Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Cienciano wrote: »
    Thing is, a lot of things could be exempt. I'm assuming they don't because if golfers are allowed to go outside 5km, then swimmers, then it'll be hillwalkers, then cyclists, then other sports with 2 like tennis. But of all things, fúcking golf? The elitists' old boys club sport? Not a good one for optics!
    Just imagine, I can't visit my sick 70 year old mam and chat to her in the garden because she's outside the 5km limit, police will stop me, but Ultan and Lorcan are fine waved through the same check point to go off and play a round of golf. Absolutely craxy

It's daft they'd stick their neck out and say something like that, as you say, what about x sport/ past time. We're all making sacrifices here.

Obviously I don't know much about your situation but if your mam lives at home she can be in your bubble. https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/3516d-support-bubbles/

GBX wrote: »
    Its survival of the fittest - gotta stay alert. As you said, others on the road dont look to see motorbikes.
    As for etiquette - if somebody wants to get by they will generally position themselves to show. Some will happily sit back. I've no problem letting somebody by me. Whats the hurry :)

Yes, this. Just do your thing, especially when starting out, don't get sucked into watching them in the mirror and end up messing up your road position for someone else, head up, eyes up. They'll get around you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

zubair wrote: »
    It's daft they'd stick their neck out and say something like that, as you say, what about x sport/ past time. We're all making sacrifices here.

Obviously I don't know much about your situation but if your mam lives at home she can be in your bubble. https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/3516d-support-bubbles/

Cheers, but the brother lives closer, he is part of her bubble already. It's a ****ty situation, she's pretty much missed a year of her grandkids lives, but these clowns want to play golf. After "golfgate" too, you'd think they'd STFU about fúcking golf. Wouldn't be surprised if they opened the dail bar while we're all stuck inside our 5km limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Breezin

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/fine-gael-senator-calls-for-exemption-to-5km-travel-limit-for-golfers-and-sea-swimmers-1.4491905

Jesus they're gas lads, don't ride your bike more than 5K on your own or Covid will get ya but leave the old farts play golf in pairs. Do these guys ever think of looking for anything that isn't directly in their own interest for once?

Can't see the problem with golf, even though it's not a sport I ever want to take part in. It's outdoors, and pretty distanced. Same with lots of other outdoor activities, including motorcycling.

I read yesterday that they would consider removing the 5k limit except for the fact that some dimwit drafting the legislation linked it to the ban on evictions. If they lift the limit rule, they inadvertently allow evictions. How dumb is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭robbie_63

Yes, this. Just do your thing, especially when starting out, don't get sucked into watching them in the mirror and end up messing up your road position for someone else, head up, eyes up. They'll get around you.

Yeah that's what I was doing yesterday I saw him come up behind me from a long way back and assumed he would blast past but then he slowed up behind so I was watching for him to see would he make a move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭raven41

Have a mental note of all graveyards and am either coming from/going to one on my spins. Have been studiously ignoring all lockdown restrictions since the start of Feb as from what I can see they dont make sense any more.I think as a nation we have lost the power of reason and these days have a tendency to roll over and do what those in power tell us to do regardless of how ludicrous it is.
    Dont play golfor sea swim but I cant think of a more solitary pursuit (apart from biking). Was out around Nth Co Dublin on Sunday and loads of people, biking,cycling,walking, jogging and parks also full of families. Govt have lost touch with reality and are taking an absolutist approach to public safety which doesnt work in the real world (and will be harder to enforce with the weather getting better).
    Am all for social distancing/washing hands but its gone on long enough now and not a lot of light to be seen at the end of the tunnel. For anyone else who wants to comply with restrictions, I say fair play to you, but for me, Im done with it and am getting on with my life.

raven41 wrote: »
    Am all for social distancing/washing hands but its gone on long enough now and not a lot of light to be seen at the end of the tunnel. For anyone else who wants to comply with restrictions, I say fair play to you, but for me, Im done with it and am getting on with my life.

Very honorable of you to wash your hands, here's to selfless acts like this, if only there were more like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭raven41

Very honorable of you to wash your hands, here's to selfless acts like this, if only there were more like you.

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. But thanks for making a very constructive point!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

What's with the bikes on Facebook that are looking for a swap only? Are they stolen or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭blade1

D3V!L wrote: »
    What's with the bikes on Facebook that are looking for a swap only? Are they stolen or something?

Any examples?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

blade1 wrote: »
    Any examples?

