Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Thanks for the replies lads.

My commute is about 20km each way, average speed would be about 60 so not exactly getting high revs . I don't have heated grips on it (yet) so the draw is pretty much from factory spec, its an NT700V Deauville.

I'll pick up a multimeter next week and report back to you

All the Hondas I had (3) the electrics were poor, I blew a lot of bulbs and I had a lot of flat batteries. I'm fairly certain this is a Honda thing. I'd get a trickle charger, but a jump start power pack was what I could have done with at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭raven41

Rx713B wrote: »
    Lads who would be best to use tyo get a bike back from Germany?

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000563754778
    This guy comes highly recommended...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭blade1

blade1 wrote: »
    Did anyone see the Aldi chargers in their local Aldi?
    They were supposed to be in on 14th but didn't come to my local one.

They were there this morning

IMG-20210220-120826.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

blade1 wrote: »
    They were there this morning

IMG-20210220-120826.jpg

Bought one of those in Aldi about a month ago seems to be well made and had to use it on the car about a week later as the battery was on its way out
    Good timing :-)

Also put on the bike for a day after the weather was muck and I did not get out on it for a week

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

zubair wrote: »
    All the Hondas I had (3) the electrics were poor, I blew a lot of bulbs and I had a lot of flat batteries. I'm fairly certain this is a Honda thing. I'd get a trickle charger, but a jump start power pack was what I could have done with at the time.

Rewire the stator direct to the Reg/rec, then from Reg/rec direct through a fuse to Battery. This is a simple mod and greatly increases the charging system reliability.
    The way Honda designs and makes the loom is stupid, through the whole loom before coming back to Battery, lots of losses and poor charging as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

Stupid dumb ass question, but if you are using the bike regularly (ie commuting to and from work 2 or 3 times a week) do you need a charger?
    Bike is stored inside, in a garage attached to the house

If you're driving your bike every day you shouldn't need to charge the battery. I've left bikes months without charging and they were grand. The only time I'd be concerned is when the weather is extremely cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Rewire the stator direct to the Reg/rec, then from Reg/rec direct through a fuse to Battery. This is a simple mod and greatly increases the charging system reliability.
    The way Honda designs and makes the loom is stupid, through the whole loom before coming back to Battery, lots of losses and poor charging as a result.

It's a good suggestion but I thought buying a Yamaha would be easier.

zubair wrote: »
    It's a good suggestion but I thought buying a Yamaha would be easier.

Indeed it probably is, my suggestion is merely one for the record. Honda don't make a bad engine or bikes but their electrical design was not as good.
    For the record I am considering a CP2 powered machine next.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

The spring appears to have landed here in Switzerland. Sunny and even a bit warm. I went for a hike yesterday and the whole place was ringing with sound of motorbikes :).

The are a lot of bikes here anyway but Mother of God yesterday was unreal. Only wish I had mine here. I'd love to come back sometime after Covid and spend a few days spinning round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

PCeeeee wrote: »
    The spring appears to have landed here in Switzerland. Sunny and even a bit warm. I went for a hike yesterday and the whole place was ringing with sound of motorbikes :).

The are a lot of bikes here anyway but Mother of God yesterday was unreal. Only wish I had mine here. I'd love to come back sometime after Covid and spend a few days spinning round.

I'll be up in switzerland once I get a chance, I've a friend in Mohlin I said I would visit

• Advertisement

goblin59 wrote: »
    I'll be up in switzerland once I get a chance, I've a friend in Mohlin I said I would visit

I'm always saying I'll do things but post covid I think I'll havta actually start doing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

I'm always saying I'll do things but post covid I think I'll havta actually start doing them.

haha, I will hopefully actually do it. I did my IBT and test last year with the plan to travel across Europe to a camping festival. Unfortunately Covid put an end to that xD

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Breezin

Story of my life!

goblin59 wrote: »
    haha, I will hopefully actually do it. I did my IBT and test last year with the plan to travel across Europe to a camping festival. Unfortunately Covid put an end to that xD

Things can be eye wateringly expensive here but honest to God the place is stupidly beautiful. The secondary roads are the place to be through picture perfect old villages and towns, through the hectares of vineyards and up into the mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭emo72

Where's the Sunday spin thread gone? Deleted due to covid or something? Went back 8 months but couldn't find it. Anyway was out yesterday and loads of nice bikes out and about. First sunny Sunday off the year, boom! Bikes are back.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

emo72 wrote: »
    Where's the Sunday spin thread gone? Deleted due to covid or something? Went back 8 months but couldn't find it. Anyway was out yesterday and loads of nice bikes out and about. First sunny Sunday off the year, boom! Bikes are back.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056728342/74

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭blade1

emo72 wrote: »

tenor.gif ::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭emo72

There it is Jimmy, boards search engine is the worst in the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2021-harley-davidson-pan-america-1250-debut/

2021-harley-davidson-pan-america-017.jpg
    Harley is asking $17,319 for the base Pan America and $19,999 for the Special. For comparison, BMW's base R1250 GS starts at $17,995 and has a relatively extensive list of available options. The more expensive GS Adventure comes in at $20,345. The KTM 1290 Adventure S is $18,599 and the Triumph Tiger 1200 starts at $16,500. The Multistrada trumps them all, with the base model asking $19,995 and the S model commanding a price of $24,095.

