Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    Shamelessly lifted from another forum...
    50969679528_07e9fba621_b.jpg

Two Gixxer 250 engines, gloriously conjoined to make a straight 8.

How good does this sound?

Pointless and brilliant.

A whole 40 hp that sounds like a banshee.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,919 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Rewire the stator direct to the Reg/rec, then from Reg/rec direct through a fuse to Battery. This is a simple mod and greatly increases the charging system reliability.
    The way Honda designs and makes the loom is stupid, through the whole loom before coming back to Battery, lots of losses and poor charging as a result.

The standard non-MOSFET R/Rs are crap anyway, run hot and frequently fail. You can get MOSFET R/R kits with loom to go directly to stator and battery, easy job.

goblin59 wrote: »
    haha, I will hopefully actually do it. I did my IBT and test last year with the plan to travel across Europe to a camping festival. Unfortunately Covid put an end to that xD

No harm getting experience here before going overseas. Plenty of great roads and nice places to see here.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    You have to remember that's the generation where houses cost 5e and jobs were given to people.

Sarcasm...?

I suppose the hundreds of thousands of people who emigrated in the 70s and 80s were just doing it for the craic...

Dunno how old you are but unless you were at least a teenager here in the 80s you wouldn't believe how grim and hopeless it was, houses were "cheap" because so few people had jobs, low pay, sky high taxes and there was massive emigration. Also interest rates were through the roof so a small mortgage still cost a lot to pay each month.

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    Two Gixxer 250 engines, gloriously conjoined to make a straight 8.

Crank detonating in 3... 2... 1... there's a reason straight-8s went out of style close on 100 years ago.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Breezin

The standard non-MOSFET R/Rs are crap anyway, run hot and frequently fail. You can get MOSFET R/R kits with loom to go directly to stator and battery, easy job.

No harm getting experience here before going overseas. Plenty of great roads and nice places to see here.

Sarcasm...?

I suppose the hundreds of thousands of people who emigrated in the 70s and 80s were just doing it for the craic...

Dunno how old you are but unless you were at least a teenager here in the 80s you wouldn't believe how grim and hopeless it was, houses were "cheap" because so few people had jobs, low pay, sky high taxes and there was massive emigration. Also interest rates were through the roof so a small mortgage still cost a lot ...

It's all the boomers' fault man. Don't you know they invented capitalism!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭horse7

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭robbie_63

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,919 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

N20 is a lethal road, should have been made a motorway years ago.

Life ain't always empty.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0225/1199382-cork-rtc/
    Just looking at the picture of the road, it looks a nice straightish one,. Is it twisty or hilly with brows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

N20 is a lethal road, should have been made a motorway years ago.

And the greens don’t want the M20 built

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

https://www.femamotorcycling.eu/ep-technical-inspections/?fbclid=IwAR2Ejf0z-ZfWkjAjEzo-NGE3J3iggIWYA4XXrLweuEBlO5F29o9SbWtXlIk
    The European Parliament wants mandatory periodic technical inspections for all motorcycles and mopeds in every member state. No exceptions.

Despite not currently living in Ireland, this worries me as I want to being my Harley home with me in a year or 2. Can't imagine it would pass something like this :(

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

[Re the condition of that bit of the N20]

That bit is fairly straight, but in general its v poor. V surprising the car driver died, that is rare. I could guess what happened but not fair to speculate with zero facts.

The Greens - could they wait until our road network is to European norms. The only roads being built are between urban centres, where they want to herd everyone into. We can't all take the train - esp if living in Ballygobackwards.

• Advertisement

Yes, from the picture,it looks like a straight road.

https://monimoto.com/uk/ride/4/

Anyone got one of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

horse7 wrote: »
    https://monimoto.com/uk/ride/4/

Anyone got one of these.

friend of mine has one in his ducati.
    I wouldn't mind getting something like that in my bikes.

I was looking at the the basic simcard style one

Read somewhere you can use
    Your own SIM.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Zebbedee

Got a spare wheel for my bike. Going to clean it and spray it. Can any local tyre place take the old tyre off for me? Or do they tyre machines they have are only for car wheels?

