Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,687 ✭✭✭✭listermint

H_Lime wrote: »
    Ah brill. You're painting over powder?
    Does she need much fixing, how's the engine?
    Bang up a thread man;)

Are these powder coated ? Presumed paint..

I'd be painting rather than powder. Keep costs down. It's not too bad spots here and there. But want it looking like it wasn't painted , by me at least :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭H_Lime

listermint wrote: »
    Are these powder coated ? Presumed paint..

I'd be painting rather than powder. Keep costs down. It's not too bad spots here and there. But want it looking like it wasn't painted , by me at least :)
    What I meant was you are favouring paint instead of powder? You can paint over powder if you have key alright. Considering the work in getting her stripped bare assed if it were me I'd go the extra mile in having it coated. Some lads prefer paint tho it has to be said. Will prob paint the gs tbh...
    Your man doing powder out in dunboyne is very cheap in comparison to others, give him a bell. Actually I'm assuming these lads are still up and running during poxdemic....

Going from this crusty mess
    IMG-20200102-235414.jpg

rbt.jpg
    To this all blasted and plastic coated is mega.
    Keep the picktars coming!

What's the crack with the VIN sticker though warm it up and carefully remove it ?

What's the crack with the VIN sticker though warm it up and carefully remove it ?
    Post a pic of it. If it's a foil sticker you stand a decent chance with the hairdryer I'd say. If it won't come away cleanly you're faced with masking it.
    Let the coater do this as he should have high temp tapes for this. In the past on the blue dr the fella I used just applied the powder all over and then carefully dabbed it away prior to baking but it kinda crept into it a bit. There was a model designation sticker it ran into too:(
    Best bet is removal which is what I did on the one above but it was a plate with two brass peened rivets which I managed to remove and re peen.

Looks like just a standard off the shelf sticker. Not foil nothing special il give it a gentle heat lash on a corner and stop if needed. Prefer it off to coat the lot obviously.

• Advertisement

[PHP][/PHP]
    Looks like just a standard off the shelf sticker. Not foil nothing special il give it a gentle heat lash on a corner and stop if needed. Prefer it off to coat the lot obviously.

Yeah be ideal deffo. A good idea as I think about it is to take some good pics of it first. I have a graphic designer friend who I supplied pics of unobtainium decals to and he re drew them and printed on 7 Yr vinyl. I cut them out with a scalpel and ruler and various curves surfaces thereafter.
    You could do the same, there a perverse pleasure to be obtained by applying oem stickers and vin plates to fresh powder!! :cool:
    Do as Goblin and Lightning have and put up a thread. I did that with my rebuilds and always came across good ideas I hadn't thought of when I hit a problem.

H_Lime wrote: »
    [PHP][/PHP]

Yeah be ideal deffo. A good idea as I think about it is to take some good pics of it first. I have a graphic designer friend who I supplied pics of unobtainium decals to and he re drew them and printed on 7 Yr vinyl. I cut them out with a scalpel and ruler and various curves surfaces thereafter.
    You could do the same, there a perverse pleasure to be obtained by applying oem stickers and vin plates to fresh powder!! :cool:
    Do as Goblin and Lightning have and put up a thread. I did that with my rebuilds and always came across good ideas I hadn't thought of when I hit a problem.

Just going to YouTube the whole thing and become a billionaire. Hitting several million subscribers in days.

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Anybody got any tips for removing old stickers/decals from fairings? I hate having to sand them down. I have used a heat gun and tried using a knife but its slow work

Try petrol.
    It will dissolve the glue

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Well the stickers were well and truly stuck. Ended up grinding the gits off using my sander. Job done :pac:

****, that stuck on?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭blade1

goblin59 wrote: »
    ****, that stuck on?

Possibly lacquered over from factory.

• Advertisement

blade1 wrote: »
    Possibly lacquered over from factory.

the DR tank stickers were lacquered on.
    Used a angle grinder and sanding disc to get them off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

The amenity center by the kinsale road is not taking used oil, machine down for a while, so besides my local stream or donating it to an orange lodge, where else can i get rid. Have some old petrol aswell.

If only the greens were in power ....

Mentioned a few observations, another one is don't buy cheap tools particularly sockets, allen keys, screwdrivers, they will f you up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

omerin wrote: »
    The amenity center by the kinsale road is not taking used oil, machine down for a while, so besides my local stream or donating it to an orange lodge, where else can i get rid. Have some old petrol aswell.

Same last Dec. Nuisance. Did they say why?

Try Rafeen maybe. You can check by phone. Closed lunch-time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Saw a lad on the M50 give some throttle to get past someone and they had a fairly big wobble. Careful out there, cold and wet mornings, cold tyres grip is poxy

• Registered Users Posts: 34,022 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Keep the old petrol for cleaning parts etc. just use it outdoors - flammable and explosive vapour!

Life ain't always empty.

Same last Dec. Nuisance. Did they say why?

Try Rafeen maybe. You can check by phone. Closed lunch-time.

The machine is down, must be down since December or before.

Petrol is old and contaminated so not suitable to use

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭TheQ_Man

Complete noob here.

Hello to you all :p;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

TheQ_Man wrote: »
    Complete noob here.

Welcome. What do you ride?

zubair wrote: »

A CBR900 Fireblade
    A Suzuki Hayabusa
    A Kawasaki GPZ1000 :D

Complete noob here.

zubair wrote: »

I'm very suspicious! :cool:

• Advertisement

I'm very suspicious! :cool:

Do I know you good Sir :pac:

A CBR900 Fireblade
    A Suzuki Hayabusa
    A Kawasaki GPZ1000 :D

You're after thinning the herd.

Do I know you good Sir :pac:

Ah caught, how did u know I was a sir? :D

You're after thinning the herd.

I sold the scooter in mid October, the DL was sold in November.

I’m adding to the herd again this week as a 2 year project, what do I be doing at all :rolleyes:

Ah caught, how did u know I was a sir? :D

Anyone who’s had a blade is a Sir :D

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Picked up a helmet cam and went out for a bit of a scoot today

Just to charge up the battery and get some juice
    So I recorded a few mins of video just to see what the footage was like

It is Noisy as I was using the built in mic
    I Have since ordered the wired mic to go in the helmet so that should help

Anyway here goes the video is just a tester to see how I upload / share my footage so Lets see how it works :-) hopefully

http://www.driftlife.co/watch/44550

Anyone care to tell how I get the video to show in the post rather than just a link please
    Thanks

Think it needs to be a youtube link. Pic quality was good other then seeing part of your helmet, is it adjustable

omerin wrote: »
    Think it needs to be a youtube link. Pic quality was good other then seeing part of your helmet, is it adjustable
    You can change the field of view from 140% to 115 or 90% will loose the helmet for a more zoomed in view

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭robbie_63

Picked up a helmet cam and went out for a bit of a scoot today

Just to charge up the battery and get some juice
    So I recorded a few mins of video just to see what the footage was like

It is Noisy as I was using the built in mic
    I Have since ordered the wired mic to go in the helmet so that should help

Anyway here goes the video is just a tester to see how I upload / share my footage so Lets see how it works :-) hopefully

http://www.driftlife.co/watch/44550

Anyone care to tell how I get the video to show in the post rather than just a link please
    Thanks

Only skimmed through the video but I didn't see any wheelies, dangerous overtakes, near death misses!

You'll never make it on youtube at this rate!

• Advertisement

robbie_63 wrote: »
    Only skimmed through the video but I didn't see any wheelies, dangerous overtakes, near death misses!

You'll never make it on youtube at this rate!
    Yeah I will be giving bikers a bad name :-)

Advertisement