Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭shaunadennyham

The mock exam was the criminal paper from March

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mmullen

Fe123 wrote: »
    I’m leaving them out. Going to focus on the more frequent topics and hope for the best! Void contracts have never come up

Same, leaving these out & hoping there’s no big surprise!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Fe1user5555

I’m so worried about this - I tend to sit with my shoulders tilted to the side and look to the side a lot when typing

Wondering if the law society will look into any of it all that much on top of all the issues with the system, timetable etc

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mmullen

orlaghs wrote: »
    Could someone advise me on whether the Sale of Goods Acts (1893 and 1980) permitted for contract are 100% necessary for the exam?

If so, does anyone have the number for OPW? Their email address gives an automated response saying their call centre is apparently closed??

edit: just received this email as i posted this! For anyone who needs to know-
    "In order to facilitate FE1 exams, Publications will temporarily open to provide legislation to anyone sitting exams on 12th November or later.

Legislation will be posted on Thursday 5th and Friday 6th November. If your exam is on the 6th November, this may not reach you on time but we will do our best to dispatch all legislation as soon as we receive emails."

It depends on you, but from my experience (never used legislation for EU or property & passed both with no issue) it’s really not the most important thing. If it’ll give you peace of mind bring it, but you need to know the sections you need to know if that makes sense, just focus on learning the relevance of the key sections and that will stand you in good stead for the exam. (Obviously this is just my experience so do what works for you!)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Lawwww2020

PROPERTY

What topics have people done for property? Starting to panic that I won’t have covered enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭KMPT

Hi guys. Can anyone tell me what the other 5 questions were for Property in March 2020 please? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Lozg

Lawwww2020 wrote: »
    PROPERTY

What topics have people done for property? Starting to panic that I won’t have covered enough

I am doing the following;
    Succession (two questions every year)
    Adverse possession (one question every year as far as I’m aware)
    Co-ownership (comes up most years)
    Easements (comes up most years)
    Finding
    Family Property

Hoping I’ll be covered with these

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Lawwww2020

Lozg wrote: »
    Finding
    Family Property

Exactly the same as me! Hopefully be okay

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭jus_me

Can anyone please tell me where I can still get the constitution delivered now? I can’t find my copy from March - panicking !

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Lozg

KMPT wrote: »
    Hi guys. Can anyone tell me what the other 5 questions were for Property in March 2020 please? Thanks

I don’t have the questions but I know which topics came up-
    Q.1- Adverse possession
    Q.2(a)-Covenants
    Q.2(b)- Easements
    Q.3(a)- Finding
    Q.3(b)- Licences
    Q.4- Succession
    Q.5(i)- Mortgages
    Q.5(ii)- Family property
    Q.5(iii)- Landlord and tenant
    Q.6- Landlord and tenant
    Q.7- Co-ownership
    Q.8- Succession

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 LawStudent96

Anyone any thoughts on the amount of statute law involved in Criminal, I'm sure its just as valuable marks wise but I'm not sure if case law is needed for every offence in statute to show the section in operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Samuma

Anyone any thoughts on the amount of statute law involved in Criminal, I'm sure its just as valuable marks wise but I'm not sure if case law is needed for every offence in statute to show the section in operation.

I wonder that too- and do we need to rhyme off each statute exactly as they are? I suppose if we can state as much as possible but not the exact words? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭rickmatt

Hi guys,

Anyone be able to send me the Constitutional Night before Notes from City Colleges, subscribed to their page amd all that but still haven't received the email :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28 KCSLAW

KMPT wrote: »

If you go onto LawHero's website she goes through the paper

I’m leaving out public order but covering innocence

Edit: Just realised I don’t have the brain capacity to cover innocence

Yeah I won't be doing them in any detail either. Would I be pushing it by leaving out Arrest?