Any decent tyre fitters would be able to remove a tyre for you.
    Also an easy enough job you could do yourself if you had a couple of pry bars to use as tyre levers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭newmember2

Got a spare wheel for my bike. Going to clean it and spray it. Can any local tyre place take the old tyre off for me? Or do they tyre machines they have are only for car wheels?

Lots of car places cannot do motorbike wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭newmember2

I was tempted to hack at it alright but I don't have any pry bars so it could get messy and/or I'll wreck myself doing it :pac:

Whereabouts are you located?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Zebbedee wrote: »
    Any decent tyre fitters would be able to remove a tyre for you.
    Also an easy enough job you could do yourself if you had a couple of pry bars to use as tyre levers.

Easy and tyres isn't really true . Do able.

Not easy :)

Stupid question, probably.

But bought one of those battery chargers in Lidl there two weeks back. Charging up the motorcycle battery as it's not getting a run alot.

What's the difference between the Lidl charger and say a trickle charger or are they the same thing or can the Lidl one be left plugged in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Having a shed built in the next couple of weeks and VERY happy about it. Delighted I'll finally have the VFR out of the weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

listermint wrote: »
    Stupid question, probably.

But bought one of those battery chargers in Lidl there two weeks back. Charging up the motorcycle battery as it's not getting a run alot.

What's the difference between the Lidl charger and say a trickle charger or are they the same thing or can the Lidl one be left plugged in ?

The Lidl charger is a smart charger built to a price, what it does is use basic sensing to determine the batteries state of charge and apply current until the desired charge level is achieved.
    It will then go into float mode and keep the battery at that state of charge with small amounts of current.
    They are safe to leave connected for longer periods of time and will keep the battery topped up.

Trickle chargers apply a very small current continuously and are not able to sense the charge level and adjust their performance, they are in effect a tiny version of a standard dumb charger.

The drawback with the lidl chargers is that they will not charge a 12v battery that is below 10.5v, the circuitry can't distingush between a 6v that is over charged or a 12v that is undercharged.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    The Lidl charger is a smart charger built to a price, what it does is use basic sensing to determine the batteries state of charge and apply current until the desired charge level is achieved.
    It will then go into float mode and keep the battery at that state of charge with small amounts of current.
    They are safe to leave connected for longer periods of time and will keep the battery topped up.

Trickle chargers apply a very small current continuously and are not able to sense the charge level and adjust their performance, they are in effect a tiny version of a standard dumb charger.

The drawback with the lidl chargers is that they will not charge a 12v battery that is below 10.5v, the circuitry can't distingush between a 6v that is over charged or a 12v that is undercharged.

Grand so. Got mine from 11.9 to 14.4

• Registered Users Posts: 12,111 ✭✭✭✭blade1

ronanc15 wrote: »
    Having a shed built in the next couple of weeks and VERY happy about it. Delighted I'll finally have the VFR out of the weather.

Careful now, make sure it passes the boards shed committee standards.
    Last thing you want is your nice new shed frowned upon. :pac:

blade1 wrote: »

Now you've gone and started it!!

So is it timber or block.....haha

• Registered Users Posts: 12,111 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Anyone like to take a stab at how much this will go for

Screenshot-20210304-172913.jpg

Haha I did laugh to myself remembering that thread after posting. I've gone with a block built shed, 6m x 4m, but sure don't you know that still won't cut the mustard. Jokes aside, cant wait to get the fecking thing built.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭H_Lime

20 gazillions?

ronanc15 wrote: »
    Haha I did laugh to myself remembering that thread after posting. I've gone with a block built shed, 6m x 4m, but sure don't you know that still won't cut the mustard. Jokes aside, cant wait to get the fecking thing built.

Nice that's a good size shed, roughly how much is that costing?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Ronan this would look very well in the new shed.

• Advertisement

robbie_63 wrote: »
    Nice that's a good size shed, roughly how much is that costing?

4.5k is what I'm currently looking at and I'm fairly happy with that. Seems a nice chunk cheaper than steeltech alternatives. There will be a door and window included in that too but will most likely be second hand taken from another job.

Advertisement