon in the pecking order
    Purcell will surely drop a decent 400 flying over 800 at the moment. He could run a low 46..
    At the moment id say Becker maudsley and Manning plus Greene Purcell O Donnell
    To join Healy and Barr will qualify in their individual events to make panel of 8.
    plenty to play for in the coming weeks hopefully they'll all stay fit abd healthy.

hurdles1 wrote: »
    Really hotting up for places now for this mixed relay. Interesting few weeks ahead if these 800m athletes mentioned above run some 400s.
    Id say Becker has cemented her place on the team for that 3rd leg after the weekend performance. Maudsley will have to pull out something special in the weeks ahead to keep her 3rd slot. Manning could be a dark horse. She could improve her 53 on saturday if she stays fit and healty and Brommell recent pbs ovet 800m indicates shes in good form and could drop a big 400m if she goes for it.
    On the mens side the Galway boys are flying serious runs over weekend and have surely overtaken Mellon in the pecking order
    Purcell will surely drop a decent 400 flying over 800 at the moment. He could run a low 46..
    At the moment id say Becker maudsley and Manning plus Greene Purcell O Donnell
    To join Healy and Barr will qualify in their individual events to make panel of 8.
    plenty to play for in the coming weeks hopefully they'll all stay fit abd healthy.

We are assuming they will be picked based on times. Could they be picked on top 2 at nationals and 1 by the selectors?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭hurdles1

We are assuming they will be picked based on times. Could they be picked on top 2 at nationals and 1 by the selectors?

Good question, current form has to play a big part and Nationals head to heads. I hope it goes smoothly and the best qualified athletes get the slots, no controversy.

hurdles1 wrote: »
    Good question, current form has to play a big part and Nationals head to heads. I hope it goes smoothly and the best qualified athletes get the slots, no controversy.

Top 3 over the line would make men's and women's 400s serious spectacles. Hopefully they announce that in advance so everyone knows the drill going in.

Maybe some sort of prerequisite needed like a sub 48/sub 54, just in case about 3 or 4 get sick/injured on the day, to avoid having significantly slower runners making the team.

Top 3 over the line would make men's and women's 400s serious spectacles. Hopefully they announce that in advance so everyone knows the drill going in.

Maybe some sort of prerequisite needed like a sub 48/sub 54, just in case about 3 or 4 get sick/injured on the day, to avoid having significantly slower runners making the team.

The big problem is you most likely rule out the likes of Purcell or Bromell if they lay down decent 400m times beforehand as they will want to run 800s at nationals.

I think it looks like it will be the selectors decision in full taking into account a lot of factors as below. My reading of it is that if it’s a close choice, those who competed at World relays will get the nod.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭FitzjamesHorse

The nature of these things is that there will always be controversy. And inevitably local resentment. And as long as it does not affect the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 RunOnTheLeft

Ceepo wrote: »
    Andrew Coscoran knocking on the door of automatic QT in Holland. Winning 1500m in 3.36.09

3:35.00 is the AOT?

3:35.00 is the AOT?

That's correct

The big problem is you most likely rule out the likes of Purcell or Bromell if they lay down decent 400m times beforehand as they will want to run 800s at nationals.

I think it looks like it will be the selectors decision in full taking into account a lot of factors as below. My reading of it is that if it’s a close choice, those who competed at World relays will get the nod.

That's a choice those athletes have to make. 4x400m is a 400m event, not an 800m event. If those athletes want a place in the team for Tokyo, then they should have to race 400m at Nationals.

Sean Tobin running in Gothenburg Wednesday evening.
    Mark English, Sarah Healy, Nadia Power may also be taking part.
    I'm just not 100% on the later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Also noticed Luke McCann (1500m) in Montreuil tomorrow. John Travers (5000m) and Paul Robinson (1500m) in Huelva on Thursday. All look to have good fields.

Seems to be a load of races around this standard in the next couple of weeks - lots of opportunities for anyone who is able to travel / base themselves abroad. Would love to see John Travers improve on his 13:28 - 1500m and 3000m times from this year suggest he's in the shape to do it.

That's a choice those athletes have to make. 4x400m is a 400m event, not an 800m event. If those athletes want a place in the team for Tokyo, then they should have to race 400m at Nationals.

Completely disagree. You pick your best team. If it includes 800m runners or 400 hurdlers then so be it. If an 800m runner is trying to get the qualifying standard or qualification points at nationals for the Olympics but has ran the second or third fastest time over 400m this season; then they deserve to be considered.

Completely disagree. You pick your best team. If it includes 800m runners or 400 hurdlers then so be it. If an 800m runner is trying to get the qualifying standard or qualification points at nationals for the Olympics but has ran the second or third fastest time over 400m this season; then they deserve to be considered.

Yes, but if they haven't run a 400m at all though?

I see no justification for Purcell or Bromell to make that team right now unless they actually run a 400m, whether at Nationals or elsewhere. Right now they are not in the discussion. They can change that of course. That's their choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Yes, but if they haven't run a 400m at all though?

I see no justification for Purcell or Bromell to make that team right now unless they actually run a 400m, whether at Nationals or elsewhere. Right now they are not in the discussion. They can change that of course. That's their choice.

To be fair I don’t think anyone suggested they be selected without running some 400m. In fact everyone before you post who mentioned them said ‘if they run 400m times’ or similar

Your post seemed to suggest they should only be selected if they run the national championship at 400m

Now you’ve changed that above so I think everyone is on the same page now (more or less!)

Ceepo wrote: »
    Sean Tobin running in Gothenburg Wednesday evening.
    Mark English, Sarah Healy, Nadia Power may also be taking part.
    I'm just not 100% on the later

Thomas Barr and Phil Healy also taking part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 MichiganIrish

Fine run from Luke McCann 3.36.81 in 1500m at Montreuil. Knocking lumps out of his PB this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭wgtomblin

Fine run from Luke McCann 3.36.81 in 1500m at Montreuil. Knocking lumps out of his PB this year.

Finished in a clutch of 5 or 6 runners, in some good company. Invaluable experience.
    Race can be watched here, about 2h18 into the vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YdPS7IwV98

He tied up badly in the last 50, he was the same distance after the 1st lap behind the winner than where he finished.

Hope this is the right link for Gothenburg this evening.

https://www.topsportshd.us/athletics.php?live=Gothenburg+Athletics+Grand+Prix+2021

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

wgtomblin wrote: »
    Finished in a clutch of 5 or 6 runners, in some good company. Invaluable experience.
    Race can be watched here, about 2h18 into the vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YdPS7IwV98

What number is he?

Was he the only Irish that competed so far?

4.07.79 PB and a win over 1500m for Sarah Healy at the Gothenburg Athletics GP

A first place 49.02(SB) at the Gothenburg Athletics GP for Thomas Barr over the 400mH

Ciara Neville 11.47 (SB) over 100m for 2nd place in Slovakia

O'donnell 2nd and 46.16

4.07.79 PB and a win over 1500m for Sarah Healy at the Gothenburg Athletics GP

A first place 49.02(SB) at the Gothenburg Athletics GP for Thomas Barr over the 400mH

Ciara Neville 11.47 (SB) over 100m for 2nd place in Slovakia

O'donnell 2nd and 46.16

Thanks. Will try to find the races.

Tobin up now.

• Advertisement

Tobin up now.

Advertisement