Heres one from today

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1750093671921225/permalink/2714683688795547/?sale_post_id=2714683688795547

There's another one for a Bandit down in Cork that i'll have to dig out. The lad selling it looks like he's about 14.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Anybody got any recommendations on brand/where to buy a chain/sprocket set for my NSR125. I have seen a few sets on ebay but I really dont know what is a good brand.

I'd always go for D.I.D chain.
    Several options for sprockets.
    JT is one.

Check out this crowd for chain and sprockets.
    I think they were around 50euro
    cheaper for me than anywhere else.
    Shipping is €13.50.

Double check that part fits your bike.

https://www.carpimoto.it/en-IE/Bike_Honda_NSR-125/7260_HO-0122-DID-520VX3-Chain-13.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

I'd always go for D.I.D chain.
    Several options for sprockets.
    JT is one.

I'd go DID and JT too,

usually you can get a deal on them as a package.

https://www.xlmoto.ie/mc-parts/chains--sprockets_c53/chain--sprocket-kits_c83/jt--did-gg-520zvmx-x-ring-chain--sprocket-kit_pid-PP-086086?v=7748

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Anybody got any recommendations on brand/where to buy a chain/sprocket set for my NSR125. I have seen a few sets on ebay but I really dont know what is a good brand.

https://www.xlmoto.ie/_opid-nsr-125_v7759

I just picked a 1986 version as I don't know what year yours is
    Will give you an idea of the price

Only thing i would say is double check the number of links in the chain
    I had ordered the wrong length :-(

Also bear in mind you would need a chain breaking / Riviting tool

DiD seem to be well regarded
    I got an RK one and have not had any issues with it

If you're in Dublin, Lightning, I can pop over with my chain breaker / riveting tool.

Finally had a reason for some essential travel beyond the 5k, took the bike of course. 70% motorway, got soaked. Loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Finally had a reason for some essential travel beyond the 5k, took the bike of course. 70% motorway, got soaked. Loved it.

Maybe we all have the same reason,
    If you just tell us what it is.

Maybe we all have the same reason,
    If you just tell us what it is.

I went through a checkpoint in my car earlier.
    The guard gave me a good eyeing up as I approached and was preparing to stop.
    He then waved me on.
    Made me wonder what was it by looking at me through my windscreen that made him wave me on... or what would have made him stop me even...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

goblin59 wrote: »
    If you're in Dublin, Lightning, I can pop over with my chain breaker / riveting tool.

Any recommendations for a chain tool?

I used split-links on a 520 chain but now with a 525 need to upgrade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anyone know the story with insurance if leaving the bike for a couple of years? Plan is to sell the bike soon, buy a car, get absolutely shafted on insurance for that and then hopefully in 18-24 months have enough money to buy another bike and get insured again.

At what point do you lose your NCB when you dont have a policy? And is it literally all the way back to square one or would you get any credit at all for 10+ years of biking with no claims?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Anyone know the story with insurance if leaving the bike for a couple of years? Plan is to sell the bike soon, buy a car, get absolutely shafted on insurance for that and then hopefully in 18-24 months have enough money to buy another bike and get insured again.

At what point do you lose your NCB when you dont have a policy? And is it literally all the way back to square one or would you get any credit at all for 10+ years of biking with no claims?

2 years.

Any recommendations for a chain tool?

I used split-links on a 520 chain but now with a 525 need to upgrade.

I got the oxford one from bikeworld,
    Expensive but does a few chain types.

I used a angle grinder to remove the chain on the BMW last time, but for getting the chain on, its pretty easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

2 years.

So is it correct to say after 2 years with no policy you are back to square one, i.e you'll pay the same as someone who is just learning to ride and getting their first ever policy.

So is it correct to say after 2 years with no policy you are back to square one, i.e you'll pay the same as someone who is just learning to ride and getting their first ever policy.

Hard to predict what insurance companies do but yeah possibly.
    What you pay seems to depend on how much they want your custom at a given time more than a fixed rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Video on how to use the break and rivit tool
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-vb5qiogWE

Watched this before doing my own chain same tool

Not quite. You just have 0 NCB accumalated. It's like when I earn brownie points with the missus, I'm saving them up and getting all the perks that come with them and then just like that, they're gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Shamelessly lifted from another forum...
    50969679528_07e9fba621_b.jpg

Two Gixxer 250 engines, gloriously conjoined to make a straight 8.

How good does this sound?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0kBJ5cY7Vk

Pointless and brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Lorddrakul wrote: »

Pointless and brilliant.

It sounds like an entire race :D

• Advertisement

Lorddrakul wrote: »

Pointless and brilliant.

A fella I know who does Autograss has 2 gsxr1000 in his buggy.

Advertisement