Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Badabing1

cefh17. Would you be able to tell me where you get pickle relish, couldn't see any in Lidl or SuperValu thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Badabing1 wrote: »
    cefh17. Would you be able to tell me where you get pickle relish, couldn't see any in Lidl or SuperValu thanks.

Hi, had a word with herself and it turns out she brought it back home with her from Sweden. But the name of it is "Bostongurka", seems to be like a normal pickle finely minced with red bell pepper, onions and mustard seed. Hop

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭niallo76

Roast Chicken,homemade chips and fakeaway KFC gravy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Buffalo Wings

20200404-201926.jpg

Unfortunately they only had drumsticks in SV.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

We had sweet & sour chicken tonight.

]

That really reminds me of my Dad's S&S.
    He became obsessed with it in the late 80s/early 90s and every family dinner was sweet and sour chicken.

For a man born in the 1920s he was pretty adventurous with food!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

This evening: a soup with frozen peas and bulgur wheat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

That really reminds me of my Dad's S&S.
    He became obsessed with it in the late 80s/early 90s and every family dinner was sweet and sour chicken.

For a man born in the 1920s he was pretty adventurous with food!

Was your dad the guy that breadcrumbed everything?
    Apologies if I mixed posts up, someone posted about their Dad.
    Sounds like a great cook to be fair - I really struggle to get breadcrumbs to coat evenly.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Ginger has reappeared in the supermarkets so I did a ginger chicken curry type dish. Very refreshing. I've missed ginger.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

PARlance wrote: »
    Ginger has reappeared in the supermarkets so I did a ginger chicken curry type dish. Very refreshing. I've missed ginger.

Got a rake of it myself! Do you have a recipe to link? :)

cefh17 wrote: »
    Got a rake of it myself! Do you have a recipe to link? :)

It's one I've made a few times and I tend to change slightly, depending on what's available.

Today's was

Marinate chicken breast, fairly big chunks
    Ginger, big thumb plus some, finely chopped
    Garlic, few cloves finely chopped
    Juice of Lime
    Olive oil, few glugs
    Handful of Coriander (leaving some for garnish)
    Chilli powder, tsp

Leave for a few hours in fridge.

Finely diced onion, on low to medium heat for 5 mins.
    Added a bell pepper and gave it another 5 mins.
    Add tsp of turmeric and fry off for a couple of minutes on high heat.
    In with all the chicken and others.
    Cook/sear chicken a few minutes before adding a can of coconut milk and chicken stock (one cube dissolved in half a cup)

Bring to boil and simmer for 30 mins.

Coriander and spring onion to garnish.

Served with rice and naan.

• Advertisement

Think this was the original link, didn't deviate as much as I thought. Left out the chilli as the kids aren't too keen just yet.

Very handy to make once you've got the chicken marinated.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/ginger-chicken

cefh17 wrote: »
    Hi, had a word with herself and it turns out she brought it back home with her from Sweden. But the name of it is "Bostongurka", seems to be like a normal pickle finely minced with red bell pepper, onions and mustard seed. Hop
    Thank you

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Buffalo Wings

Unfortunately they only had drumsticks in SV.
    They look lovely, how do you breadcrumb them? And did you use Frank's hot sauce,? I bought it but was disappointed with it, found it wasn't what I expected, was a bit watery and vinegary? Or maybe I'm doing something wrong.

They look lovely, how do you breadcrumb them? And did you use Frank's hot sauce,? I bought it but was disappointed with it, found it wasn't what I expected, was a bit watery and vinegary? Or maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I prefer the orange Franks,rather than the red...the red needs butter added to it.I use half a bottle for about 12 wings.I just heat it in a saucepan,and then pour over the cooked wings and make sure that each wing is covered in the sauce...then serve with a good dollop of sour cream.

ellejay wrote: »
    Was your dad the guy that breadcrumbed everything?
    Apologies if I mixed posts up, someone posted about their Dad.
    Sounds like a great cook to be fair - I really struggle to get breadcrumbs to coat evenly.

Yes.
    That was in the nostalgic food thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

We had Chicken Ramen on Monday. For what is essentially just soup, it is very labour intensive. Tasty though. :)

D3440-D1-E-23-DD-45-DC-92-D6-3-B57-A9-CA2-BBA.jpg

I don't breadcrumb. I take a bag and put in flour and a bunch of dry herbs (basil/ thyme etc) and spices (small pinch ground coriander, cumin, larger ammount paprika, cayenne, garlic powder, chili powder). Salt and pepper. I then add the chicken pieces and give a good shake.

The chicken can then be shaken off and left in a fridge for a while in a bowl. You can then prepare celery and blue cheese sauce (roughly 2 part sour cream to 1 part Mayo and about 1/2 teaspoon blue cheese. Maybe dash of lemon juice).

The chicken is shallow fried (can bake or deep fry). About 2-3 mins each side.

For the sauce, take about a cup of butter or margarine and add to a cup of Franks. Add a tablespoon white wine vinegar and a teaspoon garlic powder. Mix while heating, dont allow to boil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Had an M&S chicken and leek pie from their gastropub range. Not usually on for pre prepped meant but damm that was tasty, just had to recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,117 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Had an M&S chicken and leek pie from their gastropub range. Not usually on for pre prepped meant but damm that was tasty, just had to recommend.

M&S is in a different league with ready meals.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Chicken thigh fillets done with peri peri seasoning in the pan, served with long grain rice - steamed and a Mexican style bean salad.

This is quickly becoming one of our favourite dishes, only takes about twenty mins to make everything from scratch, is healthy and filling and really really tasty.

IMG-20200409-174857.jpg

• Advertisement

Great stuff, thanks for that, will try tomorrow night.
    I don't breadcrumb. I take a bag and put in flour and a bunch of dry herbs (basil/ thyme etc) and spices (small pinch ground coriander, cumin, larger ammount paprika, cayenne, garlic powder, chili powder). Salt and pepper. I then add the chicken pieces and give a good shake.

The chicken can then be shaken off and left in a fridge for a while in a bowl. You can then prepare celery and blue cheese sauce (roughly 2 part sour cream to 1 part Mayo and about 1/2 teaspoon blue cheese. Maybe dash of lemon juice).

For the sauce, take about a cup of butter or margarine and add to a cup of Franks. Add a tablespoon white wine vinegar and a teaspoon garlic powder. Mix while heating, dont allow to boil.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We had roast chicken with roasted potato chunks, root veg and onions.

IMG-7828.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Pasta with a vegetable tomato sauce. It was supposed to be Bolognese but I literally just remembered that I completely forgot to put any mince in it.

Hi I got this sauce in pic, do you still add butter to it please?
    It has the orange labelling that another posted mentioned but says Red Hot Wings sauce Buffalo.
    IMG_0543.JPG

It has the orange labelling that another posted mentioned but says Red Hot Wings sauce Buffalo.
    IMG_0543.JPG

That has fake butter already added.
    I haven't tried this one but it's, generally, not popular!

That has fake butter already added.
    I haven't tried this one but it's, generally, not popular!

ok thanks, I'l see if I can change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭Ryath

Korean style BBQ beef stir-fried rice. Being using up my smoked brisket over the last few days. Mostly as cold cuts but made a nice blue cheese salad with it yesterday. Recipe is from the Save with Jamie book. It's quite a good cookbook for using leftovers as a lot of the meals are based on doing a big Sunday roast and using the leftover meat. Can't find a printed copy of recipe just a video.

509044.jpg

IMG_0543.JPG

What the beer revolu said. This is 'pre prepared' Franks 'ready to go'. It will still be good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We had a pasta bake tonight, it was nice and light.

IMG-7835.jpg

IMG-7836.jpg

• Advertisement

IMG_0543.JPG

That's the one I use,I don't add butter to it...

Advertisement