Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

cefh17 wrote: »
    Made smash burgers this evening, did the buns from scratch too, they turned out nicer than I thought they would compared to shop bought

What cheese did you use please.
    I usually put cheddar on but it doesn't melt as nice as your pic!

Is your sauce like Marie rose sauce, looks fab.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

ellejay wrote: »

Honestly I think it was the cheapest sliced processed cheese from Lidl! Once I flip the burger over the first time and add it I add a lid and the steam from the pan helps melt it. The sauce is a ketchup/mayo/pickle relish mix :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Honestly I think it was the cheapest sliced processed cheese from Lidl! Once I flip the burger over the first time and add it I add a lid and the steam from the pan helps melt it. The sauce is a ketchup/mayo/pickle relish mix :)

The nastier the cheese the better for a burger imo. Plenty of other times to eat good cheese.

Burger, cheese, cheese, burger is the way to stack it too imo. Makes a big difference.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

One advantage of our lockdown is that I got to try out a hotpot recipe that takes nearly 4 hours to do. The meat is meltingly tender.

I think I'll investigate a few more long recipes now that I've a bit of extra time.

Neyite wrote: »
    One advantage of our lockdown is that I got to try out a hotpot recipe that takes nearly 4 hours to do. The meat is meltingly tender.

I think I'll investigate a few more long recipes now that I've a bit of extra time.

Do you have a link to the recipe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Pea and prawn risotto topped with parmesan and crisped up bresaola. Not the healthiest, but f*ck me it's tasty.

FESrkh5.jpg?1

I followed this lad:
    https://youtu.be/gTGSUYMu6Ns

Been following him the last year or so. Looks like (and probably is) a total hipster, but to be fair to him, he really seems to know his stuff. Videos are a nice blend of sarcasm, enthusiasm and humour.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

ellejay wrote: »

Normal cheese doesn't melt the way people expect for burgers, it needs to have sodium citrate in it which all the processed cheese slices do. You can make similarly melty cheese from other cheeses by using sodium citrate yourself, if you have the time for it - plenty do now!

Been following him the last year or so. Looks like (and probably is) a total hipster, but to be fair to him, he really seems to know his stuff. Videos are a nice blend of sarcasm, enthusiasm and humour.

Yeah I only got into his stuff recently, total hipster but I like his stuff.. big bonus that he gives the weights in grams and not just cups and Oz!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Vegballs, mushroom gravy, mash and peas, with some raspberry jelly (had no lingonberry jam :( )
    This may easily be my new favourite dish. It tasted amazing.

gQ1excy.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Yesterday's dinner: one pot with spicy sausages and leeks.

As for tonight's dinner, I have got on the stove a pot with: stewing beef, sundried tomatoes and olives.
    For more flavour, I have added some Salsa Chipotle.

I found in my cupboard a gift from a friend who went to Mexico for his hols, with four mini-sauces (earlier this week, I used the Salsa Norteña for another dish)

4Mexicansalsas.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We had chicken stir fry tonight with teriyaki and a good dollop of sweet chilli sauce.

(I live in Continental Europe, and chicken gizzards are regularly stocked by my local supermarket)
    Tonight I am cooking a pot with chicken gizzards and frozen leeks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Managed to get frozen okra slices in Eurasia a week or so ago, so did a more authentic gumbo today - less (but still some) dark roux needed to get the same consistency.

Massive improvement in flavour and texture. Too much roux before!

Never used much frozen veg (other than peas in some curries) but for something you won't use often and/or something a bit rarer its really an obvious option.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

We had chicken with peppers, onions and garlic in a spicy tomato sauce with rice and beans.

IMG-20200404-184045.jpg

It's hard to see, but there's a part boned chicken breast underneath all that veg!

Dam tasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Had some leftover cabbage which gave rise to a hankering, which lead to okonomiyaki for dinner. Had to whip up vegetarian sauce, which wasn’t the best, but we soldier on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭Ryath

I followed this lad:
    https://youtu.be/gTGSUYMu6Ns

Made these tonight they were savage, genuinely one of the best burger buns I've ever had. Homemade burgers too, minced brisket done on the bbq over charcoal. Feel let down I didn't do homemade chips! :o The bread seemed a bit of a faff but I've made brioche bread plenty of times before the only extra really was the tangzhong. Technique to shape the buns was good to see. Thanks for the link

508278.jpg

508279.jpg

508280.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 499 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Made burgers for the housemates last night

Teriyaki mariated beef skewers with rice salad. From BBC.

QhZ0LTc.jpg?1

• Advertisement

Bolognese sauce with homemade italian-esque flatbreads. Been grazing all day (comes from cooking bolognese and bread) so not hungry enough for the pasta.

M2rzjdE.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭niallo76

Bombay potatoes and Tandoori chicken

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Had a lovely warm potato and salmon salad. Roasted cubes of potato in garlic and parsley, baked salmon with garlic and dill and served it on salad with a zingy dressing with capers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭Be right back

Chicken pad Thai.

Today's dinner: a hearty stew with borlotti beans, bacon cubes and millet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭Be right back

Bacon and mushroom tagliatelle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We had sweet & sour chicken tonight.

IMG-7821.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Did you make your own sauce? If yes, would you share please?

Did you make your own sauce? If yes, would you share please?

Yes I did, it's a new recipe and the nicest I've tried. It's someone I follow on Instagram, and recipe is at the top of her profile page. She uses Canderel sweetener but I used sugar, and I also needed more cornflour than stated in the recipe. The chicken is cooked in the Airfryer but can also be done in the oven - and I cooked the veg separately then added it to the finished sauce with the chicken. Sorry for the epistle, lol, but because it's in her book not all the details are on Instagram. It was very simple and delicious.

https://www.instagram.com/thedalydish/?hl=en

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

The sauce looks absolutely delicious. Yum. Gonna try something similar this weekend.

I was very satisfied with our meals today.

Breakfast - a fresh egg yolk and diced herb robert. I've been taking this every day first thing on an empty stomach and it's fantastic. Quick, tasty and keeps me going until lunch whenever I want that. We're saving the whites in the fridge to put into scrambled eggs or make meringues with tomorrow.

We did a lot of gardening all afternoon and then had lunch in the garden - mini chorizo, butternut squash, tomato and cheddar quiche with a bowl of wild garlic, potato and leek soup.

Beverages this the evening -
    Homemade lemonade with vodka
    Tea from lemon bee balm, local honey and a squeeze of lemon
    Cappuccino (milk frothed in a French press)

508718.jpg

Dinner hit the spot... duck in calamondin orange sauce with egg fried basmati. Calamondin trees can be kept in a window and bear citrus fruit year-round. Fried tomatoes from the greenhouse, yes biiiiy.
    508719.jpg

Advertisement