Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭GBX

WD40 did the job. Always have some if not too much as I tend to pick it up in Lidl/Aldi too often instead of what I actually planned on getting there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Looking for recommendations for a helmet for my 10 year old if any of yiz bring yer kids on the bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

Looking for recommendations for a helmet for my 10 year old if any of yiz bring yer kids on the bike?

I think LS2 have a few kids specific lids.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭horse7

Motorad in finglas have some interesting used bikes for sale, I can send them pics of my bike for trade in, but they will only let me view a video of the bikes ,and deliver to me after payment. Has anyone else come across this?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭GBX

horse7 wrote: »
    Motorad in finglas have some interesting used bikes for sale, I can send them pics of my bike for trade in, but they will only let me view a video of the bikes ,and deliver to me after payment. Has anyone else come across this?

That's very strange - surely if they want to encourage you to buy they send the video before hand ??? :confused:
    Mate of mine bought from Kearys recently. He was sent videos of a couple of different bikes he was interested in before hand. Which is what I would think is the logical way places do business.

• Advertisement

Yip, you can see all the videos, but you have to purchase without a proper feel of the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

My mate had videos sent to him recently of a bike he was interested in and also sent a video of his bike he was trading in, when he "virtually" shook hands on it they then made an appointment for him to see the bike.

That makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,022 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

blade1 wrote: »
    Expensive, for a squirt on a cloth?
    I'll send you a euro, it'll keep you going a while. :pac:

Cleaning the sideplates isn't the same thing as cleaning the chain... that's all a squirt of anything on a cloth is going to do.

Goose81 wrote: »
    People say using petrol and stuff wears out the rings but if you change your chain when you should it shouldn't even matter , the chain and sprocket will wear out faster than any o rings.

The o-rings are there to keep in grease, grease lubricates the link pins so they wear much more slowly

What wears out sprockets on a roller chain isn't normal use, but the stretching of the chain due to wear in the link pins, so the links don't match up precisely with the teeth anymore and eventually wear them into a hook shape. This is why old sprockets with new chain or vice versa will wear each other out in no time. And if you have a chain oiler the sprockets will last a lot longer, not just the chain, because if the chain isn't stretching then the sprockets will wear very slowly.

A busted o-ring will usually lead to a seized link. Petrol absolutely will damage o-rings and wash out the grease behind the o-rings, anything you apply to the outside of the chain isn't going to replenish that.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Cleaning the sideplates isn't the same thing as cleaning the chain... that's all a squirt of anything on a cloth is going to do
    Well by the sounds of it that's all the squirt you'd give it would do :D

It's like anything, the more you keep on top of it the the less it takes to maintain it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

blade1 wrote: »
    Well by the sounds of it that's all the squirt you'd give it would do :D

It's like anything, the more you keep on top of it the the less it takes to maintain it.

A man after my own heart. My thinking is the chain should never need a 'deep clean' because it will always be clean. A wipe every couple rides and it'll look after itself. Not as easy on a commuter bike I know

That's why I avoid the sticky chain lubes, they attract dirt and grit, wax types are better imho but a chain oiler is by far the best

Life ain't always empty.

Battery charger 15 quid on sale in Lidl from Thursday.

https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/drive-time/car-battery-charger/p6506

Naturally it says "car" but I have the same one already and it has a bike mode and battery maintenance mode

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Battery charger 15 quid on sale in Lidl from Thursday.

https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/drive-time/car-battery-charger/p6506

Naturally it says "car" but I have the same one already and it has a bike mode and battery maintenance mode

Cheers for that my man. Deffo buying a couple as my optimate shat the bed and started overcharging and toasted my expensive odyssey a while back. Been using an old Aldi one between all the bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Stupid dumb ass question, but if you are using the bike regularly (ie commuting to and from work 2 or 3 times a week) do you need a charger?
    Bike is stored inside, in a garage attached to the house

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Stupid dumb ass question, but if you are using the bike regularly (ie commuting to and from work 2 or 3 times a week) do you need a charger?

How long is your commute? If its only a few K's it may not be putting back enough into the battery, lights/heated grips draw a fair bit of power.
    A decent spin should be OK though.
    I always found battery chargers to be a lot cheaper than a new Battery.

There's a battery tester in Lidl tomorrow for 5€ if you need peace of mind.
    https://www.lidl.ie/leaflet/thur-18th-wed-24th-february-2021-ie/view/flyer/page/16

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭H_Lime

An important factor in answering that is how your bike is charging. Put a multimeter set to 20v on the batt terminals and give us the readings at rest, started at idle, and 4k. Repeat with lights on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

I'd buy a good charger anyway, I find winter storage ****s up batteries the most. Get an SAE pigtail put onto your bikes battery and you can just plug it into the battery tender in seconds of getting home if you're worried.

You would know very quickly on an older bike if the battery wasn't charging or the rectifier wasn't up to scratch

Depends very much on the bike and how you use it.

I used to commute every day on my Triumph Sprint ST and the charging system on it was always a bit marginal. Commute about 11km each way but hard to get the revs above 2 or 3k for most of it. Plenty of time spent at red lights with 42W of stop lights on. Add on heated grips and an alarm and hardly ever any weekend spins :( and it was only just about putting back what was being taken out. A long weekend (never mind a week off) in winter could leave it struggling to start. Automatic headlights on really doesn't help here :rolleyes:

Bike had the optional relay added to give two dipped beams also, standard dipped beam on just one headlight was crap! Came with spotlights from the previous owner too, but after getting caught out early on in my ownership I never used them again because of the battery drain.

So that bike really benefitted from an overnight trickle charge every few weeks. After a few years the rec/reg went, and the new MOSFET unit connected directly to the battery was better than the standard one, but it still needed a charge every now and again.

The SV1000 has (or had!) the same usage pattern, twin headlights and automatic headlight on, and heated grips, but no alarm and LED stop/tail lights save a good bit of power too. Since Covid (and busted fork seals) I've left it idle for weeks without a run or charge and never any problem starting it, and when I do stick it on charge the charger always says full after 15 or 30 minutes.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement

Any update on your KTM clutch D3V!L?

did cityspares get it sorted out in the end

Anyone know if the BMW Gs1250 adventure 2019 comes with panniers as standard, also I know it has an immobilizer, but does it have an alarm as standard?

horse7 wrote: »
    Anyone know if the BMW Gs1250 adventure 2019 comes with panniers as standard, also I know it has an immobilizer, but does it have an alarm as standard?

I'd be very surprised if the Alarm isn't built in.

Panniers are most likely optional though as its a BMW, unless its varios which suck anyway

Did anyone see the Aldi chargers in their local Aldi?
    They were supposed to be in on 14th but didn't come to my local one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

It was Lidl, not Aldi, dont need one so haven't checked. Lidl are the better of the 2 according to a review o saw on YouTube

omerin wrote: »
    It was Lidl, not Aldi, dont need one so haven't checked. Lidl are the better of the 2 according to a review o saw on YouTube

No I know about the Lidl ones.
    The Aldi ones were supposed to be in last Sunday.
    I want a couple of the Aldi ones because they start charging when powered on whereas the Lidl one doesn't.
    I have a Lidl one,2 Aldi ones and an optimizer already.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Thanks for the replies lads.

My commute is about 20km each way, average speed would be about 60 so not exactly getting high revs . I don't have heated grips on it (yet) so the draw is pretty much from factory spec, its an NT700V Deauville.

I'll pick up a multimeter next week and report back to you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Rx713B

Lads who would be best to use tyo get a bike back from Germany?

Advertisement