As a Harley owner, I was expecting this to cost an absolute fortune, so the fact it comes in at a relatively competitive price is impressive. I also kinda like the look (all adventure bikes are ugly though).

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2021-harley-davidson-pan-america-1250-debut/

2021-harley-davidson-pan-america-017.jpg

As a Harley owner, I was expecting this to cost an absolute fortune, so the fact it comes in at a relatively competitive price is impressive. I also kinda like the look (all adventure bikes are ugly though).

Those are US prices, you can expect them to be a small bit higher over here.
    31% Tariffs on US made MC's thanks to the Orange Man and his trade war.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Those are US prices, you can expect them to be a small bit higher over here.
    31% Tariffs on US made MC's thanks to the Orange Man and his trade war.

True, it is still competitive for a HD, they usually run crazy money. The higher end model has a lot of electric bells and whistles on it to boot!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Weird looks but I think that's standard with adventure bikes. Don't think it'll be popular outside America, in Ireland harley guys seem to want the harley image. Chrome and tassels (sorry if you own one :pac:) so i can't picture the harley guys wanting it. And the adventure touring guys won't take it seriously as its a harley.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

Someone lost their life on a bike in the last couple of days and today there was a serious accident car v bike. Hope he makes a full recovery. A lot of us who dont use their bikes day in day out are prepping their bikes now for better weather and an easing of the 5km limit, so take it easy out there

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

omerin wrote: »
    Someone lost their life on a bike in the last couple of days and today there was a serious accident car v bike. Hope he makes a full recovery. A lot of us who dont use their bikes day in day out are prepping their bikes now for better weather and an easing of the 5km limit, so take it easy out there

Always, always, always assume the absolute worst of other road users as quite often, you'll be proven right and hopefully live to tell the tale.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭enrique66_35

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/fine-gael-senator-calls-for-exemption-to-5km-travel-limit-for-golfers-and-sea-swimmers-1.4491905

Jesus they're gas lads, don't ride your bike more than 5K on your own or Covid will get ya but leave the old farts play golf in pairs. Do these guys ever think of looking for anything that isn't directly in their own interest for once?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭robbie_63

omerin wrote: »

RIP to the fellow rider and hope the other one makes a good recovery.

I was out on Sunday for a quick spin to get Petrol and first roundabout I entered a car went straight through from the left hand side, never even saw me on the roundabout already!

I'm only biking 6 months and already been knocked off by a car!

Coming home last night and met a fellow biker on a lovely GSXR 600, what's the general etiquette for letting another bike past, I just gave him a flash of the indicator to let him know to pass as I'm still slow on roundabouts \ junctions

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

robbie_63 wrote: »
    RIP to the fellow rider and hope the other one makes a good recovery.

I was out on Sunday for a quick spin to get Petrol and first roundabout I entered a car went straight through from the left hand side, never even saw me on the roundabout already!

Coming home last night and met a fellow biker on a lovely GSXR 600, what's the general etiquette for letting another bike past, I just gave him a flash of the indicator to let him know to pass as I'm still slow on roundabouts \ junctions

I was out on a lesson last week and was nearly cleaned on a roundabout. My instructor pulled over after to see if I was OK. Some aul dear down around South County Dublin, they don't like us inside the canal folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭GBX

robbie_63 wrote: »

Its survival of the fittest - gotta stay alert. As you said, others on the road dont look to see motorbikes.
    As for etiquette - if somebody wants to get by they will generally position themselves to show. Some will happily sit back. I've no problem letting somebody by me. Whats the hurry :)

I think there are a lot of rusty drivers around after lockdown, I know standards are poor at the best of times but lately it seems worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/fine-gael-senator-calls-for-exemption-to-5km-travel-limit-for-golfers-and-sea-swimmers-1.4491905

Jesus they're gas lads, don't ride your bike more than 5K on your own or Covid will get ya but leave the old farts play golf in pairs. Do these guys ever think of looking for anything that isn't directly in their own interest for once?

Thing is, a lot of things could be exempt. I'm assuming they don't because if golfers are allowed to go outside 5km, then swimmers, then it'll be hillwalkers, then cyclists, then other sports with 2 like tennis. But of all things, fúcking golf? The elitists' old boys club sport? Not a good one for optics!
    Just imagine, I can't visit my sick 70 year old mam and chat to her in the garden because she's outside the 5km limit, police will stop me, but Ultan and Lorcan are fine waved through the same check point to go off and play a round of golf. Absolutely craxy

Advertisement