Def no need to be worried about getting it precisely right I think the sentences are more important and any mens rea requirements

I'm working off a Criminal manual from 2018, is there any recent case law since (in the main topics) that I NEED to know about or will I be ok? (I know the recent provocation case)

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

Def no need to be worried about getting it precisely right I think the sentences are more important and any mens rea requirements

you don't need to know the sentences at all I would just be throwing them in for brownie points. You don't need to know the definitions but i would know the section of the act and be able to say if intention or recklessness is involved, is consent a defence etc.

awsah wrote: »
    you don't need to know the sentences at all I would just be throwing them in for brownie points. You don't need to know the definitions but i would know the section of the act and be able to say if intention or recklessness is involved, is consent a defence etc.

Yea course I would agree - sentences are easy to remember though because murder and aggravated rape is life and everything else is 14,10,7,5 or 1 years down to 6 or 3 months !

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

KCSLAW wrote: »
    I'm working off a Criminal manual from 2018, is there any recent case law since (in the main topics) that I NEED to know about or will I be ok? (I know the recent provocation case)

I have DPPv Da Silva which he literally based q1 on autumn 2019 exam on, this is where he was found not guilty of murder but guilty of manslaughter. DPP v McLoughlin (2018) found guilty of murder but he pushed a man down a rubblish shoot and did not intend to kill or cause serious harm (the man suffocated in the shoot) his case was quashed in the court of appeal but on a point of law. Both of those could be used in a quesiton where the issue or murder or manslaughter comes up.

I also have a law reform commission report from nov 2019 "knowledge or belief concerning consent in rape law. it states that the accused's belief in consent should be objetively reasonable and that juries should ahve regard to the accused's relevent decision making capacity and the steps if any that teh accused takes to ascertain whether the woman is consenting. The current law is subjectively honest, though unreasonable, mitaken belief that the woman was consenting.

spelling mistakes everywhere, can't be bothered to fix them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Fe123

Is everybody studying injunctions for equity? If so which

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭EmmaO94

I learned & quote the bare minimum re statute and still passed with a good mark - I remember I just had the key provisions for homicide & rape & a couple of assault ones I think, with maybe one or two more sprinkled in. Focused more on memorising the case law, worked me for anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭fe12020oct

Fe123 wrote: »
    Is everybody studying injunctions for equity? If so which

I’m looking at interloc/mandatory & quia timet !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Fe123

fe12020oct wrote: »
    I’m looking at interloc/mandatory & quia timet !

Thank you!!

awsah wrote: »
    I have DPPv Da Silva which he literally based q1 on autumn 2019 exam on, this is where he was found not guilty of murder but guilty of manslaughter. DPP v McLoughlin (2018) found guilty of murder but he pushed a man down a rubblish shoot and did not intend to kill or cause serious harm (the man suffocated in the shoot) his case was quashed in the court of appeal but on a point of law. Both of those could be used in a quesiton where the issue or murder or manslaughter comes up.

I also have a law reform commission report from nov 2019 "knowledge or belief concerning consent in rape law. it states that the accused's belief in consent should be objetively reasonable and that juries should ahve regard to the accused's relevent decision making capacity and the steps if any that teh accused takes to ascertain whether the woman is consenting. The current law is subjectively honest, though unreasonable, mitaken belief that the woman was consenting.

spelling mistakes everywhere, can't be bothered to fix them!

thank you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Healyjhow

what topics are peoples focusing on for essay questions for criminal tomorrow ? ......

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭rickmatt

Constitutional March 2020 Questions anyone????

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭DUMSURFER

I’m so worried about this - I tend to sit with my shoulders tilted to the side and look to the side a lot when typing

People, please... This is the Law Society we're talking about!

I'll worry about them watching the 3.5 hour tape of 100's of candidates and failing them for looking at their legislation, on the same day they figure out how to reply to an email :D

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭FE1new

Healyjhow wrote: »
    what topics are peoples focusing on for essay questions for criminal tomorrow ? ......

Classification of crimes, strict liability, mens rea, right to a solicitor and right to silence.

Omissions, arrest, bail and presumption of innocence came up last paper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭bluerthanu

Lozg wrote: »
    Finding
    Family Property

I'm the same except swapping family for licences purely because RoR's and either contractual/estoppel licences are often an (a) and (b) question. Hopefully we should all be okay!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement