Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

I'd not let the mileage bother me anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I was looking at these before too - and depending on budget and actual requirement for load space, a V60 should be considered too. They also have a 2.0 5 cylinder option as well as 2.4

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I'd hold out for a D5 version rather than the 2.4d. Same engine, but the 2.4d is 170bhp ish and single turbo - D5 is twin turbo with over 200bhp.

Never driven a 2.4d - probably more than adequate, but you'd always be left with the nagging feeling that you settled for the cheaper alternative. Think the Co2 emissions were the same between them - just the 2.4d was cheaper to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

R.O.R wrote: »
    I'd hold out for a D5 version rather than the 2.4d. Same engine, but the 2.4d is 170bhp ish and single turbo - D5 is twin turbo with over 200bhp.

Never driven a 2.4d - probably more than adequate, but you'd always be left with the nagging feeling that you settled for the cheaper alternative. Think the Co2 emissions were the same between them - just the 2.4d was cheaper to buy.

I do see where you are coming from but I do have to take insurance into account also. I'm not sure they'd be happy with me having a twin turbo over 200bhp when they aren't even happy with the 5 series at the moment 2.0D

The 2.4D is actually giving me a good reduction in insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I do see where you are coming from but I do have to take insurance into account also. I'm not sure they'd be happy with me having a twin turbo over 200bhp when they aren't even happy with the 5 series at the moment 2.0D

The 2.4D is actually giving me a good reduction in insurance

Worth checking if there's any difference between a 2.4d and a D5 for insurance. I'd say it's the Volvo V70 making it cheaper than a 5 Series, as only sensible people drive Volvo's, and all sorts of scum drive BMW's :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Just looking through it's previous MOTs and it does look like the rear coil springs were corroded but were changed.

S60 wouldn't be far off a V70 at all. Has it been bad ?

It hasn't been bad per se but it has given a fair few issues. Parts are often dealer only and what is spurious is expensive (and thats with a family in the motor parts business) The 2.4 is very heavy on diesel too. I've enjoyed owning it but I would have changed a year ago only I knew i was emigrating. TBH it has felt like it will give up any moment for that whole year but it has stayed going to be fair. I think the engines are very strong and actually outlast the car itself but I wouldn't buy one again in a huge hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

tossy wrote: »
    What did he replace it with ?

10 yr old Merc....spotless.

(sorry for delay)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Just a quick question. If I buy a car this week, and tax is out since 4-19, do i have to pay the arrears for May on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

No. Only from this month

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

Anyway of checking online when a cars tax is expiring if you have the reg ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Go to place an ad on carsireland and it auto populates the tax expiry box when you enter the reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Family member has a 3 series touring that lost power recently. Local mechanic says turbo is gone. Also recommending chain gets done as it's rattling as well as some other bit that I'm not sure about. Anyway, quote for all this is 3300, and a quick done deal search tells me that if his car is working it's worth 5k. He's gonna get it repaired and drive it on, but I'm not sure if that's the right thing to do. Surely a 3300 bill on a 5k car means he should scrap it? His thought is get it fixed, drive it for another year then move on.

Does that sound reasonable too?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,150 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

3300 is fair chunk of change to be investing in it if he only plans on keeping for another year. If he was keeping it longer term I'd tend to spend the money on it but otherwise that 3300 might be better invested towards a newer car. I'd tend to cut it loose as is if only keeping it for such a short time or if spending that sort of money then keep it for the long haul. If he is hell bent on fixing it then maybe worth looking into reducing that 3300 bill by fitting a second hand turbo instead of a reconditioned one to see him through the next 12 months? Chain can also be replaced for around 1000 to 1200 on average these days so worth pricing the job elsewhere too.

If I were spending that sort of money on it then I'd be keeping it a good bit longer than 12 months to get some value from that outlay.

If it's worth 5k working now it'll be worth guts of that in a year too (working).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I don't know when exactly I turned into an econodiesel nut, but this thing is amazing:

483256.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What’s that, some sort of Ford?

jimgoose wrote: »
    I don't know when exactly I turned into an econodiesel nut, but this thing is amazing:.........

It's very, very good to be fair.
    Best I've seen has been 55mpg from a Fabia 1.4 tdi & a Octavia 1.6 5SM diesel combi.
    A Focus 1.5 diesel (model after yours) I got 50mpg from.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Think I'm just shy of 50 on the Mazda, which is decent given the car and how it's driven.
    I could probably crack 50 if I drove it easier and that, but that's no fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

This is about as good as it gets for me..

IMG-2976.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

^^^ Golf GTI/R?

• Advertisement

Just won Bank of Ireland's competition on Boards, for free motor/home insurance (to a max of €500). Hooray. I finally get some good motoring news.

I don't think €500 would cover my insurance for a year, but im already with BOI so it'll be a nice chunk towards it anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Weird thing is I was taking it easy since I got the Mégane....

Found out doing 126km/h I'm getting better fuel economy then when I had it at 114 to 118km/h...

Getting 5.3l/100km

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Wailin wrote: »
    ^^^ Golf GTI/R?

It's an R,spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

colm_mcm wrote: »
    What’s that, some sort of Ford?

2011 Focus Mk. II Style 1.6 TDCi 110.

Pff please....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

That's a Scania!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

Pff please....

I love the way it is set to display 2 decimal place precision because when your burning 29 liters of diesel per 100km it’s important to know about the .16 L/hr. Most cars seem to be be 1 decimal place which seems best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Howyis, I'm somewhat still about :p piss all has changed, you could say this is a post of filler. A lot has changed in the background though

Avensis to be shipped on soon, with a new clutch. I'll put it on here when it's ready. High miles, few marks on the body etc bah I'll write it up some other time

Right g'luck, back to my hiatus

Just a quick VRT question for you boys and girls

If one was to import a 2008 car into Ireland, is the choice still there to tax it on engine size or emissions or do they decide for you ?

Edit: gone off the V70 I was looking at because close inspections of the images show a bit of wear and tear as well as marks / dents on body and interior.

So I was looking at the SE Lux model a year older but 50K less miles , bit more money but spotless. Only kick is it omits 195g/km so on emissions tax it's €1,200 or engine size €1,080

Dont know if I should but I really like the car. The Lux is right up my street and the one I found on autotrader is a beaut in my eyes !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Just a quick VRT question for you boys and girls

If one was to import a 2008 car into Ireland, is the choice still there to tax it on engine size or emissions or do they decide for you ?

Edit: gone off the V70 I was looking at because close inspections of the images show a bit of wear and tear as well as marks / dents on body and interior.

So I was looking at the SE Lux model a year older but 50K less miles , bit more money but spotless. Only kick is it omits 195g/km so on emissions tax it's €1,200 or engine size €1,080

Dont know if I should but I really like the car. The Lux is right up my street and the one I found on autotrader is a beaut in my eyes !

Linky?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement